• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dillon is who again?

Dillon_ssbbr.png

Tyeforce

Dillon looks really cool. I kind of hope he gets in for the sake of new IP representation. Along with that pushmo guy.
I think Mallo would work better as a cameo in a Pushmo/Crashmo stage. It'd be hard to make a playable character out of someone who just pushes and pulls, lol.

Dillon is my first choice for an eShop rep, as well. I'd love to have him in the game, but I fear that he may not be deemed important enough...

KevinCow

Banned
I think Mallo would work better as a cameo in a Pushmo/Crashmo stage. It'd be hard to make a playable character out of someone who just pushes and pulls, lol.

Make him a grappler. All four of his specials are command grabs. Maybe even some of his smashes and normals.

I actually think Chrom's blandness is his strength, since he's the only "normal" character in a cast fool of oddballs. That said, he's sardonic in the DLC scenarios.

Playing the straight man =/= bland. It's like the entire game is a manzai act and Chrom is the tsukkomi to the rest of the cast's boke. All of his best lines come from him playing off of everyone else's insanity (and as you said he gets some amazing lines in the DLC; especially the Scramble maps) while still having some genuinely profound and heartfelt conversations with the Avatar and Lucina.

...Come to think of it, the Avatar would be a great pick if they wanted to add some element of customization. It wouldn't have to be much; just some different faces and hairstyles and a choice of magic or swordplay.

...Come to think of another thing; Gangrel and Gaius would make great characters for repping the Thief class tree considering their popularity among both fans and the developers of Awakening, and picking Gangrel would add a much-needed villain.

PK Gaming

bland was probably not the best choice of words :p

but yeah i agree with you completely

my gut tells me he's a show in for SSB4... I can just feel it

To be fair FLUDD being integrated into Mario's moveset was pretty random. Melee didn't mess with veteran's movesets nearly as much as Brawl did (it's why I'm thinking Dixie getting in via Diddy's moveset could actually happen now), so that sort of an impressive guess?

What else does your gut tell you for the rest of the roster?

GamerSoul

So many people put Dillon as an assist trophy.

I'm... I'm weeping guys.

;___;

Hang in there, heh. ATleast he's on their list :(
Syrup isn't looking to good either lol. Nonexistent in most polls / lists. Honestly it's what I expected but seeing the polls make it very clear that she's invisible. Prime choice for a sleeper pick :p . If not oh well, it's been fun lol.

Edit: whoop, nevermind I've seen her name come up a few times some how.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hang in there, heh. ATleast he's on their list :(
Syrup isn't looking to good either lol. Nonexistent in most polls / lists. Honestly it's what I expected but seeing the polls make it very clear that she's invisible. Prime choice for a sleeper pick :p . If not oh well, it's been fun lol.

Same here. I kept seeing Duck Hunt Dog in Assist Trophy. :\

I think that Awakening will get a rep, because it's the most popular Fire Emblem game since Sacred Stones and I'm fairly sure that Sakurai knows it. Chrom/Lucina's a no-brainer for the new SwordLord rep, and if Anna makes it in instead then it will certainly be her Awakening design.

I think that the BEST pick would be MU.

The boring/ safe/ expected pick would be Chrom or Lucina :/

And I actually liked Chrom (and Lucina)! Very early in the game Chrom proved to be the "Yup, you're having babies with MU!" pick on my first run. But I really do think that the MU addition to the series is big enough to warrant a rep in smash above those 2 if only 1 character from that game gets in. Not only is there uniqueness in the fact that the MU isn't strictly a swordsmen but it's also great in that it can be used to take full advantage of this customization feature(s).

Gattuso

I have to say making a semi-serious roster and item/stage prediction is hard when you haven't played almost any games from a few of Nintendo's IPs.

Tyeforce

I haven't posted in the roster prediction thread yet because I can't decide between these two rosters...

Here's my ideal/optimistic roster of 50 characters (54 counting transformations, Pokémon Trainer):

M9XPlkC.png

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Waluigi
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. King K. Rool
  9. Yoshi
  10. Wario
  11. Link
  12. Zelda
  13. Sheik
  14. Ganondorf
  15. Toon Link
  16. Tingle
  17. Samus
  18. Zero Suit Samus
  19. Ridley
  20. Fox
  21. Falco
  22. Wolf
  23. Kirby
  24. Meta Knight
  25. King Dedede
  26. Pit
  27. Palutena
  28. Pikachu
  29. Squirtle (Pokémon Trainer)
  30. Ivysaur (Pokémon Trainer)
  31. Charizard (Pokémon Trainer)
  32. Mewtwo
  33. Lucario
  34. Jigglypuff
  35. Marth
  36. Ike
  37. Chrom
  38. Ness
  39. Lucas
  40. Captain Falcon
  41. Pikmin & Olimar
  42. Animal Crossing Boy
  43. Isaac
  44. Shulk
  45. Mr. Game & Watch
  46. R.O.B.
  47. Ice Climbers
  48. Little Mac
  49. Takamaru
  50. Snake
  51. Sonic
  52. Mega Man
  53. Pac-Man
  54. Mii

And here's my more realistic roster of 40 characters (44 counting transformations, Pokémon Trainer):

gdMoysM.png

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Diddy Kong
  7. Yoshi
  8. Wario
  9. Link
  10. Zelda
  11. Sheik
  12. Ganondorf
  13. Toon Link
  14. Samus
  15. Zero Suit Samus
  16. Ridley
  17. Pit
  18. Little Mac
  19. Kirby
  20. Meta Knight
  21. King Dedede
  22. Pikmin & Olimar
  23. Fox
  24. Falco
  25. Wolf
  26. Captain Falcon
  27. Pikachu
  28. Squirtle (Pokémon Trainer)
  29. Ivysaur (Pokémon Trainer)
  30. Charizard (Pokémon Trainer)
  31. Lucario
  32. Mewtwo
  33. Marth
  34. Ike
  35. Ness
  36. Lucas
  37. Mr. Game & Watch
  38. R.O.B.
  39. Ice Climbers
  40. Takamaru
  41. Snake
  42. Sonic
  43. Mega Man
  44. Pac-Man

I think any of the characters in the first roster are very likely to get in, but narrowing them down is so hard. I doubt we'll have 50 characters, unfortunately, so there's no way that all of them will make the cut...

Whoever ends up making the cut, I wouldn't expect a ton of newcomers this time around.

(Also, I'm sorry for no Dillon. :( I'd love to see him as a playable character, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. There are too many other higher profile characters and presumably not very many spaces for newcomers if Sakurai's comments are anything to go by.)

EDIT: To add even more uncertainty, here's a third roster of 45 characters (49 counting transformations, Pokémon Trainer):

IjdaC6Z.png

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Waluigi
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. King K. Rool
  9. Yoshi
  10. Wario
  11. Link
  12. Zelda
  13. Sheik
  14. Ganondorf
  15. Toon Link
  16. Pit
  17. Samus
  18. Zero Suit Samus
  19. Ridley
  20. Fox
  21. Falco
  22. Wolf
  23. Kirby
  24. Meta Knight
  25. King Dedede
  26. Pikmin & Olimar
  27. Captain Falcon
  28. Pikachu
  29. Squirtle (Pokémon Trainer)
  30. Ivysaur (Pokémon Trainer)
  31. Charizard (Pokémon Trainer)
  32. Mewtwo
  33. Lucario
  34. Jigglypuff
  35. Marth
  36. Ike
  37. Chrom
  38. Ness
  39. Lucas
  40. Mr. Game & Watch
  41. R.O.B.
  42. Ice Climbers
  43. Takamaru
  44. Little Mac
  45. Shulk
  46. Snake
  47. Sonic
  48. Mega Man
  49. Pac-Man

I'll also put these here for now until I finish them:

Assist Trophies:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10

Poké Ball Pokémon:
  1. Shaymin
  2. Victini
  3. Zoroark
  4. Tornadus
  5. Keldeo
  6. Meloetta
  7. Genesect
  8. Sylveon
  9. Xerneas
  10. Yveltal

Stages:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8

Items:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Badass.

A shame that such a good character was wasted on a lackluster game (and a lackluster sequel, apparently). If Dillon was the star of a good retail title I'd consider him a shoe-in for sure.

From what I heard the sequel improves a lot from the first, but still has some problems. With that said I don't consider it bad - more on "it's okay" levels.

I demand that whoever did this do one for Jill.

Maybe someone did a fanart of her in pixiv :p

I haven't posted in the roster prediction thread yet because I can't decide between these two rosters...

Here's my ideal/optimistic roster of 50 characters:

And here's my more realistic roster of 40 characters:

I think any of the characters in the first roster are very likely to get in, but narrowing them down is so hard. I doubt we'll have 50 characters, unfortunately, so there's no way that all of them will make the cut...

Whoever ends up making the cut, I wouldn't expect a ton of newcomers this time around.

(Also, I'm sorry for no Dillon. :( I'd love to see him as a playable character, but I just don't see it happening, unfortunately. There are too many other higher profile characters and presumably not very many spaces for newcomers if Sakurai's comments are anything to go by.)

EDIT: To add even more uncertainty, here's a third roster of 45 characters:

Eh, replace Waluigi with Palutena and the 45-man roster while pessimistic is still one I can still live with. Only 5 new characters would be beyond disappointing though.

I mean, counting transformations Brawl still had a jump of like, 17 characters.

Tyeforce

Eh, replace Waluigi with Palutena and the 45-man roster while pessimistic is still one I can still live with. Only 5 new characters would be beyond disappointing though.

I mean, counting transformations Brawl still had a jump of like, 17 characters.
Sakurai did say that we shouldn't expect too many newcomers... I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm kinda expecting something big like customizable movesets at the cost of less newcomers.

McNum

Playing the straight man =/= bland. It's like the entire game is a manzai act and Chrom is the tsukkomi to the rest of the cast's boke. All of his best lines come from him playing off of everyone else's insanity (and as you said he gets some amazing lines in the DLC; especially the Scramble maps) while still having some genuinely profound and heartfelt conversations with the Avatar and Lucina.

...Come to think of it, the Avatar would be a great pick if they wanted to add some element of customization. It wouldn't have to be much; just some different faces and hairstyles and a choice of magic or swordplay.

...Come to think of another thing; Gangrel and Gaius would make great characters for repping the Thief class tree considering their popularity among both fans and the developers of Awakening, and picking Gangrel would add a much-needed villain.
The Avatar could have the default name of Robin and have three male and three female colors, possibly switching around faces, too.

With sword and magic, it could be a pretty unique character, and with the Tactician or Grandmaster outfit, too. I could see a moveset with swords for melee attacks and magic for B attacks. Up+B should be a Rescue Staff, even if he can't use them in that class in the game. Add a bit of Arcfire, Thoron, and Elwind or whatever strength elemental magic you want and he'd be a pretty unique character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakurai did say that we shouldn't expect too many newcomers... I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm kinda expecting something big like customizable movesets at the cost of less newcomers.

Yeah but 5-7 new characters? I'm not sure about that. I think he wouldn't disappoint us just like that.

Isn't the whole speculating from his tweets what bugs him?

I think so, which is why he stopped tweeting as much(?).

And plus, I'm not sure what that pic could even be hinting at. No non-brawl characters in it :p

(That's likely because he doesn't want to feed the raving fans any info/ false hopes now that I think about it)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or he just got the new Pit figmas in the post and is showing them off.

They did come out very recently.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think so, which is why he stopped tweeting as much(?).

And plus, I'm not sure what that pic could even be hinting at. No non-brawl characters in it :p

(That's likely because he doesn't want to feed the raving fans any info/ false hopes now that I think about it)

5 players with one speculator or 6 players. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are you sure they weren't production shots because they were released two days ago.

Here are some official shots. Do any of them match the one he took?

Or perhaps he was invited to Good Smile to have a look at them. But I'd say with the actual release only being two days ago this photo is just saying look what I just got/look what you can get now.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280602834746105857
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280645079314620418

But yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom