• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
what the hell is a "figma"
Posable figurines by Good Smile. In that picture, Samus, Link and the two Pits are all figmas.

And the pictures that Sakurai posted months ago were just publicity shots and can be seen on page 3 here.

So yes, that photo is probably nothing more than Sakurai going "look what I've just got!"

Sakurai tweeted this pic of his figurines he has.

bXXaLLj.jpg

could be hints????

That Samus, Link, Pit, Bowser, Ness and Charizard are going to be in the next Smash Bros.? You've done it, you've cracked the code!

GamerSoul

I'd rather have him tweeting pictures of his cat....stop teasing me Sakurai.

Funny how the characters in Smash are basically like those statues and figures he owns. Just figures brought to life.

SmithnCo

I suggest you to post that in prediction thread to enlighten some people. I'm sure that few people might change their prediction because of this.

Done, I actually put it on my list because I'm thinking it would be a unique hook for a character. Similar in some ways to Olimar.

Platinum never owned any games they made you know.
If Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U doesn't work out (in terms of sales) I'd still appreciate it if SEGA just gave the franchise rights to Platinum to keep. Not like they showed much support for the franchise when they axed B2 in the first place.

Probably LTTP, but according to this video, it's possible Plusle and Minun could have been considered as characters for Brawl. If so, then I think there's a good chance they can join the Pokémon roster in SSB4. I think it'd be cool if Nintendo expanded upon the dual character like the Ice Climbers, and Plusle and Minun are the perfect Pokémon for it.

Gattuso

I was thinking, what interesting uses could the Wii u gamepad have for this game? so far all I got is:
  • Score sheet-instead of waiting for the end of the battle you can just view you current results while battling it out.
  • the gamepad player can make the battle a living nightmare for the other players in some way.
  • options menu- be able to change the battle options or item switch mid game(most likely for training mode).
  • dual screen battles or events in single player mode.
I don't feel i'm thinking outside the box right now. what do you guys think?

Outside of the box you say? when you lose your last stock after being spiked into oblivion you tumble down into gamepad afterlife and do pointless battle on it with any other eliminated players until the main fight is over.

there's numerous reasons why this idea would never actually work but it's fun to think about.

I was thinking, what interesting uses could the Wii u gamepad have for this game? so far all I got is:
  • Score sheet-instead of waiting for the end of the battle you can just view you current results while battling it out.
  • the gamepad player can make the battle a living nightmare for the other players in some way.
  • options menu- be able to change the battle options or item switch mid game(most likely for training mode).
TBQH I'd rather it didn't use the gamepad at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Choose menu options.
Rotate statues.
Place stickers

I know. I sometimes amaze myself with the ideas I can come up with.

Gattuso

well I guess there's still the option of off tv play.
Choose menu options.
Rotate statues.
Place stickers

I know. I sometimes amaze myself with the ideas I can come up with.
Your blowing my mind with these simple yet unheard of gamepad uses.

Speaker of stickers, I expanded upon this idea a while ago and was wondering what people thought about the plausibility.

So Brawl had Stickers on Trophies in the SSE that sort of functioned like perks. You'd put one on the bottom of your character and it would enhance X or Y about them.

Would it be all that far-fetched to suggest or assume that these could make their way to Multiplayer? I remember Sakurai (or someone else) saying that there were balance issues with adding too many characters. So perhaps the roster wouldn't need to expand too much, and these stickers could instead help to strengthen different attributes of the fighters? Maybe one could make Bowser faster to allow him to be a more favorable choice? Maybe one would make Kirby heavier so he didn't get knocked out of battle so easily?

Now I'm normally against any of these "perk" modification stuff, but in a game where characters are inherently different, I think it could add a new level of strategy. Because at the end of the day, Brawl played exactly the same as Melee except with things like wave dashing removed and random tripping added.

Note that this is just talking about Smash Bros, because I'm against this very idea in Halo :p

SmithnCo

I'd like the sticker idea. Of course it would have to be an option/separate mode, but it would add more strategy and also longevity to online. Like CoD perks but not locked behind leveling.

I'd like the sticker idea. Of course it would have to be an option/separate mode, but it would add more strategy and also longevity to online. Like CoD perks but not locked behind leveling.

Definitely a separate mode, either as a gametype alongside Stock and Coin or under Special Melee. Don't do what Halo 4 did where they're all over the game and there's no where to play without them.

While we're on about separate modes, anyone else miss Bonus Battle? :(

Gattuso

that would definitely make me play as other characters more often. Just give everyone 1 of every sticker to choose from to buff the character then head to battle. although setting up the characters might take some time with a lot of people playing when you just want to start the match.
Definitely a separate mode, either as a gametype alongside Stock and Coin or under Special Melee. Don't do what Halo 4 did where they're all over the game and there's no where to play without them.

While we're on about separate modes, anyone else miss Bonus Battle? :(

what was bonus battle again? I'm drawing a blank right now.

Bonus Mode in Melee was where you were judged on "Style" as opposed to KO's or survival (though they played a part). Link

The best example I can think of is "Stale Moves". If you repeatedly used C-Smashes for example, you would have -2000 points deducted from your score. Grabs and Pratfalls would give you more points, and so would more KOs on your part.

I liked it because it was a way to play different instead of smash random buttons or camp out with a cheap character (moreso, it gave me an edge over bad players who would get lucky since random KOs wouldn't give you a win in this mode). I was sad to see it go, but I guess not many people even bothered in the first place.

My favorite modes would have to be Stock > Stamina > Bonus > Time > Coin

Gattuso

oh ok I couldn't remember because I played just about every mode except that one in melee.
out of those five just switch bonus with coin and you have my most played modes in order.

KevinCow

Banned
I completely forgot Bonus Melee was a thing.

I want Stamina mode to return and get fleshed out a bit. Let me adjust the amount of health and make it so falling does a bunch of damage instead of killing you outright.

KevinCow

Banned
Wait, Brawl has Stamina mode? Huh.

Well in that case they should make it one of the things you can select in a normal Brawl, like Timed and Stock.

Darryl

Banned

you know how in NSMB there's platforms that move while you rotate the gamepad? i want some levels that play like that. the guy who has the gamepad rotates the entire level. he has to try to battle at the same time. maybe it can be a King of the Hill kind of thing

KevinCow

Banned
There could be a mode like Pac-Man Vs. and some of the Nintendoland games. Gamepad player sees the whole level, while the other players are on a team and can only see a short distance around where their character is. This could be done with split-screen, or it could be like the dark levels in a the NSMB games where the screen's all dark except for a light bubble around each character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
you know how in NSMB there's platforms that move while you rotate the gamepad? i want some levels that play like that. the guy who has the gamepad rotates the entire level. he has to try to battle at the same time. maybe it can be a King of the Hill kind of thing
Now I am become Kraid, the rotator of worlds.

fisheyes

A mode where the first player who gets eliminated gets to move to gamepad and fuck around with things is a must. There could be all kinds of varieties. You could drop bombs, collapse platforms, spawn Pokemon, I don't know. Plenty of options.

Also, a boss mode, where the fifth player gets to control a boss. Move around with the joystick, but instead of A and B attacks or whatever, the gamepad could just display a list of the boss' moves, and you could tap it to use it - that way the bosses moves don't actually have to be mapped to a regular control scheme.

Both seem relatively like no-brainers to me.

Presumably two gamepads would be supported by this point, in addition to four Wiimotes/Pro Controllers, so the obvious answer is six-player frenzies. Wouldn't even need to use the streaming functionality, you'd all look at the TV.

Gattuso

i wonder if a another gamepad would even be "affordable" by then but more options for those that do get one if the game does end up supporting it. 6 player battles seems like it would get crazy just doing free-for-all.

DaBoss

i wonder if a another gamepad would even be "affordable" by then but more options for those that do get one if the game does end up supporting it. 6 player battles seems like it would get crazy just doing free-for-all.

They could have had 8 players in Brawl.

Did you know that Mach Rider may actually be a woman? It's not entirely clear, but...

When you beat levels in the Nintendo Vs. Arcade version of the game a picture of a bikini clad woman with a knife slowly appears after each level beaten.

4KDtBxh.png

Mach Rider prior to beating the game.

eWai6Uc.png

The picture completed at the end of the game.

Just a neat little thing about the dark horse newcomer I support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom