• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Pokemon Trainer is expendable.

Well, outside of the fact the Pokemon Trainer actually represents the player character for once (a concept I have a hard time believing they'd introduce for one game and then remove), this would be akin to cutting three characters, not one, and I really don't see that happening.

Village

Oh yeah, lake-quaza.

What the hell is up with that? Then again if it's "kid playing with toys" angle, the kid must be stupid.

I think Pokemon Trainer is expendable.

Damn right, nothing better than fighting Pokemon Lucifer.

big

On the level front. Want a pokemon dreamworld level.

Happy dreams have certain types of Pokemon, certain legendaries appear there. Pink and white themed.

Nightmare levels have certain types of Pokemon and legendaries , dark blue and purple themes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well, outside of the fact the Pokemon Trainer actually represents the player character for once, this would be akin to cutting three characters, not one, and I really don't see that happening.

They made the "player character" vague enough that he can be replaced with another trainer as well as his Pokemon.

Hell, considering how much Cynthia is shown lately, why not just replace him with Cynthia and have a team of Garchomp, Spiritomb and Milotic.

Ryce

The first generation Pokémon Trainer and his starters are very iconic. I'd be pretty mad to see them replaced.

They made the "player character" vague enough that he can be replaced with another trainer as well as his Pokemon.

Hell, considering how much Cynthia is shown lately, why not just replace him with Cynthia and have a team of Garchomp, Spiritomb and Milotic.

I just really doubt they will cut three characters to just replace them with three more. That's three times as much work than I can see realistically happening.

These Pokemon the Pokemon Trainer uses aren't like one-third characters. They are, for all intents and purposes, full characters. Cutting them and then replacing them wholesale would take a lot more time and resources than cutting one character and replacing them.

Boss Doggie

The first generation Pokémon Trainer and his starters are very iconic. I'd be pretty mad to see them replaced.
Except this isn't "First Generation" Pokemon Trainer. He is modeled after the remake, which is considered Gen 3... to which I like. Thank goodness they aren't pulling human designs prior. Deformed children with pointy chins are the last thing I want to see in Smash.

His starters aren't "iconic". Maybe Zard to those 90's kids, but the rest aren't.

I just really doubt they will cut three characters to just replace them with three more. That's three times as much work than I can see realistically happening.

These Pokemon the Pokemon Trainer uses aren't like one-third characters. They are, for all intents and purposes, full characters. Cutting them and then replacing them wholesale would take a lot more time and resources than cutting one character and replacing them.

Then why replace in the first place? Again, Pokemon is big enough to warrant more slots.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
With that said, Sakurai is weird with choices, so who knows. However, what I am saying is that Lucario may or may not make it in or something, it's not because of popularity or relevance because he sure isn't unpopular or irrelevant.

Eh, I don't think Sakurai made any decision with anything that involved with Pokemon but I could be wrong.

Then why replace in the first place? Again, Pokemon is big enough to warrant more slots.

I'm not saying one will be. (why do I have to keep repeating this?)

I'm just saying that if, if, one was to be cut, no way would Pokemon Trainer be cut before the likes of Lucario and Jigglypuff.

Oh yeah, lake-quaza.

What the hell is up with that? Then again if it's "kid playing with toys" angle, the kid must be stupid.

Probably. Lake-quaza knows moves that its Ray-cousins can't learn (i.e. Dig or Twister). Maybe Lake-quaza is just a totally different Pokémon altogether and was incorrectly indentified!

Also, I'd be fine with Jigglypuff being replaced by another stock "cute" Pokémon such as Sylveon or Cinccino.

Or Snubbull because reasons.

Boss Doggie

I bet it's one of those stupid children who think legendaries could do anything so he plays the trophies like that.

I'm not saying one will be. (why do I have to keep repeating this?)

I'm just saying that if, if, one was to be cut, no way would Pokemon Trainer be cut before the likes of Lucario and Jigglypuff.

Ahh but then one could argue the same thing with Mewtwo right, yet ended up being "late".

Eh, I don't think Sakurai made any decision with anything that involved with Pokemon but I could be wrong.

He seems to ask the original team of each series first

Ryce

Except this isn't "First Generation" Pokemon Trainer. He is modeled after the remake, which is considered Gen 3...
But it's the same character ("Red"), which is what I'm getting at. Mario has F.L.U.D.D. but he's still the same Mario who appeared in the '80s games. Fox has a new design but he's still the same Fox from the original SNES game.

Boss Doggie

But it's the same character ("Red"), which is what I'm getting at. Mario has F.L.U.D.D. but he's still the same Mario who appeared in the '80s games. Fox has a new design but he's still the same Fox from the original SNES game.

Part of the "charm" is the design of him in Gen 1 or some shit like that.

Ahh but then one could argue the same thing with Mewtwo right, yet ended up being "late".

How so? The only Pokemon that made the transition from Melee to Brawl were the two from the original. Pichu didn't make it in over Mewtwo. Neither of them made it. They were both the weakest links there--Pichu for being a newcomer clone that proved to be pretty unpopular as a Smash character and Mewtwo for losing to Jigglypuff's seniority.

I don't see how this is comparable. Are you arguing that Pokemon Trainer and Lucario are the weakest links together?

Boss Doggie

How so? The only Pokemon that made the transition from Melee to Brawl were the two from the original. Pichu didn't make it in over Mewtwo. Neither of them made it. They were both the weakest links there--Pichu for being a newcomer clone that proved to be pretty unpopular as a Smash character and Mewtwo for losing to Jigglypuff's seniority.

I don't see how this is comparable. Are you arguing that Pokemon Trainer and Lucario are the weakest links together?

No, I was arguing for Mewtwo's sake that he was also popular, yet ended up being "late" for development.

Boss Doggie

But I was arguing that the Pokemon Trainer is irreplaceable because he's three characters instead of one and that's more work than I see as realistically happening.

...I give up.

I was arguing prior to that, the whole idea on "if" they were going to be replaced to begin with.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You guys do know that Pokemon is a big enough franchise to warrant more representative much like Mario right?.
Well if only they had a way of representing a whole load of Pokémon. Would be cool if they introduced a Pokéball item so one could summon those who didn't make it as a fighter.

Boss Doggie

Well if only they had a way of representing a whole load of Pokémon. Would be cool if they introduced a Pokéball item so one could summon those who didn't make it as a fighter.

Yeah because summoning them is as fun as playing them!

I'm not against the idea, but obviously being represented as a playable Pokemon is a step up.

qq more

interesting toast discussion. anyway the next game should have a more un-realistic roster like this:

iZS5uenuPCi5G.PNG

Please no! Let Smash Bros be Smash Bros. And on a side note, Smash Flash is a horrible game. Very unplayable to the point I think 06 plays better. Yuck.

SmithnCo

His starters aren't "iconic". Maybe Zard to those 90's kids, but the rest aren't.

Huh? They have to be some of the most recognizable Pokemon, especially to the more casual set.

And I really doubt we'll see any other Pokemon trainers, that's three new characters they have to model and make moves for. I don't see them doing that for anything but the first-gen trainer.

Boss Doggie

Huh? They have to be some of the most recognizable Pokemon, especially to the more casual set.

And I really doubt we'll see any other Pokemon trainers, that's three new characters they have to model and make moves for. I don't see them doing that for anything but the first-gen trainer.

Casual set is vague, it can refer to people new into Pokemon who plays Smash too you know?

And like I said, it's a moot argument going around in circles since one argument leads to another and back.

Village

I heard that the pichu from melee is the pikachu from brawl.

SmithnCo

People who don't even play Pokemon will recognize the first gen starters.

As far as Pokemon goes I don't think they'll add reps from other gens just for the hell of it, when you already have characters who are more well-known and historically significant. Which the first-gen trainer is, much moreso than third-gen or Cynthia or something. I don't see them adding another trainer next to the first one either because that's a shitload of work for one franchise. That's my reasoning anyway, for not expecting another trainer or random Pokemon from other gens.

Gattuso

I think we should try and get some discussion in the SSB4 Roster Contest.

I hate to see Intelliheath's work go to waste and less people participate in it due to it not being active.
yea I probably should have started this discussion in that thread instead of this one.
I've played flash games that controls way better! Smash Flash is on a whole league of unplayable.
I was just joking about smash flash we need some more non-well known Nintendo characters in the next one to get see the spotlight again. and that game is unplayable to the point of where most of the computers just kill themselves within 10 seconds I don't even have to move.

The only cuts I could see happening are Sonic, Snake and to a much lesser extent, Ike. As for Lucario, given that I firmly believe that we're getting seven Pokémon and that there's no newcomers to threaten Lucario's spot (not as a replacement mind you, but perhaps making Lucario a victim of time), I really can't see him going although I understand why there's doubt.
I just realized that this is a chance for Digimon to be in Smash
That'd be cool to see, but we're unfortunately stuck with Pac-Man if we get a Namco rep.

That said, a Digimon would make a great Snake-like reveal.
interesting toast discussion. anyway the next game should have a more un-realistic roster like this:

iZS5uenuPCi5G.PNG
Eww at anime characters, especially at Naruto. If Sakurai even dares put Naruto in Smash, I will not buy it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wouldn't we end up going offtopic if we discuss in Smash 4 Guessing Game thread?

I think it would be very safe if we would discuss mostly on stages, characters, items, AT and Poke Balls because they are related with prediction contest.

Welp, I should probably edit my roster a bit then, pretty obvious Takamaru's getting into SSB4 at this rate.

We're allowed to dick around with our submissions before the June cut-off point, right IntelliHeath?

Like DaBoss said, yes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If that roster's even half right, then I'll buy a hundred copies and mail them out to underprivelaged children all over the world because I will have found the secret to happiness.

I'm surprised since it don't have Scrafty. :p

I finally made my roster.

It's very much a "this is what I want" roster, rather than a prediction but oh well hehe.

Pretty good overall but why Masked Man and Lucas at once since they are same person right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom