• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

I am thinking that if character DLC happens for Smash 4 that there is a good chance that the DLC characters will be "on disc". There are two primary reasons for this:
1. Namco already has done this before with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken
2. The limited internal space for the 3DS.

Wait...what? Limited internal space? What are you talking about? There isn't really a limit for 3DS downloads. HUGE games like Resident Evil: Revelations are available to download from the eShop, and I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any "on-cartridge" 3DS DLC. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Sparkle Snapshots 3D, Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!, Style Savvy: Trendsetters, Fire Emblem Awakening, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity... None of the DLC from any of those games is all on the cartridge. And Nintendo doesn't do DLC that way. It doesn't matter what Namco Bandai has done before. The game's being published by Nintendo, and there's no way Nintendo would allow on-disc or on-cartridge DLC like that when they've said that they're against it.

Anth0ny

Nintendo would be stupid to not do Smash DLC.

Not all DLC is bad DLC. 99% of DLC is bad DLC... but Nintendo falls into that 1% from what they've offered so far.

A bunch of stages, music and gameplay tweaks/fixes 6-12 months in would be great.

Gattuso

I can't see smash doing DLC.
I can, especially with the way they have embraced dlc. although i don't think it will be on disc though.
Snakey said:
what does the internal space have to do with anything if everything except dsiware and system apps/games are saved to the sd card.
Snakey said:
For this reason, we could very well end up knowing what characters will end up as DLC for Smash 4 as soon as the game is dumped online (which would be a short while after the game's release). However, I wonder if the there are any ROM dumps for 3DS/Wii U games like there were for the Wii. If not, then Sakurai could very well keep the entire fanbase in the dark as to who will end up as DLC, even if the characters are "on-disc".
rom/iso dumps mean nothing if there's no way to actually explore the contents inside. 3ds games have been dumped for a long time now but there isn't much use for them (yet).

Gattuso

Huh yeah, what does the Smash logo mean?

SmashBrosSymbol.png

this? I don't think they ever gave it a meaning

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am thinking that if character DLC happens for Smash 4 that there is a good chance that the DLC characters will be "on disc". There are two primary reasons for this:
1. Namco already has done this before with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken

I think for this reason why many of the DLC characters may be clones, as they would be quick to implement in (Sakurai mentioned that six clones take the work of one completely unique character), and by simply getting the models, sound files, and other important character data for them already in, they could leave properly balancing them to a later data after the game's release.

Although most people detest the idea of "on disc" DLC, keep in mind that with at least Namco (who is developing the game), they have had precedence for making such characters free (at least for Tekken Tag Tournament 2), especially considering much of TTT2's DLC characters were clones.

For this reason, we could very well end up knowing what characters will end up as DLC for Smash 4 as soon as the game is dumped online (which would be a short while after the game's release). However, I wonder if the there are any ROM dumps for 3DS/Wii U games like there were for the Wii. If not, then Sakurai could very well keep the entire fanbase in the dark as to who will end up as DLC, even if the characters are "on-disc".

I do think DLC will be something Sakurai is asked about at E3. However, knowing Sakurai, I believe he will give out an ambiguous answer if there is plans for DLC, or a straight "no" if there are no plans.

Capcom worked on that game, not Namco Bandai. Plus I really hope that Sakurai actually consider about DLC characters when they didn't finish the game on time.

Nintendo says a lot of things.

like what?

NeonZ

Nintendo says a lot of things.

Well, in this case, they clearly know that it'd hurt their image. Just look at Fire Emblem Awakening. It has some time locked content which is actually more fully robust than the paid DLC, which isn't on cart.

They know that doing otherwise would just give them bad press and hurt the sales of the DLC/game itself and confidence in future products. Nintendo is dumb sometimes, but they generally aim for long term sustainability of game sales, not just one short first month sales.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm I didn't realize that.

*checks opening*

Ahh it's in the background. I always thought it's two clashing forces.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hmm I didn't realize that.

*checks opening*

Ahh it's in the background. I always thought it's two clashing forces.

I wonder why they still carried that logo since I don't think there are windows in Melee and Brawl. I guess it's a symbol of imagination of kid with their nintendo character dolls fighting each other.

Edited: Actually they were trophy figurines in Melee and Brawl. I would like that if they bring plushies/dolls back for SSB4.

Well, it'd be a neat way to show off the additional power the Wii U affords them (not so much in comparison to the competition, but the Wii): make everyone look like felt models before getting "awakened". Yarn Yoshi is actually a test run for this very thing!

Boss Doggie

How about action figures instead of trophies!

And you have an option to "open" them or have a mint condition!

Ryce

They've been called figures since the first game in Japan. I'd like to meet the localization genius who thought "trophies" made any more sense.

Boss Doggie

They've been called figures since the first game in Japan. I'd like to meet the localization genius who thought "trophies" made any more sense.

Maybe it's a cultural thing? Like how figures are related to action figures in US, but in Japan there're various "figures".

qq more

Sakurai as DLC?

With Iwata, Miyamoto and Reggie as DLC characters too.

Iwata gets a badass katana or some other cool sword. Miyamoto has an army of pikmin
oh wait shit, he's an olimar clone!!!!
. And Reggie gets revolvers.

Oh and Iwata's final smash is nuking the entire arena.

n2iyj3C.jpg

GOTF

How about action figures instead of trophies!

And you have an option to "open" them or have a mint condition!

I know you're joking, but Sticker Star actually pulled that with its stupid sticker museum and how you had to hesitate using any moderately-rare sticker in battle 'cuz you realized it wasn't museum'd yet.

That SUCKED.

On the plus side, pretty much every sticker respawned - and the ones that didn't had another location where you could obtain them again.

Stupid Fire Emblem demo makes me want the real game, which isn't out yet!

I'd also be okay with Chrom in Smash now, he looks and sounds less annoying than Ike.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Stupid Fire Emblem demo makes me want the real game, which isn't out yet!

I'd also be okay with Chrom in Smash now, he looks and sounds less annoying than Ike.

I haven't play the game yet but my friend bought bundle and played FE:A. He mention that he is willing to give up Ike for Chrom despite Ike is his main character because he really like him better than Ike from their games what I remembered.

While I can see the "panes" of the window in the logo, I don't recall that specific formation showing up in the intro or ending of the 64 game... I'll have to check again sometime, but they did a rather poor job of highlighting it if so many people don't get the reference.

GamerSoul

It does look like the window. That is quite random.

I haven't play the game yet but my friend bought bundle and played FE:A. He mention that he is willing to give up Ike for Chrom despite Ike is his main character because he really like him better than his own game from what I remembered.

I haven't played Awakening and even I'm willing to give up Ike at this point for Chrom and others.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I had an idea today...Wii U version can go with trophies, perhaps integrating some sort of NFC features (optional, of course), while the 3DS version could go with cards and have some AR Card tie-in.

Boss Doggie

I know you're joking, but Sticker Star actually pulled that with its stupid sticker museum and how you had to hesitate using any moderately-rare sticker in battle 'cuz you realized it wasn't museum'd yet.

That SUCKED.

You want something that is annoying for collecting? Brave Fencer Musashi has both mint condition action figures AND non-mint condition!

That sounds annoying.

Actually, it's pretty benevolent. The "rare" stickers respawn after using them. So you can pretty much pull one, stick it to the sticker museum, then go back to pick one up.

When I say "rare", I mean less Things and more the Giant Sparkly Rainbow shit. (I mean, I know the method for making them appear and everything, but sheesh - you're not doing it in ten minutes.)

The strongest defense of the museum is "Oh, but you can just spend an hour paperizing your stickers into empty blocks and hope for the best / spend 500 coins at the merchant and get another!", but obviously that still discourages sticker use during battle which is supposed to be the entire point of the game.

Sponge

Banned
I am thinking that if character DLC happens for Smash 4 that there is a good chance that the DLC characters will be "on disc".

I'd have to agree with this. Sakurai builds up teams and disbands them after the games are finished. Who would be left to make DLC when Smash 4 is over?

I'd have to agree with this. Sakurai builds up teams and disbands them after the games are finished. Who would be left to make DLC when Smash 4 is over?

There might be some hidden unlockables that require you to buy some external items. I can't recall if he did it in Brawl, but Melee had an Olimar trophy that you had to unlock by having a Pikmin save on the same memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom