• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant wait for Pac-Man to be confirmed

OJexH1Q.jpg

Nevermind

I don't want Pac-Man in SSB4 because I fear that they would use that model.

tUKeX1N.jpg

Fixed-ish.

..or maybe this

pac3dthumbsup.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miyamoto has been quoted to saying that Pacman is one of those characters he wishes he came up with.

I wonder if he would have to same stance if he saw NuPac?

Village

Sonics's greens eyes are pretty small part and don't take away from the complete eye design.

It is nothing like the difference between the two Pacman designs.

Gotta be honest. Sounds like the sonic argument.

I wouldn't mind if they used pacman like this.

pacman_sfxt.jpg

Back? oh my friend, we never left the smash cycle, and we never will!

Pacman's eyes are absolutely the issue, he goes from old school charming to looking at me with his dead blue eyes.

He looks like he is showing more emotion that ever, I think that "charm/magic/gaobudigook" might be dare I say it, nothing. He looks more dead with the black eyes, not going to pretend otherwise because lived those years in the 90's once.

It's funny because I always felt he looked fine in SFXT but in that new game he just looks wrong for reasons I can't pinpoint.

Pacman's a character ingrained pretty heavily with more retro stylings, the black eyes seem like a better fit, I stand by this.

McNum

Yeah we're back in Smash Cycle.
Well that's no good. Maybe there's another part we can speculate about to kill time until E3? Like, say... music? It's no exaggeration that Brawl's soundtrack was huge. Remixes, original songs, songs ripped directly from the games represented, and even a few songs from games yet to be released.

So, what do you think will be in Smash 4? We've had the Super Mario Galaxy games, a new Punch-Out!!, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and plenty more games from Nintendo, some with awesome soundtracks, too. To start off some speculation... here's a few songs I expect to hear in Smash 4.

The Super Mario Galaxy theme and Gusty Garden Galaxy. Because if you were to pull songs from that game, those two would be it. A third would be Battle for the Grand Star. If Bowser gets a stage that one becomes a lot more plausible.

For Punch-Out, I'm almost expecting a medley of the various variations of the Punch-Out!! fight theme used in the game. If not, then the main theme

Ballad of the Goddess is in. No ifs there. That was the song from Skyward Sword. Not bad for Zelda's Lullaby played in reverse. Groose's theme might be there, or the final boss fight music.

Xenoblade... has options. You Will Know Our Names, One Who Gets in Our Way, Mechanical Rhythm and God-Slaying Sword are all great candidates. If neither Shulk nor the Monado makes it in, I expect to hear at least one of these as a bonus song for a Fire Emblem or Zelda stage.

Kid Icarus uprising has a very varied soundtrack. Want a fight? Lightning Battle! A heroic theme? The Return of Palutena! And of course, the final battle. Uprising will have something in there, but what really hinges on what stage Pit gets.

And finally, Fire Emblem Awakening, which has the most variations of the Fire Emblem Theme ever. I hope we get "Id (Purpose)" from there. It's the battle version of the Avatar's theme and it has the Brawl lyrics for the Fire Emblem theme part. Really, if you want a song to represent Awakening, this is where you go. Or this. Rock those steel drums, Chrom.

Anyway, maybe this will break the Smash cycle just a little... until someone suggests Geno's theme.

Village

It's funny because I always felt he looked fine in SFXT but in that new game he just looks wrong for reasons I can't pinpoint.

Pacman's a character ingrained pretty heavily with more retro stylings, the black eyes seem like a better fit, I stand by this.

We are going to have to disagree. I feel like their is nothing wrong with a redesign.

But hey what ever.

Also its the mokojun suit. He is riding in a giant robotic mokojin that makes the pac man start noise when you turn it on. That is on my greatest thing ever list.

Well that's no good. Maybe there's another part we can speculate about to kill time until E3? Like, say... music? It's no exaggeration that Brawl's soundtrack was huge. Remixes, original songs, songs ripped directly from the games represented, and even a few songs from games yet to be released.

So, what do you think will be in Smash 4? We've had the Super Mario Galaxy games, a new Punch-Out!!, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and plenty more games from Nintendo, some with awesome soundtracks, too. To start off some speculation... here's a few songs I expect to hear in Smash 4.

*Snipped for space saving*

Anyway, maybe this will break the Smash cycle just a little... until someone suggests Geno's theme.
Summer Fire Emblem theme is so awesome, a shame awakening stops short of doing the whole theme, good idea for ID Purpose taking the opera stylings for the next game, i'd like to see that. Sticking with Awakening I will take the predictable choice and ask for Don't Speak Her Name, music like this in SSB isn't unprecedented considering Midna's Desperate Hour being in Brawl.

Sticking with the soundtracks you singled out...
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
I'm with you for the main theme/credits, Gusty Garden seems like a shoe in as well. I think they could lift the SMG2 version of the SM64 staple Koopa's Road, it's overdue for Smash and at this point might as well be Bowser's main theme.
Buoy Base is another fan favourite that would work for smash, and personally i'd like to see Melty Monster though I don't expect it unless we get a lava filled Bowser stage.

Skyward Sword
For battle themes Koloktos seems to have a pretty popular one that may have a chance. The last version of Ghirahim's theme is another good one, I think both of these far outshine the games actual final boss themes. Outside of battle music, as you said ballad of the goddess is pretty much expected, I don't think SS has much else that would fit aside from the sky theme which is kind of drab and a swerve appearance from the romance theme just because.

Kid Icarus Uprising
No mention of the main theme? Surely it's a shoe in, at least it damn well better be, I love this track.
Also Magnus' theme, if I don't get either of these themes I might just cry. Throw in the standard Boss Battle music and Dark Pit's theme and I think this is a likely batch of tracks with The reapers line of sight as a possible addition that also reps the original game.
Damn Uprising has a killer soundtrack.

I might look at some other recent Nintendo soundtracks later on like Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKCR and others, as for Xenoblade, I can only hope it at least gets a stage even if we don't get a character because there's a lot of Smash worthy music in that soundtrack though none of my favourite themes really fit the fighting, except maybe Mechonis Field.

We are going to have to disagree. I feel like their is nothing wrong with a redesign.

But hey what ever.

Also its the mokojun suit. He is riding in a giant robotic mokojin that makes the pac man start noise when you turn it on. That is on my greatest thing ever list.
That's fine by me.
Also the Mokojun bot had an actual Pac Man map on its back if i'm not mistaken, you had to alter the colours to see it if I recall.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For my sake, I hope that they wouldn't do single Music Update on Dojo, so PLEASE ADD SOMEONE ELSE WITH MUSIC UPDATE!

Edited: if you are going into character discussion, please do it at my roster prediction thread so that way people can see our thread for more people to predict or remind people to finish their own lists.

I hope Wario Land gets more representation music-wise next time around, as opposed to all WarioWare. (Wouldn't mind it if they made his tackle move a bit more obvious as well - people keep saying "oh, that's his side-smash!", but while the pose seems right, it's completely mechanically removed from it - but just having the Land series represented better in music selection would be enough.)

SmithnCo

I hope Wario Land gets more representation music-wise next time around, as opposed to all WarioWare. (Wouldn't mind it if they made his tackle move a bit more obvious as well - people keep saying "oh, that's his side-smash!", but while the pose seems right, it's completely mechanically removed from it - but just having the Land series represented better in music selection would be enough.)

Yeah, ideally I'd like a Land stage and a WaioWare stage.

Throw in a Greenhorn Forest remix for the Land stage too.

The shoulder barge should be a relatively controllable charge move with its duration depending on how long the charge is held, able to go briefly back and forth if needed as well as jump while barging.

Or Wario can just eat things and fart...funny moves but it's not really Wario strictly speaking.

Village

Yeah, ideally I'd like a Land stage and a WaioWare stage.

Throw in a Greenhorn Forest remix for the Land stage too.

Hmm, I would like wario land stage, and wario kind of being the rep for that. And a wario ware stage and another wario ware rep to be the rep for that one.

Also greenhorn forest remix, all of the want.

Also a GOOD mother 3 stage, jeeez.

McNum

"The God-Slaying Sword", actually. <_<
Aw, I thought I had all the links right. Well, it's fixed now. Here, have it again, just to be sure.

Trying to think of other Nintendo games that could have music, and well, speaking of "Other": Vs. Ridley! Ridley's theme was in twice in Brawl, here's the newest one and it's pretty good.

You can point out several flaw with Other M, but having a bad Ridley boss fight music isn't one of them. That fight is probably the best part of the game, too. If Ridley isn't playable, I want that as stage with Ridley himself as the stage hazard. Full size, too. Pretty extreme, but all Metroid stages have had stage hazards so far, let's have an epic one this time.

SmithnCo

I was disappointed New Pork City didn't even attempt to make use of the rides or anything in the city. A ferris wheel might've been interesting.

I'm not sure about Greenhorn Forest but Greenhorn Ruins was remixed as Glittertown, listening to the OST for Shake it/Shake Dimension again, it's pretty good, has a nice jazzy and funky vibe to it a lot of the time alongside more traditional platforming style themes, pretty underrated stuff.
And in reviewing it again i'm thinking we need Launchpad Labyrinth , I completely forgot about this goodness.

Now that I'm not in a meeting, a sampling of some of the Wario Land songs I'd like to see. Obviously not all of these; just pick and choose as needed.

• "Return the Hen to Her Nest". It's basically the same as "Main Theme" from Wario Land: SML3, but I prefer this arrangement. This one has to be in the game in some form or another. The rest are nice, but this is the only one I feel strongly enough to say it has to be in.
  • "Level Theme 2" from Virtual Boy Wario Land. There are seven total, all based on this leitmotif, and this is my favorite of the lot. Not that Nintendo's even gonna give a Virtual Boy game the time of day, but this music is nice.
  • Some combination of "Train Levels" from Wario Land: SML3 and "Stop That Train!" from Wario Land 2. They're similar enough, you could probably mix them.
  • "Up on the Rooftops" from Wario Land 2. Could probably use some bass, I suppose, but I always liked this tune.
  • "Ruins at the Bottom of the Sea" from Wario Land 2. Might add some nice variety to whatever other music a ruins stage gets (probably SML 1-3 again).
  • "The REALLY Final Chapter!" from Wario Land 2. Just in case you needed some extremely foreboding music (although the stage itself, while creepy and kinda difficult, wasn't all that foreboding).
  • "Defeat Four Ducks" from Wario Land 2, in case you need something foreboding, but less sinister.
  • "Out of the Woods (Day)" from Wario Land 3. We covered the theme to Wario Land: SML3 and Wario Land 2; now here's Wario Land 3's theme.
  • "A Town in Chaos (Day)" or "The Big Bridge (Day)", both from Wario Land 3, for potential city stages. Maybe combine them into a medley, I dunno.
  • "Above the Clouds (Night)" from Wario Land 3. Okay, okay, this one is entirely the wrong kind of mood for a Smash Bros. stage, but I'm gonna share it anyway because I friggin' love the tune.
  • "Rudy the Clown" from Wario Land 3 - because of the many boss themes the series has, I think this one would work in Smash Bros. the best.
  • "Toy Block Tower" from Wario Land 4, because it's one of the few tracks from the game I actively remember. Helps that it's pretty good, too. "Toxic Landfill" is the only other one I remember particularly well, but I don't think it's quite as good - at least, not until the rock guitars kick in.
  • "The Fiery Cavern" from Wario Land 4 - not one of the ones I remember well, but it's good enough that I think it'd work.
  • "Hurry Up!" from Wario Land 4. Okay, this is a bit too short to work as a stage music, but maybe if it played a minute or two from the end of a timed round on a stage, a la the Mushroom Kingdom stages from Mêlée?
  • "Greenhorn Ruins" from Wario World. I'm not at all familiar with the game, but y'know, this music's swell, and was apparently good enough to make it into Shake It!. Might as well use it.
  • "Stonecarving City" from Wario Land: Shake It!. Was basically the unofficial theme of Shake It!, even making it into Brawl before any of us even knew Shake It! was coming. I like it. Why not use it?
  • "Shake King Theme". Heck, this final boss theme even already sounds like a Brawl mix. I think it'd work in Smash Bros. proper, as such.

Didn't play Master of Disguise to care what its music was like.

Kid Icarus Uprising
No mention of the main theme? Surely it's a shoe in, at least it damn well better be, I love this track.
Also Magnus' theme, if I don't get either of these themes I might just cry. Throw in the standard Boss Battle music and Dark Pit's theme and I think this is a likely batch of tracks with The reapers line of sight as a possible addition that also reps the original game.
Damn Uprising has a killer soundtrack.

Dude, how could you omit Lightning Battle and Dog's theme? I already use them in my hacked Brawl and they sound great! They're MADE for Smash.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see McNum's post.

Gattuso

Why would you download Project M to taunt online.

And why do people kill themselves.

It's not a best suicide competition.

That's pretty much how my few online tries went today. One match people didn't move and if I got close they would doge roll out of the way or block. It was pretty funny to see.

SmithnCo

It takes forever to find games and when you find them, everyone just goofs off, lol

At least SSB4 will probably have communities like MK7... Then it would be faster and you could actually fight.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash is being revealed during a Nintendo Direct before E3. I'm hoping for Friday the 7th.

Indeed. I'm definitely hyped for that. Look like I might have to change my deadline soon.

For people who didn't complete the list, so better grab your chance to do it before you forget.

SmithnCo

Got a WiiU Pro Controller and so far it feels like a good wavebird replacement. Get Smash 64 on VC so I can test it properly Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom