• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa...

Ninty didn't forget Dillon

fry-wigoutg5kb3.gif

Anyone want to have roster entries based on eShop?

Ryce

Nah, those characters are too inconsequential. If they meant anything to Nintendo they'd have retail titles. "Vanpool's download-only game" would stick out like a sore thumb among the other franchises with playable characters.

fisheyes

I was waiting for the first 'Dillon has a second game, Dillon for smash' post in this thread. It didn't take long.

Dillon for smash

Thores

Whoa...

Man, I love the aesthetic and character design of this series but the games just look... not very good.

I feel like eshop characters should probably be Assist Trophies at most. But it might be neat if Dillon or someone was playable and exclusive to Smash 3DS, and then could be unlocked on Smash Wii U by connecting the two versions. Also super sneaky and a surefire way to get me to spend $100 on the same game. Why do I sabotage my own joy :[

Boss Doggie

Nah, those characters are too inconsequential. If they meant anything to Nintendo they'd have retail titles. "Vanpool's download-only game" would stick out like a sore thumb among the other franchises with playable characters.

That's being "software"cist! A download game is no different from a retal game!

Man, I love the aesthetic and character design of this series but the games just look... not very good.

I feel like eshop characters should probably be Assist Trophies at most. But it might be neat if Dillon or someone was playable and exclusive to Smash 3DS, and then could be unlocked on Smash Wii U by connecting the two versions. Also super sneaky and a surefire way to get me to spend $100 on the same game. Why do I sabotage my own joy :[

I know the first game is mediocre but the sequel gives it hopes on improvement.

And I like the design and setting more too.

fisheyes

It makes craploads of sense to have at least one eShop gane character in the roster, to draw attention to the type of content available there. A Dillon that stands alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu in the roster is a surefire way to get people curious and therefore, potentially looking up the eShop and potentially becoming customers. It makes no sense NOT to do it.

...but then when has what Nintendo / the Smash Bros team / Sakurai done ever made sense?

Boss Doggie

It makes craploads of sense to have at least one eShop gane character in the roster, to draw attention to the type of content available there. A Dillon that stands alongside Mario, Link and Pikachu in the roster is a surefire way to get people curious and therefore, potentially looking up the eShop and potentially becoming customers. It makes no sense NOT to do it.

...but then when has what Nintendo / the Smash Bros team / Sakurai done ever made sense?

They still add legacy characters even though their aren't playable so easily, so yeah!

Accept it fellas, Dillon's time has come, his heritage can be representing Nintendo's e-shop ascension, no I don't care how mediocre the first game was, he's got godly moveset potential and the best new main character design to pop out of Nintendo in like forever.
IT'S DILLON TIME!

I like Dillon's character design and stuffs. Only reason that I didn't check his game out is that I'm really really sick of tower defense games (really not my genre), which means I won't be checking out his sequel either. However, I'd totally be for his inclusion in Smash if he were a contender.

I want that lizard gunman dude from the trailer! NOW!
Assassin Squid is where it's at.
Though Lizard Gunman is fine to.

Oh wow

I should get the first game sometime.
I'd consider waiting to see if the second game fixes the faults of the first.

I like Dillon's character design and stuffs. Only reason that I didn't check his game out is that I'm really really sick of tower defense games (really not my genre), which means I won't be checking out his sequel either. However, I'd totally be for his inclusion in Smash if he were a contender.

I can't stand tower defense either, I genuinely got the game just because I liked the character design, I haven't done anything like that since I was a nipper, that's how much I like his design.

KevinCow

Banned
I apologize if this has been brought up before, but has anybody considered the idea of the Wonderful 101 as a character?

I don't think there's a single character owned by Nintendo who hasn't been brought up at least once in this thread's 139 pages.

A Wonderful 101 character could be interesting, but it seems like the concept might be tough to translate into Smash. Olimar works fine because the Pikmin are so tiny, but W101 has a bunch of characters the same size working together.

On the subject of Platinum, I finally managed to force myself through Bayonetta, and she could be interesting since Nintendo's publishing Bayonetta 2. She's got plenty of moves to use for normals, wicked weaves could be smashes, throws could be punish moves, and various other things could be specials. Maybe one of her specials could work like a counter to incorporate witch time: if you do it just as your opponent hits you, they move in slow-mo for a few seconds.

I would rather there be no new IPs in Smash 4. I don't want this to turn into a Sony All-Stars fiasco.

I'd rather see new faces from good games that failed to light the world on fire than tertiary characters from already overrepresented franchises.

I will never stop rooting for Jill Dozer.

Boss Doggie

I would rather there be no new IPs in Smash 4. I don't want this to turn into a Sony All-Stars fiasco.

Unlike PSA this game actually has a lot of memorable characters to "offset" newcomers.

Yeah, I don't think there's been a new franchise since Pikmin that actually deserves to have a playable character.

Meh, I hate the concept of "deserving" as a measure. It's subjective and limits speculation.

fisheyes

Yeah, I don't think there's been a new franchise since Pikmin that actually deserves to have a playable character.

Yeah, there's nothing that reaches the great heights set by the in-one-game-nearly-30-years-ago Ice Climbers. Ness and Lucas, with their playable roles in one game each, released in two and only one regions respectively are also well above their stature.

At this point, its obscure main character from obscure IP vs. fourth tier character from well known franchise. Neither is going to set the world on fire. At least the obscure IPs could generate some sales.

(well, its those two vs. main character from respected long-time third party game series, but for some reason the internet has decided that Smash Bros isn't about 3rd parties and thus can only have the bare minimum of third parties, so apparently its a two way battle)

Kjellson

I actually think the Smash series should have characters from as many Nintendo franchises as possible. Bring on Muddy Mole, Dillon and Prince Bell!

Mole Mania is a great game, but what exactly is Muddy gonna do? Suplex his opponents with large black balls?

...actually, making him play like Suplex Kirby might be pretty nifty. And bizarre.

Mole Mania is a great game, but what exactly is Muddy gonna do? Suplex his opponents with large black balls?

...actually, making him play like Suplex Kirby might be pretty nifty. And bizarre.

You can play around with his big black balls. Have some scratching and kicking attacks for his A-Moves and then throw in some digging, cabbages, big black balls for his specials. Maybe he could even get a pitfall special that grounds opponents.

?oe?oe

If Snake and Sonic are indeed just guest characters (how many fighters keep their guest characters in the next instalment?), then Dillon can come in replacing some of Sonic's rollout moves. With an entire new moveset of course :)

Nah, I would imagine Sega would want to be in on another go around, including any royalties they'd gain from it.

Maybe they could let you recolor him black so his spin attacks would make him a big black ball

?oe?oe

They have to follow E310. "You wanted games? Here's your fucking games. Look, here's the 3DS. Let's end this show with boobies. Peace"

This was posted on GFAQs; I thought I would share it here. I'm inclined to think it's fake since Mario looks a bit off, but better to share a rumor than to keep it to yourself, I say!

WFyw7Td.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom