• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else is hoping that we'll get a Xenoblade's stage with the Mechonis looming in the background in full HD while Shulk, Link, Mario and Reyn fight each other? And then Reyn use his Final Smash : Reyn Time!

Ok, now i'm going to be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

While I don't really expect a playable Xenoblade character I do demand a stage, and maybe the Monado as an overpowered item, it'd be like the beam sword on steroids.
Speaking of a Xenoblade stage, since Bionis Leg is the obvious choice the stage hazard should be one of the territorial monsters coming in and changing the current stage theme to the unique monster battle theme while it wrecks havoc, or if it's the humongous ape thing the music changes to the run for your damn life theme.

Mr. Fix

While I don't really expect a playable Xenoblade character [...]

QCPN0.gif

Project X is pretty blatantly Xenoblade related. Considering Monolith Studios is a bonafide, world-wide part of Nintendo now, Xenoblade is going to be a series and isn't Japan-only, I don't see how Shulk is unlikely for SSB4 at all. Series is hurting for more recent IP's to pull fighters from than 2001's Pikmin.

Even if we don't get Shulk I hope we at least get a Bionis stage. I would be happy with just that and some of that sweet Xenoblade music.

SkyOdin

I still think that the Fallen Arm would be the best possible stage as a Xenoblade representation. Standing somewhere near the wrist where you can see all five fingers in the background, with both Bionis monsters and Mechon lurking in the background, would be a perfect visual example of what makes Xenoblade's setting what it is. It is a good way to justify having both Bionis and Mechonis visible in the background too.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Anyone else is hoping that we'll get a Xenoblade's stage with the Mechonis looming in the background in full HD while Shulk, Link, Mario and Reyn fight each other? And then Reyn use his Final Smash : Reyn Time!

Ok, now i'm going to be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

I really hope for that stage and Shulk.

While I don't really expect a playable Xenoblade character I do demand a stage, and maybe the Monado as an overpowered item, it'd be like the beam sword on steroids.
Speaking of a Xenoblade stage, since Bionis Leg is the obvious choice the stage hazard should be one of the territorial monsters coming in and changing the current stage theme to the unique monster battle theme while it wrecks havoc, or if it's the humongous ape thing the music changes to the run for your damn life theme.

I'm afraid that Shulk might get shifted with Wonderful 101 character for newest IP in Nintendo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I agree with Suede - people give Newtwo too much flak when Mewtwo is not much of a magical design either.

Don't worry Impa will make a fine replacement.
And you'll always be able to play as Sheik if you choose Zelda/Impa's OoT/TP costumes, including her original taunts and voice files
if fate is kind

Seriously, hope Sakurai takes some cues from PSASBR in that respect. It'd also be a quick and dirty way to have Daisy/Rosalina/Pichu/Dr. Mario/etc. in the game without devoting time to new movesets.

I'm very curious what kind of moves Zelda and Impa would receive for Down + B if it happened.
Instead of it being a physical transformation either a time gate or just a beam of light replaces Zelda/Impa with the other? Just like Pokemon Trainer.

If I preface myself with 'I really like most of the new designs they've shown off for X/Y so far' every time I say how stupid looking Mew-Penishead is will that be okay

Also could honestly see it being a 'two-birds-with-one-stone' way of both having a new Pokemon rep and bringing back Mewtwo's old moveset, as bittersweet as that'd be. Ultimately it's more Mewtwo's floaty teleporting fun moveset I want back than the character, so I'd probably live.

Boss Doggie

Seriously, hope Sakurai takes some cues from PSASBR in that respect. It'd also be a quick and dirty way to have Daisy/Rosalina/Pichu/Dr. Mario/etc. in the game without devoting time to new movesets.

Good god no.

See, I can see Dr. Mario being treated as a costume since it's really the same character in another clothing.

Daisy? Nope.

Good god no.

See, I can see Dr. Mario being treated as a costume since it's really the same character in another clothing.

Daisy? Nope.
I sure as fuck don't want somebody who literally was just created to be a pallette swap of Peach getting their own player slot, so why run that risk when you can just quickly bring her VA in, get her to record a few lines and then have her as a costume/model-swap for Peach to appease a few people who want her in proper without devoting any real dev-time to her?

GamerSoul

And you'll always be able to play as Sheik if you choose Zelda/Impa's OoT/TP costumes, including her original taunts and voice files
if fate is kind

I would be totally ok with alt costumes being treated like that. And i think Impa would work great with SS Zelda. Imo, her moveset would far be more interesting than Sheik's.

Boss Doggie

I sure as fuck don't want somebody who literally was just created to be a pallette swap of Peach getting their own player slot, so why run that risk when you can just quickly bring her VA in, get her to record a few lines and then have her as a costume/model-swap for Peach to appease a few people who want her in proper without devoting any real dev-time to her?

Because Daisy has evolved from being a palette swap. I'd agree with you if it was during the 64 days, but I picture Daisy now as the tomboy equivalent whose default outfit is the sportswear and uses sports-based attacks.

Yeah, fuck Waluigi.

In any case, it would lead to shit like "Why is Wolf not just Fox's alt" and other crap.

Because Daisy has evolved from being a palette swap. I'd agree with you if it was during the 64 days, but I picture Daisy now as the tomboy equivalent whose default outfit is the sportswear and uses sports-based attacks.

Yeah, fuck Waluigi.

In any case, it would lead to shit like "Why is Wolf not just Fox's alt" and other crap.
Because more often than not it's that or nothing? If the clones that were in Melee could have been costumes/model swaps (even Ganondorf and Falco) just for that game but that gave the team enough time to complete another fully original character like Dedede or Wario*, wouldn't you prefer that scenario?

Not to mention most of what defines Daisy is already in Peach's regular moveset (sports-related attacks :V).

* Somebody back me up here, but didn't the Melee Dojo or a Famitsu quote Sakurai say when it came down to Melee's last few months of development, it came down to either having the 6 clones they got or a single original character like Dedede or Wario?

I am so excite right now. Why am I doing this to myself so many days in advance?

Looking forward to seeing Mike Jones in SSB4's trailer
as an assist trophy
?

Boss Doggie

Wut, the only sports-related attack Peach has is one of the random f smash (golf club).

And I seriously doubt the Melee problem would happen. Didn't they manage to avoid that in Brawl?

Wut, the only sports-related attack Peach has is one of the random f smash (golf club).

And I seriously doubt the Melee problem would happen. Didn't they manage to avoid that in Brawl?
Because Brawl was in development for over two years compared to Melee's 13 months and hence they had time, money and manpower to avoid last-minute character additions besides Sonic? The new 'clones' in Brawl were also far more different to their counterparts than Melee's were as well.

Realistically I just don't see somebody like Daisy getting in and definitely don't see old versions such as OoT/TP/'Young' Zelda characters getting their own slots, so why not take the hypothetical compromise and have them as a model-swapped costume instead?

Also Peach also has stuff the tennis racket and kicks. Besides Toad and arguably turnips there really isn't anything there that'd look 'off' Daisy doing, and even that stuff can be just re-animated to be something like her chucking flowers or some shit.

GamerSoul

Yeah, fuck Waluigi.

I get what you're saying but since they can't possibly implement every idea they have for certain characters Alts would be a nice little feature in the end.

AND you know Sakurai's Wolf luvin butt will never do that to him. :p

Hey hey hey

Don't be dissin' Waluigi

He sucks though. :l I hope he stays an AT so I don't have to see his face.

Boss Doggie

Because Brawl was in development for over two years compared to Melee's 13 months and hence they had time, money and manpower to avoid last-minute character additions besides Sonic? The new 'clones' in Brawl were also far more different to their counterparts than Melee's were as well.

Realistically I just don't see somebody like Daisy getting in and definitely don't see old versions such as OoT/TP/'Young' Zelda characters getting their own slots, so why not take the hypothetical compromise and have them as a model-swapped costume instead?

Also Peach also has stuff the tennis racket and kicks. Besides Toad and arguably turnips there really isn't anything there that'd look 'off' Daisy doing, and even that stuff can be just re-animated to be something like her chucking flowers or some shit.

Oh yeah forgot about the tennis racket, but the kicks are so broad.

And I'd rather have the current characters "wear" costumes of other characters than the other characters becoming skins.

And like I said, I doubt Smash U would have troubles like Melee because it seemed to be planned more. And I like me some tomboyish female characters doing tomboyish things damnit!

Am I the only one here that actually likes the new design and expects both the original and the new form for Mewtwo?

I'm also confident that Sheik will return. I don't see any reason why Impa would replace Sheik.

Gattuso

Am I the only one here that actually likes the new design and expects both the original and the new form for Mewtwo?

I'm also confident that Sheik will return. I don't see any reason why Impa would replace Sheik.
I expect if mewtwo gets in the other form will be in it in some way. i also don't really feel one way or the other about the design.
I feel sheik is here to stay.

TheGannondork

Neo Member
My only hope is the game feels faster and less floaty than Brawl did. I enjoyed Brawl for what it was but I always liked how Melee felt more. I guess i'll at least have some idea soon.

Boss Doggie

I feel like Mewtwo/Newtwo will be a Sheik/Zelda type character.
His down B is shit anyway so might as well give it forme change.

And change Side B to Psystrike (billions of energy swarm to an enemy) and B to Psywave (an pulse-like attack).

Even as a kid I knew Mewtwo's moveset in Melee was complete shit competitively but I still loved just teleporting around and how floaty all his animations were. Sonic is similarly terrible to play seriously in Brawl but really fun if you're just playing him for kicks.

I'm still not sure if the Waluigi fandom on GAF is just some big joke I'm not in on.
Waluigi is one of those characters who I really want to like but the story behind his existence (Wario having a girlfriend was unrealistic so they just gave him a brother, though ironically a couple years later they made Mona and she appears in jack shit :/) and how little he gets used beyond being Wario's partner in spin-off games means there's seriously nothing to go off with the guy. There are far worse Mario/Wario additions to have in SSB4 I guess but I'd vastly prefer Mona/Syrup/Ashley if Wario gets a 2nd rep.

I'm still not sure if the Waluigi fandom on GAF is just some big joke I'm not in on.
I'm there with you man, just extend it from GAF to the Internet.

Even as a kid I knew Mewtwo's moveset in Melee was complete shit competitively but I still loved just teleporting around and how floaty all his animations were. Sonic is similarly terrible to play seriously in Brawl but really fun if you're just playing him for kicks.

Mewtwo's general awkwardness is what makes him so damn fun, spending matches trying to pull off a successful disable, confusing other players with teleport spam, ah good times.

Shouldn't that in-itself bring up numerous questions about Waluigi's quality as a character design when he's completely divorced from the franchise of the guy he's meant to be the partner/brother of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom