• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's brain is a worm?

Pretty much. I mean, hey, it's not like GameFreak pioneered the concept or anything:

ng5UOJe.jpg

Pretty much.

1. What on earth is with it's hands and feet? It has like toes for feet and it's fingers are incapable of grasping anything now. It looks like someone made some dwarfed version of Mewtwo with play-doh.

2. Why on earth is that band on it's head? It looks ridiculous, and even weirder that it connects to it's horn ears. The designers at gamefreak just put stuff on just to put stuff on now (aka Moevee). I'll tell you why they put that headband on, though, to hide how ugly it's head is if it didn't have it.

3. What is the point of the chest spikes? It's like Gardevoir x2, except less colorful and no sense. What is he going to stab them with his stomach? "UGH! UGH! Take this! UGH!"

4. Why on earth is it's tail on it's head?

5. The existence of this thing is so idiotic that it makes absolute zero sense to any possible storyline they could concoct. From 5 whole Generations of a standard Mewtwo, with 2 Mewtwo movies and everything being explained about it without any plotholes, they are adding a new form just to say they added a new form.

Simply put: It looks dumb, the idea behind it is dumb, and whoever thought this was great is getting their just desserts from all the people who hate it.
I'm gonna try to not make this a big deal so sorry for the shortness ...

1. It's hand's don't look like they can grab things? Neither does Mewtwo's ball fingers ... and neither of them have functional feet.

2. I believe Newtwo to be part w/e new type (Magic/ Life/ Fairy?) they have in store for us and I think that's where the horn comes from. But until then I can't really explain.

3. That's it's sternum and umbilical cord from the looks of it. Mewtwo IS a mutant cat fetus with a popped out rib cage and a "tail" that's merged with it's stomach so these features keep that theme.

4. Google braintail. His "second neck" becomes a braintail likely because he doesn't need extra power pumped to his brain but needs more room to put his brain.

5. Pokemon X and Y are clearly about genes, Mewtwo is the first man made Pokemon, coming from genetic-engineering so they're making him the poster boy.

I think it looks like a great "maturing" of Mewtwo if you think of it with the knowledge that Mewtwo IS a mutant cat fetus with a ton of strange design choices that make sense for a mutant cat fetus.
I mean, I love Mewtwo. He is in my top 5 Pokemon designs and anime wise he (or she now?) is my favorite Pokemon ... but I know that it has a pretty nasty design.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm gonna try to not make this a big deal so sorry for the shortness ...

1. It's hand's don't look like they can grab things? Neither does Mewtwo's ball fingers ... and neither of them have functional feet.

2. I believe Newtwo to be part w/e new type (Magic/ Life/ Fairy?) they have in store for us and I think that's where the horn comes from. But until then I can't really explain.

3. That's it's sternum and umbilical cord from the looks of it. Mewtwo IS a mutant cat fetus with a popped out rib cage and a "tail" that's merged with it's stomach so these features keep that theme.

4. Google braintail. His "second neck" becomes a braintail likely because he doesn't need extra power pumped to his brain but needs more room to put his brain.

5. Pokemon X and Y are clearly about genes, Mewtwo is the first man made Pokemon, coming from genetic-engineering so they're making him the poster boy.

I think it looks like a great "maturing" of Mewtwo if you think of it with the knowledge that Mewtwo IS a mutant cat fetus with a ton of strange design choices that make sense for a mutant cat fetus.
I mean, I love Mewtwo. He is in my top 5 Pokemon designs and anime wise he (or she now?) is my favorite Pokemon ... but I know that it has a pretty nasty design.

1. Take another look at the hands and make a comparison.

He clearly has knuckles, and there are ridges instead of a blunt round shape. He is capable of grasping things fine.

5. In my honest opinion this doesn't look like it's maturing, it looks like it's becoming more soft and smooth and less intimidating in appearance and strength. There are two things I'd like to point out however. 1. This is Gen VI, there are 5 gens already out there and two movies explaining explaining everything there is about Mewtwo, and he is a man made creation already and was never designed around this. Because Pokemon X and Y may be about X and Y DNA, doesn't mean it's okay to alter anything just because the title is that. 2. Wasn't Deoxys the DNA Pokemon? Why does Mewtwo need a new form when that is covered already? I mean Mewtwo was already fine the way he was, and they created Deoxys. If anything they should have just given Deoxys a new form, at least that would make a bit more sense.

1. Take another look at the hands and make a comparison.

He clearly has knuckles, and there are ridges instead of a blunt round shape. He is capable of grasping things fine.
He has balls at the end of his fingers. Compare it to your hand ...
Basically he has no finger tips. And Newtwo has full fingers by Pokemon logic.

I don't think either one can "grab" better than the other really, but the design of Newtwo's hands full more like "Pokemon hands" than w/e is going on wit Mewtwo's deformed fingers.

5. In my honest opinion this doesn't look like it's maturing, it looks like it's becoming more soft and smooth and less intimidating in appearance and strength. There are two things I'd like to point out however. 1. This is Gen VI, there are 5 gens already out there and two movies explaining explaining everything there is about Mewtwo, and he is a man made creation already and was never designed around this. Because Pokemon X and Y may be about X and Y DNA, doesn't mean it's okay to alter anything just because the title is that. 2. Wasn't Deoxys the DNA Pokemon? Why does Mewtwo need a new form when that is covered already? I mean Mewtwo was already fine the way he was, and they created Deoxys. If anything they should have just given Deoxys a new form, at least that would make a bit more sense.

Down the train ...
- Like I said, I think Newtwo is part of w/e new type they seem to be making that's more feminine in nature looking at the new Eevee. If it's part Magic/ Nature/ Life/ Dream/ Fairy or what-have-you then it makes sense to be smoother and more feminine (would also explain why Mewtwo now has a female voice) as well as less "deformed".

-Apparently they didn't explain all that needed explaining. I watch both movies and never got the feeling it's story had come to a close. Mewtwo is going to have some kinda awakening in this new movie so I think it best to not prejudge it.

-They aren't "altering" anything, they're adding to stuff. You don't have to use Mewtwo's new form in the games. This merely makes Mewtwo relevant again ... which should be a god-send for people who want him in Smash.

-Deoxy is a space virus ...
"The DNA of a space virus underwent a sudden mutation upon exposure to a laser beam and resulted in Deoxys./ A Pokémon that mutated from an extraterrestrial virus exposed to a laser beam. Its body is configured for superior agility and speed." The plots and themes of the new games may very well have more to do with genetics and genetic engineering than "space virus DnA".

And again, they're not changing anything, just adding to a Pokemon that hasn't been relevant in a decade but holds the hearts of many who played the RBY games. This is a godsend to those of us who WANT Mewtwo in Smash and I embrace it with open arms.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd say the knuckles are there, just not present. And Mewtwo doesn't seem to hold stuff anyway. With that said the anime shot of it has the fingers and toes "flattened" so it doesn't look sausage-y.

And the new form isn't meant to be intimidating. In fact they made a whole interview about it. They said this Mewtwo has changed from the "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR" attitude into something of a "motherly" figure.

qq more

In fact they made a whole interview about it. They said this Mewtwo has changed from the "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR" attitude into something of a "motherly" figure.

I haven't been following the movies but say what????

Do you have a link to the interview? I kind of want to see it.

Boss Doggie

I haven't been following the movies but say what????

Do you have a link to the interview? I kind of want to see it.

No official translation so far but

Synopsis
Interview

They're also being vague on whether this is the same Mewtwo or not but they're pushing the idea that it's changed to be less violent.

The movie summary says it wants to take care of Genesect because it knows its plight.

Boss Doggie

On a related I really want Genesect to be in this game to utilize the Driver-based gameplay, and I followed up Watch Da Birdie's moveset by altering a bit. I think of the character more as someone whose bulk of the special moves alter the Drive, therefore adjusting Genesect's attacks.

All of his B attacks are all Techno Blasts but with changing Drives. Neutral B is Burn Drive TB which is a chargeable projectile that explodes on impact. Up B is Douse Drive TB which involves Genesect being enveloped with water before being blasting the water upwards. Down B is Chill Drive TB which it fires diagonally downward, summoning an exploding ice spike. And Side B is Shock Drive TB which fires a trail of electricity that stuns enemies.

With each Drive change some of Genesect's normal attacks are altered, like maybe his forward smash being faster, slower, stronger, etc. With that said this leaves Drive-less Genesect to be scrapped.

KevinCow

Banned
As a reference to Uprising, if Pit stays alive on the same stock for 5 minutes, he should lose his wings. So no extra jumps, no glide, no up B.

SmithnCo

It's possible, and don't use smash ball if you don't want to be latter form.

Not ideal for Mewtwo purists, but yeah, you could just not transform. Like I said, I'd take it if it means Mewtwo is coming back at all. Plus, the new form could be fun.

I hope you can change at will so you don't have to rely on a smash ball though, but I don't know how it changes in the game.

PK Gaming

As a reference to Uprising, if Pit stays alive on the same stock for 5 minutes, he should lose his wings. So no extra jumps, no glide, no up B.

To compensate, his moveset should be comprised of the various weapons & powers he uses in Uprising.

What would you guys want for a Mother/Earthbound stage this time around? I figure it'll be something from Earthbound rather than Mother 3, 'cuz while Brawl focused more on the most recent relevant release, Mother 2/Earthbound is now safely in the spotlight again with the Mother Revival Festival or whatever.

For once I'd like something that can actually capture the quirky charm of the series, because I don't think any Mother stage to date has done a very good job at that. And for good reason - it's hard! Saturn Valley is quirky and probably the most iconic location in the series, but some of the series' more serious tones (like music) might not be compatible with it. Threed would make an awesome stage too, but like Saturn Valley, its theme limits what it can represent.

So, I kept thinking...what about Summers?

You'd Smash on the beach, with the road and the buildings like the hospital and Club Stoic visible in the background. Not only would you see cars like the Runaway Five van and Mad Taxis zoom across the background every so often, but you'd also see familiar characters walking down the sidewalk (with the unlikable ones like Porky's dad being chased by Crazed Signs.) And the stage hazard would include the Kracken washing up on the beach to kick everyone's ass.

J20evti.jpg

It would also pretty much guarantee a kickin' Summers remix. (You can't say no to that!)

I agree with everything you said in this post.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, Pit's B moves could be various weapon types and his normal attacks will reflect on the last weapon he used.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That may be awesome idea but no way that sakurai would add that. Also I don't want that feature cost me my perfect game.

qq more

What would you guys want for a Mother/Earthbound stage this time around? I figure it'll be something from Earthbound rather than Mother 3, 'cuz while Brawl focused more on the most recent relevant release, Mother 2/Earthbound is now safely in the spotlight again with the Mother Revival Festival or whatever.

For once I'd like something that can actually capture the quirky charm of the series, because I don't think any Mother stage to date has done a very good job at that. And for good reason - it's hard! Saturn Valley is quirky and probably the most iconic location in the series, but some of the series' more serious tones (like music) might not be compatible with it. Threed would make an awesome stage too, but like Saturn Valley, its theme limits what it can represent.

So, I kept thinking...what about Summers?

You'd Smash on the beach, with the road and the buildings like the hospital and Club Stoic visible in the background. Not only would you see cars like the Runaway Five van and Mad Taxis zoom across the background every so often, but you'd also see familiar characters walking down the sidewalk (with the unlikable ones like Porky's dad being chased by Crazed Signs.) And the stage hazard would include the Kracken washing up on the beach to kick everyone's ass.

J20evti.jpg

It would also pretty much guarantee a kickin' Summers remix. (You can't say no to that!)

Never actually read this until now but that would be AWESOME

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As long as the beach isn't flat and a walk off. Parasols could work as natural (by that I mean platforms that look part of the stage rather than a floating island) platforms which could also open up and close from time to time.

Except for those of us who want this and not this.

It can STILL be a godsend. It's a Pokemon form and we have no reference for how a Pokemon Transformation would be handled in Smash.

Sakurai could simply decide to pull a Samus and make Reg Mewtwo Heavier and have X
play style where as the Newtwo form has Y play style and is faster+Lighter.

But at the end of the day I simply don't think beggers can be choosers. If you want Mewtwo in Smash then I think it best to embrace the life line GF is giving you and hope Sakurai likes Reg Mewtwo enough to bring them both into the fray if you haven't fallen in love with it's design yet..

Their proportions are too different to be costumes of one another. It's like a less extreme example of making Toon Link a costume of regular Link. It wouldn't work. Never mind that their tails erupt out of completely different sections of their bodies--even if they completely changed Mewtwo's moveset to not use its tail, it still has to be reanimated for neutral standing, moving, dodging, etc. (provided you don't want it to stick out stiff as a board), which kind of defeats the entire purpose of alt skins.

SmithnCo

Yeah, costumes would have to be able to use the same hitbox/animations, and it seems perfectly set-up for a transform character.

I dunno what they'd use for an alt besides his armor from the anime, unless they make something else up.

DaBoss

There should be a Small Link with the OoT 3D style, Toon Link style, and ALTTP2 Link style. I would rather have it be legitimate skins as in not just a palette swap, but rather change the look of the clothing itself too to match that of those "Links".

I can't believe I'm going to argue with Black-Wind but:

Mewtwo doesn't need finger tips to grab things, genius.

... Let me get this straight, you over look his argument about hands (which I was replying to) just to insult me?

Which is funny because that's been my point through out all of this. Mewtwo doesn't need functional hands and feet, which is why he has ... deformed hands and feet.

EDIT: And that's not an "argument", that's just an unprovoked insult that takes a part of my response to someone else out of context. :/

CorvoSol

I'll tolerate Newtwo if I can down B back to Mewtwo, or if it is a smashball form or something.

Mostly I only care that Pokemon Trainer and his Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard team stays.

qq more

... Let me get this straight, you over look his argument about hands (which I was replying to) just to insult me?

Which is funny because that's been my point through out all of this. Mewtwo doesn't need functional hands and feet, which is why he has ... deformed hands and feet.

EDIT: And that's not an "argument", that's just an unprovoked insult that takes a part of my response to someone else out of context. :/
Out of context... This is pretty funny coming from someone who did the same thing to me about Krystal. I apologize for the insult though, that was a bit out of line.

Out of context... This is pretty funny coming from someone who did the same thing to me about Krystal.

Provide a citation as proof and I will apologize if you like?

I truly don't remember.

Edit: Either way, if you wanna start a dialog about Mewtwo and Newtwo then I'm more than willing to jump in. It's the only reason I came back to this thread for the most part.

GamerSoul

At this point, I don't care which form of Mewtwo get in IF he returns. Either way his moveset should be revamped.

There should be a Small Link with the OoT 3D style, Toon Link style, and ALTTP2 Link style. I would rather have it be legitimate skins as in not just a palette swap, but rather change the look of the clothing itself too to match that of those "Links".

Too many Links, imo. It would water down the roster. The skins idea would be cool but would they spend that much time on Link since we're going to get two version again? He's nice and all but unless he gets a slight change in moveset it's going to be the same ol guy.

KevinCow

Banned
At this point, I don't care which form of Mewtwo get in IF he returns. Either way his moveset should be revamped.

Too many Links, imo. It would water down the roster. The skins idea would be cool but would they spend that much time on Link since we're going to get two version again? He's nice and all but unless he gets a slight change in moveset it's going to be the same ol guy.

I think he means as alternate costumes for Young/Toon Link, not entirely separate characters.

DaBoss

Yea, I mean as skins, not separate characters. Like I think Link should get an OoT3D, TP, and SS look as skins.

EDIT: Yea, what KevinCow said.

GamerSoul

Yea, I mean as skins, not separate characters. Like I think Link should get an OoT3D, TP, and SS look as skins.

EDIT: Yea, what KevinCow said.

Oh ok. I like the idea of skins but I still don't think they would do it, sadly. Maybe as some part of a DLC skin pack in the future. I'm sure people would like that option.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sure I've said this before, but you have to remember that characters need to be distinguishable from a distance and a glance. If you have three green Links jumping around it may lead to confusion.

DaBoss

I'm sure I've said this before, but you have to remember that characters need to be distinguishable from a distance and a glance. If you have three green Links jumping around it may lead to confusion.

Oh yea, that's true. Has anyone tried something like this with a modded Brawl?

My retort to this last time it came up was that Brawl has color-coded player markers for P1/P2/P3/P4 which makes which character you're playing as immediately obvious. I mean, Smash since the original game has let players in team matches play as identical looking versions of the same character with little to no issue; what would be the problem be with having different Link skins if SSB4 has a similar system to keep who's playing as who clear?

Yeah, costumes would have to be able to use the same hitbox/animations, and it seems perfectly set-up for a transform character.

I dunno what they'd use for an alt besides his armor from the anime, unless they make something else up.

Challenger Approaching
A new foe has appeared

Almost forgot how badass this was. Hopefully they'll include multiple outfits per character.

Boss Doggie

Nah, I love how the games and even Smash stay away from anime references for Pokemon. Let's keep it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom