• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The star KO is just a general Japanese thing.

tumblr_m8hurr8jpv1rduxd9o1_r2_500.png

Snakey

I think FE getting four slots would make everyone happy.

Marth
Roy
Ike
Anna

The first three are the most popular FE characters overall (Roy is the most wanted FE character for Smash 4 that was not playable in Brawl), while the last one satisfies the "we want a female/non-sword-user/FE13 character" crowd.

Lucario is basically a Dragon Ball Z character. Dat Kamehameha, dat Zenkai boost...dat "WATCH THE POWER OF AURA!"

And not specifically anime-inspired but speaking of nice touches, I love how the sweet spot moves "suspend" both characters for half a second or so. That never gets old.

I think FE getting four slots would make everyone happy.

Marth
Roy
Ike
Anna

The first three are the most popular FE characters overall (Roy is the most wanted FE character for Smash 4 that was not playable in Brawl), while the last one satisfies the "we want a female/non-sword-user/FE13 character" crowd.

I still think there's absolutely no way Ike will get in over Chrom, but Anna would indeed be fucking awesome. Those merchant puns are just asking to be tauntified.

"I make deep cuts!"

Snakey

Lucario is basically a Dragon Ball Z character. Dat Kamehameha, dat Zenkai boost...dat "WATCH THE POWER OF AURA!"

And not specifically anime-inspired but speaking of nice touches, I love how the sweet spot moves "suspend" both characters for half a second or so. That never gets old.

I still think there's absolutely no way Ike will get in over Chrom, but Anna would indeed be fucking awesome. Those merchant puns are just asking to be tauntified.

"I make deep cuts!"

Sean Schemmel, the voice actor for Goku, also voiced Lucario in the North American verison of Brawl.

As to Chrom, Anna on my list represents FE13 (you can also have FE13 Marth as a wink about Lucina, as well as Roy in his FE13 outfit as well). Chrom is pretty much an Ike MKII, so I don't think he would be an interesting newcomer.

Snakey

I made a mistake Sean Schemmel only voiced Lucario in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, while Bill Rogers voiced Lucario in Brawl.

qq more

they should just cut out the entire roster and start anew

starting with "playstation all stars battle royale hyper deluxe whatever the fuck this stupid long convluted name is" characters!

I dont get why you shit over PS All Stars.

Your precious Melee has "great" characters such as Dr. Mario aka Doctor version of Mario, Pichu aka weaker version of Pikachu and Young Link who is just freaking Link younger.

Dont you dare to act that SSB has that good character list after those disasters :s
Not to mention all the (old) clones.

...Really? Young Link? That shit is way worse than Good Cole and Evil Cole >_>

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pretty sure I've heard multiple lists of characters that were supposedly meant to be in the first and Melee. You start to question if any of them are trye,

Also Did You Know DYKG steals content off GAF?

That man's voice is kinda grating.

Also, Yuji Naka didn't create Sonic, Naoto Ohshima did. Naka was instrumental in designing the game itself and programming it, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Except for all the voices which the anime set the standard for. And probably some character selection.

I agree though.

Well, Pokemon anime is the only source for the voices during 64, might as well roll with it. I honestly believe Pokemon talk is terrible and prefer animal grunts that last-stage evolutions tend to growl.

Also I disagree - Jiggs is pretty popular even before the anime for instance. I mean, that's why it's picked to make appearance the anime in the first place.

Okay guys, I'll take a compromise.

Megaman can be playable if Sakurai finds a way to get Can't Defeat Airman into the game.

Can't Defeat Airman

Can't Defeat Air Man - Rockman Holic

Can't Defeat Airman - Kiwikenobi

Just steal one of those (preferably the Holic version, oh my god) or make a new one, I don't care! (and yes I know it's a fan thing so there's pretty much no chance, but if Capcom can release a fan-game under their name I'm sure they (and all parties involved) could suggest the Smash team use a fan-song. I mean, Brawl already had songs from a Pikmin commercial so the slippery slope has already been, uh...

...sloped.

Your precious Melee has "great" characters such as Dr. Mario aka Doctor version of Mario, Pichu aka weaker version of Pikachu and Young Link who is just freaking Link younger.

Dont you dare to act that SSB has that good character list after those disasters :s

Because it was filled with characters and VERSIONS of characters nobody asked for. It also had a weird physics system that seemed to want to copy Smash, but because of the lack of a health bar, it just seemed awkward.

qq more

I was joking man. I'm actually interested in playing that game.

But you have to admit the name of the title is really damn awful.

I was joking man. I'm actually interested in playing that game.

But you have to admit the name of the title is really damn awful.

I kinda like it in its over the top - tone. But those who dont.... yeaaaaaaaah I can see why some people wouldnt like it. It is too long.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I kinda like it in its over the top - tone. But those who dont.... yeaaaaaaaah I can see why some people wouldnt like it. It is too long.

Gameplay is semi-okay and recent patch was not great. It's brainless fun and addicting but once you moved on. It's gone and I don't even really miss the game. I missed the community in neogaf tho, so that's why I lurked there sometime.

SmithnCo

Gameplay is semi-okay and recent patch was not great. It's brainless fun and addicting but once you moved on. It's gone and I don't even really miss the game. I missed the community in neogaf tho, so that's why I lurked there sometime.

And even the community is pretty much dead, lol. The game didn't have the feature-set or built-in community like Smash to keep it going. Was a bit of fun in the meantime though, really the most fun was the speculation.

So what do you guys think of Zoroark - Mewtwo - Lucario dilmena now? Do you think Zoroark is as good as gone?

At this point I think Zoroark's chances are done for.

Shorts

Neo Member
At this point I think Zoroark's chances are done for.

Prior to Gen VI announcement I was CONFIDENT in his inclusion, and even after I was still pretty sure. But once Mewtwo was revealed to be in the Genesect movie, I was a lot less confident. Now that he has a Gen VI form as well.. I feel like Zoroark is pretty much in the same shoes as a Gen III rep was during Brawl's development.

RawkHawk2010 said:
This came up in a conversation the other day: How fucking awesome would it be if Sakurai, Iwata, Miyamoto, and Reggie were all playable characters?

Would anyone be opposed to that? (No, probably not.)
This is why they should have Mii's in the next game.
DaBoss said:
Seriously though, will they keep Megaman 2D or would it be a 3D model for SSB4? Which looks better with a 3D model? Also, when it says what the last game it was on, what game will it say? XOver? looooooool
I think that Mega Man will be a 3-D model if he were to get in.

Also, assuming no Mega Man games are announced, between now and Smash 4's release, Mega Man would use Mega Man 10 as its latest release.
ScraftyDevil said:
So according to NoA's official Facebook popularity poll of Fire Emblem characters, Lucina is almost three times more popular than Chrom. What do you guys think this means about the next game's potential FE rep? (Apologies if this is old news.)
I doubt it means anything. Chrom is still the 2nd most wanted Fire Emblem character (next to Roy) for Smash 4. Lucina and everyone else from Fire Emblem falls considerably behind.
Boss Doggie said:
If Victini isn't a playable Pokemon I wish it's a Pokeball Pokemon... that instantly kills everyone else save for the player that catches it, ensuring victory!
I would love this. The one time when automatic victory based on one item would be good.
Shorts said:
So what do you guys think of Zoroark - Mewtwo - Lucario dilmena now? Do you think Zoroark is as good as gone?
Pretty much. I really do think that it's going to be Brawl Pokémons + Mewtwo at this point and would be surprised to see otherwise.

Used to HATE Zoroark for the longest time, but now would be neutral to his inclusion. My "hatred" for Zoroark lead me to do some pretty embarrassing things as well.

Chrom

The Fire Emblem poll treated Lucina as her masked identity and not her true self. Just saying.

Hey NeoGAF, I'm a user over at SWF, and I've been trying to get in contact with as many SSB4 communities as I can. I've hit up reddit, SWF (of course), Nsider2 (Prior to their SSB section closing) and now I'm here for you guys.

I know this is a really late reply, but I'm just noticing this and feel the need to correct you on a really trivial matter.

You didn't hit up NSider2 with this poll prior to the Smash board closing. It had been closed for many months before you did so.

Roy the Koopaling or Roy Campbell, lol wut
following that logic I'm going to theorise that 'Dr. Mario' could have in fact been Mario Dewar Barett in a doctor's outfit and 'Dixie' a reference to all three Dixie Chicks band members being playable at once

fuck Occam's razor

Boss Doggie

Why are people fixated on the idea that Zoroark should represent V?

See, unlike PSA Melee has a compromise. You have shitty clones but at the same time you have new characters added who are also memorable. And should said "clones" appear in Brawl, they had been fixed.

Evil Cole still had his own unique moveset though. That's more than Falco, Ganondorf, Roy, Young Link, Pichu or fucking Dr. Mario could account for in Melee.

It looks bad more because it was the debut game for what is/was-before-it-bombed going to be a major new series for Sony and it's a bad look for a game already tight on franchise reps. Having several spots go to playable advertisements and Infamous getting two characters over several much bigger series rubbed a lot of people the wrong way moreso than the context of Melee being an 11-month rushjob with a few blatantly last minute bonus additions to compensate for the lack for more original additions like Dedede.

Shorts

Neo Member
Well besides Zoroark, I know people like the idea of Victini and Genesect, but Zoroark is the "go to" V Gen. For whatever reason.

I was thinking Sakurai would try to "revive" Mewtwo by incorporating his new form into Smash somehow.

Also, my buddy wanted me to throw this over to you guys. Just a simple FE Lord poll. All you gotta do is pick your favorite lords and click vote.

Lucario -In my eyes he's as good as gone ... I think they're gonna move pass gen 4 and unto 5+6 or just 6.

Mewtwo -CAME BACK FROM THE GRAVE in the Pokemon world so I'm sure he/ she will be in in either this new form or both.

Zoroark -Ehh, IDK.

PS. Been playing GW2 and I REALLY think Zoroark could make a great character if it played like a Mesmer! Lucario somehow got this ability of his pulled out of Sakurai's ass so why not?

Boss Doggie

Lucario's concept is pretty archetypal actually.

Well besides Zoroark, I know people like the idea of Victini and Genesect, but Zoroark is the "go to" V Gen. For whatever reason.

I was thinking Sakurai would try to "revive" Mewtwo by incorporating his new form into Smash somehow.

Erm no it isn't. Oshawott has more credibility than Zoroark :p

Because PABR doesn't have any memorable characters at all.

I was talking more about something like Zelda/Shiek and the like. :p

And I agree memorable is terrible word. More of... easily identifiable? Half of the cast are in the same era and some are "advertised". Hell, only a few are in PS1 era.

Snakey

Lucario -In my eyes he's as good as gone ... I think they're gonna move pass gen 4 and unto 5+6 or just 6.

There is a Lucario figurine packed with Pokemon Rumble Wii U, and Lucario was promoted for the new Mewtwo forme unveil (a guy in a Lucario costume throwing aura spheres at the camera). Lucario obviously still gets promoted. If Lucario does get cut, it will probably be due to time constraints than anything else. Right now I would say he is safer than Ike though, since there is no character that could outright replace what he does.

Shorts

Neo Member
Falco, Roy, and Ganondorf were extremely popular character choices though.
I didn't mean to imply they weren't (though I guess it's debatable where Roy's popularity came from since Melee came before his own Japanese-only game), just that Melee had way more clones than PSASBR did, which gameplay-wise doesn't even really have any in the same way Smash does.

Meowth should've been in this game since Smash 64 actually. I don't know why I always forgot about him..

Always wondered why he was never a character.
Wouldn't surprise me if it came down to either him or Jigglypuff during the development of the original Smash. By Melee and Brawl he was probably considered too irrelevant despite the tv show to be playable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom