• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out the Bayonetta thread made by Neiteio is dead and has been since May 1st, 2013. Boy that thread had a lot of fighting.

As for cuts, I don't think anyone will get cut outside of maybe Snake and Sonic.

Unless 3rd parties are dropped from Smash all together no way in hell Sonic's getting cut, especially after that partnership.

Snake's up in the air though. There was MGS3D, but that's probably about it in terms of Nintendo/MGS content since Brawl. I really hope he isn't cut though.

I just don't see what Konami stands to lose if they keep Snake in Smash, and he was obviously a popular part of Brawl so regardless of whether MGS has a Nintendo future there's some incentive for Sakurai to keep him there.

Him not being in Sony All-Stars could mean anything though.

EDIT: Whoops, misinterpreted what you meant by doubtful. Still, point stands for anybody else who's leaning towards Snake's getting cut.

Gattuso

I'm hoping the Pokémon trainer gets a new set of 3 to play as in the next game since I don't see him getting booted. I still don't see snake returning, maybe sonic will after seeing the announcement of the partnership.
I've been wondering, how would a wonderful 101 character work like in the game: would it be an individual, transformation, or most likely similar to the game/olimar where the pikmin just follow him around and uses them for attacks.

I don't think they'll change the Pokemon Trainer characters. The original starters are still among the most iconic Pokemon. I guess I could see them being swapped out for gen-6 starters, though.

Snake is up in the air. Whether he comes back or not probably depends on inter-company politics that we have no way to speculate on. I like to think that his absence from Playstation All-Stars was because Konami was saving him for Smash Bros., but that's probably not the case. But I still maintain that there's no way Sonic will get cut.

I'm curious about how a Wonderful 101 character could work too. I don't think we know enough about that game's mechanics to guess at how its characters would work in SSB, but I do think that (assuming that they would work like Olimar) there might be a problem getting the subordinate heroes to work since they aren't smaller than the playable character like Pikmin were.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hope all that stuff you keep doing to Dillon is Smash-relevant, Nintendo!

What characters do think they'll drop for Smash 4?
My guesses: Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer.
image.php

NeonZ

I don't think Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon will be changed, or the Pokemon Trainer himself removed. They gave him the Pokemons from the first game of the series, not the most recent one at the time of Brawl. He was meant to represent the original Pokemon games (or their remakes), not the latest version. "Updating" him or replacing him with a new trainer makes no sense.

"Hey guys, I really don't want to make so many characters but as it turns out, THE FANS WANT MORE CHARACTERS! Crazy! Okay let's get cracking."

This is such BS, haha.

That's actually not unbelievable, compared to other parts of the rumor. It happened with Brawl, where Sakurai made the same statements about not making so many characters in the message page that he had for Japanese fans before opening the official dojo, but added almost 20 new ones in the actual game anyway.

And Melee had something similar. The dojo update about the first clone talked about how they realized that fans wanted more characters and so they decided to add them at that last minute, in spite of not being originally planned.

It might not happen again, but "Sakurai says he won't add more characters, realizes that people expect more and so adds more characters anyway" is almost a pattern at this point.

My guesses: Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer.

I think the ones with the highest chance of being dropped are:
Lucario, Ike, Falco, Ganondorf

Lucario - Sakurai has already dropped an unique Pokemon once, so it could happen again. Although he was a big part of the generation 4 marketing, he really has no importance outside of that. He isn't one of the least used characters like Mewtwo was though, so it wouldn't be exactly the same situation.

Ike - Ike could end up being replaced by Chrom if they do follow the route of restricting the number of characters. They'd need to change how Aether works (no sword throw), and it likely wouldn't be the exact same character, but he could be close enough.

Falco - The Star Fox characters in Brawl weren't as popular as their Melee versions, even if they were still popular and the series has been dead since Brawl too. If they're going to trim one of them, I think Falco has better chances of being dropped, in spite of being around for longer. Wolf is just more unique overall, considering his standard moveset. He'd add more by staying in the game.

Ganondorf - It'd be more stupid than cutting Mewtwo, but I think there's a chance that Sakurai could see Ganondorf being unused in Brawl as people just not liking him, rather than just his moveset being too weak and not matching up the Zelda games. Ganondorf not appearing in Skyward Sword likely doesn't help, but it's not a main factor.

I don't think Toon Link would be removed due to Wind Waker HD and even aLttP 2 - he could be tweaked to make aLttP 2 his main costume though, with Wind Waker alternate colors - reversing his color options in the current game (Wind Waker character with LoZ colors).

Kokonoe

Banned
They should make a Kyogre and Groudon level. I love me some Palkia and Dialga, but the cooler duo would make an even cooler level if it turned from water to land based during battles.

Mr. Fix

Posted in the other thread, but the response I got via PM from bh7812 when asking about SSB4's roster.

:(

I'm surprised Pit's not on the obvious list. I know he said the list isn't complete, but any list, fake or partial, that lacks Shulk has me weeping. MM puts a smile on my face though.

Boss Doggie

I still chuckle at the prospect of Lucario being dropped - a character who is merchandised a lot.

They should make a Kyogre and Groudon level. I love me some Palkia and Dialga, but the cooler duo would make an even cooler level if it turned from water to land based during battles.

Why not fight atop Zekrom and Reshiram
with cameos of Yveltal and Xerneas

Kokonoe

Banned
I still chuckle at the prospect of Lucario being dropped - a character who is merchandised a lot.

Why not fight atop Zekrom and Reshiram
with cameos of Yveltal and Xerneas

Why not both? In fact, how about we just have a friggin' level where all the duo deities show up and change the landscape?

seriously, though, Groudon and Kyogre rule.

NeonZ

You'd think Falco and Ganon would go before, say, Lucas?

Both Earthbound and Star Fox are pretty much dead franchises by now, living only with rereleases. I don't see Star Fox keeping three characters if other franchises are reduced to one.

And, regarding Ganondorf, like I said there, I think an important factor regarding Mewtwo being considered unnecessary for Brawl and left out of the final line up was just how unpopular he was in Melee due to being too weak. Ganondorf is pretty much in the same situation. Most people who want a slow and strong character, even in casual play, end up dropping him for Ike or, really, anyone else. Others like Sonic and C.Falcon might be weak too, but they still see more use because they work in item matches.

That didn't help Mewtwo though.

Boss Doggie

But Mewtwo isn't relevant during Brawl's release, and Mewtwo was planned still.

Why not both? In fact, how about we just have a friggin' level where all the duo deities show up and change the landscape?

seriously, though, Groudon and Kyogre rule.

That's what I mean, the legendaries ARE the stage!

NeonZ

But Mewtwo isn't relevant during Brawl's release, and Mewtwo was planned still.

He was as relevant as Lucario is now. He still had some fame and appeared in some merchandising, (and even a new tv special, something Lucario hasn't gotten after his initial marketing push) but had no huge renewed big push at the time. Lucario is in the same situation right now.

Boss Doggie

An all legendary stage would be cool too.

He was as relevant as Lucario is now. He still had some fame and appeared in some merchandising, (and even a new tv special, something Lucario hasn't gotten after his initial marketing push) but had no huge renewed big push at the time. Lucario is in the same situation right now.

Mirage was actually a clip-art tv-special as a testing ground for new voice acting since it's a Western product. Lucario appeared in the anime as a major player for a while, is a co-star in Sunday and Smash (even replaced Zoroark both physically and metaphorically!), and they wouldn't really pull a "Mewtwo returns vid" if Mewtwo is big. Hell, even in irrelevant stuff like Pokemon BW2 where it appeared in the trailer! Granted, it's because Riolu is catchable very early on, but still!

And like I said, Mewtwo never "left" perse, it was just he didn't make it in time.

NeonZ

Mirage was actually a clip-art tv-special as a testing ground for new voice acting since it's a Western product.

Wait. I wasn't even thinking about the Mirage Mewtwo. There was also the Mewtwo returns special. So, you've got Mewtwo in two tv specials.

and they wouldn't really pull a "Mewtwo returns vid" if Mewtwo is big

It's the other way around. They only do that because they know people care about Mewtwo, otherwise his "return" would have no impact.

Lucario appeared in the anime as a major player for a while, is a co-star in Sunday and Smash (even replaced Zoroark both physically and metaphorically!)

Well, Lucario is a standard Pokemon, so it can reappear more often in random roles than Mewtwo, who's always the same character. There's also the Riolu issue though. The most recent important Lucario in the anime actually had most of his on screen appearances as a Riolu, not Lucario.

And like I said, Mewtwo never "left" perse, it was just he didn't make it in time.

That's not really true. Yes, his name was in some disc files, but, according to Sakurai, the final line up for Brawl, aside from Sonic, was decided very early during development. He didn't hide that the clones in Melee were a last minute thing, so I don't think he'd be lying about that. So, the decision to dump Mewtwo wasn't done due to rush to finish the game or anything like that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Damn, he got banned. I wonder how long would he being banned for. I betacha 1 week.

Also I hate to nagging people in this thread but I have two more weeks to go for prediction contest. (Yeah, I know I'm annoying atm, but I would hate to see some people missed out the funs.)

We have to create a lot of discussion in prediction thread. ANYTHING GOES so it can get bump to first page frequently so we can get more people involved.

I would appreciate that it would kept getting bump to first page frequently so people would take a notice of thread.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Yeah, I had an idea about one based in Sootopolis...like, you'd battle on the island platform in front of the city that's surrounded by water and two little island platforms on the side that stick up a bit more, and Kyogre would either rise the water levels, making you have to fight on these little islands on the side, or Groundon would lower them, making more pits on the side of the level.

Although, I also think that'd be a cool Skyward Sword stage based on Faron Woods, where it's usually take place on a couple of trees in the air, but every once in awhile it'd flood, removing the pits and making little lilly pads appear as platforms.

Of course, my bet for a Pokemon stage given the time Smash is being worked on is a Plasma Frigate stage. One taking place in Opelucid City where they freeze the stage over every once in awhile, making it slippery, would rock.

NeonZ

Although, I also think that'd be a cool Skyward Sword stage based on Faron Woods, where it's usually take place on a couple of trees in the air, but every once in awhile it'd flood, removing the pits and making little lilly pads appear as platforms.

As far as Skyward Sword goes, I think they'll obviously go with Skyloft for a stage. Using a location with floating islands for Smash, which has its main game design based on floating platforms, just makes a lot of sense.

Both Earthbound and Star Fox are pretty much dead franchises by now, living only with rereleases. I don't see Star Fox keeping three characters if other franchises are reduced to one.

And, regarding Ganondorf, like I said there, I think an important factor regarding Mewtwo being considered unnecessary for Brawl and left out of the final line up was just how unpopular he was in Melee due to being too weak. Ganondorf is pretty much in the same situation. Most people who want a slow and strong character, even in casual play, end up dropping him for Ike or, really, anyone else. Others like Sonic and C.Falcon might be weak too, but they still see more use because they work in item matches.

Yeah, but Mewtwo is nowhere near as popular as Ganon(dorf). Plus, he's part of the 3 Triforce holders, and one of the most important characters for the Zelda franchise, being its main villain. There'd be way many more characters to take their coat before Ganondorf would be considered getting cut.
I mean, Zelda was absolutely awful in Melee, yet she was kept around. She's just as bad if not worse in Brawl, and there's no chance in hell they're gonna drop her.
It's much more likely that Toon/Young Link would go before one of the Triforce trio; if Ganondorf wouldn't have been added in Melee, he would've been in Brawl (which probably would've been better).

That said, I really doubt that the Zelda franchise will get any cuts, if anything they'll get more characters. Plus, Ganondorf might suck balls, but he's still popular, and probably one of the more played Brawl characters.

Regarding Mewtwo: He was planned to be in the game until the very last moment. They either ran into difficulties with GameFreak (Sakurai mentioned it being difficult to work with them in an interview), or he got dropped in favor of Sonic or so.

Boss Doggie

Wait, there are people who hated PokeFloats?

Wait. I wasn't even thinking about the Mirage Mewtwo. There was also the Mewtwo returns special. So, you've got Mewtwo in two tv specials.

It's the other way around. They only do that because they know people care about Mewtwo, otherwise his "return" would have no impact.

Well, Lucario is a standard Pokemon, so it can reappear more often in random roles than Mewtwo, who's always the same character. There's also the Riolu issue though. The most recent important Lucario in the anime actually had most of his on screen appearances as a Riolu, not Lucario.

That's not really true. Yes, his name was in some disc files, but, according to Sakurai, the final line up for Brawl, aside from Sonic, was decided very early during development. He didn't hide that the clones in Melee were a last minute thing, so I don't think he'd be lying about that. So, the decision to dump Mewtwo wasn't done due to rush to finish the game or anything like that.

That was a follow-up OVA back prior to Melee iirc and they've done similar things like that.

They reused legendaries for a while, like that random Kyogre and Lugia. And the Lucario aspect on the anime is more on how Riolu was building up into it.

And I always thought they were definitely planned but cut, at least Roy and Mewtwo.

SkyOdin

That made me sad since I really miss PokeFloat stage. It's really awesome stage imo.

It was one of my favorites in Melee. It was dynamic and led to fun moving fights, but was predictable so it was never unfair. It was constantly moving, but at a somewhat leisurely pace that didn't have too rapid of transitions.

As for the Skyward Sword stage, I am honestly expecting a re-skin of the Melee Hyrule Temple stage into a Skyloft stage. That Faron Woods concept sound interesting, though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Peopel who are investing in discussions at the moment are slacking off and not doing their prediction lists.

I'm joking obviously

Edited: I'm sorry if I killed the discussion here. It was not meant to be taken seriously.

Pichu is still "merchandised a lot" and a major part of Pokemon Marketing ... didn't stop him from getting dropped in favor of P+M.

And on top of that there are tons of Pokemon with far more merchandise.

Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of Pauline being added to the game. She could count as a DK series rep, and fight with the mini toys from the Mario vs. DK series, plus her old school items from the first Donkey Kong. (Purse, parasol & hat.) Her final Smash can be a giant army of minis doin' stuff.

Make it happen Nintendo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Lately I've been obsessed with the idea of Pauline being added to the game. She could count as a DK series rep, and fight with the mini toys from the Mario vs. DK series, plus her old school items from the first Donkey Kong. (Purse, parasol & hat.) Her final Smash can be a giant army of minis doin' stuff.

Make it happen Nintendo.

Might be cool.

That or add in Stanley the Bugman.

I think the ones with the highest chance of being dropped are:
Lucario, Ike, Falco, Ganondorf

Lucario - Sakurai has already dropped an unique Pokemon once, so it could happen again. Although he was a big part of the generation 4 marketing, he really has no importance outside of that. He isn't one of the least used characters like Mewtwo was though, so it wouldn't be exactly the same situation.
Mewtwo was not dropped to make room for Lucario, Mewtwo was dropped due to time constraints (as he was planned to return). Lucario has also been heavily marketed as of late, more so than Mewtwo, so I doubt that the Pokémon Company wants him going.
Ike - Ike could end up being replaced by Chrom if they do follow the route of restricting the number of characters. They'd need to change how Aether works (no sword throw), and it likely wouldn't be the exact same character, but he could be close enough.
Ike probably isn't going anywhere. He was the protagonist of two games and was an extremely popular newcomer in Brawl. There's also no reason why Ike and Chrom can't co-exist; replacing Ike and making Chrom mostly a clone of Ike would be insulting.
Falco - The Star Fox characters in Brawl weren't as popular as their Melee versions, even if they were still popular and the series has been dead since Brawl too. If they're going to trim one of them, I think Falco has better chances of being dropped, in spite of being around for longer. Wolf is just more unique overall, considering his standard moveset. He'd add more by staying in the game.
Star Fox being on hiatus is not going to cause the franchise to lose a character. Sakurai does not add recurring characters due to recentness, so he won't axe characters for the same reason.
Ganondorf - It'd be more stupid than cutting Mewtwo, but I think there's a chance that Sakurai could see Ganondorf being unused in Brawl as people just not liking him, rather than just his moveset being too weak and not matching up the Zelda games. Ganondorf not appearing in Skyward Sword likely doesn't help, but it's not a main factor.
Then why can't they improve Ganondorf? It's not impossible for that to happen. Plus cutting him would be cutting Zelda's main villian; the back lash would be much worse than Mewtwo's cut. In the end, people would rather have a clone Ganondorf than no Ganondorf.
Pichu is still "merchandised a lot" and a major part of Pokemon Marketing ... didn't stop him from getting dropped in favor of P+M.

Chances are that Plusle & Minun was never planned and that it was the Random Box file. I mean if Plusle & Minun were going to be planned, wouldn't they both have separate files?

Ryce

Chances are that Plusle & Minun was never planned and that it was the Random Box file. I mean if Plusle & Minun were going to be planned, wouldn't they both have separate files?
Why would "random" have a character effects folder? That's a few lines of coding located in a completely different part of the disc. Moreover, why would a random select folder be named "Pra_Mai"? That's very obviously "Prasuru & Mainan."

Why would "random" have a character effects folder? That's a few lines of coding located in a completely different part of the disc. Moreover, why would a random select folder be named "Pra_Mai"? That's very obviously "Prasuru & Mainan."
Can't remember the exact translation but I thought apparently 'pramai' or something along those lines is a romanization version of the Japanese word for 'random'. Though since Toon Zelda/Sheik/Tetra was also there they were probably just last minute clones who got axed.

Can't comment too much though since I don't know anything really about Pokemon beyond the first two gens from over a decade ago. Are Pra & Mai big characters in the series?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Nintendo shouldn't advertise a franchise that isn't relevant to their consoles. Cut Snake.

Boss Doggie

Relevance and recentness aren't factors in Smash tbqh - you have stuff like Ice Climbers and ROB.

But that's because you already have Pikachu.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Yeah, but Nintendo still sells Ice Climber, and ROB promotes their history. Konami has more to lose than Nintendo if Snake gets cut. He should only return if Nintendo gets something out of the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom