• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wound me, good Professor.

NeoGAF in general is pretty good about tolerance for all gens, but it's frigging awful elsewhere on the internet. I vent here because it's the only place I can Mewtwo "stupid" without being eaten alive by a wave of hate.

Seriously, go check any given Pokémon article/thread on a non-Pokémon fansite and marvel at the sheer number of people who put down all of the post-GB gens without acknowledging the flaws of those games.

Or maybe I'm just phenominaly whiny. *shrugs*

CorvoSol

Genwunners is the stupidest fandom term I've ever fucking seen.

I get that there are people who say that Gen 1 is best and new Pokemon look dumb and blahdeblah, but it is kind of annoying the constant mention of Genwunners and how the Pokemon they like aren't cool and people ranting and raving about fetuses and blobs and blah blah blah.

Frankly, as Prof. Beef said, the people decrying the "genwunners" are as awful as the genwunners themselves.

New prediction roster... likely final before E3 2013:
Prediction2_Roster.png
I think Sakurai already decided with the roster few months before e3 2012. I could be wrong.
We'll only find out for sure once Smash 4 is out, but I think this is a good stopping point for adding characters (barring third-party/last-minute clone addition).
Mr. Fix said:
I remember wanting Isaac, and I still do, but I think Brawl was pretty much his best shot at getting in. That ship may have sailed.
Isaac didn't get into Brawl due to very strong competition. There was no way Isaac was going to get in over the likes of Wario in Smash 4. There was also Pikmin, which was a Miyamoto franchise, so it is likely that Olimar got priority because of it. Then you have to take into account other characters like Diddy Kong, Lucario, Meta Knight and Dedede, which makes me feel as Isaac didn't get into Brawl due to Sakurai prioritizing other characters.

Come pre-Smash 4 era and competition is less intense. No doubt Isaac still has to worry about competition, but I think he has enough for Sakurai to finally give him serious consideration for playable status.

I feel as our misc. series newcomers will be Little Mac, Isaac and Shulk. Saki also has a 50/50 shot, though he pales in comparison to the other three due to lack of importance and popularity (but has Sakurai's bias as an asset).
GamerSoul said:
Imo, this is not true for ALL the ATs but for guys like Samurai Goroh, Lil Mac, Saki, Lyn and Isaac...and maybe even Waluigi this could have been the case. Again this was during Brawl's developement time and it most likely means nothing this time around. Nonetheless it's interesting because we're probably going to get more soul crushing ATs for Smash 4 if they return. :/
I think it would refer to all Assist Trophies that didn't make it at the time. Like you said, I doubt this means anything for Smash 4 as I would imagine Sakurai only referred to these characters that way just for Brawl.

That said, most Assist Trophies looks like they won't be getting in Smash 4. The only realistic choices for Smash 4 are Little Mac, Isaac, Saki and Samurai Goroh. I'd say Ray as well due to Noise wanting to make a Custom Robo game (February, 2012, blog in 日本語 (Japanese), but that won't come out in time to affect Smash 4's roster (Smash 5 seems like Ray's shot to get in IMO).
ScraftyDevil said:
Almost as crazy as those who want Roy and Mewtwo to return over Chrom or a new Pokémon :X
I don't see why wanting them to return over newcomers from the franchise would be crazy. Its like saying I'm crazy for preferring Isaac over Shulk..
Boss Doggie said:
Precisely. Their fans are nearing Geno levels.
Honestly, Bayonetta fits this better than Roy and especially Mewtwo. At least Roy and Mewtwo have merits for coming back. Bayonetta is essentially a female bandwagon hidden under the "Bayonetta 2 Wii-U exclusive" banner.

TyeForce, Mach Rider really aught to be listed in the retro poll.

And count me among those who thinks the "Genwunner" rallying cries to drown out dissenting modern opinions is incredibly obnoxious. Yes, there are real people out there that have that awful "Genwunner" viewpoint, but being just as obnoxious in the counter hate is not the solution.

Personally, I like and dislike Pokemon from all of the generations. That said, Mewtwo is still one of my favorite Pokemon, and I think the potential new form's design is terrible. This is an acceptable opinion to have. Attempting to nullify my opinion by basically saying "lol genwunner" is very annoying.

NeoGAF in general is pretty good about tolerance for all gens, but it's frigging awful elsewhere on the internet. I vent here because it's the only place I can Mewtwo "stupid" without being eaten alive by a wave of hate.

Seriously, go check any given Pokémon article/thread on a non-Pokémon fansite and marvel at the sheer number of people who put down all of the post-GB gens without acknowledging the flaws of those games.

Well your first problem is going to fansites in the first place.

Fey

Banned
New prediction roster... likely final before E3 2013:
Prediction2_Roster.png

This seems like a realistic roster imo. I think we'll see a Gen 6 Pokemon in there, though.

I would say Chrom should be there, too, but 4 swordsman FE characters seems like too much.

As long as Palutena is in, I'm happy.
XCgFwTO.gif

Tyeforce

Shouldn't there be an actual Final Fantasy rep for Square Enix instead of Sora and Geno?
I wanted to put a Final Fantasy rep on there, but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on who the Final Fantasy rep should be. Personally, I was torn between Black Mage, Moogle, and Chocobo. And from searching online, it looks like Sora has been more requested, anyway. That said, I don't think Sora should or will ever be in Smash Bros., lol. But hey, he shares a name with Sakurai's studio! Maybe that counts for something? =P

TyeForce, Mach Rider really aught to be listed in the retro poll.
I considered Mach Rider, but I didn't think his franchise had as much weight as any of the others. That doesn't mean he couldn't be included, of course. And that's what the "Other" option is for.

If there's going to be a Square Enix character, Slime is the best choice SE could make. Its too bad that Sakurai won't include him due to having "no arms or legs".
This seems like a realistic roster imo. I think we'll see a Gen 6 Pokemon in there, though.

I would say Chrom should be there, too, but 4 swordsman FE characters seems like too much.

As long as Palutena is in, I'm happy.
XCgFwTO.gif
I'd rather wait and see what Gen 6 Pokémon we do get before we add a Gen 6, but I will admit that it is a possibility.

Four Fire Emblem characters could happen. I think if we get DLC (big if), Chrom will be in as I do think Sakurai will plan him to be in the game. There's also the possibility that Sakurai adds all four FE characters (Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom) form the start or that Chrom gets in over Roy. If I had to rate Chrom's chances, I'd put him at a 50/50.

DaBoss

I know everyone in this thread is sick of Fire Emblem discussion, but I had an idea for a villain rep from the series.

MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS
Grima, the Fell Dragon

Have his appearance be like the Avatar, with a hood on to conceal the gender -- similar to this concept art

Special Moveset:
B: Rally Spectrum (I dunno, could work similar to Lucas's B in Project M -- as in, it boost Smash Attacks)
Up-B/Recovery: Rexcalibur, Wind Magic
Down-B: Bolganone, Fire Magic
Forward-B: Thoron, Thunder Magic

Final Smash: Expiration -- Turns into his Fell Dragon form, creates spikes that come from the ground

I think this would be better:
Have Grima as a stage. It would be intense as hell.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
this is a good stopping point for adding characters (barring third-party/last-minute clone addition).Isaac didn't get into Brawl due to very strong competition. There was no way Isaac was going to get in over the likes of Wario in Smash 4. There was also Pikmin, which was a Miyamoto franchise, so it is likely that Olimar got priority because of it. Then you have to take into account other characters like Diddy Kong, Lucario, Meta Knight and Dedede, which makes me feel as Isaac didn't get into Brawl due to Sakurai prioritizing other characters.

That would be good guess with the time. Your prediction roster is very safe but It's good enough for me.

ffdgh

Speaking if awakening. I hope chaos(ablaze) Divine Decree(Ablaze) Conquest(ablaze) Annihilation(Galvanized) are music tracks in the game.....oh and (game spoilers)
the theme that plays in the chapter after Emmeryn falls to her "death" Don't speak her name!

CorvoSol

I wanted to put a Final Fantasy rep on there, but there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on who the Final Fantasy rep should be. Personally, I was torn between Black Mage, Moogle, and Chocobo. And from searching online, it looks like Sora has been more requested, anyway. That said, I don't think Sora should or will ever be in Smash Bros., lol. But hey, he shares a name with Sakurai's studio! Maybe that counts for something? =P

I considered Mach Rider, but I didn't think his franchise had as much weight as any of the others. That doesn't mean he couldn't be included, of course. And that's what the "Other" option is for.

I would definitely go for an FF1 character or mascot. BM, WM, and Ninja were all in a game WITH Mario and company, so they could work, likewise Mog and Cactuar. If they had to have a pretty boy with a sword, though, the Warrior of Light in his NES alternate costume works just fine, even if the inevitable horde of silly people asking why Roy suddenly doesn't have a cape pop up.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would definitely go for an FF1 character or mascot. BM, WM, and Ninja were all in a game WITH Mario and company, so they could work, likewise Mog and Cactuar. If they had to have a pretty boy with a sword, though, the Warrior of Light in his NES alternate costume works just fine, even if the inevitable horde of silly people asking why Roy suddenly doesn't have a cape pop up.

I wish that Square-Enix would go with Crono but no, they wouldn't.

PK Gaming

Nah it's most definitely the former. Pokemon talk on the internet from non-fans is almost always going to be terrible :|

I don't know about Mach Rider. I mean, I've played the game and I know it's really unique gameplay-wise, but didn't Miyamoto consider F-Zero to be pretty much a replacement for the series, at least thematically?

I don't know about Mach Rider. I mean, I've played the game and I know it's really unique gameplay-wise, but didn't Miyamoto consider F-Zero to be pretty much a replacement for the series, at least thematically?
I added Mach Rider due to being the spirtual predecessor of F-zero, which I feel gives the series some importance. Not to mention that Sakurai likes him based off Mach Rider being his "favorite character" for Smash 2 and Sakurai planning on bringing back old characters. I know most people expect it to be Takamaru (and I do think he will get in), but I'm leaning towards Mach Rider.

In Melee Mach Rider also got a full blown redesign for his trophy unlike the other retro character trophies (okay, admittedly there's not much you can do with Bubbles). I think most people underestimate him greatly. At the very least I'd say he's number two after Takamaru when it comes to retro characters and even then I'm not entirely sure if I think Takamaru is actually that likely or if I've just bought into the potential groupthink.

EDIT: Did you know that Bubbles appeared in Donkey Kong: King of Swing? Random factoid that I remembered just now. Has no bearing on anything but I thought that was interesting.

Okay, so here's my list of characters that
need
should be in the next Smash:
-Saki
-Takamaru
-Chrom
-Louie/New Pikmin rep with Pikmin from Pikmin 3 (AKA NOT A FUCKING CLONE)
-Dixie Kong (DK is a pretty important Franchise to Nintendo, I think it deserves more than 2 reps.)
-K. Rool
-Little Mac (He made a comeback with Super Punch Out!! He deserves to be in)
-Toon Zelda (Come on Sakurai make the dream come true)

I love how hating on modern gens is acceptable but saying genwunners is "OMG you're just as bad!"

Who said that being what you would call a genwunner is okay? I certainly didn't. I just despise the aggressive use of the term to attack those who may actually have a genuine, thought out opinion.

Rather specifically lately that the idea that someone could like the original Mewtwo but dislike the potential new design makes them a "genwunner" worthy of ridicule and sarcastic spite. That's what bothers me about it. It's a term made in response to an actual annoying phenomenon that is more and more commonly used as an aggressive blanket term to shield yourselves from any dissenting opinion you might disagree with. It's annoying, disrespectful, and does not invite actual discussion, instead trying to stamp it out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Who said that being what you would call a genwunner is okay? I certainly didn't. I just despise the aggressive use of the term to attack those who may actually have a genuine, thought out opinion.

Rather specifically lately that the idea that someone could like the original Mewtwo but dislike the potential new design makes them a "genwunner" worthy of ridicule and sarcastic spite. That's what bothers me about it. It's a term made in response to an actual annoying phenomenon that is more and more commonly used as an aggressive blanket term to shield yourselves from any dissenting opinion you might disagree with. It's annoying, disrespectful, and does not invite actual discussion, instead trying to stamp it out.

But see, genwunner is not a term simply used on "hey I like generation I". It's mostly used on "151 only, bitches!" though I believe it should be extended on "I think generation 1 has the best design". I actually see it more used on that than simply a broad generalization on a certain generation fan. I mean, judging by this thread, no one even used it at all, except for (rightfully) using them as an argument against another has no basis on. This is noticeable on Smash where Pokemon trends tend to come late to its fans who aren't aware on Pokemon stuff.

In any case this is Smash, so yeah, let's just skip it.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't see Mach Rider happening. They'd basically have to completely reinvent him since he doesn't have anything particularly interesting about his character and he doesn't do anything off his bike. I imagine he'd pretty much be a fast guy who punches and kicks, which... is basically Captain Falcon. He doesn't have a neat gimmick like Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, or Pit.

As far as popularity goes, I imagine most of us would barely have heard of him if it wasn't for his cool trophy in Melee.

Unless he's on his bike all the time, in which case forget everything I've said, because that would be awesome. He could do MX tricks for his aerials!

PK Gaming

I don't think he has a chance of making it in either tbh

The roster is entirely based on Sakurai's discretion. I don't think he cares about decisions that make "sense" or characters that "deserve to be in." He clearly chooses his favorites, with some light input from fans.

This is why I don't think Little Mac has a chance of being playable, despite there being a huge fan following for him. Sakurai doesn't strike me as the type to like him (in fact his trophy description and appearance in brawl is somewhat condescending)

Well they could turn the Machine guns he has in his Bike into a two handed weapon Mach Rider could use and can shoot but can also be used for his Smash attack (As in swinging the weapon around)
But that's just me, I mean, they turned Pit's bow into Two blades, so why not a machine gun?

what

no one here said this wtf
persecution complexes are a hellova drug

Also mach rider could be a cool retro rep. Honestly surprised Nintendo never tried doing a Wii Ware or eShop revival for the game (or Ice Climbers for that matter). They'd both make pretty fun modern-day arcade titles if remixed and jazzed up a little.

I don't see Mach Rider happening. They'd basically have to completely reinvent him since he doesn't have anything particularly interesting about his character and he doesn't do anything off his bike. I imagine he'd pretty much be a fast guy who punches and kicks, which... is basically Captain Falcon. He doesn't have a neat gimmick like Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, or Pit.

As far as popularity goes, I imagine most of us would barely have heard of him if it wasn't for his cool trophy in Melee.

Unless he's on his bike all the time, in which case forget everything I've said, because that would be awesome. He could do MX tricks for his aerials!
Considering that we got Ice Climbers and Captain Falcon, reinventing characters is not a new thing. Most any characters can be made into interesting choices.

I'd imagine that with a Down B or a Final Smash, Mach Rider could use his bike for all sorts of tricks. Would keep the nature of the game while still working out fine.
PK Gaming said:
The roster is entirely based on Sakurai's discretion. I don't think he cares about decisions that make "sense" or characters that "deserve to be in." He clearly chooses his favorites, with some light input from fans.

This is why I don't think Little Mac has a chance of being playable, despite there being a huge fan following for him. Sakurai doesn't strike me as the type to like him (in fact his trophy description and appearance in brawl is somewhat condescending)
Pit got in due to demand from America and Japan.

There's also this. He mentions this:

"there's a degree of balance to getting it right. The popularity of the character is important, for instance, as is the consideration of whether the character has a unique ability that only he, she or it can bring to the game."
So yes, he does take popularity seriously.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If that was the case Excite Biker is more likely.
  1. They've brought him back a bunch i.e. visualizer in the music app on both DSi and 3DS and the first 3D Classic title.
  2. He would have a gimmick based around knocking him off his bike and having his run to it.
  3. He's far more recognisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom