• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

For me,

Little Mac
Ridley
Takamaru
Palutena
Mega Man

This is what I expect. But I can see Syrup somehow getting in there some how lol. Probably not but it's a wish of mines because I would just be able to relax a bit and watch the chaos that ensues for the upcoming months.

Man it'd be hilarious if Smash4 included characters who aren't part of everyone's wishlist.

It is hilarious, and it will happen.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Man it'd be hilarious if Smash4 included characters who aren't part of everyone's wishlist.

I REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPENS! That would be nice to have a surprise or wtf character that we wouldn't see it coming.

I would like to start something hypothetically for fun.

4ed282231a7c4f3d8896865f3f17c9a7.0.jpg

I got this article from April's Fool Thread, so it's fake for sure.

What If Nintendo actually announce that they are dropping their supports for their own console and begun working on next generation console, U2 Brute. They processed to announce that we have to wait for 2 or 3 years for next console release and SSB4 will be one of U2 Brute Launch title. They would pulled out of E3 and wouldn't reveal anything until E3 2015.

How would you feel about the situation?

Re: new Fire Emblem character; what if instead of adding Chrom or Lucina or re-adding Roy, they chose Mad King Gangrel as the FE rep for Smash 4? It would break the cycle of blue-haired lords and add a much-needed villain at the same time. Plus he's a promoted Thief class, which has so much potential for a cool moveset.

I think Nintendo would stand to lose a lot more money from prematurely killing the Wii U (even though it's been something of a train-wreck so far) than letting it play out for a shorter-than-usual life cycle and then making a much more capable system, but I dunno I reckon I'd prefer SSB4 be on stronger hardware. At the same time SSB4 should look amazing regardless, being the first HD game in the series and all.

Pulling completely out of E3 for several years would be both bizarre and disastrous, but I get this is just a highly hypothetical 'what if' wish scenario.

NeonZ

If the game ends up rushed to attempt to add another Wii U system seller to the market, I could see a few odd character choices just to reuse movesets/animations...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
One of the Agon Waste item collection videos in Echoes.

You probably wouldn't have noticed because Blister spent the whole video being Blister.

I hope they do.

But I honestly can't think of any characters who I haven't seen on someone's list at some point.

Did anyone ever suggest Mr. Game and Watch during Melee era and R.O.B. during Brawl era.

Did anyone ever suggest Mr. Game and Watch during Melee era and R.O.B. during Brawl era.
ROB showed up quite a bit in discussions as a potential retro-rep when Brawl was announced, but the mini-Rob's showing up as enemies in the preview SSE material led most people to assume he was only a drone enemy in the adventure mode.

I'd say Pokemon Trainer was the biggest surprise character for Brawl post-2006 reveal with Snake.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
ROB showed up quite a bit in discussions as a potential retro-rep when Brawl was announced, but the mini-Rob's showing up as enemies in the preview SSE material led most people to assume he was only a drone enemy in the adventure mode.

I'd say Pokemon Trainer was the biggest surprise character for Brawl post-2006 reveal with Snake.

Definitely! I remembered that we did talked about R.O.B and some people automatically believed that R.O.B. have no chance to become playable character because of it's status as regular enemy. I recalled that there are few supporters for R.O.B. at Nintendo Forum before they shut it down.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
True but there are still room for surprises like Mike Jones or Jill who do not show up very often on lists no mattter how many we make.

I wouldn't say Jill since she made her debut in Brawl as assest. I would says characters like Mike Jones, Lip, Kumatora, Laughing Dog, etc.

The only way I could see them topping the "what the fuck is going on is this real life" reaction to the Snake reveal is if they included a character from a rival company like Nathan Drake or Master Chief, and that is never happening. I really don't think any Smash reveal is going to top Brawl's in unexpected newcomerness.

Banjo Kazooie? I know it won't happen, but I seriously doubt Microsoft has any plans with the IP whereas while unsourced you're always hearing the odd rumor here or there that Nintendo regrets selling that franchise. Unlike Conker/Killer Instinct/Perfect Dark before the buyout it was officially a 1st-party Nintendo series, though how true that Rare traded the rights for the DK64 Kongs (why) for BK back is debatable.

GamerSoul

I wouldn't say Jill since she made her debut in Brawl as assest. I would says characters like Mike Jones, Lip, Kumatora, Laughing Dog, etc.

Oh yea she was IN Brawl, my mistake. An advance Wars character might be something many are not expecting also, imo. Andy, Sami, etc.

Master Cheif? I'd be laughing for the rest of the day if that were to happen.

Banjo Kazooie? I know it won't happen, but I seriously doubt Microsoft has any plans with the IP whereas while unsourced you're always hearing the odd rumor here or there that Nintendo regrets selling that franchise. Unlike Conker/Killer Instinct/Perfect Dark before the buyout it was officially a 1st-party Nintendo series, though how true that Rare traded the rights for the DK64 Kongs (why) for BK back is debatable.
I wish Banjo-Kazooie could happen :(

I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least discussed as a potential newcomer internally at HAL when Melee was being made. Maybe the increasing inevitability of the Rare buyout caused Sakurai to err on the side of caution?
I personally think Banjo and Diddy Kong both would have been in Melee if the Rare buyout didn't happen. Rare said a bunch of their characters were going to be trophies, but it never happened. My guess is the reason there isn't a Diddy Kong trophy is because when (if) he was scrapped as a playable character, the trophy went along with it due to uncertainty over the rights.

As for why Dixie and K.Rool are still trophies, probably because a trophy cameo isn't a big deal where as a playable character could possibly cause trouble (and ultimately forced to cut the characters in sequels)

DaBoss

A bit LTTP, but I really hope Chrom is in the next Smash. With FE: Awakening doing really well in NA and hopefully the same in Europe, people will recognize Chrom as a FE character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I personally think Banjo and Diddy Kong both would have been in Melee if the Rare buyout didn't happen. Rare said a bunch of their characters were going to be trophies, but it never happened. My guess is the reason there isn't a Diddy Kong trophy is because when (if) he was scrapped as a playable character, the trophy went along with it due to uncertainty over the rights.

As for why Dixie and K.Rool are still trophies, probably because a trophy cameo isn't a big deal where as a playable character could possibly cause trouble (and ultimately forced to cut the characters in sequels)

That's interesting.

Guys we need Bayonetta for SSB4

I'm on Anti-Bayonetta team. IF she got in, then that's okay with me.

Y'know, if it came down to choosing whether I wanted the extra characters of Donkey Kong Country (because Nintendo would own DK himself regardless of what Rare does) or the entire Banjo-Kazooie franchise... I'd probably go for the latter, honestly.

But I'd never have assumed such a bizarre sadistic choice would come up. Hell, I'm pretty sure it didn't, but what do I know?

Y'know, if it came down to choosing whether I wanted the extra characters of Donkey Kong Country (because Nintendo would own DK himself regardless of what Rare does) or the entire Banjo-Kazooie franchise... I'd probably go for the latter, honestly.

But I'd never have assumed such a bizarre sadistic choice would come up. Hell, I'm pretty sure it didn't, but what do I know?
To be perfectly honest I doubt that's how it went down, but I definitely remember this narrative coming up numerous times when discussed how Rare got the BK franchise back when it was a 1st party Nintendo series.

Also it was distinctly the DK64 characters, so basically any characters people actually cared about and were still marketable such as Diddy/Dixie/Cranky/Rambi/whatever were perfectly safe. Who the hell would take Chunky and Tiny Kong over owning the entire BK franchise?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope we get a well-made Smash April Fools hoax today, like someone cutting a fake trailer. We got that "Smash Brothers Dancing" one a few years back, that was pretty funny.

KevinCow

Banned
Banjo would be at the top of my list if it were even remotely possible.

I bet Nintendo would even buy him back just for Smash if Sakurai asked them to. :(

I doubt Microsoft is interested in selling, and even if they were, they'd probably deliberately push up the asking price, since it's a direct competitor asking.

I mean, Microsoft is more concerned with Sony, obviously (and rightfully so, since their console will be closer in power and general feature set to the next Xbox than the Wii U is), but I don't think they'd miss the opportunity to make Nintendo a bit miserable if the opportunity arose.

(But let's be realistic, Nintendo's not buying that franchise back.)

Yeah, Microsoft has no reason to sell and honestly Nintendo has no reason to buy. The franchise is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

That said, I'm in agreement with KevinCow; if Banjo & Kazooie were possible, they'd be number one on my most wanted. Higher if possible.

The only way I could see them topping the "what the fuck is going on is this real life" reaction to the Snake reveal is if they included a character from a rival company like Nathan Drake or Master Chief, and that is never happening. I really don't think any Smash reveal is going to top Brawl's in unexpected newcomerness.

Man, when dat Sonic trailer dropped, I lost it.

Though to think what could give a similar reaction...

Can you imagine the salt that would arise from the Playstation Community if someone from Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts was revealed? Especially after not showing up in All-Stars?

Playable Cloud!

(Well, okay, somebody from a game that actually showed up on a Nintendo console would probably be more likely, but a FFVII character would probably maximize salt)

J-Tier

Man, when dat Sonic trailer dropped, I lost it.

Though to think what could give a similar reaction...

Can you imagine the salt that would arise from the Playstation Community if someone from Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts was revealed? Especially after not showing up in All-Stars?

Would prove where Square's allegiances lie.

PK Gaming

I don't agree with most of those DLC choices, since I havent played Uprising, but I think Nintendo would greatly benefit from having that type of DLC and dedication to Smash. The WiiU is not in the best shape right now so having a game like Smash which can can easily generate millions of dollars in extra revenue AFTER it's release for many months would be the smart thing to do. They really need to catch up with the times because they're leaving potential money on the table.

The great thing about it is that everything will be already set with the official release so Sakurai can move on to other things or get some rest. They can have their other studios regulate and supply DLC characters, stages, etc. Easy money for them and the fans will still be looking forward to playing their Smash. It's a win-win. Just think of the possibilities. Nintendo can advertise a new IP by having the character and a stage as DLC in Smash.

Oh haha, I didn't mean that I wanted those characters as DLC characters (though if Palutena or Hades don't make it in smash 4 in some shape or form i'll be mad)

I was literally praying to them :9

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
It's the decade of Luigi. Mario will be getting cut, but to compensate, Luigi will have a Mario outfit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm still wondering if we'll see Luigi cameos in 2013 games.

Like, his hat in Pikmin 3, a Luigi-based hero in Wonderful 101, and a trainer named after him in XY with a team of Green Pokemon.

GamerSoul

We need Sora god damnit!

Heh, I forgot all the FF and Sora discussions there were about their inclusion. It's still a possibility i guess.

Oh haha, I didn't mean that I wanted those characters as DLC characters (though if Palutena or Hades don't make it in smash 4 in some shape or form i'll be mad)

I was literally praying to them :9

Ohhhh, once again I have proven I cannot read lol. KI is going to get content one way or another.

IF Lyn did get in, I'd like this outfit:

Because that coat is sick.

True, I love that design. So much Sacaen Swag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom