• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

It's like they aren't even trying with fakes anymore. "Hey let's take a video and slap on some japanese text and a copyright on it! That will sure fool people!"

EDIT: well, at least better than passing off 8 year old drawings as "concept art".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I love the fact that in that FP Mario video, Mario apparently has no body. He's literally a head jumping around.

Lunar15

All I know is, if the Kid Icarus level doesn't have Viridi and Hades making fun of characters while they fight, then Sakurai has failed.

Yeah, the Kid Icarus stage should have Smash Taunts available for the Kid Icarus character(s). Though I think a more randomized set of conversations like the Star Fox ones would be more in line with the loose nature of Uprising's dialogue than individual character discussions like Snake's.

ffdgh

kid icarus has so many stage options it's hard to decide...

If anything thunder cloud temple has to be in for the awesome flight theme and ground theme.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well at least it has the advantage of Sakurai not just playing the first level and calling it a day since he should know every level in that game back to front.

Frigate Orpheon and Green Hill Zone were both good choices to make stages out of in their respective series I felt.

Regarding Kid Icarus stage choices--Palutena's Temple, City of Souls, or an Underworld stage would all be good I think, good representations of the series itself as well, which I feel is something stages should be chosen to represent as well, especially if there ends up being only one new stage for a respective franchise (and no way is Kid Icarus getting two if Kirby got only one in Brawl).

Well at least it has the advantage of Sakurai not just playing the first level and calling it a day since he should know every level in that game back to front.

Jungle Hijinx DKCR style, now with a music selection of DK Island Swing Returns and the slightly different version of it from the King of Cling stage and of course the multiple versions of Mine Cart Carnage, capped off with old returning music like Jungle Japes, I can't wait!

Ryce

It's not fair to say that Sakurai "just plays the first level and calls it a day"; it just so happens that many of the most memorable stages in games are either at the very beginning or at the very end. I've actually heard a few different people in the industry commend Sakurai for his "encyclopedic" video game knowledge.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope that Sakurai would put "Smash Taunt" in Kid Icarus stage because it would be awesome.

t1370970000z1.png

I know it's not official date but it's first day of E3. Basically 10 more days until our countdown become double digits.

Yeah, I'm hardpressed to say "first level and call it a day" when you have stages based on content fairly far into the games in question, like Great Bay (which is, like, the third region you visit in Majora's Mask), Rainbow Road (last main SM64 stage, going purely by stage numbers), Fourside, New Pork City (okay I don't know how far into each respective Mother game those last two are, but they're definitely not the first stage), Brinstar Depths (Kraid's Lair takes a decent amount of time to reach), etc.

Although if he wants to choose some more esoteric stages, instead of going for Green Hill Zone, go for a Generations-style Planet Wisp, where it feels more like Scrap Brain/Metallic Madness, but is unmistakably the source material in look. That'd be a fun stage, what with all those sawblades.

Who wants to fight in a Pokemon stage being made of Zekrom and Reshiram who are fighting?

Spear Pillar stage was fairly irritating and awesome at the same time, so perhaps.

Just came across this piece of dialogue in Kid Icarus which I found pretty funny too;

Palatena: That's a nice bow you've got there Pit! It separates into blades for close combat
Pit: Oh I know. I used them in the last brawl.
Palatena: Oh no! Were you hurt?
Pit: No way! It was a smash!
Palatena: I just can't imagine you in a melee.
Pit: ...that's because I wasn't.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Spear Pillar stage was fairly irritating and awesome at the same time, so perhaps.

No not spear pillar. I'm thinking of actually using Reshiram and Zekrom as the stage who are fighting, with some floating debris as additional platforms.

And the only bad Spear Pillar mon was Palkia.

That said, a Rainbow Road stage would be pretty nifty, I suppose - although I'm struggling to think of how, exactly, you'd make one worth playing on. Rainbow Road has some fancy twists and turns in it (unless you're playing the N64 one, in which case it's just friggin' long), but that's about the extent of it, and twists in a track don't really matter in a fighting game.

If they use the Rainbow Road from MK7, they could incorporate space objects like planets, moons and asteroids. In one section you drive on Saturn's rings.

That said, a Rainbow Road stage would be pretty nifty, I suppose - although I'm struggling to think of how, exactly, you'd make one worth playing on. Rainbow Road has some fancy twists and turns in it (unless you're playing the N64 one, in which case it's just friggin' long), but that's about the extent of it, and twists in a track don't really matter in a fighting game.

Make it like Big Blue/Aero Dive.

Just came across this piece of dialogue in Kid Icarus which I found pretty funny too;

Also needs Palutena's Super Bash Sisters joke too. But speaking of Spear Pillar and Kid Icarus Uprising, I was just thinking how crazy a Chaos Vertex stage in the style of Spear Pillar would be. I'm aware it's very unlikely, it was just a thought.

Make it like Big Blue/Aero Dive.
Eh, I think that's a style of stage best suited for the F-Zero series, not the Mario Kart one.

It's bad enough that they applied it to Delfino Plaza, which is far more static than either series, and didn't really benefit from it like the others did. I kinda wish they found one at least kinda good spot to fight instead of bouncing all over the map; never really feels focused.

Also, the transitions between the three stages of the Fire Emblem castle stage (Castle Siege, was it?) suck. I just never felt any connection between the fight outside the castle, the fight inside the castle, and whatever that volcano world was. Would've been better as three separate stages than one stage with really blurry speed lines teleporting you between them.

Hopefully they'll bring back old stages from the original as well. They were called Past Stages, so it was kind of strange that SSBB didn't have any of the N64 stages.

Hopefully they'll bring back old stages from the original as well. They were called Past Stages, so it was kind of strange that SSBB didn't have any of the N64 stages.

Like I said a couple pages ago, they shouldn't just copy and paste the old original SSB stages directly in. They should be completely redone like the retro courses in MK Wii/7

No, they were called "Mêlée Stages" in Brawl, actually.

And I hope that Past Stages can show up in SP modes next time. Having to use New Pork City if Lucas or Ness showed up when Onett was so so much better really sucked.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If past stages make a return I'd rather they rework them, i.e. N64 stages get a graphical spruce up (see some of the Brawl mods for Hyrule Castle for an example of at least a texture revamp) or as has been mentioned improve on some of the draw backs like restricting the Fire Emblem stage to one level.

ffdgh

And I hope that Past Stages can show up in SP modes next time. Having to use New Pork City if Lucas or Ness showed up when Onett was so so much better really sucked.

Whenever team ness or lucas was the next stage, I just give up since it's too much of a hassle.

And I freaking hate that last stage before master/crazy hand in classic mode when 3 random characters are fought where they just go for the human player instead of each other. Ridiculous.

Whenever team ness or lucas was the next stage, I just give up since it's too much of a hassle.

And I freaking hate that last stage in classic mode when 3 random characters are fought where they just go for the human player instead of each other. Ridiculous.
In a way, it's kind of like Galactus's heralds from MvC3, huh?

Huh. Never noticed that.

On the topic of New Pork City, what don't you like about it? The size? Ultimate Chimera?

I'll happily explain why I think NPC is a pretty awful stage.

- The main platforms and the background don't mesh well at all, nothing feels right visually.

- The actual platform layout is almost random in its placement, it doesn't lend to fun matches either.

- Not only is it too big, it's too open, this leads to the match length often overstaying it's welcome.

The ultimate Chimera is a god send, it helps matches finish quicker if you're lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom