• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
what character do you feel you want or would have zero issue with being cut from the next game. For me it would would be olimar he just felt like a waste of space for me. I haven't touched him since around launch so I don't even remember what he played like and still don't want to find out.
tumblr_me4ob8SeRS1ruhgpto1_400.gif

He's so happy to be removed from the roster, too! :O

Kidding. Actually, I'd rather they keep everybody, even if I never play as some of them, like Olimar, G&W, Ice Climbers or ROB.

So you found a good use for that gif it seems Shadow Hog.

Characters I could live with being cut?

R.O.B: I don't hate R.O.B but when it comes down to it his bog standard Robot moveset and lack of any real character value just doesn't do much for me.

Falco: Dangerous choice here i'm sure but Fox and Wolf fit the bill just fine for me, Wolf feels more unique than Falco does as well.

Any Pokemon that isn't Pikachu: in a lineup of like 500 plus pokemon SSB hasn't really touched any of my favourite pokemon with Mewtwo and Charizard being the closest, you could throw them all out and replace them with other pokemon and i'd probably be more excited to check out new movesets instead of lamenting the loss of the current ones.

Toon Link: This guy was such a missed opportunity regarding his special moves, anyway standard Link is fine by me.

Zero Suit Samus: I actually don't mind playing as her at all but i'd honestly barely notice her removal as I tend to forget she's actually in the game half the time.

I should stress that these aren't characters I actually all want to see cut, just ones that i'd accept with no fussing. There's other characters I use less than some of these guys (for example Peach is my least used i'm sure) but of them I think they fit the whole Nintendo All Star roster a bit more or offer a particularly unique style worth keeping.

SmithnCo

I'd be fine with Wolf/Falco and Ike going too. Ike, because I have no problem with a rotating character slot for FE characters. Wolf/Falco because why the hell does Star Fox have three reps.

ZSS is okay... But I wish there was an option to not change to her after a FS. I never got the hang of her.

GamerSoul

what character do you feel you want or would have zero issue with being cut from the next game. For me it would would be olimar he just felt like a waste of space for me. I haven't touched him since around launch so I don't even remember what he played like and still don't want to find out.
edit: you slightly messed up my post.

Ice Climbers, Lucas, ROB, and Olimar definitely.

Edit: Oh yea Ike too.

I wouldn't mind Ike going because it means Chrom & Lucina have a chance.

I wouldn't mind any Pokémon going because I want them to explore more beyond Gen I.

I wouldn't mind Lucas going because I would rather have Duster or Kumatora be the Mother 3 rep.

I wouldn't mind R.O.B. going because the Duck Hunt Dog would make a better peripheral character.

I wouldn't mind Ganondorf going because although I love him, his moveset is boring and if he's not going to evolve, the slot would be better spent on an original moveset like Vaati.

PK Gaming

I wouldn't mind Ike going because it means Chrom & Lucina have a chance.

I wouldn't mind any Pokémon going because I want them to explore more beyond Gen I.

I wouldn't mind Lucas going because I would rather have Duster or Kumatora be the Mother 3 rep.

I wouldn't mind R.O.B. going because the Duck Hunt Dog would make a better peripheral character.

I wouldn't mind Ganondorf going because although I love him, his moveset is boring and if he's not going to evolve, the slot would be better spent on an original moveset like Vaati.

hahaha

I agree with all 5 of these points (a year ago, i'd be opposed to #3, but not anymore)

I'll start using the stage editor once this is the minimal result of using it:

klrwELJ.jpg

Yeah, they should also allow for building deep in the background, not just on the playable surface. That would allow for some cool 3d maps instead of the blocky, less detailed stuff we got with Brawl.

As someone who uses every character I've always been against cuts, especially when they don't make sense (Mewtwo). Dr. Mario could've been an alternate costume, so that kind of cut makes sense.

But to answer your question lol I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if Lucario got cut B] - Everyone else deserves to stay though.

I'd prefer everyone to stay since I don't think anyone would make a good cut like Brawl, but if there were cuts, I'd rather deal with losing these:
- Snake
- Sonic
- Jigglypuff
- Lucas
- Toon Link

I don't want to see Lucario or Ike go anywhere and would hate to see them cut.

Hey guys, with the moment of truth growing ever closer, I wanna make sure my Miiverse feed is loaded up with copious Smash 4 enthusiasm when it's at last unveiled.

So yeah, let's be sure to add each other (NNID: RawkHawk2010). And then on the day of reckoning we can excitedly scribble our first impressions like over-caffeinated cheerleaders.

(It'll be GREAT.)

I don't want anybody cut from Brawl since unlike Melee every character felt at least somewhat wanted beforehand or justified, as opposed to Dr. Mario or Pichu.

if it absolutely came down to it though, unless a major SF game happens a largely-dead series having three reps seems dumb to me so I'd consider axing one of them, Lucario for whatever new Pokemon mascot, Ike for Chrom and Lucas.

Though to repeat myself I absolutely hope nobody gets cut. Even the ones I listed would be bummers, since I play a ton of Falco in Melee/Wolf in Brawl, Lucario and Ike have original movesets and Lucas represents one of my favorite recent Nintendo games. Only way I'd feel better about them leaving is if they were guaranteed to come back as DLC and cutting them from the main game was only to allow more newcomers in and not as a shitty Capcom-style 'push back X amount of characters to DLC status before launch' scam.

Gattuso

Hey guys, with the moment of truth growing ever closer, I wanna make sure my Miiverse feed is loaded up with copious Smash 4 enthusiasm when it's at last unveiled.

So yeah, let's be sure to add each other (NNID: RawkHawk2010). And then on the day of reckoning we can excitedly scribble our first impressions like over-caffeinated cheerleaders.

(It'll be GREAT.)
I shot a friend request over to you

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh you guys, wanting Wolf cut. How silly!

That's like saying you like eating toast without jelly!

Also that's a small time brofist compared to this.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh you guys, wanting Wolf cut. How silly!

That's like saying you like eating toast without jelly!

Also that's a small time brofist compared to this.

Get rid of Falco. I would like to see Wolf having a important role in Villains vs Heroes story plot.

Actually, I'm not sure about cutting Falco.

SkyOdin

If Falco and Wolf are going to stay, they need a pretty dramatic overhaul in their base concept. They need something other than being Fox with different attacks. Wolf is in a slightly better position than Falco, but just barely. Give one of them a variety of Star Fox Assault guns or something. Otherwise, I am okay with either one (or both) being cut.

I think Ganondorf would be okay to cut if and only if they replace him with Ganon. Give him his proper teleportation and long-range magic attacks, and he definitely needs the Trident or a pair of swords.

I think it is okay for Roy and Mewtwo to stay gone, and I liked Mewtwo in Melee. Heck, it would probably be better to replace Pikachu and Jigglypuff with a new Trainer character with a different lineup of pokemon than the current one. A female trainer or rival trainer from one of the games would work.

I think Diddy Kong is pretty fun, but I am not convinced he is essential, either. Ditto for Dedede and Meta Knight. They are good characters, but would be acceptable losses if they are replaced by good newcomers. Pit needs to stay though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I agree to give Wolf a demon sniper, a rocket launcher, that energy machine gun, and maybe a less shitty recovery.

Oh and a shirtless alt costume

I actually DON'T like jelly on my toast.

Well you still put a spread on it regardless! I just want my post to rhyme!

KevinCow

Banned
If I make toast, it's usually becausr I've also made a fried egg and I'm about to have a delicious sandwich.

Who are these plebs who just eat regular toast?

KevinCow

Banned
I kinda feel like assist trophies were wasted by being items last time.

What if this time, you get to choose your assist before the match starts, just after you select your character.

To make this work in gameplay, add a new Assist button. Assist comes in, does an attack based on the direction you're holding, then leaves. Then it has some cooldown before you can use him again.

The benefits of such a system:

- More variety in characters with out having to actually create and dozens of new fully playable character.

- Characters who didn't make the cut for playable could still get in as more than a cameo that most people would only see once, if that.

- More variety in gameplay. A Fox with a Waluigi assist would probably require a different approach than a Fox with a Slippy assist.

fisheyes

What if this time, you get to choose your assist before the match starts, just after you select your character.

To make this work in gameplay, add a new Assist button. Assist comes in, does an attack based on the direction you're holding, then leaves. Then it has some cooldown before you can use him again.

- More variety in characters with out having to actually create and dozens of new fully playable character.

- Characters who didn't make the cut for playable could still get in as more than a cameo that most people would only see once, if that.

- More variety in gameplay. A Fox with a Waluigi assist would probably require a different approach than a Fox with a Slippy assist.

This is an idea I can fully get behind - in fact it is one I've mentioned previously. I would really like to see it happen.

I personally think there should be a complete overhaul of how Assist Trophies work. The idea of representing more characters is cool, but there's really no gameplay difference between them and Pokemon, which is a bit of a shame. The Pokemon worked well for all 3 games, and can stick around, but some of the Assist characters should feel 'bigger' than just another Pokeball.

I think a cool possible solution would to be to have them as almost like a new special move - you pick your character, then, from a second menu, select an assist trophy to go with it, that could then be activated during battle when certain conditions are met (maybe there can be a super meter or something). Some could produce attacks, some could aid recovery, whatever. This would allow a character like Roy to come back, and be in a bigger role than he could possibly be in now, but without actually taking up a proper character slot.

This would also be an interesting way of implementing that customisation focus that Sakurai seemed to want - you could have four people playing as Mario, but they could all be different thanks to having different assists.

KevinCow

Banned
For Pokemon Trainer, replace his Pokeymen with a starter from Gen 2, a second form from Gen 3, and a third form from Gen 4.

I say Cyndaquil, Grovyle, and Empoleon.

Though Cyndaquil, Marshtomp, and Torterra would also be cool. I want to play as a turtle with a damn tree on his back.

I'd be in favor of this. I hate how assist trophies are essentially just pokeballs right now.

Macka

I'd be fine with these characters getting cut:

- Lucario (replace with Mewtwo plz)
- Jigglypuff
- Pokemon Trainer (replace the Pokemon with Gen 6 starters plz)
- Falco (Wolf fills the villain role)
- Ike (Chrom can replace him)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd be fine with these characters getting cut:

- Lucario (replace with Mewtwo plz)
- Jigglypuff
- Pokemon Trainer (replace the Pokemon with Gen 6 starters plz)
- Falco (Wolf fills the villain role)
- Ike (Chrom can replace him)

It would be sad to see Jigglypuff to go. I love to playing around with Roll Out and Rest.

Darryl

Banned

Assist Trophies were confusing to me for awhile. i still don't fully understand them. i didn't do any research on Brawl before going to play it so it took me awhile to figure out what those items were doing at all. it was much less obvious than Pokeballs. Pokeballs were clear as day because the monsters it spawns all have consistency. i noticed when playing with friends that they wouldn't make a dash for those trophies like they would the pokeballs. anyways i can't imagine that they haven't thought this over and it must be something they've received comments over so i think we'll see the system changed up some, which makes me think you could be onto something. the people from tekken are working on it now and i'm sure they're familiar with tag-style mechanics.

this could be a really good way of making all of the smaller characters like Isaac get the credit they deserve without having yet another sword user thrown in. maybe it could even replace the final smash?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Assist Trophies were confusing to me for awhile. i still don't fully understand them. i didn't do any research on Brawl before going to play it so it took me awhile to figure out what those items were doing at all. it was much less obvious than Pokeballs. Pokeballs were clear as day because the monsters it spawns all have consistency. i noticed when playing with friends that they wouldn't make a dash for those trophies like they would the pokeballs. anyways i can't imagine that they haven't thought this over and it must be something they've received comments over so i think we'll see the system changed up some, which makes me think you could be onto something. the people from tekken are working on it now and i'm sure they're familiar with tag-style mechanics.

this could be a really good way of making all of the smaller characters like Isaac get the credit they deserve without having yet another sword user thrown in. maybe it could even replace the final smash?

Eh, keep that tag style out of the game or add the feature to one of new modes because I fear that would change what the Smash supposedly to be.

I think Assist Trophies are fine as it is since my friends and I had to fight over assist trophies because we don't want to let each other to claim it. Only because we fear that they would get very good assists.

Darryl

Banned
Eh, keep that tag style out of the game or add the feature to one of new modes because I fear that would change what the Smash supposedly to be.

I think Assist Trophies are fine as it is since my friends and I had to fight over assist trophies because we don't want to let each other to claim it. Only because we fear that they would get very good assists.

what about having them replace the final smash though? it was annoying that I always played Link and had to deal with his horrible Smash. it would've been much cooler if I got to pick it myself out of a list. this could also add another dimension to professional play because you can have situation where your main character counters their main character, but their final smash counters yours. i don't know how exactly it could work but i imagine it'd be possible somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom