• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
this.

I still play Tenkaichi 3 to this day (although on Dolphin in 1080p). It's kind of funny if you use the wiimote and nunchuk because if you do the spirit bomb, the cord will wack you in the face.

I also still play it often. Wrecking my friends with Super Buu always puts a smile on my face (BIG TREE CANNON!).

Anyone still play brawl random online? I just decide to randomly jump online in brawl after not playing for like two years and finally found two dudes after searching for a long as time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking about Pokémon, my sauce gave some new information. When I finished my meal the remnants of it were formed in such a way that through the ancient art of sauce reading I could see that Pokémon Stadium 3 will be a new stage in the next Smash.

Gattuso

Anyone still play brawl random online? I just decide to randomly jump online in brawl after not playing for like two years and finally found two dudes after searching for a long as time.

I didn't know people still played online, I haven't touch the online mode in ages.

I didn't know people still played online, I haven't touch the online mode in ages.

The online is still kicking, if you know where to look. "All is Brawl" is probably the easiest place to find an online game, but the community there is a giant cesspool, far worse than any Gamefaqs thread.

KevinCow

Banned
Someone talked about trying to do randoms online a couple years ago.

He got into a match with three other players, and all they did was continually taunt.

Until he hit one of them. Then they teamed up, destroyed him... then went right back to taunting.

SmithnCo

Someone talked about trying to do randoms online a couple years ago.

He got into a match with three other players, and all they did was continually taunt.

Until he hit one of them. Then they teamed up, destroyed him... then went right back to taunting.

This was pretty much my experience a few months ago. It's like some weird limbo where people teabag and taunt constantly.

qq more

That is still a thing apparently

...and someone wrote to Sakurai about that

...and then Sakurai made a statement about it

...and then somehow people took what he said out of context going SAKURAI IS TRYING TO REMOVE COMPETITIVE SMASH FROM ONLINE

KevinCow

Banned
There should be a Taunt Mode in the next Smash.

You win by taunting the most.

Getting hit out of a taunt doesn't count.

Bonus points for taunt variation.

Village

I can I guess. I usually just play local friends because i got mods.

That is still a thing apparently

...and someone wrote to Sakurai about that

...and then Sakurai made a statement about it

...and then somehow people took what he said out of context going SAKURAI IS TRYING TO REMOVE COMPETITIVE SMASH FROM ONLINE

Wait,what?

Village

Smashboards.

5aef357b_1007_FACEPALM_5F00_wrong.jpg

I know there probably have been internal discussions about competitiveness. Since from what I heard they never planed smash to be that competitive in the first place, it just happened to have a bunch of depth. And there have been some arguments that some of the mechanics implemented in brawl were reactions to make it less competitive. So to some degree I can understand that conversation happening.

However , what the hell does telling some idiot that an effing jump character isnt getting into a Nintendo game have to do with any of that.

NeonZ

And in that regard, the stages it presented were better than SSE's extraordinarily generic landscapes. Generic stadium, generic jungle, generic abandoned village, generic desert, generic science base... practically the only stage in that entire game to have any identity was the Halberd, and pretty much every single one played exactly the same, which is something Mêlée did better about - that at least had differing objectives than just "get from Point A to Point B", or added gimmicks to the stages to make that particular goal more interesting (like the F-Zero racers coming by periodically and basically guaranteeing a KO if you weren't in a safe spot at that point). It'd probably have done better to expand on those stages than reusing standard fights akin to what you'd see in Classic Mode, though.

Huh... SSE stages did have different gameplay ideas thrown in too though. There was the statue escape stage, the train cars, barrels, the dark/light world mechanic used in two forest areas, wind pushing against the player making him move automatically to the left/right and making returns from certain directions harder, the area with strong vertical wind pushing the player downwards or upwards, the Ice Climbers' vertical stage, the fairly open elevator stage (which all rooms pretty much available since the start, and the player just had to find the ones with the items/rophies or just the exit if he wanted to finish it at once), auto-scrolling areas, several unique bosses and the Metroid-like Great Labyrinth.

Now, their decision to go with generic landscapes was bad (even the game itself just calls them "Forest", or "Jungle" or "Stadium"), but gameplay-wise it was much beefier than Melee's attempts, and not only in length.

You mean the people who are single-handedly keeping the game relevant in today's scene? The same ones who want Smash to be as good as it can be? The same ones who got the game into EVO this year?

Do you really think that Smash Bros sells due to the competitive scene? The game sells because it's a fun multiplayer game and the later games all came packed with more and more content for single player and even co-op. Losing sight of that really hurt the series.

It's not even a Smash-only thing. Just look at what has been happening to the sales of Capcom's fighters this generation. SF x T was a mess in all senses, not pleasing anyone, but MvC 3/U was well received competitively still was considered a failure in sales. They shouldn't actively attempt to make the game less competitive, but making that the focus just limits your audience.

I can see what sakurai is saying. You don't want a PlayStation all stars.

However, I think he hopes he takes a bit more chances with the 3rd parties.
After commenting on multiple occasions on how third-parties are difficult to fit in, I don't think he will add more than one or two new additions in the next game and I am willing to bet on that. However, there is still room for "surprise" additions to be made. Layton, Cress Albane and Geno are the ones I can see being "surprise" additions, even if the latter two are unlikely.

Village

You can change stances a loooooooot of times in a month, too.

When that actually starts happening, you can tell me.

It's not really long time, but yeah.

Twas humor ma man.

After commenting on multiple occasions on how third-parties are difficult to fit in, I don't think he will add more than one or two new additions in the next game and I am willing to bet on that. However, there is still room for "surprise" additions to be made. Layton, Cress Albane and Geno are the ones I can see being "surprise" additions, even if the latter two are unlikely.

Eh, he made a mention of having characters that make people want to play smash bros. I do not think any of those would apply to be quite honest.

DaBoss

I will never understand the Smash community's want for Geno. Mind you, Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars is a game I haven't played.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I will never understand the Smash community's want for Geno. Mind you, Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars is a game I haven't played.

I did and I want him in the game because of moveset potential. I'm one of the fans that know that it wouldn't happens anyway.

SkyOdin

I played the game in elementary school. It is a simply matter of being a cool character from a game people are nostalgic for. That is the overriding reason for any character's inclusion in Super Smash Bros.

With most of the major, obvious characters already accounted for, the possible inclusion of more obscure or niche characters has become much more likely. I would peg Geno at least on par with Takamaru in terms of recognizability. The big thing holding Geno back is possible (probable?) rights issues.

Geno is in my "I would love this, but I am not expecting it," list.

qq more

Geno would make a good rep for the RPG Marios but yeah I don't think it's happening. Would be cool though.

I just don't like how half of the fans acted so... irrational about the whole thing when he wasn't in Brawl.

Village

I played the game in elementary school. It is a simply matter of being a cool character from a game people are nostalgic for. That is the overriding reason for any character's inclusion in Super Smash Bros.

With most of the major, obvious characters already accounted for, the possible inclusion of more obscure or niche characters has become much more likely. I would peg Geno at least on par with Takamaru in terms of recognizability. The big thing holding Geno back is possible (probable?) rights issues.

Geno is in my "I would love this, but I am not expecting it," list.

Eh, i honestly do not think that many people know who geno is. And that is the problem.

"geno"

* 5 people get hype*

everyone else

"why didnt more popular and notable character insert name here get in"

And they would be right, because a good 7/10 times the character they could name would be more notable than." That one guy in that mario rpg that one time. And not even the best mario rpg."

SkyOdin

Eh, i honestly do not think that many people know who geno is. And that is the problem.

"geno"

* 5 people get hype*

everyone else

"why didnt more popular and notable character insert name here get in"

And they would be right, because a good 7/10 times the character they could name would be more notable than." That one guy in that mario rpg that one time. And not even the best mario rpg."
That is why I pegged him as being on the same level as a character from a Famicom game that never received a sequel and was never released outside Japan.

Village

That is why I pegged him as being on the same level as a character from a Famicom game that never received a sequel and was never released outside Japan.

It would probably be even less because geno wasn't even the main character.

Ness's cowardly dog for smash.

That sounds a bit mean, I am sorry if i sound mean.

Even if Geno is more recognizable than Takamaru (who will probably get in, unfortunately), the difference is that Nintendo Land + Smash 4 will line Takamaru up for some sort of franchise revival ala Kid Icarus.

Geno's not getting shit. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Geno, like pretty much all SMRPG characters, has a fucking terrible character design?

tBK94bE.gif

As hard as I try I can't see that thing in a positive light. Maybe it's because I grew up thinking his nose were his lips and his hair was his nose.

Regardless, just have Paper Mario as the RPG representative and everything'll be good. That is, provided, that TTYD and SPM haven't been retconned from existence already.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
However , what the hell does telling some idiot that an effing jump character isnt getting into a Nintendo game have to do with any of that.
Er... I think you're getting your stories confused. That Twitter conversation had nothing to do with Goku.

And OH GOD we're back to Geno again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom