• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

I disagree with that. Fire Emblem is a game about swords, lances, axes, tomes, bows, etc. and to this point only ONE of those has been featured. It'd be like if every playable Pokemon in Smash was a normal type.
I'm not talking about characters that best represent the many things that make up their franchise. I'm talking about characters themselves that define those franchises. Franchise mascots, you could say. The characters that the franchise revolves around most. It's more difficult to choose stand out mascots for franchises like Fire Emblem and Pokémon, but I think Marth, Ike, and Chrom are obvious examples of such. I see no reason to cut either Marth or Ike (I don't see the point in cutting one character for another), and with the success of Awakening, it'd be silly for them to not include a new Fire Emblem character, and Chrom is undoubtedly the "mascot" of Fire Emblem Awakening.

They may not be representing the many types of classes and weaponry in Fire Emblem, but that doesn't really matter when it comes to character inclusion in Smash Bros. What matters is that they're mascots for their franchise. They could have added more unique characters to the roster from the Star Fox and MOTHER/EarthBound franchises, for example, but they went with the most logical choices—the most iconic characters from those franchises; the mascots.

GamerSoul

When should I host my contest? 2 months or 1 month before the E3?

Excusemewhat? ..Did you tell us what it was about because I think I missing something.

I figured Chrom, but what's the idea behind Ike? Is he the most popular FE character these days?

Kinda wish it was Lyn.

I think his popularity has dwindled over time. FE Awakening is doing pretty well so I can see Chrom replacing Ike if need be. That Masked character and Chrom tag team would be interesting but it seems pretty complex, imo.

And looking back at Lyn's inclusion as an AT makes me realize just how popular she was and how fortunate we were to get her in the game. FE had many lords to choose from after Marth and Roy opened the gates and she was the one chosen as an AT. She was not even the main lord in FE7 and she still got in as an AT over Eliwood and Hector.

My pick is Will.i.am to put together a fabulous version of the Fire Emblem theme.

That would the most epic theme ever to grace Smash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Excusemewhat? ..Did you tell us what it was about because I think I missing something.

Well, I'm supposed to host SSB4 Roster contest where people have to predict the most accurate roster to win a reward last year but people suggested that we should wait it out after E3. It ended that they never reveal anything. However we know for sure that we are getting SSB4 this e3, so it would make sense if I will host it soon like a month before E3.

I'm thinking about 20 dollars of E-Shop Card, or something like that.

rough draft rules

You can make any decision with any amount of characters but be careful with that because you will lose a point each extra or missing numbers of roster.

If your predicted characters didn't make in roster then you will lose points each wrong characters.

In case if we got tied, you can predict up to 10 new stages for tie breaker, and up to 5 new items for tie-tie breaker.

Dead line is June 9 11:59 (for now, to avoid any leak) Also if you are going to edit your post after June 9, then you're automatically disqualified.

After SSB4 announced, I'm more likely to make second thread for people to discussing with their predictions and etc, so we can avoid spammed up in prediction thread.

I'm sorry for terrible english since I'm tired.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I wouldn't mind a non-Ice Climber duo. Maybe have Chrom and
Lucina
switch on who you control.

I'd be all for a Chrom & Lucina duo in the next Smash game. It would take two characters that would be dull by themselves and make them interesting additions by using the partner mechanic in FE13. Doubting it'll happen, but it'd be awesome if that was our newcomer (if Roy doesn't beat Chrom to the punch).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, I'm supposed to host SSB4 Roster contest where people have to predict the most accurate roster to win a reward last year but people suggested that we should wait it out after E3. It ended that they never reveal anything. However we know for sure that we are getting SSB4 this e3, so it would make sense if I will host it soon like a month before E3.

rough draft rules

You can make any decision with any amount of characters but be careful with that because you will lose a point each extra or missing numbers of roster.

If your predicted characters didn't make in roster then you will lose points each wrong characters.

In case if we got tied, you can predict up to 10 new stages for tie breaker, and up to 5 new items for tie-tie breaker.

Dead line is June 9 11:59 (for now, to avoid any leak) Also if you are going to edit your post after June 9, then you're automatically disqualified.

After SSB4 announced, I'm more likely to make second thread for people to discussing with their predictions and etc, so we can avoid spammed up in prediction thread.

Sounds fun, I'm in!

I've already got my Roster in my mind more or less.

I'm not talking about characters that best represent the many things that make up their franchise. I'm talking about characters themselves that define those franchises. Franchise mascots, you could say. The characters that the franchise revolves around most. It's more difficult to choose stand out mascots for franchises like Fire Emblem and Pokémon, but I think Marth, Ike, and Chrom are obvious examples of such. I see no reason to cut either Marth or Ike (I don't see the point in cutting one character for another), and with the success of Awakening, it'd be silly for them to not include a new Fire Emblem character, and Chrom is undoubtedly the "mascot" of Fire Emblem Awakening.

They may not be representing the many types of classes and weaponry in Fire Emblem, but that doesn't really matter when it comes to character inclusion in Smash Bros. What matters is that they're mascots for their franchise. They could have added more unique characters to the roster from the Star Fox and MOTHER/EarthBound franchises, for example, but they went with the most logical choices—the most iconic characters from those franchises; the mascots.

I disagree.

FE is a series that's worth much more than just being repped by Blue haired sword using protags. A better example would be "If all the pokemon were Pikachu knock offs" cause that's pretty much what I see. Marth is the Pikachu character and we just get the next gen versions.

IMO the MU from Awakening would be far better use for a new rep for the newest game. GrandMaster class, spells and sword. And there are other characters that show up in many different games that are also unique.

Azure J

rough draft rules

Oh that's what this is? I thought you were doing another poll for GAF data to forward to Sakurai. This idea's cool too though.

Tyeforce

I disagree.

FE is a series that's worth much more than just being repped by Blue haired sword using protags. A better example would be "If all the pokemon were Pikachu knock offs" cause that's pretty much what I see. Marth is the Pikachu character and we just get the next gen versions.

IMO the MU from Awakening would be far better use for a new rep for the newest game. GrandMaster class, spells and sword. And there are other characters that show up in many different games that are also unique.
Well, we'll see who Sakurai chooses, then. I think choosing the most iconic Lords from the franchise just makes sense, and I'm sure it's what he'll go with. If not those exact three, then some combination of Marth, Roy, Ike, and Chrom.

And Pokémon doesn't quite work that way. Yeah, each new generation has its own Pikachu-like Pokémon, but the games aren't centered around these Pokémon like the main Lords in Fire Emblem. They're as close to a main/mascot character as you can get in Fire Emblem games. Pikachu knockoffs like Pichu, Plusle and Minun, Pachirisu, and Emolga...not so much. They just happen to look like the main mascot of Pokémon, but that doesn't mean they're very important to the franchise in comparison.

And the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening...well, I suppose it could work; they could give him the default look and name him/her Robin...but I don't see that happening, especially not over Chrom.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening would be awkward since he doesn't really have a set design, nor gender, unless they somehow worked in customization into his character...which I don't see them doing. He'd certainly be interesting to play as though.

GamerSoul

I think if they put in a little effort into it it could work. They don't have to incorporate every customizable option for the unit, just a few will work with one being male and the other female.

PK Gaming

I would kill for a Lucina as a standalone character in the next smash game.

Heck, I wouldn't even it if she was an alt costume for Marth (with her own voice clips).

Watch Da Birdie

I think if they put in a little effort into it it could work. They don't have to incorporate every customizable option for the unit, just a few will work with one being male and the other female.

Not really a concern about effort, as I think it wouldn't be difficult to do exactly, it just seems weird that a character with customization as their gimmick would be a one-shot character from such a large franchise like Fire Emblem where character customization has typically never been a part of the experience.

GamerSoul

Not really a concern about effort, as I think it wouldn't be difficult to do exactly, it just seems weird that a character with customization as their gimmick would be a one-shot character from such a large franchise like Fire Emblem where character customization has typically never been a part of the experience.
I think the fact that there is customization incoporated into the character makes it an interesting choice. Unlike a lord who is limited to usually one weapon type in smash, i can see the avatar getting a whole spectrum of moves based on some of the possible classes that you can choose from. I can see the avi getting a different specials based on the different weapon choices in the game, maybe even a magic special. Even if it is only limited to one move like Peach s forwardvsmash, where the avi will cycle through a sword, lance, and axe, i think it would be a great way to give players a glimpse of what FE has to offer compared to swordsmen.

Boss Doggie

Roy is big by virtue of being cut. It's like saying Yoshi gets cut for Brawl, then a fan request has him high at polls because he was a former character who was cut therefore people want him back.

Snakey

Roy is big by virtue of being cut. It's like saying Yoshi gets cut for Brawl, then a fan request has him high at polls because he was a former character who was cut therefore people want him back.

I am not sure what you mean. Roy was among the most popular newcomers in Melee.

I mean Dr. Mario and Pichu were also cut, yet there is no heavy demand for their return (though I would not mind if they came back). I still think if character DLC for Smash 4 happens, Dr. Mario and Pichu will be brought back.

Boss Doggie

I mean Dr. Mario and Pichu were also cut, yet there is no heavy demand for their return (though I would not mind if they came back). I still think if character DLC for Smash 4 happens, Dr. Mario and Pichu will be brought back.

Because they weren't as "unique" as Roy or Mewtwo. Roy in particular is a clone of a newcomer so he isn't as reviled as much, and has some smokes and mirrors with his attacks like having a fire effect.

Snakey

Because they weren't as "unique" as Roy or Mewtwo. Roy in particular is a clone of a newcomer so he isn't as reviled as much, and has some smokes and mirrors with his attacks like having a fire effect.

Roy was still a very popular character in Melee, even you cannot deny that. The reason lots of people want to see him return is because they loved using him in Melee.

Also, being a "clone" and not an "unique person" is not an excuse for not being well-liked. Look at Toon Link in Brawl, he was arguably the only Melee-style clone newcomer in Brawl, yet he was still very well-received, despite also being just a younger version of Link.

Boss Doggie

Roy was still a very popular character in Melee, even you cannot deny that. The reason lots of people want to see him return is because they loved using him in Melee.

Also, being a "clone" and not an "unique person" is not an excuse for not being well-liked. Look at Toon Link in Brawl, he was arguably the only Melee-style clone newcomer in Brawl, yet he was still very well-received, despite also being just a younger version of Link.

He was popular because he was a new. And thanks for proving my point - he is highly wanted to return because he was cut from Brawl.

And Toon Link was popular because he's Link done right.

Snakey

He was popular because he was a new. And thanks for proving my point - he is highly wanted to return because he was cut from Brawl.

And Toon Link was popular because he's Link done right.

The way you are saying it sounds like there would be no interest (or rather much less) in him if he was not cut. I said the requests to return are due to him being a popular character in Melee.

Snakey

Yeah, but Waluigi is from a series that already has 4 reps minimum, it's kinda different.

If you are insinuating (or believe) that Lyn was next in line for Brawl for a playable FE character, I hope you realize that Roy was planned for Brawl and probably got bumped out due to time constraints.

Also, five characters for Nintendo's biggest franchise (Mario) is not overkill, especially considering Melee gave the series five playable characters.

Snakey

People actually wanted Wolf? Boo! Also, how popular was Xenoblade in Japan?

Wolf was just as highly requested as Krystal was in the West, and far more requested than Krystal in Japan. Really the reason why you think Krystal was wanted more was that her fans were much louder, as well as towards the twilight of the pre-Brawl period were Krystal's voice actress talking about voicing her for Brawl made people think she was a shoe-in for Brawl (it turned out she was doing the voice for her for those stage conversations).

Xenoblade sold around 170-180K in Japan. Its a cult hit in Japan, but still no big hit. By comparison, the GBA Golden Sun games sold over 300K in Japan.

Snakey

Ah, then I can only hope.

Shulk's chances are still quite good though (especially considering Smash 4's potential newcomer pool). I mean if sales mattered so much, Ike would never have gotten in Brawl (FE9 is basically tied with FE5 for being the worst selling game in the Fire Emblem series in Japan). The other "new series" characters that has better prospects than Shulk are Little Mac and Isaac. Though you could argue that Shulk's chances are better or on par with Isaac.

I think if X turns out to be related to Xenoblade in any way, we may end up getting the main protagonist to that game, or Shulk, if he plays an important role in that game.

Mr. Fix

Though you could argue that Shulk's chances are better or on par with Isaac.

I think if X turns out to be related to Xenoblade in any way, we may end up getting the main protagonist to that game, or Shulk, if he plays an important role in that game.

I'm sure Shulk still has a better chance than whoever the main character is, even if it is a new one. Seeing as how both games are still in development, I think that the roster would be finalized by the time X is out. Shulk would be a viable rep for the "series"/Monolith. That's just me though.

I remember wanting Isaac, and I still do, but I think Brawl was pretty much his best shot at getting in. That ship may have sailed.

Luckily, I don't think it's too greedy or a long shot for wanting Shulk and Chrom. I just really hope Sakurai recognizes Xenoblade/Monolith as part of the Nintendo family now.

Boss Doggie

The way you are saying it sounds like there would be no interest (or rather much less) in him if he was not cut. I said the requests to return are due to him being a popular character in Melee.

Well if he wasn't cut to begin with, then people wouldn't be interested of him as an additional roster once more.

People actually wanted Wolf? Boo! Also, how popular was Xenoblade in Japan?

Wolf was actually wanted since Melee and from what I heard around here, since 64.

GamerSoul

Lyn was popular enough to get in as an AT in Brawl. That's gotta count for something.

I think for Brawl it revealed just how popular Lyn was around that time. She is not even the main character of her game and she still made it as an AT over various other lords including Eliwood or Hector. If there was not some thought put into some of the ATs choices, I don't think we would have gotten Lyn. Eliwood and Hector would have made more sense. Also in Awakening, isn't Lyn the only lord from FE7 that made a cameo as DLC? i dont know.

Looking back at the DOJO it says the following:
Assist Trophies allow you to enjoy even more characters who couldn’t quite make it as playable fighters. You may even see some that only the most dedicated fans will recognize, so you’ll have to look forward to them.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/assist01.html

Imo, this is not true for ALL the ATs but for guys like Samurai Goroh, Lil Mac, Saki, Lyn and Isaac...and maybe even Waluigi this could have been the case. Again this was during Brawl's developement time and it most likely means nothing this time around. Nonetheless it's interesting because we're probably going to get more soul crushing ATs for Smash 4 if they return. :/

Well if he wasn't cut to begin with, then people wouldn't be interested of him as an additional roster once more.

I kinda get what you're saying. At this point, I think Mewtwo maybe the only one of the cut characters to be really prioritized to get back in.

J-Tier

If there's one character that deserves to be playable in SSB4 it's Lil Mac.

That's right. Punch-Out was the shit. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out to be exact. Little Mac needs to be in SSB4 for me to personally consider the roster to be on it's way to being "complete".

Well, we'll see who Sakurai chooses, then. I think choosing the most iconic Lords from the franchise just makes sense, and I'm sure it's what he'll go with. If not those exact three, then some combination of Marth, Roy, Ike, and Chrom.

And Pokémon doesn't quite work that way. Yeah, each new generation has its own Pikachu-like Pokémon, but the games aren't centered around these Pokémon like the main Lords in Fire Emblem. They're as close to a main/mascot character as you can get in Fire Emblem games. Pikachu knockoffs like Pichu, Plusle and Minun, Pachirisu, and Emolga...not so much. They just happen to look like the main mascot of Pokémon, but that doesn't mean they're very important to the franchise in comparison.

And the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening...well, I suppose it could work; they could give him the default look and name him/her Robin...but I don't see that happening, especially not over Chrom.

Personally I think it should be "Most Iconic Lord (Marth)/ Newest Lord (Chrom) or Roy/ Iconic character that appears through out the series (Anne? Naga? Tiki?)/ MU (Easily one of the best things to come from the new game, giving the Player their own Avatar to go play the story with. Could very well be the PT "DUH!" pick as in it simply makes prefect sense)".

As for Pokemon, no, the whole story isn't and never has been wrapped completely around one Pokemon. But Pokemon are picked via marketing and up until gen 4 "Pikachu Knock-off" has always been the Marketing Star (Which explains Pichu in Melee and P&M in the forbidden 7) which is the closest thing to a "Lord". But even then, Pokemon has other important and Iconic Pokemon than just the ones that are used for Marketing the new games. That's why we had Mewtwo, he may not be the "star marketing pokemon" of a generation but he has an important role and a lore with in the world well being very much Iconic.

But hey, that's just me. Im also the guy who calls BS on SF getting 3 characters when other, bigger series only have 1 (Wario) or 2 (DK). So clearly I don't try to gear my taste to w/e Sakurai has proven to do in past games.

Tyeforce

I think Roy is in the same boat as Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff sure has her fans, too, but with so many better choices for Pokémon characters now, it just doesn't make much sense to include her in the main roster. Roy, I think, is overshadowed by Marth, Ike, and Chrom, and unless they intend to have four Fire Emblem characters in the next game, I doubt he'll get in the main roster.

But I'd love for older characters that have been cut to return in the form of DLC. I think that's the perfect way to reintroduce previously cut characters, and remove certain characters that shouldn't really be in the main roster anymore.

Ryce

Disappearing from this topic and forgetting about Smash Bros. is seriously making time fly for me. It'll be E3 before I know it!

Snakey

I think Roy is in the same boat as Jigglypuff. Jigglypuff sure has her fans, too, but with so many better choices for Pokémon characters now, it just doesn't make much sense to include her in the main roster. Roy, I think, is overshadowed by Marth, Ike, and Chrom, and unless they intend to have four Fire Emblem characters in the next game, I doubt he'll get in the main roster.

But I'd love for older characters that have been cut to return in the form of DLC. I think that's the perfect way to reintroduce previously cut characters, and remove certain characters that shouldn't really be in the main roster anymore.

Jigglypuff is a Smash Bros. staple, she's never going anywhere. Secondly, "there are so many better choices for Pokemon now" is simply an opinion. To most people, Jigglypuff has shown her worth in Smash Bros. and deserves to stay.

Secondly, how does Chrom overshadow Roy aside from being more recent? Aesthetically, Roy stands out more, as well in addition to being more highly requested.

GUYS! GUYS!

I wanted to ask something, what's your opinion on Project M? I just tried the 2.5 Demo version and wanted to cry tears of joy when I saw the tweaks to Ganondorf and that Pit's Side B spamming move had been replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom