• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
And We'll go through whole Smash Cycle under than 3 hours or less.

Melee was better -> Death to Lucario ('cause he deifinitely replaced Mewtwo) -> Remove Wolf/Falco -> Ridley'd better be in -> Geno'd better be in -> Pokémon argument #5357 -> Brawl sucks -> Melee was better

Did I miss anything?

Brawl is a better package then Melee, but Melee had the better fighting. It's why I constantly shake my head at Project M. They had ONE JOB (putting Melee physics in Brawl), and they fucked it up by going "hey, let's go and change up everyone's moves."

SmithnCo

There'll probably be five threads about it. Then a couple LTTP: Smash 4 Trailer threads. The trailer will also be nominated Game of the Year.

Brawl is a better package then Melee, but Melee had the better fighting. It's why I constantly shake my head at Project M. They had ONE JOB (putting Melee physics in Brawl), and they fucked it up by going "hey, let's go and change up everyone's moves."

This is kind of how I feel. I would care about Project M more if they took a more minimalist route and just tried to make Brawl's gameplay more Melee-like. I don't really like how they basically tried to make their own game out of Brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Melee was better -> Death to Lucario ('cause he deifinitely replaced Mewtwo) -> Remove Wolf/Falco -> Ridley'd better be in -> Geno'd better be in -> Pokémon argument #5357 -> Brawl sucks -> Melee was better

Did I miss anything?

Fire Emblem arguments, Ridley Size Issues, Clones, etc.

There'll probably be five threads about it. Then a couple LTTP: Smash 4 Trailer threads. The trailer will also be nominated Game of the Year.

I hope that they will have super thread for Dojo update only because it would be silly to have new thread almost every night/morning.

DaBoss

I feel the only thing Project M nailed is speed, everything else was just meh.

Smash 4 will be the beginning of idiotgeddon from fans. Smashboards will enter into hell's territory (it's okay now, but things will get horrible once people who have no idea what they're talking about makes up the majority of that thread). NeoGAFs will be somewhat of a haven for SSB4 discussion.
GamerSoul said:
I just want to see some newcomers and some gamplay first and foremost to spark some good discussion.
I'm also curious about several things about characters:
- Will third-parties return (assuming one fails to show up at E3)?
- Will Snake and Sonic return?
- Will cuts occur?

I also look forward to Sakurai's commentary on the new things he introduces in the trailer. Hopefully it can beat Brawl's epic E3 2006 trailer because Nintendo needs to give everything they got to win back fans.

I really hope a confirmation on Snake and Sonic is made really early on, positive or negative, because I don't want to sit through an awful "will they or won't they" with them considering what unknowns they are.

EDIT: I also really hope we aren't drip fed no-brainer veterans like Donkey Kong and Yoshi like we were with Brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope a confirmation on Snake and Sonic is made really early on, positive or negative, because I don't want to sit through an awful "will they or won't they" with them considering what unknowns they are.

EDIT: I also really hope we aren't drip fed no-brainer veterans like Donkey Kong and Yoshi like we were with Brawl.

I want them to give the answer on status of snake and sonic this E3, but I'm sure that they wouldn't.

oh lord the memories of talking to some people assuming DK was cut and Yoshi was demoted to item-status because of the 2006 trailer are flooding back

Can we just safely assume everybody in SSB64 is untouchable now? If Ness/Jigglypuff were going to get the boot, they would have by now but haven't.

Yeah, that does sound weird.

But it made me think....

...what if the primary announcer really was a girl this time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnod2P8eic

Reminds me of a feature in the One Piece Grand Battle where you could unlock character announcers, that would be cool.

Also, I'd say Palutena and Takamaru are my most anticipated newcomers. I want to believe in Mega Man, but I just don't have the faith to believe, unless Sakurai himself is gunning for him.

GamerSoul

Smash 4 will be the beginning of idiotgeddon from fans. Smashboards will enter into hell's territory (it's okay now, but things will get horrible once people who have no idea what they're talking about makes up the majority of that thread). NeoGAFs will be somewhat of a haven for SSB4 discussion.I'm also curious about several things about characters:
- Will third-parties return (assuming one fails to show up at E3)?
- Will Snake and Sonic return?
- Will cuts occur?

I also look forward to Sakurai's commentary on the new things he introduces in the trailer. Hopefully it can beat Brawl's epic E3 2006 trailer because Nintendo needs to give everything they got to win back fans.

If those questions aren't answered in the trailer, I hope Sakurai will answer them shortly there after. No reason to hide that from us. And if there's anybody who could create a trailer to top Brawl's it's Sakurai. I hate to keep repeating this but nintendo could really benefit from Smash having a great showing along with their other reveals.

Tyeforce

Can we just safely assume everybody in SSB64 is untouchable now? If Ness/Jigglypuff were going to get the boot, they would have by now but haven't.
I wouldn't be so sure about Jigglypuff. Game data from Brawl suggests that she may have been a late addition to the game, so it's likely that she was almost cut.

I want them to give the answer on status of snake and sonic this E3, but I'm sure that they wouldn't.
If Snake and Sonic are cut and it isn't announced until close to release, I'll be pretty mad at Sakurai. Not because of the cuts themselves (due to third-party status, I can understand), but having to listen to a bunch of whiny fanboys complain to seemingly no end about how it "ruins the game" and this is coming from someone who really wants Snake and Sonic back. It'd be inevitable either way, but forcing us to wait until such close release would only make things worse.
Also, I'd say Palutena and Takamaru are my most anticipated newcomers. I want to believe in Mega Man, but I just don't have the faith to believe, unless Sakurai himself is gunning for him.
Palutena and Takamaru will probably be revealed at E3, so you may have less than a month's waiting left.

Mega Man is a more difficult question to answer due to third-party status and Capcom not contacting Sakurai about Mega Man for Smash (although I doubt they would be against having Mega Man in), but if Sakurai is going to go after any third-party, it will almost certainly be Mega Man. With Mega Man probably being the most wanted newcomer for the next game and being popular ever since the pre-Melee days according to Sakurai, I think there's a good chance that Sakurai will pursue Mega Man's inclusion (assuming third-parties return).

I bet we'll know what the deal with Sonic and Snake is by the time the trailer is shown. I'm sure they'll be in the first trailer, and if they aren't, Sakurai or someone will probably just come out and say they aren't in the game.

Anth0ny

I think that was the original plan, but some of the moves in Brawl just didn't with Melee physics.

I still think Melee is the better package than Brawl. Brawl has quantity. More stages. More characters. More music. More modes. Longer single player.

Melee is all about quality. Melee's fully orchestrated soundtrack, versus Brawl's soundtrack that consists mostly of tracks ripped straight from their original game. Brawl's forgettable, bland, Adventure mode that was horribly paced versus Melee's short and sweet Adventure mode that *shock* had stages from memorable Nintendo games! Melee's break the targets is superior. Melee's had more event matches, and they were better (Giga Bowser/Mewtwo/Ganondorf in the final Melee event match versus... Giant Mario/Snake/Sonic in the final Brawl event match? the fuck?)

I'm not even going to get into the competitive side of things. Brawl is an unbalanced mess, unfortunately. Versus Melee, a metagame that is still evolving to this very day.

It still blows my mind how rushed Brawl feels when I go back and look at it. Even after two delays. I get the feeling they dedicated a TON of resources to SSE, and stuff like Event Matches, Break the Targets, and hitbox testing (hello Snake's up tilt) suffered as a result. I pray to Sakurai that they've learned from this experience and realize that single player in a Smash Bros game isn't worth all that work.

As for character cutting in Smash 4... I think the original 12 are safe at this point, even Jiggs and Ness.

The better question is... will Sheik make the cut?

sakurai pls ; _ ;

I bet we'll know what the deal with Sonic and Snake is by the time the trailer is shown. I'm sure they'll be in the first trailer, and if they aren't, Sakurai or someone will probably just come out and say they aren't in the game.
I have a hard time seeing Snake and Sonic at E3 even if they do return. I don't expect us to get more than one third-party character in the trailer and I think Sakurai will focus on a new third-party rather than a veteran. Snake and Sonic will probably be Dojo reveals or held back until the end.
I think that was the original plan, but some of the moves in Brawl just didn't with Melee physics.

I still think Melee is the better package than Brawl. Brawl has quantity. More stages. More characters. More music. More modes. Longer single player.

Melee is all about quality. Melee's fully orchestrated soundtrack, versus Brawl's soundtrack that consists mostly of tracks ripped straight from their original game. Brawl's forgettable, bland, Adventure mode that was horribly paced versus Melee's short and sweet Adventure mode that *shock* had stages from memorable Nintendo games! Melee's break the targets is superior. Melee's had more event matches, and they were better (Giga Bowser/Mewtwo/Ganondorf in the final Melee event match versus... Giant Mario/Snake/Sonic in the final Brawl event match? the fuck?)

I'm not even going to get into the competitive side of things. Brawl is an unbalanced mess, unfortunately. Versus Melee, a metagame that is still evolving to this very day.

It still blows my mind how rushed Brawl feels when I go back and look at it. Even after two delays. I get the feeling they dedicated a TON of resources to SSE, and stuff like Event Matches, Break the Targets, and hitbox testing (hello Snake's up tilt) suffered as a result. I pray to Sakurai that they've learned from this experience and realize that single player in a Smash Bros game isn't worth all that work.

As for character cutting in Smash 4... I think the original 12 are safe at this point, even Jiggs and Ness.

sakurai pls ; _ ;
Hopefully they'll relegate the story to the 3DS version since that's going to be more single-player and keep the "story" mode in the Wii-U version to something similar to Melee. More humor in the story would be nice as well.

I wouldn't worry about Sheik getting cut. There really isn't any reasons for Sheik to go at this point and many more people prefer Sheik over Impa at any time (who is semi-commonly suggested as Sheik's replacement for flimsy reasons).

Yeah, Brawl's Break the Targets is completely useless. It's supposed to be a mode that measures your efficiency with a specific character, which is thrown out the window when you make a generic stage that's supposed to accommodate for 39 different moving and attacking styles. And don't even get me started on Homerun Contest. I know Melee had exploits to break it, but adding walls? That's defeating the entire point!

I like Brawl, but every single-player attraction in the game was a mess.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I disagree on music. Melee suffered from being all "orchestrated" that it doesn't fit the action theme of the game. And sure Brawl has some "ripped" music, but it has better music in general. For instance, it has the best Pokemon Theme.

Also, I disagree on Melee's adventure mode... if only because it has like... 3 real adventure modes (Link maze, Mario stage, and the explosion part of Metroid). The rest are just essentially Classic Mode.

And Brawl actually took time to make sure their characters play differently, even the clone ones, unlike Melee's intentional copy paste job.

Thank you for expressing my grief on that game, beef.

Instead of "mod Brawl to have Melee physics", it's "let's change Brawl into the Smash fandom dick-waving material and show those folks whose boss because I have better ideas!"

Speaking of music, I still have no idea what Smash 4 is gonna do for its soundtrack.

As tempting as it might be to fill a lot of the slots with Brawl's top songs, I want the soundtrack to be as new as possible so that things don't feel too "retready." But a lot of Nintendo's most memorable songs were remixed to what seems like absolute perfection in Brawl, so I can't help but fear that we may be reaching the point of diminishing returns in that area...

I guess we'll see.

SmithnCo

Yeah, Brawl's Break the Targets is completely useless. It's supposed to be a mode that measures your efficiency with a specific character, which is thrown out the window when you make a generic stage that's supposed to accommodate for 39 different moving and attacking styles. And don't even get me started on Homerun Contest. I know Melee had exploits to break it, but adding walls? That's defeating the entire point!

I like Brawl, but every single-player attraction in the game was a mess.

True. They need to bring back individual target tests, those were great in teaching you how to use each character and try out their different mobility options and attacks. I wouldn't mind platforms coming back either but those were basically a target variation.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope Classic mode gets revamped so it's actually fun to play through more than once. And considering the amount of character lets hope they drop the play through mode x with every character requirement.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since this is from "Brawl in the Family", I'll post it here

2013-05-14-soniceyes.jpg

Speaking of music, I still have no idea what Smash 4 is gonna do for its soundtrack.

As tempting as it might be to fill a lot of the slots with Brawl's top songs, I want the soundtrack to be as new as possible so that things don't feel too "retready." But a lot of Nintendo's most memorable songs were remixed to what seems like absolute perfection in Brawl, so I can't help but fear that we may be reaching the point of diminishing returns in that area...

I guess we'll see.

I noticed when playing Uprising that all the composers for the soundtrack also did stuff for Brawl. I was thinking, get the same group together with maybe a couple of the HAL composers like Shogo Sakai and make as much of the music using a live orchestra as possible like Melee, and throw in some unlockable original tracks like Brawl.

Heropon

About the music, I hope they let the player choose which songs do they want to hear in each stage from all the soundtrack.

In Brawl, for example, they hoarded all the Kirby songs in the Halberd when some of them were more fitting of other stages: Frozen Hillside in the Summit or Nature Area in Green Greens. And there are cases of strange music selection: Two Vs. Ridley songs in Frigate Orpheon and zero in Norfair.

That isn't much to ask, isn't it?

NeonZ

Melee's fully orchestrated soundtrack, versus Brawl's soundtrack that consists mostly of tracks ripped straight from their original game.

So, somehow, throwing extra tracks on top of the remixes is a problem? Melee fans bitter about Brawl are funny.

Also, regarding event matches, don't forget that they also added co-op event matches, which were a separate set from the single player ones, and had those difficulty variations. Those two additions by themselves show why there were less single player event matches. It had nothing to do with external factors, but a change of focus of the mode's design.

It still blows my mind how rushed Brawl feels when I go back and look at it. Even after two delays. I get the feeling they dedicated a TON of resources to SSE, and stuff like Event Matches, Break the Targets, and hitbox testing (hello Snake's up tilt) suffered as a result.

I really don't think Subspace Emissary was the main issue there. Level design was mostly outsourced if you look at the credits, it also didn't share assets with the main game so it likely was mostly moved independently - only the Halberd appears there, and it's also one of the earliest created assets for the game. Item positioning was mostly random.

Aside from health recovery, no part of SSE ever seemed to take specific items into account for its design, or even specific abilities of any character (the closest thing to that being some areas designed for wall jumps). I get the impression that SSE was specifically designed in a way that its development wouldn't be a roadblock for the main game and characters, and the other way around too. Nothing in the main game was tied to SSE. They didn't even include SSE locations are multiplayer stages. I think that's why the level design ended up so generic.

Of course, that's gameplay-wise, I really don't understand why they didn't go with obvious Nintendo themes for the stage designs anyway, even if they were different from the multiplayer stage - there's this one area that's a florest with dark and yellow versions, and changes in one side affect another. It seems obviously based on the Lost Woods from Zelda, but it's never named as such or use any design that comes specifically from Zelda. Or how about when Bowser's secret fortress is discovered with tons of his troops and... it's just a... random cave - which is filled with his troops, but has absolutely no background design based on the Mario games? Or the Ice Climbers' debut stage which is a very high vertical scrolling level in a frozen montain... but it's just a random frozen montain in spite of the obvious inspiration on their game.

Sheik stayed even after being phased out of Zelda. Nothing has changed since then.

In Brawl, for example, they hoarded all the Kirby songs in the Halberd when some of them were more fitting of other stages: Frozen Hillside in the Summit or Nature Area in Green Greens.

Summit wasn't a Kirby stage though, and Green Greens was considered a classic stage, so it only had classic bgms... Halberd got all the songs because it was the only new Kirby stage in the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm quite clearly not a Melee fan bitter about Brawl but even I have said I'm not a fan of how they just shoved a bunch of imported songs willy nilly into the game. If a bit more thought went into them I wouldn't mind but many sounded out of place.

Village

I'm quite clearly not a Melee fan bitter about Brawl but even I have said I'm not a fan of how they just shoved a bunch of imported songs willy nilly into the game. If a bit more thought went into them I wouldn't mind but many sounded out of place.

I do not see how its a problem. Orchestrating the songs on the sonic and snake stages would have ruined them.

They redid what was necessary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sonic's selection was pure laziness. The only arrangement wasn't even made for the game, but was some a music CD Sega released. Part of the appeal is to hear recognisable songs in a new way. I don't need to hear Green Hill Zone played in the same way again. Where's the fun in that? Orchestral is the easy way to go (which is why is it often requested), but seeing as many soundtracks already have an orchestral flair I'd like to see other genres get represented.

Village

Sonic's selection was pure laziness. The only arrangement wasn't even made for the game, but was some a music CD Sega released. Part of the appeal is to hear recognisable songs in a new way. I don't need to hear Green Hill Zone played in the same way again. Where's the fun in that? Orchestral is the easy way to go (which is why is it often requested), but seeing as many soundtracks already have an orchestral flair I'd like to see other genres get represented.

I just do not agree.
It would have ruined that stage. Why even orchestrate live and learn. Why would you even do that.

The only musical issue I have with the game is .

1) why didn't they use the version of snake eater with words
2) why didn't they use the long version of snake eater with words.

Heropon

Summit wasn't a Kirby stage though, and Green Greens was considered a classic stage, so it only had classic bgms... Halberd got all the songs because it was the only new Kirby stage in the game.

I know why the music selection was made the way it was but I'd have preferred having certain themes in other stages because they fit better there even if they aren't from the same series. That's why I want them to allow more options in that aspect.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just do not agree.
It would have ruined that stage. Why even orchestrate live and learn. Why would you even do that.
Did you even read my last bit? I said I didn't just want orchestral music. They could make a jazzy rendition of Live and Learn, maybe salsa or god forbid dubstep. In my opinion Live and Learn (and most of the Sonic collection) didn't suit the stage in their non arranged form and really should have been arranged.

Or as Fire Emblem's theme clearly demonstrated all songs should be done in Latin Opera.

Habes hic valere
Custodite spiritum vestrum vivere certamine habes
Et reliquit nihil sentiant et ut pro
At prompta proelia facit super nos

Ego sentire vim sentire
Cum eum cogito,
Timor non video, nihil dolere

Aeterna heros ille erit mihi
(Melius credatis novit iter)
Et non tantum pro hac nocte,

Et iam non sum somniare
(Et ego scio quod got suus obtinuit)
Et non tantum pro hac nocte,

NeonZ

I really don't see how there wasn't thought put into them. It's not like you got tracks of different series randomly mixed together, aside from some specific exceptions that generally made sense, like some system bgms in that pictochat stage.

I guess the selection of track remixes vs original bgms compared to the stages was kind of random - like how we didn't get a Mario Sunshine remix in spite of having a Sunshine stage, but that's not really any better in Melee. Melee had no theme from Majora's Mask in spite of the Majora stage, had mixed up the bgms of the Star Fox stages, had no Mario 64 themes, among other things. In fact, that's why I kind of prefer Brawl's take. Even if they aren't remixes, I like having the correct themes as options.

Sonic's selection was pure laziness. The only arrangement wasn't even made for the game, but was some a music CD Sega released.

Don't forget that Sonic's entire inclusion was made late into development. If anything, Sonic (and his stage) by themselves were one of the main reasons for the delays. I guess the composers for Brawl's remixes were contacted before Sonic's inclusion was decided.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well take for example the Map screen/Bonus Room music from Donkey Kong Country. Not only does it not suit the fighting game mood (let alone the fact that stage is pretty frantic), but the transition is terrible. Now you could point out that it is actually a very clever song because in Donkey Kong Land the map screen uses the Bonus Room music from Donkey Kong Country, but at the end of the day it is still a poor choice.

I'd have to listen to the soundtrack again to remember exactly which tunes I felt felt out of place, but I just feel that the soundtrack would have benefitted from being smaller but more focused. When, as you said, Super Mario Sunshine's stage didn't even get an arrangement from the game it is based on you start to wonder what happened behind the scenes.

At least we got awesome stuff like this.

NeonZ

When, as you said, Super Mario Sunshine's stage didn't even get an arrangement from the game it is based on you start to wonder what happened behind the scenes.

I can't look at the site right now because I'm at work, but I think the original announcement about all the people working on the remixes for Brawl kind of implied that they chose what they were going to do, which is likely why the remixes sometimes don't line up with the stage selection.

Board The Platforms
Break The Targets (64/Melee's style)
Race To The Finish (Melee's style)

all of them needs to come back

I always thought it was funny in a sad way how people kept wanting them to bring Board the Platforms back in Brawl and not only did they end up not bringing it back, but they dropped Race to the Finish as well and severely neutered Break the Targets.

The melee purists, or the tourny happy people make up a small percentage of the people who actually buy smash bros. Their opinions in the end are kind of meaningless.

I was joking. I don't have anything against any particular group of Smash fans, and I just tune out the ones whose opinions I don't care for.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess that confirms that neither Mewtwo or Lucario are getting in. Can't have two "kamehameha" blasting fighters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
True. They need to bring back individual target tests, those were great in teaching you how to use each character and try out their different mobility options and attacks. I wouldn't mind platforms coming back either but those were basically a target variation.

Board The Platforms
Break The Targets (64/Melee's style)
Race To The Finish (Melee's style)

all of them needs to come back

They must bring character specific Break the Targets if they didn't then it will be crime.

Hahahah Goku

GOKU 4 BRAWL

I'm so against Goku being in SSB4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom