• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too weak Hadoken.. That's why he wouldn't be playable character in SSB4.

I'm kidding. -run away-

EhOcdMy.gif

CorvoSol

I hate how the Pokemon discussion is dominated by "cool" looking humanoid Pokemon. Mewtwo, Lucario, Zoroark, Newtwo...

MEH to all of them. I want Pokemon that are cute and fun like Pikachu. I know pretty much nothing about Scrafty, for instance, but he's about a million times more interesting that any of the above just based on the way he looks.

But I know they're probably gonna go with Newtwo. :/

I think Smash does a good job of balancing that out, though. I mean, Pokemon Reps are Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard and Lucario. That's only one "cool" one. Two if you count Charizard.

Honestly I kinda want Darmanitan. Zen mode would be a fun attack to use sometimes.

DaBoss

There's no such thing as a "slot." Pokémon Trainer is three characters -- consolidating them to one character select space doesn't magically save time or disc space.

I don't mean it in either way you say it. It just seems they are limiting the Pokemon series to have 4 "characters" (on the character select screen).

By having a "Pokemon Trainer" they managed to give a way so more Pokemon represent the Pokemon series in Brawl.

Well, no, it's probably not from the Flash itself...

Either way, looks like Christopher Robin is punishing the non-believer Winnie the Pooh.

fisheyes

I don't mean it in either way you say it. It just seems they are limiting the Pokemon series to have 4 "characters" (on the character select screen).

By having a "Pokemon Trainer" they managed to give a way so more Pokemon represent the Pokemon series in Brawl.

I don't think they care, nor should they. If Mewtwo had gotten in there would've been 5, if Plusle and Minun made it then there would've been 6. So they clearly weren't too worried.

No characters from Brawl should be removed at this point - we've seen the backlash that occurs even when nobody likes the character anyway (remember how everyone hated Mewtwo in Melee? Even though something like 3 starfox characters is an absolute waste, I wouldn't be removing any now). Pokemon needs to retain at least Pikachu, Jiggles, Trainer and Lucario. Mewtwo returning as himself or newtwo or both makes sense. So thats 5 already. Might as well chuck in 6 if they really feel like it. Go with Vaniluxe. The 'new Pokemon are shit' people would love it.

DaBoss

I don't think they care, nor should they. If Mewtwo had gotten in there would've been 5, if Plusle and Minun made it then there would've been 6. So they clearly weren't too worried.

No characters from Brawl should be removed at this point - we've seen the backlash that occurs even when nobody likes the character anyway (remember how everyone hated Mewtwo in Melee? Even though something like 3 starfox characters is an absolute waste, I wouldn't be removing any now). Pokemon needs to retain at least Pikachu, Jiggles, Trainer and Lucario. Mewtwo returning as himself or newtwo or both makes sense. So thats 5 already. Might as well chuck in 6 if they really feel like it. Go with Vaniluxe. The 'new Pokemon are shit' people would love it.

Oh yea, you're right. That keeps slipping my mind.

PK Gaming

Zoroark would be cool as a Generation 5 rep in Smash Bros., and probably the most obvious choice, but the main thing against him being a playable character I think is his Ability. Illusion is a huge part of Zoroark's character, and it's really what defines it and sets it apart from other Pokémon, but I fail to see how they would be able to incorporate that Ability in Smash Bros. in a way that works. And without Illusion, is it even worth it? I don't think so.

Illusion could work like this:
  • By pressing down-B, Zoroark transforms into a random character (on the field)
  • Zoroark still keeps its moveset (and hitbox) but looks like the enemy.
  • For example, if you transformed into Mario, if pressed A, it would punch like Mario, but the range and effect would be like Zoroark's. You could deceive people because you'd be used to reacting to a characters moves in a certain way, and Zoroark could mess that up
  • Effect wears off after taking damage
  • Can't use b-moves (save for-down b) while transformed
  • Possible damage penalty for using it?

I wouldn't want them to put Zoroark into smash if they couldn't implement Illusion.

Tyeforce

Illusion could work like this:
  • By pressing down-B, Zoroark transforms into a random character (on the field)
  • Zoroark still keeps its moveset (and hitbox) but looks like the enemy.
  • For example, if you transformed into Mario, if pressed A, it would punch like Mario, but the range and effect would be like Zoroark's. You could deceive people because you'd be used to reacting to a characters moves in a certain way, and Zoroark could mess that up
  • Effect wears off after taking damage
  • Can't use b-moves (save for-down b) while transformed
  • Possible damage penalty for using it?

I wouldn't want them to put Zoroark into smash if they couldn't implement Illusion.
The problem is, if you're playing as Zoroark, how would YOU be able to tell who you are?! It would be very easy, if your character looked exactly like the opponent, the get your character mixed up. And if there was a visual giveaway to help you tell them apart...well, that kind of defeats the purpose then, doesn't it?

I think the N idea would resolve that. Zoroark could be used in one of N's special moves, but in that case they wouldn't necessarily have to use Illusion. Maybe he could just use Night Daze or something to attack.

Still, Mewtwo/Newtwo for the next Smash Bros. all the way.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still want Genesect in, that's become my obsessive character choice for Smash Brothers 4.

PK Gaming

The problem is, if you're playing as Zoroark, how would YOU be able to tell who you are?! It would be very easy, if your character looked exactly like the opponent, the get your character mixed up. And if there was a visual giveaway to help you tell them apart...well, that kind of defeats the purpose then, doesn't it?

I think the N idea would resolve that. Zoroark could be used in one of N's special moves, but in that case they wouldn't necessarily have to use Illusion. Maybe he could just use Night Daze or something to attack.

Still, Mewtwo/Newtwo for the next Smash Bros. all the way.

one could argue that the 2 indistinguishable fighters only adds to illusions appeal :p

I think that if Zoroark gets in he should simply use his power to play like a Mesmer from GW2.

Make clones of himself that do lil-if-any damage but make it hard to hit the real him.

Let me bring up another example of a character design I really hope they don't use.

Ike_DLC_Kakusei_Artwork.png

This... thing.

Though maybe it's just the terrible artwork that hurts it for me, but I really hope that if Ike gets back in they don't use this awful design.

Jeez what an awful drawing. That's something I'd be embarrassed to turn in. Perspective, how does it work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know that one artist's inability to draw well will have no affect on what Ike looks like in game. They go through this complex process called making 3D models that don't suffer from dodgy perspectives. Also he'll have to match the art style of the rest of the game.

You know that one artist's inability to draw well will have no affect on what Ike looks like in game. They go through this complex process called making 3D models that don't suffer from dodgy perspectives. Also he'll have to match the art style of the rest of the game.

It's still an ugly design that says nothing about his character.

Radiant Dawn Ike is Ike's best look.

CorvoSol

I still like Robo-Ike. I see what people're saying about it, but I like it. Still, doesn't look a lot like Ike. Isn't he supposed to be ridiculously buff like Hector?

Aren't those alternative FE designs limited by the default class design styles in Awakening or something due to how the DLC characters are done? hence why Ike's attire isn't at all like any of his previous.

It needs to be either Koromaru from Persona 3 (because screw logic, that's why) or Haken from Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier because his moveset is an awesome fit for Smash and his game was developed by Monolith Soft, which gives him some extra footholds.

SmithnCo

Let me bring up another example of a character design I really hope they don't use.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/b/b4/Ike_DLC_Kakusei_Artwork.png[img]

This... thing.

Though maybe it's just the terrible artwork that hurts it for me, but I really hope that if Ike gets back in they don't use this awful design.

Jeez what an awful drawing. That's something I'd be embarrassed to turn in. Perspective, how does it work.[/QUOTE]

I also like how thin his damn arm must be for it to be that small with clothing/armor on.

Maybe he could be a ROB clone.

J-Tier

This is how I feel. Glad to know I'm not alone. Though I may change my mind with SMT X FE and how well it goes together, but I doubt it will be out long before SSB4.

I am in this boat too.

I almost forgot SMT X FE was happening, so having a rep from Atlus may be relevant, but I'm not the biggest fan of having too many third party characters--just the essentials is enough. That being major players during the NES, SNES, and 64 era.

DaBoss

I am in this boat too.

I almost forgot SMT X FE was happening, so having a rep from Atlus may be relevant, but I'm not the biggest fan of having too many third party characters--just the essentials is enough. That being major players during the NES, SNES, and 64 era.

Yup, and after seeing that shitty Megaman reboot they tried to do, I hope Capcom has some sense to try and get Megaman into SSB4. It fits well with many characters, and would be crazy to announce it at E3 since it is Megaman's 25th anniversary.

Yup, and after seeing that shitty Megaman reboot they tried to do, I hope Capcom has some sense to try and get Megaman into SSB4. It fits well with many characters, and would be crazy to announce it at E3 since it is Megaman's 25th anniversary.
26th, actually.

serplux

We must have Mike Jones back in order to raise up some hope of a future StarTropics entry. He must be back. I cannot allow another generation without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom