• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was I the only person who, while watching the reveal on Pokémon Smash, noticed the Lucario mascot guy and thought to myself "well, if anything, this shows that Lucario is certainly still relevant!"? lol

No, it proves that he is still usable as a marketing chip on Pokemon Smash after Zoroark fell flat on it's face.

What Pokemon needs at this point is either all gen 1 Pokemon and one new gen Pokemon to rep the new games or a spread of as many gens it can get (PT getting different gen starters for example could cover 3 gens.)

But that aint gonna happen so my best guess is Pika/ Jpuff/ PT/ Newtwo or New Eevee to rep the new games..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was I the only person who, while watching the reveal on Pokémon Smash, noticed the Lucario mascot guy and thought to myself "well, if anything, this shows that Lucario is certainly still relevant!"? lol

Seriously, Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo. All the Pokémon you need for Smash Bros. They're perfect! What's great is that they can get away with featuring the latest generation in the game by bringing back Mewtwo, too, thanks to this new form (well, if it is a new form and not an entirely different Pokémon).

Lucario is effectively a character in Pokemon Smash (and even before - Pokemon Sunday). He is known as Director Lucario and even has his own card. With that said it does show how much popular Lucario is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hope Newtwo catches up as the fan name rather than Mewthree.

Newtwo in the roster, Mewtwo as a pseudo-clone available in the first batch of DLC. Lock it in.

You know what would be funny? Newtwo being a better "Mewtwo" than Mewtwo who still remains shit after being just copy-pasta'd from Melee.

It's kinda weird that Newtwo is the first thing outta X&Y that feels like it has a significant chance of making it in though. Especially cause it's essentially Mewtwo with modifications.

I really want the opening trailer for Smash already, it'd give a lot more clarity on their direction for new characters. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The newcomer will actually be Pikamewtwo which is just Pikachu with angry eyes and purple coloured electrical attacks.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Rumor going around right now is that it's called "Éclair Forme" (as that name was posted the other day on 2chan when the poster was leaked), so I think they're playing with us and it IS Mewtwo...it makes more sense since the Movie Poster has it straight-up replace Mewtwo, which would be weird if it's an all-new Pokemon.

Watch Da Birdie

Probably using its French meaning beyond the pastry, a "flash of light".

That's the Japanese name though, I can see them changing up the English name.

DaBoss

you and me are enemies from this day forward

better sleep with one eye open from now on...!

t9YihjY.jpg

DaBoss

10j3i.jpg

I assure you, i'm not Ness.
(readies Evoker)

amazing response btw, i died of laughter

Evoker? Bringing some Persona stuff into this? Thought you were going to use some of that PK powah. Oh well, I guess I have to finish this. :p

*Aura Storm*
6Dwb84q.jpg

Thank you lol, you have a nice reply too.

Gattuso

corrupted uses reply
its not very effective
okay im done messing around i haven't played a pokemon game in ages ignore me

Tyeforce

Zoroark would be cool as a Generation 5 rep in Smash Bros., and probably the most obvious choice, but the main thing against him being a playable character I think is his Ability. Illusion is a huge part of Zoroark's character, and it's really what defines it and sets it apart from other Pokémon, but I fail to see how they would be able to incorporate that Ability in Smash Bros. in a way that works. And without Illusion, is it even worth it? I don't think so.

Another interesting choice for a Generation 5 rep would be N. I think this has probably been brought up in this thread before, but N as a character fighting on-stage with his Pokémon would be really cool. He's really the only human Pokémon character that would make sense fighting on-stage with the others. He could use his Pokémon like Zoroark (a way to include Zoroark without making it its own character!), Sigilyph, Darmanitan, etc., and he could even call in Zekrom/Reshiram for his Final Smash.

That said, I don't think Generation 5 will be getting a playable character. I think it'll be Mewtwo returning and representing Generation 6 at the same time.

KevinCow

Banned
I hate how the Pokemon discussion is dominated by "cool" looking humanoid Pokemon. Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark, Newtwo...

MEH to all of them. I want Pokemon that are cute and fun like Pikachu. I know pretty much nothing about Scrafty, for instance, but he's about a million times more interesting that any of the above just based on the way he looks.

But I know they're probably gonna go with Newtwo. :/

I hate how the Pokemon discussion is dominated by "cool" looking humanoid Pokemon. Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark, Newtwo...

MEH to all of them. I want Pokemon that are cute and fun like Pikachu. I know pretty much nothing about Scrafty, for instance, but he's about a million times more interesting that any of the above just based on the way he looks.

I agree. People in the Smash forums and threads cling to Lucario and the like because they're "cool" but the series is about much more than "what cool anthro can fight" in smash. Hell, P&M were gonna be in brawl and you don't get much cuter than 2 Pika-clons working together.

IMO that's part of why Zoroark failed as a mascot. You can't keep trying to hit that same vibe and expect the same results for a series as vast and diverse as Pokemon. Luckily the 5th gen is overflowing with great Pokemon designs so they could afford to change up the face to Victini after that was clear.

That's why I would be fine with the New Eevee evol getting in. Mewtwo should return regardless (be it Newtwo or org) but if he counts as a 6th gen rep then I would be ok with a 2nd one being the new Eevee evol.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, apart from general "antho" shape (and even then Zoroark isn't as obvious with it like Lucario), it's actually a pretty different Pokemon in terms of how their debut Movie made them out to be. Lucario is this bad-ass, masculine fighter who was hyped up as this powerful fighter with control over Aura. Zoroark, on the other hand, was introduced as a mother wanting to rescue her son, and rather than pure power, she uses her illusions to ultimately gain the upper edge on the villain.

It's kind of unfortunate the superficial appearance of Zoroark is the first thing people bring up when it's not as "LUCARIO CLONE LUCARIO CLONE!" as it first appears.

DaBoss

^^^Agreed, it isn't like Lucario in terrms of how it acts. I just take a jab at it since the Pokemon Company wants make it like Lucario.

Well it should be a Pokemon that represents the generation, is iconic, or resonates with a lot of people. I hope they just add 5 slots for Pokemon. I hope they are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Scrafty, and Newtwo.

I wonder if they will do a Pokemon Trainer sort of character to maximize slots available.

I remember the days when I thought Blaziken would be cool in Smash. :lol

Haha, same.

Ryce

I wonder if they will do a Pokemon Trainer sort of character to maximize slots available.
There's no such thing as a "slot." Pokémon Trainer is three characters -- consolidating them to one character select space doesn't magically save time or disc space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom