• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wound me Shadow Hog, literally the only thing Wart does in the entirety of SMB2 is appear in the very last room of the game and blow bubbles which is also the limit of his role in the entire Mario series, I can't even begin to see how he'd be a preferred addition, I guess he can also charge a whopping amount of rupees for some frog song in Link's Awakening.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd rather have Wart than K. Rool, honestly.

K. Rool has non-King forms, anyway.

y-payne-break.gif

I would love to see K. Rool getting stance change moveset by using up taunt so he can change between King and Kaptain moveset.

With the Pokemon all having their anime voices in Brawl, I really hope a Smash 4 K. Rool could have his DKC TV voice. Obviously Nintendo disowned that side of the DK series shortly after it finished airing, but come on...

...it's perfect.

(The alternative would likely be just a bunch of gargled grunts.)

SmithnCo

With the Pokemon all having their anime voices in Brawl, I really hope a Smash 4 K. Rool could have his DKC TV voice. Obviously Nintendo disowned that side of the DK series shortly after it finished airing, but come on...

...it's perfect.

Donkey Kong needs this voice too. Make it his new final smash. Done.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Donkey Kong needs this voice too. Make it his new final smash. Done.
Can't wait for his final smash to be a motivational sing song about how he needs to fight with all his might causing the rest of the fighters to run off the stage just to get away from it.

PK Gaming

...it's perfect.

Donkey Kong absolutely needs that voice in the next smash game. His singing voice is soooooooo good.

Can't wait for his final smash to be a motivational sing song about how he needs to fight with all his might causing the rest of the fighters to run off the stage just to get away from it.

Plus his sick dance moves, coming to think of it why isn't one of his taunts throwing those shapes from the DKC opening?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Plus his sick dance moves, coming to think of it why isn't one of his taunts throwing those shapes from the DKC opening?
It took them three games to make his taunt a chest thump. No idea where the "I donno lol" pose came from and that shake was really phoning it in. I'm sure Sakurai doesn't like the DKC games. It's the only way to explain the lacklustre references to them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We all know because they are Retro Studios they have been given the duty of making the retro cups in all the Mario Karts from now on.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Nintendo should just make another Doki Doki Panic. It doesn't even need Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom gang. I need another Subcon nightmare, the gameplay is a dream.

It took them three games to make his taunt a chest thump. No idea where the "I donno lol" pose came from and that shake was really phoning it in. I'm sure Sakurai doesn't like the DKC games. It's the only way to explain the lacklustre references to them.

This actually explains the "I dunno" taunt in itself, it's there because Sakurai dunno shit about the DK series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Aren't the characters from Doki Doki actually liscenced characters.

The title was a license cooperation between Nintendo and Fuji Television to promote the broadcaster's Yume Kōjō '87 event, which showcased several of their latest TV shows and other products at the time. The game features the mascots of the Yume Kōjō festival – a family consisting of siblings Imajin and Lina and their parents, Papa and Mama – as protagonists.

The enemies however are Nintendo's creation so they may as well just make it another Mario game.

This actually explains the "I dunno" taunt in itself, it's there because Sakurai dunno shit about the DK series.
Hey, he's fully aware they keep using DK Island Swing for every reference DK makes in games so he made a meta reference by just using that one song for everything DK.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I don't see why Mario would be necessary to a Doki Doki Panic sequel. The gameplay is essential and so is the return of Subcon. It would be great to get another Nintendo platformer with it's own distinct traits.

I hope John Cena will be in the next game.
Do you wanna see him smirk at Goku after he belittles his gimmick?

Hey, he's fully aware they keep using DK Island Swing for every reference DK makes in games so he made a meta reference by just using that one song for everything DK.
I had Sakurai all wrong, really he's a Genius.
I anticipate his next meta moment when we get DKCR jungle stage with DK island swing returns, 2nd DK level will be DK JR as the exciting sequel to the 75M stage.

I hope John Cena will be in the next game.
Only if he's more broken than Meta Knight, that's the only way to make it feel true to the source.

The shake isn't just a shake, he's showing his teeth (his model only has teeth during that taunt).

Diddy also has a teeth showing taunt.

Apes show their teeth when they want to fight. Those taunts are awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can just imagine Iwata and Sakurai making the first Smash Bros and coming up with ideas for the taunts. Iwata turns to Sakurai and asks what DK's taunt should be and Sakurai just shrugs his shoulders. Iwata takes that to be the suggestion and it sticks.

And then Miyamoto just bursts through the door explaining that he is practising for some interviews that may occur in the future.

NeonZ

I don't think that's really true. Look at Diddy. Many of his movements and animations are clear references to the DK games. I think Donkey Kong mostly suffers just due to being introduced in Smash Bros 64, and Sakurai's refusal to heavily revamp any characters after their debut in Smash. Smash Bros 64 had some characters that represented their original games very well, like Mario, Link, Kirby, Yoshi and maybe even Pikachu, but others were fairly mixed. C.Falcon has the excuse of never appearing out of his ship, but I think he had been introduced in a later Smash with a completely new moveset, we might have gotten a stronger attempt at incorporating elements from his games, looking at characters added later, like maybe the ship could be part of his moveset, like Wario's bike, or some design elements would actually get used (like the pistol).

Fox's moveset was supposedly an attempt at a humanized version of an Arwing, but I don't think that explains the lack of visual references to that. His pistols' beams could look closer to an Arwing's, same goes to the boost effect, and there's also the lack of an obvious (homing?) bomb attack. And Fox already had appeared outside of his ship in Starfox 64, even before Smash Bros. Even someone like Samus, who got attacks referencing her games, had those attacks working nothing like in the games at times - like the slow and useless uncharged beam shots. There's also Luigi, whose differences from Mario were completely arbitrary. Donkey Kong is basically in the middle of that later group.

Even among characters who were well represented, there were some fairly random elements at times that easily could have been changed to become actual references, like Link's taunt, which was even changed in Melee, but only in Brawl we actually got some actual Zelda references there.

I honestly don't think they put much thought into taunts in Smash 64, and even Melee. Just about all of the taunts are completely random and generic, like posing and and giving a generic response.
In Smash 64, the only taunt I remember that was specifically referencing a game was Mario's growing and shrinking taunt.
In Melee, there were a few more that referenced the games the character came from, I remember Young Link's milk drinking taunt, for instance. But even then, most of the taunts had no real ties to the games the character(s) came from.
In Brawl, there's more of them, like Link calling out Navi, or Falco's "I prefer the air" line, but even then, most of the taunts are very generic in nature, and seldom reference games directly.

It's a very minor aspect - I like when they do happen to make shoutouts with the taunts, but I doubt they're putting a lot of thought into them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The wait for Animal Crossing sure is a killer.

I don't know about that yet.

E3 2011 - SSB4 and SSB3DS were announced
E3 2012 - Apologies issued and Namco-Bandai and Nintendo worked together confirmed
E3 2013 - First actual information
E3 2014 - Demo (assumed by me)
Nov/Dec 2014 - release date (assumed by me)

Sorry if this has proposed already, but it just came to me.

With the 3DS also being a platform for the next Smash, I'm assuming cross-platform multiplayer will be a thing. Local, at the very least. What if this introduces the possibility of having... 5 players? We've always been limited to 4, which has always felt like enough, but with a fifth player, maps could be larger and 4-player FFA wouldn't feel like two separate battles; the fifth player would break that. Maybe there could be even more than 5 players.

Anyone thought of this or care to chime in?

With the 3DS also being a platform for the next Smash, I'm assuming cross-platform multiplayer will be a thing. Local, at the very least. What if this introduces the possibility of having... 5 players? We've always been limited to 4, which has always felt like enough, but with a fifth player, maps could be larger and 4-player FFA wouldn't feel like two separate battles; the fifth player would break that. Maybe there could be even more than 5 players.

Anyone thought of this or care to chime in?

Considering that the WiiU version might support the Game-Pad, we might get 5 players without the 3DS. The coding in Brawl and Melee allowed for up to 6 players on a map at a time. So with the 3DS, we might end up with 6 people in a game. That would certainly be interesting to see, to say the least. But, it's more likely that the Game-Pad and 3DS will serve just as alternate controllers.

Joqu

This might sound really dumb (I don't often play multiplayer games) but is cross-platform multiplayer something that's actually done between two systems that are so different power-wise? I can't think of any examples, but what do I know.

SkyOdin

This might sound really dumb (I don't often play multiplayer games) but is cross-platform multiplayer something that's actually done between two systems that are so different power-wise? I can't think of any examples, but what do I know.

There was a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game that had equal multiplayer between the DS and the Wii, so it isn't unprecedented. More recently, there is equal cross-platform multiplayer between the 3DS and Wii U versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Joqu

There was a Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game that had equal multiplayer between the DS and the Wii, so it isn't unprecedented. More recently, there is equal cross-platform multiplayer between the 3DS and Wii U versions of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Oh right, I should have thought of those. Both of these games' console versions are ports of the handheld ones though.

edit: Oh god I'm a member now.

Wichu

Oh right, I should have thought of those. Both of these games' console versions are ports of the handheld ones though.

edit: Oh god I'm a member now.

The Pokémon Stadium series (including the GC and Wii titles) let you use teams from the handheld versions. The battle mechanics are identical between the handheld/console versions (other than the Stadium bugfixes); the action is all on the TV screen, though.

NeonZ

With the 3DS also being a platform for the next Smash, I'm assuming cross-platform multiplayer will be a thing.

Not necessarily. At least, originally, the 3ds Smash wasn't meant to be the same as the Wii U Smash, with the Wii U Smash being meant as a traditional Smash experience and the 3DS one focused on a"personal" experience with focus on building up characters somehow. Things might have changed since the initial announcement, but you shouldn't be surprised if they still are different games, and the connections are closer to sharing character data, trophies and/or stickers, rather than actual cross play.

Not necessarily. At least, originally, the 3ds Smash wasn't meant to be the same as the Wii U Smash, with the Wii U Smash being meant as a traditional Smash experience and the 3DS one focused on a"personal" experience with focus on building up characters somehow. Things might have changed since the initial announcement, but you shouldn't be surprised if they still are different games, and the connections are closer to sharing character data, trophies and/or stickers, rather than actual cross play.

Sakurai might still have plans for some connectivity whether or not the two games will actually play with each other. I do have a feeling that there will be cross-play unlockables.

I've figured out the ultimate swerve SSB4 newcomer, from the Mario series they will bring in SONNY from Mario Golf 64, man that roster was shit.
In turn this reminds me that Plum did get a trophy in melee.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I've figured out the ultimate swerve SSB4 newcomer, from the Mario series they will bring in SONNY from Mario Golf 64, man that roster was shit.
In turn this reminds me that Plum did get a trophy in melee.

Many people would meltdown because they would think he stole other characters' spots. So they could go with Lip since too many people don't know who she is.

...it's perfect.

Oddly enough they've just announced the the series is coming to DVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Donkey-Kong-Country-He-Came-He-Saw-He-Kong-quered/18488

DonkeyKongCountry_CameSawKong-quered.jpg

Anyway, just came across this and laughed, if Bayonetta does get announced as a character this should be used

kzcgJQD.jpg

GamerSoul

DK is making moves now. What can't Retro do? I use to love that show. It's the only memory I have of K Rool. lol

I found this comical.

Minus Krystal and Geno.

It freaks me out how well Megaman fits in with the Nintendo cast. It also hurts real good.

lol awesome. Damn it's pretty close. I can feel it ;_;

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just hate the songs. Also how come they added some original characters there?

Speaking of which I hate grammatical errors in comics. Makes me cringe :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom