• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

So...is the 3DS version going to have an actual, playable multiplayer, or are we basically looking at a companion to the Wii U version, a dojo where you level up your characters or something like that for use with the Wii U game? The last bit of cryptic news we received wasn't all that promising in terms of having an actual SB on the go.

A mode where the first player who gets eliminated gets to move to gamepad and fuck around with things is a must. There could be all kinds of varieties. You could drop bombs, collapse platforms, spawn Pokemon, I don't know. Plenty of options.

Also, a boss mode, where the fifth player gets to control a boss. Move around with the joystick, but instead of A and B attacks or whatever, the gamepad could just display a list of the boss' moves, and you could tap it to use it - that way the bosses moves don't actually have to be mapped to a regular control scheme.

Both seem relatively like no-brainers to me.
Sign me up for a boss mode. I will honestly be disappointed if the gamepad went without utilization for a boss battle.
Did you know that Mach Rider may actually be a woman? It's not entirely clear, but...

When you beat levels in the Nintendo Vs. Arcade version of the game a picture of a bikini clad woman with a knife slowly appears after each level beaten.

4KDtBxh.png

Mach Rider prior to beating the game.

eWai6Uc.png

The picture completed at the end of the game.

Just a neat little thing about the dark horse newcomer I support.
Well Sakurai did refer to Mach Rider as a he in Melee. Going by this, if Mach Rider were to get in, he would be referred to as a male.
So...is the 3DS version going to have an actual, playable multiplayer, or are we basically looking at a companion to the Wii U version, a dojo where you level up your characters or something like that for use with the Wii U game? The last bit of cryptic news we received wasn't all that promising in terms of having an actual SB on the go.
I'm sure we are going to have multi-player in the game along with online multi-player; however, there will be more of a focus on the single player. I'm hoping that material for the next inevitable SSE is 3DS-only for this reason.

KevinCow

Banned

I swear, people get so paranoid and start worrying about the weirdest things when it comes to Smash. I remember when the Brawl trailer first came out, there were people worrying that it wouldn't have regular Samus, or the 5 newcomers in that trailer would be the only newcomers, or even that the 9 characters in that trailer would be theonly ones in the game.

No, it's not going to be like some iOS companion game. They wouldn't have bad a big deal in announcing Smash Bros. for the 3DS if it wasn't going to be Smash Bros. for the 3DS.

GeekyDad

I swear, people get so paranoid and start worrying about the weirdest things when it comes to Smash. I remember when the Brawl trailer first came out, there were people worrying that it wouldn't have regular Samus, or the 5 newcomers in that trailer would be the only newcomers, or even that the 9 characters in that trailer would be theonly ones in the game.

No, it's not going to be like some iOS companion game. They wouldn't have bad a big deal in announcing Smash Bros. for the 3DS if it wasn't going to be Smash Bros. for the 3DS.

Eh...this isn't a concern born out of paranoia. This is based on what we're told are Sakurai's own plans for the game:

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone."

Source

Well Sakurai did refer to Mach Rider as a he in Melee. Going by this, if Mach Rider were to get in, he would be referred to as a male.

I know Mach Rider is referred to as male in the English language versions, but is this the case in the original Japanese version? I'd be curious to find out, but I'm not really sure how to go about that.

KevinCow

Banned
This is true, you've also got some people almost vehemently expecting that which wont happen in a million years, Smash brings out the loonies that's for sure.

I agree, it's silly when people think their favorite character in some obscure game is going to get in even though he realistically has no chance.

On a completely unrelated note, I can't wait to play as Jill!

Eh...this isn't a concern born out of paranoia. This is based on what we're told are Sakurai's own plans for the game:

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone."

Source

See, I don't get how you're reading, "These are the only things we expect to do with Smash 3DS," from that.

I read it as, "These are some new features that we hope to implement that give an example of how the Wii U and 3DS versions can work together."

Releasing Smash without multiplayer would be like, I dunno, releasing Half-Life without single player, or if all you could do in the next Madden was kick field goals, or if you took the exploration and discovery out of Metroid and made it linear, mediocre character action game with cutscenes that are far too long and embarrassingly bad and portray Samus as whiny and subservient and useless and the worst character in anything ever, except maybe Adam.

...Ahem.

This is Sakurai. If there's one thing he's known for, it's jamming as much as possible into his games, and then adding some more on top of that. Smash 3DS is going to have single player, multiplayer, and there's a reasonable chance that he's going to invent some new number just so the game can support that many of players.

qq more

Okay, Samus I can sort of see, as dumb as it is... but did people really speculated the bolded? What the heck?

SmithnCo

Source

So, based on that it seems like there will be individualized aspects similar to the sticker idea? I hope so.

KevinCow

Banned
Okay, Samus I can sort of see, as dumb as it is... but did people really speculated the bolded? What the heck?

I specifically remember seeing people say things like, "This game has way fewer characters than Melee," and, "Darn, I was hoping _____ would be in it," when all that had been shown was the first trailer.

qq more

I specifically remember seeing people say things like, "This game has way fewer characters than Melee," and, "Darn, I was hoping _____ would be in it," when all that had been shown was the first trailer.

They... they seriously thought they'd reveal the entire roster from the first trailer?

Wow... what a bunch of idiots hahahaha

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Holy shit!

Man I wanted to see Brawl in GAF during the first trailer.

GamerSoul

This is true, you've also got some people almost vehemently expecting that which wont happen in a million years, Smash brings out the loonies that's for sure.

Can't wait. :3 I should ask for forgiveness now because I might turn into one of those loonies. heh It'll depend on how much sleep I get.

A mode where the first player who gets eliminated gets to move to gamepad and fuck around with things is a must. There could be all kinds of varieties. You could drop bombs, collapse platforms, spawn Pokemon, I don't know. Plenty of options.

Also, a boss mode, where the fifth player gets to control a boss. Move around with the joystick, but instead of A and B attacks or whatever, the gamepad could just display a list of the boss' moves, and you could tap it to use it - that way the bosses moves don't actually have to be mapped to a regular control scheme.

Both seem relatively like no-brainers to me.

That would be pretty cool. I'm pretty sure Sakurai will come up with a couple of things for the WiiU game pad. I hope it doesn't slow down the developement too much because I can them spending weeks on getting many ideas to work well. lol.

Did you know that Mach Rider may actually be a woman? It's not entirely clear, but...

When you beat levels in the Nintendo Vs. Arcade version of the game a picture of a bikini clad woman with a knife slowly appears after each level beaten.

http://i.imgur.com/4KDtBxh.png[IMG]
Mach Rider prior to beating the game.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eWai6Uc.png[IMG]
The picture completed at the end of the game.

Just a neat little thing about the dark horse newcomer I support.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE-lOhg9wVT1Y3ajIdmoTyJ-b8ILSDfx2F4hAG9eAMCD_Aqkun

GamerSoul

Makes sense when you put it that way.

The Mach Rider thing is interesting but idk, you would think it was known by now. Kinda hard to believe but cool nonetheless.

I remember some of my friends were livid at the announcement trailer and appalled that the final game would have so few characters, not to mention cutting everybody besides Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu.

To be fair we were all 14/15, but still, teaser trailers released years before a product's released are hardly a foreign concept.

I'd be surprised if we get a similar trailer this year if we don't at least see the original 8, plus a couple other vets like Pit, Falcon and Marth (don't see the point in keeping the last two 'secrets' anymore).

Joqu

So do you guys think we will get a real proper trailer this year? Iwata only mentioning screenshots and all that makes me think that the game isn't ready to be shown yet at all.

But I suppose they could always make a new CG trailer.

DaBoss

So do you guys think we will get a real proper trailer this year? Iwata only mentioning screenshots and all that makes me think that the game isn't ready to be shown yet at all.

There will be a trailer.
J7TPh3F.png

They're not going to reveal Smash Bros. without a trailer, that would be ridiculous.

As it stands this game has had more time in development than Brawl had when it was revealed at E3 2006. If there really is no trailer, then I wouldn't know what the fuck Sakurai and Namco are doing with their time. If they really can't manage a proper reveal this long after development has started on one of their premier titles, then Nintendo deserves whatever the fuck they have coming.

Boss Doggie

Wasn't it confirmed to have a trailer?

Also was the intro to Melee used as a trailer for that game?

Boss Doggie

Yeah. Melee's reveal's trailer basically was the intro. They showed gameplay too tho.

Then again the intro of Melee didn't spoil too much save for some newcomers like Bowser, Zelda and Shiek. I wish Smash 4 will do the same thing.

Didn't Brawl's intro change depending on how much character's you had unlocked? That was pretty cool.
Yes and no.

Yes, the picture of the cast staring at what remained of R.O.B. Country grew as your cast grew. But that was it; nothing else about the intro changed IIRC.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I like how the earliest screenshots on the Dojo didn't even have character shadows yet.

Also few character models look different. Like Pit.

newpitem4.jpg

I'm positive that we will see trailer, but would it be CGI. I really hope so.

There will be a trailer.
J7TPh3F.png

I hope so.

CG trailer or I'll riot, or more accurately i'll pout and grumble a bit before deciphering exciting screenshot goodness.

Same here, hahaha.

They're not going to reveal Smash Bros. without a trailer, that would be ridiculous.

As it stands this game has had more time in development than Brawl had when it was revealed at E3 2006. If there really is no trailer, then I wouldn't know what the fuck Sakurai and Namco are doing with their time. If they really can't manage a proper reveal this long after development has started on one of their premier titles, then Nintendo deserves whatever the fuck they have coming.

Exactly, but Sakura can choose to make us wait for it anytime

Wasn't it confirmed to have a trailer?

Also was the intro to Melee used as a trailer for that game?

Indeed, they used melee intro as E3 2011 trailer. Also we are confirmed to have "media" of SSB4 at e3. That was before they decided to change their goal with E3.

Dunno.

Yeah. Melee's reveal's trailer basically was the intro. They showed gameplay too tho.

Then again the intro of Melee didn't spoil too much save for some newcomers like Bowser, Zelda and Shiek. I wish Smash 4 will do the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

Didn't Brawl's intro change depending on how much character's you had unlocked? That was pretty cool.

Only characters that are standing on the ground. That's not much but sorta cool tho.

SmithnCo

Do you guys think Snake should stay? Quite a lot of people want him to leave from what I have heard.
:(

Yes, I hope he stays. Very unique playstyle and character though he typically isn't associated with Nintendo. Which is fine, he's still a gaming icon.

I was thinking the same thing.
I wonder if early speculation had Ridley, Wolf and Samurai Goroh pegged as playable due to their roles in the opening?

To be perfectly honest, I never once thought that Ridley or Goroh would be playable characters. I just figured that the game was showing off where they were coming from with scenes from Samus'/Falcon's games.

(I'm talking about when the footage was first aired, and the game sequence itself, if it wasn't obvious)

KevinCow

Banned
Man, I hope Smash 4 has an intro as good as Melee's. Brawl's was disappointing. Just a bunch of SSE clips that didn't even flow with the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom