• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

udivision

Any "customization" should just be for seperate sticker mode, and shouldn't really be too different from the old one. Maybe more refined.

And if they add another stage editor then let us edit developer made stages instead of just the ones we make. Make it extensive too, like Halo's Forge. Add or remove stage hazards, add or remove platforms, create moving platforms with custom trajectories, set and change player spawn points, item spawn points, item spawn timers, etc. Split it into beginner and advanced stage editor modes so players aren't daunted by a laundry list of options.

Random thought: I hated how much they fucked with Falco in Brawl. Melee Falco was so much fun.
True that. But even if they had left Falco the same, he still wouldn't be anywhere near as fun to play due to the floatier physics, barely any shieldstun or hitstun and all the other changes that were made to the engine.

Snakey

There is a lot of debate about who Mario's newcomer should be in Smash 4. The most popular choices seem to be Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Geno, and Waluigi.

Personally, I would go with Toad. He is the last character who has been playable in the Mario platformers that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. Also, he is also the only one of those Mario characters that is one of Miyamoto's babies.

SmithnCo

I'd like to see Paper Mario, his series needs a rep, it's pretty much its own series. He has a lot of move potential with the hammer and special items as well.

Now you see falco isn't where its at.

Wolf, is my main man in brawl.

Who they killed is Mario... I never figured out how to play as Mario well at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Now you see falco isn't where its at.

Wolf, is my main man in brawl.

Who they killed is Mario... I never figured out how to play as Mario well at all.

Eh? I thought he was good in Brawl.

I have a lot of idea for SSB4 but half of characters and stages are more likely to be hated by yall. :(

So... I'm thinking Diagonals might be a new thing.

Diagonal + B = 4 new Specials
Diagonal + A = 4 new Smashes

or whatever. We'll probably just be able to trip in the air.

If they want to add new button then they should change one of two jump buttons into something new. It would open up a more possibilities.

ffdgh

fludd is somewhat useless and his smashes were lacking power.
now if he had his doctor moveset, he would probably be better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought Mario was pretty weak in Brawl. Which was fine by me since Luigi was made so much better. Seriously, Luigi in Brawl is pretty much perfect in my eyes. Hope they don't add the Poltergust or something...

Thores

Seriously, Luigi in Brawl is pretty much perfect in my eyes. Hope they don't add the Poltergust or something...

This seems really likely, now that Luigi's Mansion is relevant again. Conversely, I think Mario's going to lose the FLUDD.

illadelph

All I want is the singleplayer to have more "Nintendo universe" stuff to it, I hated the plain enemies from subspace.

This. Adventure mode in Melee was cool for this reason. They need to take that idea and go crazy with it. Subspace was pretty boring.

SmithnCo

I thought Mario was pretty weak in Brawl. Which was fine by me since Luigi was made so much better. Seriously, Luigi in Brawl is pretty much perfect in my eyes. Hope they don't add the Poltergust or something...

I was surprised the Poltergust wasn't his Final Smash or something. But the FS we got was quirky and weird enough to like.

What are the chances of the game playing more like Melee than Brawl? I love Melee but Brawl was kind of boring after a while. It felt too slow to me.

Snakey

Sakurai probably knew that Ike was getting another game when he picked him for Brawl.

Sakurai originally had "Fire Emblem newcomer" as a placeholder since he did not know who to put in as a new character for Fire Emblem in Brawl. So Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for their opinion and they suggested Ike to him, the rest is history.

Anth0ny

They probably will, tbh. Luigi's Mansion 2 and all that. I'm sure they'll add something from Mario Galaxy to Mario as well. Possibly a new down b.

What are the chances of the game playing more like Melee than Brawl? I love Melee but Brawl was kind of boring after a while. It felt too slow to me.

Slim to none =(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Very very bad, sadly. I mentioned it several pages ago, but Sakurai says that he most likely wouldn't want to make another game as speedy and frantic as Melee, which sucks major butts. :(

Gravijah

just make smash turn based. and have intsys develop for it. and give it a cool 2d look inspired by paper.

and most importantly, have yuka tsujiyoko compose it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
See, we just established how Lucario isn't a one-shot character a few pages ago, then suddenly we have some posters claiming he is.

I TOLD YOU THE CYCLE IS TRUE.

Hopefully, Smash 4 mostly ignores the Star Fox series after Star Fox 64. Considering that the only new release for the series since 2006 was a port/remake of Star Fox 64, this might actually happen. I wonder if the Star Fox characters (Fox, Falco, Wolf) will go back to their Star Fox 64 designs?

Fuck no.

Say what you will about post-64 games, but at least they gave the characters some uniqueness. Wolf is much more enjoyable in his Assault incarnation as opposed to the 64 version. And I'll take Panther over Krystal any day.

Random thought: I hated how much they fucked with Falco in Brawl. Melee Falco was so much fun.

But in Melee he's essentially Fox. You should complain about Brawl physics, not Falco.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm all for Ganondorf getting an entire new moveset, but i'll admit, i'd miss doing the choke slam suicide with him. Speaking of what I miss, I miss how when you did Ganondorf's Falcon Kick in Melee, it would pretty much equal an insta-kill if you hit them with it off stage.

I play a suicidal Ganondorf.

I'm all for Ganondorf getting an entire new moveset, but i'll admit, i'd miss doing the choke slam suicide with him. Speaking of what I miss, I miss how when you did Ganondorf's Falcon Kick in Melee, it would pretty much equal an insta-kill if you hit them with it off stage.

I play a suicidal Ganondorf.

That's why you bring in Black Shadow and give him Ganny's old moveset.

Mother Brain should be a playable character. A friend has been saying that to me since Smash 64 came out :( Yes a completely immobile, defenseless character...well except the lava, walls and gun placements all over.

Controversial opinion. I think the game will be out before the end of 2014.

(or booster)
Isn't booster basically Wario anyway?

heynow12

Banned
I dont get why people are so psyched bout Smash...N64 one was cool but now there are much better multiplayer games out there. I remember Brawl sucked when you tried to play online multiplayer and it had lots of random boring characters. And single player wasnt fun like gamecube one. Brawl just got me de-psyched for more Smash..

Kokonoe

Banned
That's why you bring in Black Shadow and give him Ganny's old moveset.
Who's Black Shadow?
I dont get why people are so psyched bout Smash...N64 one was cool but now there are much better multiplayer games out there. I remember Brawl sucked when you tried to play online multiplayer and it had lots of random boring characters. And single player wasnt fun like gamecube one. Brawl just got me de-psyched for more Smash..

For me it's just how crazy and fast the game is, and I love how in control I feel with the character i'm playing. I don't really feel that freedom with other fighters, and also having all these characters from games I like help with the appeal as well.

Smash is a speculation hype machine of the highest degree, that's pretty much why.

Almost everyone has either a favourite, an ideal roster, a nightmare roster or something else they really really want in Smash.

Because it's an insane crossover party that goes beyond almost any other crossover game in terms of sheer potential choices it attracts fans from almost every franchise.

What might seem like a random boring character to you can easily be a fan favourite from that particular franchise.

Combine this with fun and highly adjustable gameplay and you've got a game that people want to be hyped about.

Who's Black Shadow?

Villain/racer from F-zero. Anatomy-wise he's very similar to Ganondorf.
Being Falcon's rival also means that making him a clone is a lot less weird.

Emitan

Because people like the gameplay and characters. Because Super Smash Bros. Melee is the best video game ever created.

Name one better multiplayer game. Name one.

SmithnCo

Smash 4 should have better online, at least. As far as characters go, it just depends how deep you are into Nintendo.

It should be a fun party game if anything, at this point I have doubts that it will make ripples in the competitive scene with Sakurai at the helm.

Snakey

With Kid Icarus Uprising, Sakurai was utilizing AR cards for it.

Iwata recently spoke of the Wii U having controller interface compatability with cards and figurines. Perhaps Smash 4 could have a collection of cards or figurines (modeled like trophies) for people to collect and somehow interact with the game. Imagine collecting cards and figurines of your favorite Nintendo characters, even characters that are not playable. Nintendo could make a ton of money off of this if its implemented in the right way.

NeonZ

Well, I had the opposite opinion about the single player content goes, and, as for multi options, yes, online was problematic, but it's pretty much unmatched as far as local 3p-4p goes.

Snakey

what was all the hate for brawl? sure it played differently but... it was still fun?

Brawl was great. It was definitely a worthy successor to Melee. The only criticism I have of Brawl was that so much development time was put into the Subspace Emissary, which was mediocre to subpar.

SmithnCo

what was all the hate for brawl? sure it played differently but... it was still fun?

Yeah, it was still a great game. I think the biggest complaints are the story mode was kinda boring, and the physics were floaty.

I gotta say I liked Melee's physics more because it had more "combo" potential. Brawl felt slow in comparison.

Anth0ny

Fun, sure. But far, far less fun than it's predecessors. Floaty, slow, no hitstun means no combos, meta knight... it got boring after a couple of months.

Oh, and of course the single players was god awful and the online was a kick to the balls.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Brawl was great. It was definitely a worthy successor to Melee. The only criticism I have of Brawl was that so much development time was put into the Subspace Emissary, which was mediocre to subpar.

Exactly, if they used those times then we would have those deleted characters.

Roy, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Toon Zelda

The Lamp

I can't believe this thread is here when the game isn't even in actual development yet. There's nothing to talk about besides the justification of clones and how "bad" Brawl is lol.

I want them to give Ganon a sword next time ffs.

Ithil

Stages are likely to be pretty damn wild with interaction now.

I have one wish, that will definitely be ignored. No upward scrolling stage, please.

Icicle Mountain in Melee and Donkey Kong's Brawl stage both sucked hard because of the scrolling.

I don't mind stages that move like PokeFloats or Rainbow Ride, it's just the constant upward moving ones.

A game with as much hype and as insane a fanbase as Smash easily gets a lot of hate.

Brawl is "hated" for exactly the same reason we have a 26-page thread with literally 2 lines of speculative info to go by. People are passionate about Smash games.

In a lot of cases this passion can easily translate to a bad backlash.

I think Brawl is easily the superior game to Melee through content alone, it really isn't bad. But I also think Brawl really was a "let down" in terms of certain choices made.

For a lot of people it's stuff like them just liking Melee's combat a lot better, or the single player mode feeling drab.

Personally my biggest complaints are probably with the stage editor being lackluster and plain.

Why is Brawl so tempting to complain about? It's hard to say what it is specifically, maybe because the Dojo overhyped features many learned to hate in the end.
Maybe because tripping is one of the worst features imaginable.

Maybe there's just a number of very vocal fans who need to let the world know that Melee is teh bezt smush evar.

Heck, maybe it's just easy. I clearly remember a lot of people complaining left and right about problems in melee. Maybe they expected Brawl to fix their problems with melee? And got extra furious when it changed the parts they actually liked?

Stages are likely to be pretty damn wild with interaction now.

I have one wish, that will definitely be ignored. No upward scrolling stage, please.

Icicle Mountain in Melee and Donkey Kong's Brawl stage both sucked hard because of the scrolling.

I don't mind stages that move like PokeFloats or Rainbow Ride, it's just the constant upward moving ones.

Agreed. And if you have them, at least don't make my favourite DKC songs exclusive to such an unplayable mess.

SmithnCo

I disliked the upward scrolling stages too, if I had to choose one I'd just pick the Melee Ice Climbers stage as a retro stage and leave it at that.

leroidys

Nah, don't worry. They'll just give that and the FLUDD to this guy:

ixgkg.jpg

nope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom