• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fix

No there won't. Most people won't care. Chrom is probably going to fall down the memory hole once FE14 hits.

That's pretty much expected of any extra reps other than Marth. Ike himself has brought more than Roy did, and they managed to create a separate identity for him within Smash. Between the two though, Ike would do more as a returning veteran. It really shouldn't come as a surprise if Roy doesn't make it.

Snakey

That's pretty much expected of any extra reps other than Marth. Ike himself has brought more than Roy did, and they managed to create a separate identity for him within Smash. Between the two though, Ike would do more as a returning veteran. It really shouldn't come as a surprise if Roy doesn't make it.

I was talking about Chrom. There have been loads of complaints that Chrom is too similar to Ike.

Mr. Fix

I was talking about Chrom. There have been loads of complaints that Chrom is too similar to Ike.

What about Roy though? Chrom could easily replace Ike, and I'm up for either one, but Roy wouldn't have much going for him with Marth in the game. If anything, the demand for Roy seems to be based on aesthetics and nostalgia goggles, and not as a a notable series within Nintendo, but just Melee solely.

Snakey

What about Roy though? Chrom could easily replace Ike, and I'm up for either one, but Roy wouldn't have much going for him with Marth in the game.

Roy could easily be made unique. Roy could take Eruption from Ike (while Ike gets a special referencing his ability to use axes), have a special based off of the Sword of Seals having a ranged attack, a special based off of the Sword of Seal's ability to heal, and an unique recovery move could be easy to come up with (either a "Wheel of Fire" one where Roy spins like a wheel with the Sword of Seal's blade aflame, or a special where Roy rise's like Blazer but comes down like Aether). An unique Final Smash would take little effort as well, just imagine something with a lot of fire (just look at the Brawl hacks for Roy), or if you want something more canon, base it off of the Sword of Seal's critical animation (I have seen one Brawl Roy hack do this).

This was just off the top of my head.

Mr. Fix

You're assuming that Sakurai wouldn't make Chrom different, but be willing to do so for Roy? I know how much you want him in, but c'mon. It's hard to picture Sakurai making both different from Marth/Ike. That's straight up bias.

We should probably end this here, as it's impossible to figure out who'll make it in. I'll keep my expectations in check.

Snakey

You're assuming that Sakurai wouldn't make Chrom different, but be willing to do so for Roy? I know how much you want him in, but c'mon. It's hard to picture Sakurai making both different from Marth/Ike. That's straight up bias.

We should probably end this here, as it's impossible to figure out who'll make it in. I'll keep my expectations in check.

I think Sakurai could make Chrom different if he tried (though the same could be said for any character).

I still think that four FE characters is not out of the question.

GUYS! GUYS!

I wanted to ask something, what's your opinion on Project M? I just tried the 2.5 Demo version and wanted to cry tears of joy when I saw the tweaks to Ganondorf and that Pit's Side B spamming move had been replaced.
Sorry, they're more interested in Fire Emblem back-and-forth than anything else.

Haven't tried any Brawl mods, Project M included, sorry.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There will be hell to pay if Roy gets in over Chrom.

I would be pleased if I get my Roy.

If I get Genesect and Takamaru, I'll be satisfied.

Yes, please! I would love that.

Here is my shameless plug for Duck Hunt Dog / Laughing Dog.

DHDcolored.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Project M is awful.

Brawl Minus is the superior mod.

Balanced Brawl and Brawl Minus was fun.

I love one version where Link had element arrows and Samus had ice beams. It was fun to spammed those moves against friends who don't know how to counter those attacks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Takamaru is among the most likely characters to show up in Smash 4. There is a very good chance he will be confirmed for Smash 4 in just 2.5 months time.

Yeah, I figure him and Little Mac might be the first two that pop up.

Genesect probably will end up like Lucario if he gets in and won't be revealed till near release.

GUYS! GUYS!

I wanted to ask something, what's your opinion on Project M? I just tried the 2.5 Demo version and wanted to cry tears of joy when I saw the tweaks to Ganondorf and that Pit's Side B spamming move had been replaced.
Ironically the two you listed are my least favorite changes (Pit's changed moveset is way too weird for me to get used to and I really want to see somebody put some time and effort into giving Ganondorf his own moveset), but overall I really dig it. Wario's probably my favorite in the mod, which is saying something since he was still one of my mains in regular Brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ironically the two you listed are my least favorite changes (Pit's changed moveset is way too weird for me to get used to and I really want to see somebody put some time and effort into giving Ganondorf his own moveset), but overall I really dig it. Wario's probably my favorite in the mod, which is saying something since he was still one of my mains in regular Brawl.

Same here. I don't really like Pit's changes, but I love Wario's changes. I have to get used to other characters as well.

Tyeforce

Jigglypuff is a Smash Bros. staple, she's never going anywhere. Secondly, "there are so many better choices for Pokemon now" is simply an opinion. To most people, Jigglypuff has shown her worth in Smash Bros. and deserves to stay.

Secondly, how does Chrom overshadow Roy aside from being more recent? Aesthetically, Roy stands out more, as well in addition to being more highly requested.
I never said remove her entirely from the game. Just demote her to DLC. ;)

But when it comes to overall importance to the Pokémon franchise, Jigglypuff just really isn't up there like Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Mewtwo, and Lucario are. I love that her character is unique and she's fun to play as so I wouldn't want to see her go away completely, but I think she should be shoved off the main roster, that's all.

And remember, Roy was pretty much just included in Melee as a shameless promotion for his game. Yes, he became popular because of it, but just because a character is popular doesn't mean they necessarily deserve the spot in the roster, and it doesn't keep them safe from being cut, either. With Chrom not only being the most recent Lord, but also the one from the highest rated and what will likely become best selling Fire Emblem game, I think it's obvious that Roy is overshadowed by him at this point. Roy was already cut once, after all.

qq more

Project M is awful.

Brawl Minus is the superior mod.
Project M is pretty neat so far (but there's some oddities here and there)... but I don't get why they changed Green Hill Zone into something so awful. And I don't get the point of the Castlevania stage... it's not like Simon or anyone is in this, although it looks cool.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Stop using "highly requested". Like I told you, his "highly requested" is coming more from "being cut".

It works really great in the end, but yeah I felt they were all smug and shit about it.

Eh, it's what happens when fans get more than they can handle. It's just a huge finger.

PK Gaming

I hate Project M for "let's turn it into Melee" crap rather than "let's fix Brawl".

Brawl+ was pretty good about fixing brawl early on... it ended up dying though :(

I really hope that the next smash game isn't as broken as brawl. I know Sakurai isn't concerned with making it competitive, but he should at least adhere to the very basic fighting principles, and not make 75% of competitively irrelevant. If he's going to make broken characters, he should share it!

For those who played Kid Icarus: Uprising, I think he did a bang up job balancing that game (there honestly only a couple of "cheap" powers, and you really have to go out of your way to make a "cheap" weapon). I hope he takes the Kid Icarus: Uprising approach (everyone has the same opportunities) for the next smash game.

CorvoSol

If you are insinuating (or believe) that Lyn was next in line for Brawl for a playable FE character, I hope you realize that Roy was planned for Brawl and probably got bumped out due to time constraints.

Also, five characters for Nintendo's biggest franchise (Mario) is not overkill, especially considering Melee gave the series five playable characters.

I'm more than aware of the cut characters from Brawl, and I was neither insinuating nor believed that Lyn was next in line for PC in Brawl. I wasn't even talking about things IN Brawl. I was talking about now, moving forward, and in the tense of obvious wishful thinking.

but the two are synonymous

But Melee is no fun anymore. I know it's not a hip opinion, but there it is.

Snakey

And remember, Roy was pretty much just included in Melee as a shameless promotion for his game.

You do know that Roy being in Melee was Sakurai's idea, not Intelligent System's, right? And you also know that Sakurai also included Roy because he felt he could help promote the series as a whole right?

Maybe before Awakening was released in America, yeah.

No, Roy is still more wanted now. Both in Japan and the West. Like I said, a handicap for Chrom (in terms of requests for Smash) is his similarities to Ike. Its the big reason why Lucina is not even a popular choice for Smash 4.

Stop using "highly requested". Like I told you, his "highly requested" is coming more from "being cut".

Its from being a popular character in Melee that happened to be cut. You don't see a lot of requests for Dr. Mario and Pichu to come back do you.

GamerSoul

Here is my shameless plug for Duck Hunt Dog / Laughing Dog.

DHDcolored.png

Every time I see this, all I can think is that is the perfect moveset for that character. I can't disagree with anything there.

You know what is still fun? Smash 64. Clearly the best iteration of Smash.

I had a lot of great times with 64 with my cousin growing up. I still prefer Melee but those hit sound FX are timeless. lol I love'em

No, Roy is still more wanted now. Both in Japan and the West.

What data are you going off of for this?

Like I said, a handicap for Chrom (in terms of requests for Smash) is his similarities to Ike. Its the big reason why Lucina is not even a popular choice for Smash 4.

I don't view his similarities to Ike as a handicap because no one actually wants Ike and Chrom in the same game. Everyone knows Chrom will replace Ike and they're okay with that.

If it comes down to Ike or Chrom, I think it's clear Chrom will take precedence. He's the current "modern" character and is from the first Fire Emblem to be successful (or at least, not be unsuccessful) in pretty much every region. And his stint is even continuing on in the form of FE X SMT. (And yeah, I know it's representing pretty much every popular FE character including Roy or Ike, but the point is that Chrom will still be relevant throughout the entire generation.)

The Tellius Saga is my favorite of the FE games, but at this point Ike is just sort of moldy. Giving his resources to the new FE dude just makes sense.

Hobobloke

I had a lot of great times with 64 with my cousin growing up. I still prefer Melee but those hit sound FX are timeless. lol I love'em

They are, Ness's bat sounds so satisfying in that game! I never had a GC so Melee didn't really resonate as much for me unfortunately, a shame considering now I'm aware how hype it is, particularly compared to Brawl.

Snakey

What data are you going off of for this?

Various polls and observations.

I don't view his similarities to Ike as a handicap because no one actually wants Ike and Chrom in the same game. Everyone knows Chrom will replace Ike and they're okay with that.

Ike is much more popular than Chrom. Also, there are plenty of people who want Ike and Chrom in the same game as well. Lastly, most of Ike's fans would not be okay with Chrom replacing him.

While Chrom stands a good chance of getting in, he is not "guaranteed" like many people here seem to believe he is. There are far more parameters to inclusion than just "recentness".

The second part of my Childhood was pretty much Melee. Burned out 3 GameCubes but that Melee disc still works damn fine.
Over 900 hours spent in that game, with my family and friends. I got kind of sick of it lately but it's still an amazing game.

CorvoSol

Don't get me wrong, I loved Melee back in the day, but I dunno, maybe it was just because I hadn't played it in half a decade, but when I played it last week it was not as fun as the last time I played Brawl.

Snakey

I still play Melee because of the characters and stages that did not return for Brawl, as well as Melee having a much less sluggish fighting engine overall. I am not a competitive player by any stretch, however, Brawl did not make Melee obsolete to me like Melee did to Smash 64 (though I still went back Smash 64 every year or so). I enjoy Melee and Brawl equally, though in different ways.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
but the two are synonymous

Hell no. Melee was lazy in character creation. And hell, I'd argue some of the stages were downright terrible compared to Brawl's "single platform with cinematics".

Its from being a popular character in Melee that happened to be cut. You don't see a lot of requests for Dr. Mario and Pichu to come back do you.

I already gave my reasons for that - Dr. Mario and Pichu are obvious clones vs. Roy being a clone of a new-comer + the smoke and mirrors effect of his attacks.

fisheyes

Hell no. Melee was lazy in character creation. And hell, I'd argue some of the stages were downright terrible compared to Brawl's "single platform with cinematics".

I already gave my reasons for that - Dr. Mario and Pichu are obvious clones vs. Roy being a clone of a new-comer + the smoke and mirrors effect of his attacks.

Doc Mario and Pichu are also variants of already existing characters (well kinda with Pichu, but you know what I mean) whereas Roy is a new character. I suspect that if Young Link, Falco and Ganondorf were the three removed, there would be much more support for the latter twos return as they were new characters, rather than a variant, too.

Doc Mario and Pichu are also variants of already existing characters (well kinda with Pichu, but you know what I mean) whereas Roy is a new character. I suspect that if Young Link, Falco and Ganondorf were the three removed, there would be much more support for the latter twos return as they were new characters, rather than a variant, too.

If this happens the Nintendo HQ in Japan are getting burned.
By me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom