• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys know what would be a WTF choice that would be near Snake levels?

Hatsune Miku

In Japan at least
Scott would be better

tumblr_mj9o4o77ww1qb8r7co2_500.gif

I'm sure he likes a lot of things, but he has the good sense to include guest characters who actually deserve it.

Like Snake? Who was only put in because he's bros with his creator?

There's no real "deserving" with 3rd party picks, the sample we have is much to small to point out what Sakurai picks for 3rd party characters other than "personal reasons/ that one poll he had that resulted in Sonic getting in".

Ryce

Like Snake? Who was only put in because he's bros with his creator?
Yes, like Snake. He's one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. Sakurai has a lot of friends in the game industry -- Kojima asking for Snake isn't the only reason he's in Brawl. If the creator of, say, Super Monkey Ball asked Sakurai to put AiAi in Smash Bros., I doubt he would have complied.

Yes, like Snake. He's one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. Sakurai has a lot of friends in the game industry -- Kojima asking for Snake isn't the only reason he's in Brawl. If the creator of, say, Super Monkey Ball asked Sakurai to put AiAi in Smash Bros., I doubt he would have complied.

I think you're over thinking it.
The only reason we know for why Snake was put in was the friendship between them. We would have no way of knowing is AiAi would or would not have gotten in if the creator and Sakurai were friends and he asked this of him back when Smash was purely Nintendo characters.

Sakurai has always been clear on how 3rd party characters get in, and that's by being on a Nintendo system at some point in the past and originating in games and not cartoons or manga. Beyond that, we don't know much seeing as we have exactly 2 examples of non-nintendo characters getting in and one was completely by winning a poll and the other was just Sakurai doing w/e cause of friendship.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Glad to see others have seen the iDOLM@STER light. Though Haruka is the obvious choice.

She is Sakurai's waifu after all.

fisheyes

I think you're over thinking it.
The only reason we know for why Snake was put in was the friendship between them. We would have no way of knowing is AiAi would or would not have gotten in if the creator and Sakurai were friends and he asked this of him back when Smash was purely Nintendo characters.

Sakurai has always been clear on how 3rd party characters get in, and that's by being on a Nintendo system at some point in the past and originating in games and not cartoons or manga. Beyond that, we don't know much seeing as we have exactly 2 examples of non-nintendo characters getting in and one was completely by winning a poll and the other was just Sakurai doing w/e cause of friendship.

I think you're under thinking it. You can't seriously think the only reason Snake was suggested and got in was because the two were friends, right? It helped, sure, but its not the only reason. Smash is a game where video game icons (and then some ring ins) can duke it out. Kojima would've thought that Snake, as a video game icon himself, would be a good fit. Its safe to assume that other developers have probably looked at their creations and gone "yeah, this character would be a good fit in Smash", too. But Kojima, knowing Sakurai personally, had a much easier channel to go about asking about putting him in than those other developers would've. Plus he thought to ask, and others may not have (see Megaman). So he went to Sakurai, and then the ball was in Sakurai's court, and, as it happened, Sakurai thought that Snake, as a video game icon himself, would be a good fit for the game also. And so, with both parties thinking he would fit and the communication between these two actually happening, it happened. If Kojima drew a new character on the back of a napkin while at lunch with Sakurai, do you think that both would go "oh yeah, that character is a good fit, lets put him in"?

Do I have a source for this? Yeah, its called common sense. Sure, its not some obscure, vague sentence he said in an interview 4 years ago, but damn it, its common sense. Something highly lacking in this thread with many of the arguments here.

It's also worth noting that Kojima and Sakurai were not the only two people involved in the crossover as well. They may have instigated it, but it still required the okaying and cooperation of two large video game companies and their executives. There was a lot more going on there than "Oh, Kojima is just buddies with Sakurai, that's it."

Snakey

Probably for the same reason I argue with Snakey.

I don't know what your beef is. But I always put up links and sound arguments when arguing my viewpoint. Secondly, none of my views are unorthodox. I think your beef is that you don't want to see Mewtwo and Roy back, whereas I'm a supporter for their return.

I keep saying this, but I don't think anyone from Brawl should be cut, and that the return of Mewtwo and Roy would be received very well. I think if DLC characters happen Brawl's cast (plus Mewtwo and Roy) are guaranteed to happen, as I see it, the main obstacle to their return will be "time constraints".

The only characters that are iffy are Sonic and Snake, and that is due to what Sakurai's long-term beliefs about third-party characters is.

Less than 2.5 months until the Smash 4 unveil. Its going to be surreal to finally be referring to Smash 4 by a proper name.

syQ0A.gif

I don't argue for any good reason or because I have a beef. I just nitpick so I can have a good argument. No ill will is meant towards anyone in this thread.

Um, I've always wondered this... what's considered a Combo in Super Smash Bros. Games? I mean I'd like to believe it's different from chaining a combo in a standard fighting game...

Anth0ny

Um, I've always wondered this... what's considered a Combo in Super Smash Bros. Games? I mean I'd like to believe it's different from chaining a combo in a standard fighting game...

Just like in any other fighting game, a chain of attack in which the person getting hit cannot escape.

However, it is different than combos in a standard fighting game, since Smash has directional influence and percents, which means certain combos will or will not work depending on DI/percents.

Don't look now, but only 2 months until E3. This wait was so much harder last year with all that bullshit Wii U hype. ugh.

Snakey

I am thinking that if character DLC happens for Smash 4 that there is a good chance that the DLC characters will be "on disc". There are two primary reasons for this:
1. Namco already has done this before with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken
2. The limited internal space for the 3DS.

I think for this reason why many of the DLC characters may be clones, as they would be quick to implement in (Sakurai mentioned that six clones take the work of one completely unique character), and by simply getting the models, sound files, and other important character data for them already in, they could leave properly balancing them to a later data after the game's release.

Although most people detest the idea of "on disc" DLC, keep in mind that with at least Namco (who is developing the game), they have had precedence for making such characters free (at least for Tekken Tag Tournament 2), especially considering much of TTT2's DLC characters were clones.

For this reason, we could very well end up knowing what characters will end up as DLC for Smash 4 as soon as the game is dumped online (which would be a short while after the game's release). However, I wonder if the there are any ROM dumps for 3DS/Wii U games like there were for the Wii. If not, then Sakurai could very well keep the entire fanbase in the dark as to who will end up as DLC, even if the characters are "on-disc".

I do think DLC will be something Sakurai is asked about at E3. However, knowing Sakurai, I believe he will give out an ambiguous answer if there is plans for DLC, or a straight "no" if there are no plans.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Which is why I prefer Smash's methods of attack over PSA's. PSA feel too "dial a number" combo where attacks come out WILL chain regardless of enemy status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom