• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of music, I wonder how they're gonna decide which Brawl tracks to bring back.

Some people have suggested that they just carry over the entire Vault, but to me that sounds like a bad idea. I'd rather this game focus more on crafting its own identity since Brawl fell short in that regard.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A dubstep remix of the Brawl theme as that was the one genre they didn't cover in the original with the gazzillion different versions of it.

I'd rather have new tracks with old ones only making a return if they are for returning stages. I'd also rather have a smaller but more focused selection then just a billion imports for the hell of it. I mean FE really just needed the Sextastic Latin Opera theme but they thought what the hell lets just throw 50% of the tracks on this one stage and then poor 75m just got a 5 second loop.

A dubstep remix of the Brawl theme as that was the one genre they didn't cover in the original with the gazzillion different versions of it.

I'd rather have new tracks with old ones only making a return if they are for returning stages. I'd also rather have a smaller but more focused selection then just a billion imports for the hell of it. I mean FE really just needed the Sextastic Latin Opera theme but they thought what the hell lets just throw 50% of the tracks on this one stage and then poor 75m just got a 5 second loop.

I'd like them to also steer further clear of already used source material, sure there's going to be the obligatory Mario and Zelda Overworlds, Brinstar, Pokemon main theme and such but when branching out into other themesi it would be interesting to tackle those themes yet to appear in SSB.

Maybe when the actual SSB4 hype train finally gets going i'll post a selection of good candidates for each series unused music choices.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope they get a brand new theme song instead of remixing Brawl's Theme (does it actually have an official name?)

I'd love for them to go more modern rock/techno over another psuedo-Latin song, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If Victini isn't a playable Pokemon I wish it's a Pokeball Pokemon... that instantly kills everyone else save for the player that catches it, ensuring victory!

Boss Doggie

Like I said, Mewtwo can accommodate that since most of his b moves are terrible. Hell, just overhaul it. Mewtwo would be the slow ranged type while Awakened Mewtwo is the fast melee type.

Kjellson

I really expect Mewtwo to return, and with two "costumes" (or forms in this case). The question is which one will be the default one.

I bet people will rage if the new one is the default one, lol.

What would you guys want for a Mother/Earthbound stage this time around? I figure it'll be something from Earthbound rather than Mother 3, 'cuz while Brawl focused more on the most recent relevant release, Mother 2/Earthbound is now safely in the spotlight again with the Mother Revival Festival or whatever.

For once I'd like something that can actually capture the quirky charm of the series, because I don't think any Mother stage to date has done a very good job at that. And for good reason - it's hard! Saturn Valley is quirky and probably the most iconic location in the series, but some of the series' more serious tones (like music) might not be compatible with it. Threed would make an awesome stage too, but like Saturn Valley, its theme limits what it can represent.

So, I kept thinking...what about Summers?

s7LMhVF.png

You'd Smash on the beach, with the road and the buildings like the hospital and Club Stoic visible in the background. Not only would you see cars like the Runaway Five van and Mad Taxis zoom across the background every so often, but you'd also see familiar characters walking down the sidewalk (with the unlikable ones like Porky's dad being chased by Crazed Signs.) And the stage hazard would include the Kracken washing up on the beach to kick everyone's ass.

J20evti.jpg

It would also pretty much guarantee a kickin' Summers remix. (You can't say no to that!)

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
If 'Melee Menu 2' music disappears from Smash I will cry rivers of blood.

I personally think the stage should be based on something from the first Mother, which would be a nice neutral ground for both Ness and Lucas.

Maybe Magicant from the first Mother.
U8gTDUn.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
I really expect Mewtwo to return, and with two "costumes" (or forms in this case). The question is which one will be the default one.

I bet people will rage if the new one is the default one, lol.

I'm going to be raging primal rage.
Most likely will be it's Smash Ball move.

To me it seems like it's gonna be a ...

1- Zelda Transformation (No good, takes away a move.)

2- Samus Transformation (Could work, we don't know what Newtwo does different than reg Mewtwo so it COULD be different enough to warrant a "After Smash Transformation")

3- Just Mewtwo coming back in the form of Newtwo. Like how Link is always his newest version with a few effects changed to suit it.

SmithnCo

If the new Mewtwo form lets Mewtwo be in Smash again, it's worth it for me. Plus Mewtwo might not be poop if it has two sets of moves.

Kokonoe

Banned
If the new Mewtwo form lets Mewtwo be in Smash again, it's worth it for me. Plus Mewtwo might not be poop if it has two sets of moves.

It's not the moves that suck it's the properties and strength of them. Melee Remix fixed this and it's quite fun playing a non low tier Mewtwo.

Kokonoe

Banned
His down B if quicker works pretty good, his forward B is pretty bad.

You do Down B and that opens up a free throw (and mewtwo's throws are like the best) or free quick smash.

TrueBlue

So according to NoA's official Facebook popularity poll of Fire Emblem characters,
Lucina
is almost three times more popular than Chrom. What do you guys think this means about the next game's potential FE rep? (Apologies if this is old news.)

I can imagine
her Marth getup
being available as an alternate costume for Marth. Outside of that, I'm not sure it'll affect too much. I'd imagine that the characters in question would have pretty similar movesets if Awakening is anything to go by.

Boss Doggie

His down B if quicker works pretty good, his forward B is pretty bad.

You do Down B and that opens up a free throw (and mewtwo's throws are like the best) or free quick smash.
The problem with down B is that you might as well do a throw when you're that close to the enemy. If it's a partial counter move it would've have been better.

I still can't find any use for his side B though.

And his up B feels like a terrible version of Zelda's Wind of Farore.

well maybe ur useless!!!!

yeah

take that!!!!!!!!!!

Delicious

Maybe they could, I don't know, make the moves better? Is that a possibility?

EDIT: Mewtwo's up-B is way better than Zelda's. Zelda's goes farther but is laggy as all hell. Mewtwo's up-B is actually pretty good all around. Very fast as far as these moves go.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm surprised that people still hating on new Mewtwo.

I'm not sure which earthbound stage that should create for SSB4. I guess I can go with Summer.

There's not really anything I like about it. Asshead SausageToes McGamecubeHandle, forever unnecessarily linked to (and has a genuine chance of appearing in Smash over) one of my favorite Pokemon designs. I hate it. The fact that I have to specify what form I speak of when I'm talking about this guy is enough to bug me.

Kokonoe

Banned
Has it stopped being terrible? I'll probably stop hating on it when it stops being terrible.

Pretty much.

1. What on earth is with it's hands and feet? It has like toes for feet and it's fingers are incapable of grasping anything now. It looks like someone made some dwarfed version of Mewtwo with play-doh.

2. Why on earth is that band on it's head? It looks ridiculous, and even weirder that it connects to it's horn ears. The designers at gamefreak just put stuff on just to put stuff on now (aka Moevee). I'll tell you why they put that headband on, though, to hide how ugly it's head is if it didn't have it.

3. What is the point of the chest spikes? It's like Gardevoir x2, except less colorful and no sense. What is he going to stab them with his stomach? "UGH! UGH! Take this! UGH!"

4. Why on earth is it's tail on it's head?

5. The existence of this thing is so idiotic that it makes absolute zero sense to any possible storyline they could concoct. From 5 whole Generations of a standard Mewtwo, with 2 Mewtwo movies and everything being explained about it without any plotholes, they are adding a new form just to say they added a new form.

Simply put: It looks dumb, the idea behind it is dumb, and whoever thought this was great is getting their just desserts from all the people who hate it.

Simply put: It looks dumb, the idea behind it is dumb, and whoever thought this was great is getting their just desserts from all the people who hate it.

No, this isn't fair, people have differing opinions.

That said, I really don't even know what the designers were going for when they designed this thing. Mewtwo (regular forme, ugh) looks like a deformed mutated cat fetus thing, a sin against nature, a testament of man's hubris. This new Mewtwo forme looks like they just sat down and said "What if we gave Mewtwo a different forme?" and didn't think much beyond that.

Kokonoe

Banned
No, this isn't fair, people have differing opinions.

That said, I really don't even know what the designers were going for when they designed this thing. Mewtwo (regular forme, ugh) looks like a deformed mutated cat fetus thing, a sin against nature, a testament of man's hubris. This new Mewtwo forme looks like they just sat down and said "What if we gave Mewtwo a different forme?" and didn't think much beyond that.

That would be my opinion. It would be the same as saying "Yeah, this is what you get when you create a game like DmC Ninja Theory".

SmithnCo

It looks like they tried to make a cuter version of Mewtwo so they could
sell merchandise of it

That said, I'm so used to Pokemon getting different forms and stuff now that I don't mind it that much. Mewtwo's moves in Melee were interesting in that they tried something different even if some of them sucked, so I'd be interested to see what they'd do if they tweaked that and added another form.

Boss Doggie

Maybe they could, I don't know, make the moves better? Is that a possibility?

EDIT: Mewtwo's up-B is way better than Zelda's. Zelda's goes farther but is laggy as all hell. Mewtwo's up-B is actually pretty good all around. Very fast as far as these moves go.

It feels like Side and Down B function a bit too similarly though, with side B just adding a throw. And I thought Farore's Wind is "safer" due to the explosion.

Macka

Everything about the new Mewtwo forme disgusts me. Tail head. Lol.

I think it probably fits in with X&Y thematically, since it's the DNA Pokemon, chromosomes and all that. The new voice actor in the trailer being females means it could potentially have the power to flip between genders or something like that.

Doesn't stop it from being ugly though.

I'd say change his side-B to a proper Mario style reflector. I don't think Zelda had an explosion in her Up-B in Melee, did she? I can't remember. But Mewtwo's definitely was much faster and had better directional control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom