• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

(though I guess it's debatable where Roy's popularity came from since Melee came before his own Japanese-only game),.

I don't think that's fair considering the Western fanbase did not known who Marth was either, yet he was well-received too.

Sakurai pretty much knew Roy was going to be well-received as a character despite his game not being out yet. He mentions this on Roy's update for the Japanese Dojo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm only talking from Smash point of view. I don't know what the general consensus is within' the Pokemon community is, but mostly ZoroTiniSect get the Gen V votes around Smashboards. Course there are other characters that are brought up but not as much as these three are/were.

Also, here's a poll another friend wanted me to throw your way. It's over Pokemon Trainer.

I was going for the Zoroark-is-Lucario's-replacement angle. It has been subverted and hell, inverted (Lucario took over Zoroark's presence!).

PK Gaming

I was going for the Zoroark-is-Lucario's-replacement angle. It has been subverted and hell, inverted (Lucario took over Zoroark's presence!).

regrettably

image.php

I need a miracle

Shorts

Neo Member
Eh, Zoroark is kinda eh to me, but then again I hate shrine foxes.

What GETS ME WRILED UP INSIDE is his illusion ability, and how it could be transferred into a Smash setting. He could pull a Shang Stung and LITERALLY BECOME a character until attacked, and the illusion is broken. Or some other way. Iunno I just think it's an interesting concept.

Boss Doggie

Dude, that's just a recycle of the true machine Pokemon.
082Magneton.png

(for the record, yes, I love Magnemite/Magneton)

The only Gen 5 Pokemon we need is Chandelure.
609Chandelure.png

Magneton sucks. All hail Magnezone.

magnezone_and_thunderbolts_by_smashbrawlr7538-d3h5l27.jpg

And nah, Klinklang pretty much embodies the machine Pokemon.

In PS All Stars thread we have the fun discussion of balancing.

Ive been wondering, how balanced are the Smash games? Sure Ive heard of Tier Ranks but how big differences are in tiers?

SmithnCo

In PS All Stars thread we have the fun discussion of balancing.

Ive been wondering, how balanced are the Smash games? Sure Ive heard of Tier Ranks but how big differences are in tiers?

In each game there are pretty OP characters but in regular play it doesn't matter that much. Meta Knight is good in Brawl but in most matches you can get around it. The tactics definitely don't get as annoying as the spam in PSASBR IMO.

In each game there are pretty OP characters but in regular play it doesn't matter that much. Meta Knight is good in Brawl but in most matches you can get around it. The tactics definitely don't get as annoying as the spam in PSASBR IMO.

fffffffffff

PS All Stars cant just win, eh? :/

....I wonder what characters they could add in Smash U. After Ridley, K.Rool, Mega Man & Pac Man, I dont think there are that many important characters to add.

Boss Doggie

fffffffffff

....I wonder what characters they could add in Smash U. After Ridley, K.Rool, Mega Man & Pac Man, I dont think there are that many important characters to add.

Dillon/Jiro

Even Ninty is pushing it damnit!

Agent J, Karate Joe and Shulk need to be in there to rep Nintendo's more niche franchises.

Hades and Scrafty are also acceptable as far as repping established franchises.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
fffffffffff

There are plenty characters that they can use. You gotta to look deep in the character rosters for interesting characters. I believe that they can handle that, HOPEFULLY!

Boss Doggie

I said important characters. eShop debuter is not one.

Jk. I want unimportant characters in PSAllstars aswell. :p

I SHALL SEND A PLATOON OF UNDEAD THRALLS AT YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!

but srs we need a cowboy. Wolf is too space cowboy :S

SmithnCo

fffffffffff

Palutena and Mewtwo/Newtwo seem obvious enough as well.

Personally I hope they add a S&P character and Animal Crossing character, even though they don't seem as likely.

Palutena and Mewtwo/Newtwo seem obvious enough as well.

Personally I hope they add a S&P character and Animal Crossing character, even though they don't seem as likely.

Wouldnt Mewtwo even with his new form count as returning character?

And now that I think more about this.... This games important characters are already there. So basically they can add just whatever they want for lulz. Hopefully they'll add good characters.

SmithnCo

Wouldnt Mewtwo even with his new form count as returning character?

Yeah, or at least half of a returning character. Hopefully they'd update its moveset a bit though.

They do have all the important beat hit already, so as long as they don't cut a lot, any new characters would be icing on the cake.

Yeah, or at least half of a returning character. Hopefully they'd update its moveset a bit though.

They do have all the important beat hit already, so as long as they don't cut a lot, any new characters would be icing on the cake.

I thought they announced that they arent going to add that many or if any for roster at all. 39 characters is max or sth. If that would be case new characters would mean some characters would have to go.

Aka Toon Link & Lucario. I dont see reasonings for them.

Shorts said:
Well besides Zoroark, I know people like the idea of Victini and Genesect, but Zoroark is the "go to" V Gen. For whatever reason.

I was thinking Sakurai would try to "revive" Mewtwo by incorporating his new form into Smash somehow.
As I stated before, I'm surprised that Victini wasn't the mascot of the 5th gen. Victini did kind of scream "mascot material" and I felt had they promoted it well enough, Victini would be much more popular than Zoroark and possibly remain a real contender for this game.
TMaakkonen said:
There's also Mewtwo and a case could be made for Little Mac and the Mii's (although the latter is very unlikely).

.There's also Mewtwo and a case could be made for Little Mac and the Mii's (although the latter is very unlikely).

I think some are over valuing Little Mac. Then again nostalgia can be omega-important factor.

Miis? Woops. Didnt thought of them. I could see them happening. Shaking the controller for Final Smash.
Haha

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think Ike is on the chopping block too, in favor of Chrom. I hate to say it because I like Ike's moveset a lot. If he's cut I hope Chrom is a suitable "heavy swordsman" replacement.

Chrom might absorb most of his moveset anyway according to the fans. (I haven't play the game yet)

There is a Lucario figurine packed with Pokemon Rumble Wii U, and Lucario was promoted for the new Mewtwo forme unveil (a guy in a Lucario costume throwing aura spheres at the camera). Lucario obviously still gets promoted. If Lucario does get cut, it will probably be due to time constraints than anything else. Right now I would say he is safer than Ike though, since there is no character that could outright replace what he does.

The Mewtwo reveal? Really? You're counting a character doing a transition on a wacky Japanese Pokemon show as something? o_O ...

Anyway, that's all small fries compared to what I can list off for Pichu ... but we can all agree that he's likely not coming back regardless and was appearantly gonna be replaced by the 3rd gen Pika rips.

As for replacing Lucario with a 5th or 6th gen mon I would say Victini is the best bet for a 5th genner (Masuda's favorite Pokemon + he succeeded in picking up the slack when Zoroark flopped. Also a packed in figurine not that I really think that matters). 6th genner I would see him just going with Newtwo and calling it aday. Or he could just go with Sylveon regardless of what happens with Mewtwo (ribbons could act like Ivy's whips before anyone questions how a quadruped could fight.).

And we're on the outskirts of a brand new gen ... GF is gonna give Sakurai that list of Pokemon they see as important to them currently and I doubt Lucario will be topping any 6th gen Pokemon they plan to push these games with.

Shorts

Neo Member
For anyone interested, my poll reached 1700 as of today ~

1. Megaman [Capcom] 930
2. Mewtwo [Pokemon] 811
3. Ridley [ Metroid] 624
4. Little Mac [Punch Out] 601
5. King K. Rool [Donkey Kong] 596
6. Waluigi [Super Mario] 501
7. Isaac [Golden Sun] 492
8. Roy [Fire Emblem] 444
9. Bowser Junior [Super Mario] 440
10. Ghirahim [Legend Of Zelda] 427
11. Palutena [Kid Icarus] 426
12. Krom [Fire Emblem] 390
13. Shulk [Xenoblade] 374
14. Pac - Man [Namco] 355
15. Krystal [StarFox] 347
16. Zoroark [Pokemon] 337
17. Geno [Square Enix] 317
18. Toad [Super Mario] 278
19. Takamaru [Murasame Castle] 242
20. Dixie Kong [Donkey Kong] 236
21. Samurai Goroh [F-Zero] 213
22. Saki [Sin & Punishment] 210
23. Bandana Dee [Kirby] 177
24. Black Shadow [F-Zero] 171
25. Mona [WarioWare] 163

Wouldn't Mewtwo sort of count as a 6th gen rep? After all, Mewtwo is going to incorporate his new form one way or another (which I look forward to).

We also have to remember that Sakurai planned seven Pokémons in Brawl. Considering that there's not anyone as worthy as Brawl's Pokemon + Mewtwo, I see little reason for them to be cut.
TMaakkonen said:
I think some are over valuing Little Mac. Then again nostalgia can be omega-important factor.
The only real issue with Little Mac is that he can only punch, but even then he has a lot more to work with than the Urban Champion, plus he's far more important and far more important than Urban Champion can ever hope to be.

...and I don't support Little Mac at all.

Little Mac would pretty much have to pull a Ness and use the other Punch Out! dude's moves to be viable. People say there are enough kinds of generic punches to cover his specials, but what about all the non-special moves? Would they be the same fucking moves except weaker? There's no room in Smash for that when we have characters so potent that their standard moves are just as cool if not cooler than their specials (See Ivysaur).

But yeah, a Mac that encompasses all of Punch Out!'s characters? I'll take that. His recovery could be a Great Tiger teleport punch, his Neutral B could be a chargeable Macho Man clothesline, his Side B could be the Bald Bull Rush, and the Down B could be, well, take your pick. (Someone suggested he could sit on the stool and replenish his health, but I don't really like the idea of instant health-replenishing moves. It makes camping seem like far too tempting of a prospect.)

Smashes could include things like Von Kaiser's clockwork punch. There's a goldmine to choose from.

Final Smash (assuming that comes back)? Giga Mac's a popular request but I'm sick of invincible transformation characters to be honest, plus he/it's not all that relevant. Just give Mac a fucking awesome Star Punch and that'll be enough for me.

SmithnCo

Little Mac's Final Smash should be some kind of Rocky montage, then he comes back and gives a super star punch. One cutscene final smash I'd like.

KevinCow

Banned
I had an idea for Little Mac where one of his specials, either B or down B, would be a dodge move. Do the dodge move as you're attacked, and you get a star. Then the stars could somehow be used to power up the other specials.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, I would like to toss up a warning to everyone that I'm going to post contest thread in 3 days (April 27) which is exactly 45 days before E3.

However I might change the rules and deadline due to new information regard with E3. Right now, I'm little concerned that SSB4 mightn't shown at "ND E3."

SmithnCo

Alright, I would like to toss up a warning to everyone that I'm going to post contest thread in 3 days (April 27) which is exactly 45 days before E3.

However I might change the rules and deadline due to new information regard with E3. Right now, I'm little concerned that SSB4 mightn't shown at "ND E3."

Looking forward to it.

Boss Doggie

The Mewtwo reveal? Really? You're counting a character doing a transition on a wacky Japanese Pokemon show as something? o_O ...

Anyway, that's all small fries compared to what I can list off for Pichu ... but we can all agree that he's likely not coming back regardless and was appearantly gonna be replaced by the 3rd gen Pika rips.

As for replacing Lucario with a 5th or 6th gen mon I would say Victini is the best bet for a 5th genner (Masuda's favorite Pokemon + he succeeded in picking up the slack when Zoroark flopped. Also a packed in figurine not that I really think that matters). 6th genner I would see him just going with Newtwo and calling it aday. Or he could just go with Sylveon regardless of what happens with Mewtwo (ribbons could act like Ivy's whips before anyone questions how a quadruped could fight.).

And we're on the outskirts of a brand new gen ... GF is gonna give Sakurai that list of Pokemon they see as important to them currently and I doubt Lucario will be topping any 6th gen Pokemon they plan to push these games with.

Point is Lucario remained relevant over the generation. Pichu isn't even appearing at all in Gen V. It's not about Lucario replacing Zoroark in PokeSmash (he's a character named Director Lucario who "took a vacation" but returned and Zoroark is still in PokeSmash but with reduced role). Lucario was in the Unova league stretch in the anime, had figures, and iirc was a star in a manga.

Pichu however has a distinction for being a clone though. Lucario ain't. Also iirc Pichu got the scrappy heat due to the existence of Spiked Eared Pichu, the most useless Pokemon in existence.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, for real.

Hopefully final draft of Contest. I really need feedbacks, criticisms, and etc. I want to make sure that people can't cheat. Also I want to make sure that my rules are clear enough.

Hello everyone,

I would like to invite everyone to join this contest: Super Smash Bros 4 Roster Prediction Contest. Players can try to win an 20 dollars eShop Card.

The rules should be simple enough for the contest and please follow the rules. If you don't then you're automatically disqualified from the contest.

Requirements in your post will be:
Type character roster IN WORDS, not a image
10 Assist Trophies
10 Poke balls
8 Stages
5 Items

Rules:

1. You are allowed to make any kind of decision with amount of the characters, however you will lose a point with each extra slots and missing slots. For example, final roster had 40 characters, one of many predicted rosters only have 44 characters then you will lose 4 points. If you have 36 characters roster, you will still lose 4 points as well.

2. You will lose a point per character that did not make it into the roster.

3. IMAGE ROSTER ARE WELCOME BUT if you want to post your image roster, then you are required to type up the roster as well, because people can easily edit the photo by uploading with the same file name. If you are going to post image roster only by deadline then you would be disqualified.

4. If you are going to edit after the deadline, then you are automatically disqualified.

Tiebreaker method:
If we are getting tied in the contest then we have a tiebreaker method ready.

10 assist trophies
10 pokeballs
8 stages
5 items

Deadline: June 9 11:59

Why so early? I would like to be able to avoid the media leaks or anything that could possibly happens, including early Nintendo Direct.

Reward: $20 eShop Points Card

After SSB4 is announced, I will be more likely to make a second thread for people to discuss with their predictions and so on. We can avoid spamming the prediction thread.

DaBoss

Looks good to me.

Are you going to add in the number of characters that were in SSB, SSBM, and SSBB in the OP? I think it would give us an idea or something for the number of characters. Though I guess we can search it up on our own lol.

Point is Lucario remained relevant over the generation. Pichu isn't even appearing at all in Gen V. It's not about Lucario replacing Zoroark in PokeSmash (he's a character named Director Lucario who "took a vacation" but returned and Zoroark is still in PokeSmash but with reduced role). Lucario was in the Unova league stretch in the anime, had figures, and iirc was a star in a manga.

Pichu however has a distinction for being a clone though. Lucario ain't. Also iirc Pichu got the scrappy heat due to the existence of Spiked Eared Pichu, the most useless Pokemon in existence.

If we're counting gens and games sence Brawl we have "Ukulele Pichu. A ukulele-playing Pichu that serves as the partner Pokémon to Ben or Summer in Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs." We also have Pikachu colored Pichu and the Spike eared Pichu from the the special HG/ SS games.

And even before then, there has been a line of Pichu anime shorts and manga appearances. Hell, all 4 of the Pichu made a cameo alongside Jpuff in the "Pokemon: Meloetta’s Moonlight Serenade" short. All of which are things that are far more removed from their gen and far more "series relevant" than anything on Lucario's side at this point.
(People in smash talks seem to forget that Pokemon is mostly marketed with "cute" Pokemon. Which is why even though Lucario is popular, he's not getting all the things "Pichu" has gotten)

And on top of that, it seems like Pichu was gonna be replaced by the 3rd gen PikaMons in brawl. Which, to ME, says that Pikachu clones = a-OK in Sakurai's book (why wouldn't it be? SF/ Marth/ Mario/ Link all have a character from their respective series that's similar to them. And apparently Zelda was gonna get one to) and that he's willing to trash a Pokemon that's important to the series marketing for it's replacement even if it's not as successful (P&M never got the fame and pushing Pichu got).

So yeah, I'm not saying Lucario isn't popular ... just that as it stands, Pichu has had far more series relevance in both games and media (up to about 2 gens pass it's gen) and was still gonna be replaced. Lucario doesn't rank up there with the gen onners and THAT is why I see him getting the boot.

Shorts

Neo Member
Tried to be realistic. Key word, tried

Super Mario/Yoshi/Wario
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Wario

Donkey Kong
DK
Diddy
Dixie
K. Rool

Legend Of Zelda
Link
Zelda / Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Squirt/Ivy/Char)
Lucario
Mewtwo / Newtwo

Metroid
Samus / ZSS
Ridley

Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal

F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh

Mother
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
Roy

Kid Icarus
Pit
Palutena

Smaller Franchises
Game & Watch
ROB
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Little Mac
Shulk
Saki
Takamaru

Third Party Characters
Sonic
Snake
Megaman

10 Assist Trophies
Pushmo
Dillon
Chrom
Birdo
Jimmy T.
Prince Fluff
Duck Hunt Dog
Ninten Cat
Bandana Dee
Zael

Pokeballs
Zoroark
Victini
Hydreigon
Oshowatt
Snivy
Chandelure
Sawk
Genesect
Kyuurem
Meloetta

8 Stages
Galaxy Tours (Mario Galaxy)
Sand Ocean (F-Zero)
Sunset Shore (Donkey Kong Country Returns)
Patch Land (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
N's Castle
Skyloft (LoZ)
Underworld (Kid Icarus)
Sauria (Star Fox)

Items
Propeller Hat
Star Pieces
Monado
Rambi
Fairy

Status