• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

ok fine whatever we'll just have adult ss link and no other links.

Sakurai: *laughs*

I'm hoping, at this point, a young Link is considered a staple for the series. And considering the most recent young Link is Toon Link from Spirit Tracks, that's who we'll be 99.99999% seeing.

I want pink hair link too ; _ ;

Maybe Wii U Zelda will have a new young Link :O

NeonZ

how anyone could deny that lttp has enough of a different stock of items to really differentiate itself from regular link and indeed even toon link and DEFINITELY more than toon link is differentiated from regular link is beyond me

gravijah is way smarter than andrex

"Toon" Link does have a wide range of weapons that could be used to differentiate him from the main Link. On the other hand, aLttP Link does have every single weapon used by the main Link character. So, either way, it comes down to design decisions from Smash Bros itself. The younger Link has always been designed as an alternate faster Link, rather than a completely different character. That's what it comes down to.

Instead of fighting polygons or wireframes we should have to fight the Wii Fit Fitness trainers...
we're just going to end up battling Miis

No, what should happen is that Prince Fluff is in the game, and when Kirby eats him, he becomes Yarn Kirby.
I think Kirby should be able to eat assist trophies and stages while we're at it. New Pork City Kitrby!

I mentioned this a while back and I'd like to see it too, but there are only three Lords that don't use swords whatsoever.

Liz is the girl that appears in the upcoming game for the 3DS and while we don't know much about her, if she has Lord status similar to Krom then she might have a good chance, but we'll have to wait if the game is well received first.
If I am not mistaken she looks like some sort of staff user...at least there is a map sprite of a pigtailed woman holding a staff...then again that sort of thing has occurred before.

NeonZ

Instead of fighting polygons or wireframes we should have to fight the Wii Fit Fitness trainers...we're just going to end up battling Miis

Back in Brawl, Sakurai said that he didn't include Miis because he thought they didn't work as fighters. That reasoning seems rather weak to me, personally. One of the first Mii games was Wii Boxing... I think he just doesn't like them much.

So, even if we do get a Mii character in the next game, I'm pretty sure they won't have much presence.

"Toon" Link does have a wide range of weapons that could be used to differentiate him from the main Link. On the other hand, aLttP Link does have every single weapon used by the main Link character. So, either way, it comes down to design decisions from Smash Bros itself. The younger Link has always been designed as an alternate faster Link, rather than a completely different character. That's what it comes down to.

but lttp > ww

although la > lttp, so let's get us some link's awakening link up ins

Emitan

Back in Brawl, Sakurai said that he didn't include Miis because he thought they didn't work as fighters. That reasoning seems rather weak to me, personally. One of the first Mii games was Wii Boxing... I think he just doesn't like them much.

So, even if we do get a Mii character in the next game, I'm pretty sure they won't have much presence.

If we get Miis in the next Smash Bros it means the 360 is more kid friendly than Nintendo.

Wow. There's plenty could be done with Miis, particularly now. Bowling ball attacks, archery, planes, the works.

Sakurai obviously isn't a fan.

He said the same thing regarding Animal Crossing, did he not?

It does seem a bit hypocritical, considering Game & Watch's presence. Both Mii and AC Guy/Gal could easily be another G&W. Silly attacks using various themed stuff from their games.

Honestly Adult Link sucks.

I like him, but the extra speed Toon/Young provides is too much of an advantage to turn down.

I just want the younger Link to get a new moveset. Link has the greatest combined arsenal of any video game character ever- time to make use of it. Let Adult Link be the master swordsman.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like him, but the extra speed Toon/Young provides is too much of an advantage to turn down.

I just want the younger Link to get a new moveset. Link has the greatest combined arsenal of any video game character ever- time to make use of it. Let Adult Link be the master swordsman.

Exactly, that's why Adult Link sucks. You'd think Adult Link would have the properties small Link has.

One thing I've felt for a long time when it comes to smash;

I wish more characters had A moves that behaved like B moves!

A good example is Snake, half of his smashes are stuff like mines and RPGs, it really makes his moveset seem a lot "fuller" which I like.

I think some characters that are known more for having lots of weird moves rather than physical fighting would be a lot more interesting and fun if they were a bit like Snake in this regard.

Sayah

Miis should be either abandoned altogether or completely upgraded for the Wii U. Their current designs seem far too outdated and lacking for an HD console.

I've been playing Shadow Dragon and I think Minerva should definitely be in the next Smash Bros.

Miis should be either abandoned altogether or completely upgraded for the Wii U. Their current designs seem far too outdated and lacking for an HD console.
I agree!

I would really like them to do something between Miis and Xbox Avatars. Or just more simplistic xBox styled avatars ... the current Miis just look so simple and lame. :/

Gravijah

miis being simple is the entire point. the more realistic you make them look, the creepier they get and with miis being simple, it's easier to... identify with them.

Alrus

I agree!

I would really like them to do something between Miis and Xbox Avatars. Or just more simplistic xBox styled avatars ... the current Miis just look so simple and lame. :/

But Nintendo wants the Miis to be simple. I think they look much better than the creepy Xbox avatars tbh.

SmithnCo

Aside from one wrestling idie game, Miis have never been in anything even mildly violent, so yes.

They could get in a Mario Kart and run people over. Mii hit and runs. And they fenced in Wii Sports resort.

Or they could just have a Mii Plaza stage in the vein of that Pictochat stage and have all your console's Miis in the background.

(I also like the simplicity of the Miis, like them better than XBLA avatars)

calling the xbox avatars creepy is such an overstatement. they're ugly for sure, but creepy? really? fuckin' weirdos, the lot of ya

I was about to skin you alive for saying lttp is better than Wind Waker, but then you continued with Awakening being better than lttp, so I'll let it slide.

link's awakening is the best zelda and if anyone disagrees they are stupid

miis being simple is the entire point. the more realistic you make them look, the creepier they get and with miis being simple, it's easier to... identify with them.

Things aint as black and white as that.

Miis changing and becoming more detailed doesn't mean they become more "realistic".
Mario characters are more detailed than Miis but are by no means realistic.

As they are now they're hard for me to relate to because of how limited they are in appearance and I figure I'm not the only one.

But Nintendo wants the Miis to be simple. I think they look much better than the creepy Xbox avatars tbh.

I'm not a complete fan of Xbox avatars ... but I'm sure Nintendo can do better than that if they go for a cartoony style.

I mostly think it's because those things don't animate too well. If they LOOKED like hey had life in their animation I'm sure that would solve some problems.

PKrockin

It's not so much the speed as it is the attack that combo better and the FAR superior recovery and projectile game IMO.

It really doesn't help that Adult Link has an absurdly steep learning curve either.

McNum

The Swordplay arena from Wii Sports Resort would be a fun stage, especially if it breaks down like it does in Sudden Death in Wii Sports Resort. Of course, the spectators would be Miis from your system (and in online play Miis from the systems of everyone else in the game, too).

I do hope we get a staff fighter of some type in the next Smash. Be it Ephiram with his lances, Krystal with her staff, or anyone else who fights with a staff or spear. I just want one of them.

Javier

I want the Miis to stay as they are in their simplicity, but they should add more options to them. They should definitely let you use in the Mii Editor the hats you unlock in StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Sayah

Things aint as black and white as that.

Miis changing and becoming more detailed doesn't mean they become more "realistic".
Mario characters are more detailed than Miis but are by no means realistic.

As they are now they're hard for me to relate to because of how limited they are in appearance and I figure I'm not the only one.

Definitely this. Aside form more detailed designing, they also need more customization options.

On a related note, some may find this article interesting.

As far as additional Zelda characters go, I went through some of the recurring characters to get a sense of who represents the series as a whole more than just one specific title. Here are the characters I found, with their number of appearances (The parenthesized number refers to games where they were referenced but did not appear as an actual character, while the other number is full character appearances)

Tingle 5 (+3)
Epona 5 (+3)
Dark/Shadow Link 5(+2)
Beedle 5
Impa 4(+2)
Vaati 3

Out of this list, I could see Impa becoming a new Shiek. Epona and Beedle probably don't have much moveset potential, but could be assist trophies. Shadow Link will remain a color option. Vaati could be an interesting character choice.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Sakurai may not like Mii's but we know he loves AR cards.

Special AR mode for the 3DS version please.

As stupid as that idea sounds it makes perfect sense. Imagine the Smash 64 intro.
There you go. Instantly create that scenario in any well lighted room.

Sure it would be a pain to play but damn would I like to try that out somehow.

Wikzo

If you've played the new Rayman Origins (which too few did, unfortunately), you woud know that Rayman could be a perfect fit for a new Smash Bros. He already has most of the attacks, and the new squash-and-stretch artstyle would be beautiful to have in the game!

21Bpv.png

Anth0ny

Sakurai may not like Mii's but we know he loves AR cards.

Special AR mode for the 3DS version please.

As stupid as that idea sounds it makes perfect sense. Imagine the Smash 64 intro.
There you go. Instantly create that scenario in any well lighted room.

Sure it would be a pain to play but damn would I like to try that out somehow.

Pretty much guaranteed. Remember the trophy display in Melee? Tons of stuff in Smash Bros would work in AR pretty well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OoT Link is like 18, TP/SS Link around 16/17. (That puts OoT Young Link around 11, and MM Link probably 12 or 13)

Actually I'm pretty sure OoT Link was 16, and TP/SS Link are 17.

But I think I've had this conversation before, and it was hard to dig up sources.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We should have a bragging right contest who make an accurate character list but there is a problem which we don't know how many characters that will be in ssb4.

Along with other problem, we don't know if they are going to do SSB4 or SSB3DS first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom