• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing I've noticed about the poster...

So, we all know it's an edited version of the current poster, which they've done before, but an interesting thing is that the new version has some other differences besides the Newtwo...for one, the main title is moved, allowing parts of Ash, Oshawott, and Genesect to be seen which was previously covered up. This is especially noticeable as you can now see all of Ash's stomach.

Well, editing the poster to move the Title like that and uncover additional parts of the characters isn't an easy task for a fake, they'd have to do a lot of clean-up. It suggests that whoever edited the poster had access to the individual layers of the poster allowing them to move individual elements around...in other words, the OLM staff who created the poster.

So I'm going for real.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Twas the strongest F-throw in melee and one of her best killers yet was reduced to crap along with her down smash, vegetables, air speed, and horrid excuse for a double jump in brawl. /bitter

Oh man, I love down smash move in melee since it can be very abusing. What's up with vegetables, since I thought it were same.

ffdgh

They did the same ammount of damage at any distance and weren't affected by damage scaling. It's a fair tradeoff tho I guess since they can be abused by glide tossing in brawl lol.

One thing I've noticed about the poster...

So, we all know it's an edited version of the current poster, which they've done before, but an interesting thing is that the new version has some other differences besides the Newtwo...for one, the main title is moved, allowing parts of Ash, Oshawott, and Genesect to be seen which was previously covered up. This is especially noticeable as you can now see all of Ash's stomach.

Well, editing the poster to move the Title like that and uncover additional parts of the characters isn't an easy task for a fake, they'd have to do a lot of clean-up. It suggests that whoever edited the poster had access to the individual layers of the poster allowing them to move individual elements around...in other words, the OLM staff who created the poster.

So I'm going for real.

There's that ... and the fact that the background is completely different. Most fakers can barely make a passable fake with "OK" Japanese smeared on it ... never seen someone go as far as to make a unique background that fits the style of the posters up til that point.

The head is half the body, though.

Then wait to see the other half before going ape because his ne form does SOMETHING with his ... ya know ... second neck/ spinal cord :p

CorvoSol

There's that ... and the fact that the background is completely different. Most fakers can barely make a passable fake with "OK" Japanese smeared on it ... never seen someone go as far as to make a unique background that fits the style of the posters up til that point.

Then wait to see the other half before going ape because his ne form does SOMETHING with his ... ya know ... second neck/ spinal cord :p

But it's a horrible design already. Why wait until I've eaten a whole sandwich if I know it's bad from the first bite? Some Formes are cool, like Giratina's. Some are awful, like Shaymin's. It appears that Newtwo is of the latter type, if that picture is real. They slid his tail up and stuck it on the back of the head.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But it's a horrible design already. Why wait until I've eaten a whole sandwich if I know it's bad from the first bite? Some Formes are cool, like Giratina's. Some are awful, like Shaymin's. It appears that Newtwo is of the latter type, if that picture is real. They slid his tail up and stuck it on the back of the head.

Because sometimes poor shots can assume people's PoV. I really didn't like Sylveon until I saw an official, clearer shot, for instance.

Because judging the aesthetic appeal of something is different than eating a sammich?

You can't judge the over-all attractiveness of a person based purely on their head.

There's that and the fact that that's "Anime art" which makes Pokemon look different. Remember ... THIS is the official Mewtwo art.. THIS is how he looked in the first movie ... and THIS is his new movie looks for the new anime style in BW (likely because it's easier to animate and as such will look better in motion).
I would wait for the official art at least if I felt so strongly against it.

Drago

It will be this pokemon and you will like it.

Ot1fy4Cl.jpg

CorvoSol

Because sometimes poor shots can assume people's PoV. I really didn't like Sylveon until I saw an official, clearer shot, for instance.

I liked Sylveon as soon as I saw, though.

Because judging the aesthetic appeal of something is different than eating a sammich?

You can't judge the over-all attractiveness of a person based purely on their head.

There's that and the fact that that's "Anime art" which makes Pokemon look different. Remember ... THIS is the official Mewtwo art.. THIS is how he looked in the first movie ... and THIS is his new movie looks for the new anime style in BW (likely because it's easier to animate and as such will look better in motion).
I would wait for the official art at least if I felt so strongly against it.

People judge attractiveness of a person based on head all the time. This is the exact thinking behind the term "butterface". It's a judgment, however cruel, based entirely upon someone's face. And this new Mewtwo has the ugliest damn head. How could the rest of the body redeem the fact that Mewtwo's ass has been fused to the back of his head?

SSB: Ness, Kirby
SSBM: Peach, Jiggly
SSBB: G&W
SSBU: Peach if she controls better again.

If Mewtwo gets back in I'd prefer the normal form with this newfangled form as a Final Smash.

GamerSoul

Eh, Mewtwo has never been easy on the eyes so how ever he ends up looking is ok

I completely forgot melee had an adventure mode id like something like that but I still want full on boss fights after each stage.
I'm curious as to what was everyone's most used character for each game and going in to 4 who do you see yourself using the most?
SSB64: Pikachu and Link
SSBM: Peach (for the longest time), Marth, Sheik
SSBB: Ike, ZZS, whoever i feel like when i get bored
SSBU: Captain Syrup... In reality probably Chrom

Smash 64 - Luigi and Samus.
Melee - Toss-up between Cpt. Falcon, DK or Falco. Sometimes Luigi and Samus, Mewtwo if I'm just dicking around.
Brawl - Toss-up between Wario, Toon Link or Snake. Sometimes DK, ROB and Ike. Sonic if I'm just dicking around.
SSB4 - Assuming if he's in I'd see Mega Man playing like a faster Samus with copy-abilities, so probably him. As much as I want them in K. Rool and Palutena will probably have trickier playstyles I'm not as good with. Maybe Chrom if he replaces Ike?

SSB64 - Mario
SSBM - Yoshi
SSBB - Zero Suit Samus, Browser, Marthy Marth and his Falchion Bunch
SSB4 - Probably Palutena if she's revealed, otherwise Bowja in his Cashle

People judge attractiveness of a person based on head all the time. This is the exact thinking behind the term "butterface". It's a judgment, however cruel, based entirely upon someone's face. And this new Mewtwo has the ugliest damn head. How could the rest of the body redeem the fact that Mewtwo's ass has been fused to the back of his head?
carrot-top-plastic-surgery-body.jpg

Smash 64 - Pikachu
Melee - Jigglypuff
Brawl - Pokemon Trainer and Toon Link
Smash 4 - Palutena p'raps, but as much as I want her I dunno how well I'd do with mostly magical non-physical moves. We'll see.

No, you're not getting what I'm saying ... and "Butterface" works for my side of this actually cause you can see the whole body and acknowledge that you like X and Y and everything but Z.

What I mean is that you CAN'T tell how overall attractive someone is from ONLY seeing their head. Its like calling someone pretty because they have a nice head in this picture where you can't see their jacked up body. This is even clearer in drawings of fictional characters. There are TONS of Pokemon and characters in general that would look strange if all you could clearly see was their head and not their full silhouette with out knowing what they look like. That's because those designs are meant to work together ... the body-legs-feet-arms and head are put together in a way to work together.

Not liking the head is one thing and I don't know nor do I care how you will react to the full official GF drawn art. Just saying that maybe, just maybe, people should chill until they get a clear picture of the thing.

CorvoSol

No, you're not getting what I'm saying ... and "Butterface" works for my side of this actually cause you can see the whole body and acknowledge that you like X and Y and everything but Z.

What I mean is that you CAN'T tell how overall attractive someone is from ONLY seeing their head. Its like calling someone pretty because they have a nice head in this picture where you can't see their jacked up body. This is even clearer in drawings of fictional characters. There are TONS of Pokemon and characters in general that would look strange if all you could clearly see was their head and not their full silhouette with out knowing what they look like. That's because those designs are meant to work together ... the body-legs-feet-arms and head are put together in a way to work together.

Not liking the head is one thing and I don't know nor do I care how you will react to the full official GF drawn art. Just saying that maybe, just maybe, people should chill until they get a clear picture of the thing.

1. I have never heard butterface used in a positive light. It works against your argument, because no matter what's below the neck, people look on in horror. There's a reason reverse mermaid's aren't popular.

2. We're not talking about other Pokemon. We're talking about a redesign or new form of a presently existing one where they stuck his ass to the back of his head. It's more than understandable that people would dislike what they've seen when they already have something to compare it to. I can't look at the head of a Medicham and say they ruined it because it's not like there was a Medicham before. I can look at them gluing Mewtwo's ass to the back of his head and say I don't like what I see.

3. You kinda need to relax on all of this. All I'm saying is what I've seen is not pleasing, and what I've seen looks worse than what already was. I'm not even entirely certain that the image we've seen is real, and if it is, oh well, it's not like formes are permanent things I have to maintain. I'll remember it as a perfectly bad design of a Pokemon with a perfectly good one, and my life will go on. If it is as you say, you don't care what my reaction to the full image will be, why do you seem to care what my reaction to what I've seen is now?

Anyway, like you said, it's the head of a thing, and there's no reason to make a big deal out of it, so I apologize if that is what I have been doing.

SSB64 - Mario
SSBM - Yoshi
SSBB - Zero Suit Samus, Browser, Marthy Marth and his Falchion Bunch
SSB4 - Probably Palutena if she's revealed, otherwise Bowja in his Cashle

carrot-top-plastic-surgery-body.jpg

Am I supposed to like this horror?

Tyeforce

My mains:

SSB: Kirby
SSBM: Marth
SSBB: Toon Link

It's obviously way too early to decide who I'll be maining in the next one. =P

Also, I'm curious, which characters do you guys think are the most likely to be cut? I know a lot of people think that certain characters are likely to be replaced (like Lucario or Ike) or just not return for other reasons (like Sonic or Snake). I've heard arguments for the removal/replacement of all of the following characters:

Jigglypuff
Sheik
Falco
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Ike
Pokémon Trainer
Lucario
R.O.B.
Wolf
Toon Link
Sonic
Snake

What do you think? Personally, Jigglypuff's the only character that I would cut, and only because the Pokémon franchise is going to become overcrowded in Smash Bros. (it already is, kinda, lol).

Am I supposed to like this horror?

Lol of course not, I just googled "Hot Body Ugly Head" and this is what came up

What do you think? Personally, Jigglypuff's the only character that I would cut, and only because the Pokémon franchise is going to become overcrowded in Smash Bros. (it already is, kinda, lol).

I don't know about the Jiggs/Purin getting cut. She/he/it's been in since the first game, and I know a lot of people enjoy playing as her/him/it. (Me included)

Tyeforce

I don't know about the Jiggs/Purin getting cut. She/he/it's been in since the first game, and I know a lot of people enjoy playing as her/him/it. (Me included)
Yeah, but that's all she really has going for her. And you could say that a lot of people enjoy playing as any character. If any character got cut there will always be people who'll be disappointed. But that can always be resolved by adding cut characters back in later via DLC! lol

GamerSoul

Also, I'm curious, which characters do you guys think are the most likely to be cut? I know a lot of people think that certain characters are likely to be replaced (like Lucario or Ike) or just not return for other reasons (like Sonic or Snake). I've heard arguments for the removal/replacement of all of the following characters:

Snake

Imo, the original cast is safe. Their moves have already been set for years now so it shouldn't be tooo hard to get them finished. Idk, it may all come down to who gets less priority over the new batch of characters. Like if Chrom and some pkmn are in, they will probably have more priority over Ike and Lucario. I can see Sheik being remade to SS Sheik kinda like how young Link was changed to Toon Link. Snake and Sonic could be lost. In the end, the cut characters could once again be the guys who they didn't get to finish due to time contraints. To me, It's kinda hard to single out who could be cut even if it's a possibility.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So Mewtwo has a psychic mullet now?

My prediction is that there won't be any cuts... except Pokémon Trainer or Lucario might have to be.

It seems like GameFreak / The Pokémon Company has a lot of say into what Pokémon content gets into Smash; I have no doubt that Lucario got in because they wanted him and Mewtwo would've made it instead if not for that (Why else would he be the only non-clone to get cut?). So history could repeat itself with a Gen V or VI character they really want in the game, and then there's Mewtwo and the attention he's getting all of a sudden... Definitely the most overcrowded and hardest to predict part of the roster.

And while I'd also prefer to see Jiggylpuff gone rather than either of those two, she's probably safe in all of this due to being in since the original.

what if smash 4 goes all street fighter 3/mark of the worves/tekken 3 and is mostly newcomers instead of veterans

I think I would prefer that to just having a few cuts. Having your favorite character cut is easier to swallow when it's part of a reboot, sort of like the jump from MvC2 to 3.

I think I would prefer that to just having a few cuts. Having your favorite character cut is easier to swallow when it's part of a reboot, sort of like the jump from MvC2 to 3.
Even if MvsC3 wasn't a reboot, a lot of the character choices in MvsC2 are pretty awful in terms of properly representing Marvel and Capcom. Shit ton of mutants and shotos just because they were easier to rip from previous Vs. games than making more original characters.

1. I have never heard butterface used in a positive light. It works against your argument, because no matter what's below the neck, people look on in horror. There's a reason reverse mermaid's aren't popular.
... I never said it was used in a positive light sir. I said that it's used to acknowledge that someone may have attractive features outside of their face.

And "horror"? What are you talking about? It's used to say "This person has a attractive body despite not having an attractive face". Body may or may not make up for the current appearance of the face depending ...

2. We're not talking about other Pokemon. We're talking about a redesign or new form of a presently existing one where they stuck his ass to the back of his head. It's more than understandable that people would dislike what they've seen when they already have something to compare it to. I can't look at the head of a Medicham and say they ruined it because it's not like there was a Medicham before. I can look at them gluing Mewtwo's ass to the back of his head and say I don't like what I see.
No, we're talking about a anime poster that covers most of the body of a new Pokemon form in which certain themes have been remixed. And on top of that this isn't official GF concept art. As I pointed out that anime often times alter designs to be more animation friendly or to fit the themes they're going for (Movie 1 Mewtwo looked far darker than the GF art because he was the bad guy. This movie has him looking as cute as they can get away with seeing how he's the protag Pokemon)

And no ... you can't look at the head of a Medicham and say that in the case of never seeing it. You can, however, pick a better example. Like, saaaay ... a Pokemon that got a later gen evol. A Pokemon with a new form. The kami trio would be a safe bet. Seeing only parcel reveals for them that only show the head would make them look pretty crap imo.

And like I said, you can dislike what you currently see ... I don't care. My main and only point was that people should wait to see the full official GF art before going ape-shit about the design because right now the only thing I can see is "Oh ... he has a halo horn, red eyes and his weird second neck is now a Lekku/ braintail" and that's no where near enough info to fully understand the idea the designers are trying to conva

3. You kinda need to relax on all of this. All I'm saying is what I've seen is not pleasing, and what I've seen looks worse than what already was. I'm not even entirely certain that the image we've seen is real, and if it is, oh well, it's not like formes are permanent things I have to maintain. I'll remember it as a perfectly bad design of a Pokemon with a perfectly good one, and my life will go on. If it is as you say, you don't care what my reaction to the full image will be, why do you seem to care what my reaction to what I've seen is now?

Anyway, like you said, it's the head of a thing, and there's no reason to make a big deal out of it, so I apologize if that is what I have been doing.

I'm perfectly relaxed, I actually find it funny that people are going crazy over this. I clearly love Pikachu ... but I hate the strange design of this street-rat named Raichu. So? It's just an optional appearance for a Pokemon I like. Would prefer they made a better looking evol but ehh. And in this case ... though I love Mewtwo and he is pretty much a forever-member of my top 5 coolest Pokemon list, I have NEVER cared much for his design. Over all he looks like a mutated fetus that some how matured. But that's his origin, he has a reason to look like that and I look forward to seeing the full Mew3 art and the reasons behind it.

And plus, I'm simply enjoying that anything that makes Mewtwo relevant makes his smash return that much more likely. :p

(Oh, and like I said ... I don't care if you like it or not. This whole thing only started because of your incorrect assumption that liking a design = taking a bite from a sammich so people should carry on going nuts over this. There's a ton more that goes behind making an appealing design than "the top 30% of it's body" and I think it best to remember that even if you're not digging the head.)

P.S.- Hope the grith of my post isn't giving and argumentative vibe. I simply like making sure my point is not being mistaken. We coo?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Jigglypuff
Sheik
Falco
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Ike
Pokémon Trainer
Lucario
R.O.B.
Wolf
Toon Link
Sonic
Snake

I recalled a rumor about jigglypuff. Pokmon company want sakurai to keep jigglypuff in brawl. If he didn't then something else would happens. That's why sakurai often mention that Pokemon company is hard to work with for ssb series. I don't know how reliable this rumor is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom