• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

I hope Sakurai opens a website to take tons of fan input this time around

No, the mob is dumb. Besides with most of the sensible character choices already in Smash Bros., you will have people suggesting the likes of Waluigi and Krystal to be in Smash Bros.

Also, it would just become a matter of "who assembles the the most blinding frothing fanboy army wins". I trust Sakurai's judgment on character selection more than your average idiot at GameFAQs, IGN, or SmashBoards.

ffdgh

if he does open a site like that, the main requests would probably be remove tripping, increase the speed and or add more online options....*coughgenocough*

MisterHero

No, the mob is dumb. Besides with most of the sensible character choices already in Smash Bros., you will have people suggesting the likes of Waluigi and Krystal to be in Smash Bros.

Also, it would just become a matter of "who assembles the the most blinding frothing fanboy army wins". I trust Sakurai's judgment on character selection more than your average idiot at GameFAQs, IGN, or SmashBoards.
This, of course, would combine with what Sakurai thinks would actually improve game and make it more fun.

If not for a harshly-considered roster, it would just be a bunch of characters doing things they did in other videogames.

If they really tried, they still have main protagonists they can use without re-iterating a present franchise. Little Mac, for example.

if he does open a site like that, the main requests would probably be remove tripping, increase the speed and or add more online options....*coughgenocough*
Last time he did it, there was a Feature request section and a Character request section

and YES TO NO WALUIGI

Stanley the Bugman needs his time to shine. He has what Waluigi never had; his own game! :p

KevinCow

Banned

Listening to fan input doesn't necessarily mean doing everything the fans tell you.

Emitan

Waluigi is irrelevant to the mainline Mario, heck, he is so unimportant even to the Mario spinoffs that he was left out of Mario Kart 7. Keep in mind Mario Kart usually sells better than Smash Bros.

He was the main character of Fortune Street.

Snakey

He was the main character of Fortune Street.

Main character? I doubt that. Besides even if he was, there is the matter of how Fortune Street sold poorly.

Look at the pedigree of Toad and Paper Mario and compare that to Waluigi. Miyamoto has even referred to Toad fondly as one of his favorite Nintendo characters. Paper Mario has an entire series dedicated to him.

Isn't Waluigi mainly relegated to Camelot games as it is? He's a dumb character. And Geno only ever gets mentioned because nostalgia clouds people's visions like nothing else. What was even memorable about him?

KingK

I still think the most obvious choice for a new character is the Black Knight. Fire Emblem doesn't have a villain represented and he would be the best.
QTPNj.png

Snakey

Isn't Waluigi mainly relegated to Camelot games as it is? He's a dumb character. And Geno only ever gets mentioned because nostalgia clouds people's visions like nothing else. What was even memorable about him?

With the Smash Bros. fandom there always seems to be a RPG character with a cultlike fanbase. Up until Brawl's announcement, it was Poo from EarthBound.

Most of people's requests in regards to Geno seems to be a sort of bandwagon character. People just want Super Mario RPG to receive some content in Smash Bros., but I think a one-shot third-party side character becoming a playable character is way overshooting it.

The best choices for a Mario newcomer are Toad and Paper Mario. Bowser Jr. might also be an acceptable choice, however, he never really fights outside of large mechs in the main Mario title.

Snakey

I still think the most obvious choice for a new character is the Black Knight. Fire Emblem doesn't have a villain represented and he would be the best.
QTPNj.png

The Black Knight would be an Ike clone (do we really need a heavier, slower Ike?). There are important storyline reasons as to why this would happen. Also, the Tellius arc for Fire Emblem is now over. It also does not help that the Tellius games were the poorest selling Fire Emblem games in the entire series in Japan.

If there should be any playable Fire Emblem villain, it should be the guy who is featured as my avatar (Alvis from Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu). He is probably one of the few Nintendo characters with both depth and character development.

However, due to the nature of cycling protagonists in the Fire Emblem series, an antagonist from a specific game would be an overall poor decision in regards to a possible Fire Emblem newcomer.

Poyunch

Waluigi can be the character that can represent all the side Mario games. Give him golf, tennis, kart, party, etc. moves.

Snakey

Waluigi can be the character that can represent all the side Mario games. Give him golf, tennis, kart, party, etc. moves.

If we are going for a character that would represent the Mario spinoffs, Toad would be a superior choice both for several reasons:
1. Has several playable appearances in the main Mario series.
2. More popular than Waluigi.
3. Has been in Mario spinoffs far longer than Waluigi.
4. Has been in more Mario spinoffs than Waluigi.

Read this too:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/61727991

Kjellson

Why do people hate Geno so much? Sure, SMRPG isn't the greatest game in the world, but I don't understand why there is some kind of GAF resistance against him.

SmithnCo

Why do people hate Geno so much? Sure, SMRPG isn't the greatest game in the world, but I don't understand why there is some kind of GAF resistance against him.

Probably because he was in one game 16 years ago, and didn't make a significant appearance since. Would be weird for him to be in Smash over characters with a longer history.

Snakey

People love Super Mario RPG. Heck, for myself, its still one of my favorite RPGs ever. However, there are many people that simply don't like the idea of a third-party one-shot character (of which is only a side character) getting in over Mario series mainstays such as Toad, Paper Mario, or Bowser Jr.

What does anyone gain by including him?

-He's not the best choice for new Mario character
-He's not the best choice as SQEX's only inclusion (doesn't represent any current or classic SQEX property)
-He has never headlined a game
-Is unlikely to feature in another game

SSB is "Nintendo All-Stars" (3rd parties excluded) and Geno is an All-Star for no one.

Thores

If we are going for a character that would represent the Mario spinoffs, Toad would be a superior choice both for several reasons:
1. Has several playable appearances in the main Mario series.
2. More popular than Waluigi.
3. Has been in Mario spinoffs far longer than Waluigi.
4. Has been in more Mario spinoffs than Waluigi.

Not that I think her addition would be a great idea either, but Daisy probably fits better. She qualifies for 2-4 (1 is irrelevant if we're going with the argument that she's representing the spin-off games), and she's actually been playable more often than Toad and Waluigi have. Plus, being sporty and athletic is part of Daisy's personality these days, so integrating the sports and kart games into her moveset would be pretty fitting and make a lot of sense. Waluigi would just be swinging a tennis racket around because it's all we've ever seen him do.

All I want from the next Mario Kart game is to make mini-turbos work like they used to work in MK64/Double Dash/DS. Mario Kart Wii didn't even feel like I was playing a game.

To chime in on the Geno topic: SMRPG isn't even a bad game. It's a great game. But Geno isn't even the best character that SE could include. Like many have already said, he's a one-shot character who has little to no chance of appearing in another side-role in a game ever again.

SMRPG isn't even the best Mario RPG, for crying out loud.

Snakey

What does anyone gain by including him?

-He's not the best choice for new Mario character
-He's not the best choice as SQEX's only inclusion (doesn't represent any current or classic SQEX property)
-He has never headlined a game
-Is unlikely to feature in another game

SSB is "Nintendo All-Stars" (3rd parties excluded) and Geno is an All-Star for no one.

There is also the point that Square-Enix has developed four more games with Mario characters in them after Super Mario RPG, and Geno was not in any of them

Richie

Really, I don't think hearing what your fans have to say it's bad at all. They could listen to our suggestions, and when it comes to creating the game, the staff won't follow every single one mindlessly; they'll take what they think can work and integrate it, along with their own original plans. Sakurai has proven he's far from suggestible.

I see nothing wrong with taking fan input, and Sakurai must agree, for he has taken Japanese players' desires into consideration before.
I just wish there was a way for us non-JP Smashers to voice our minds.

qq more

Waluigi > Geno

That is a fact. A god damn fact. You can't disagree with me because it is fact. In fact, it is fact. Fact fact fact fact.

qq more

I feel bad for the guy who would have to go through all that shit.
lol Me too. I'd feel so bad for him.

ADD INUYASHA AND NARUTO ^W^

PLS ADD SAHDOW AND SILVER AND ROUGE THE BAT ^W^

DONT FORGET TO ADD CLOUD AND SEPHIROTH AND SORA AND MICKEY!@!!!!!!! ^W^

MisterHero

lol Me too. I'd feel so bad for him.

ADD INUYASHA AND NARUTO ^W^

PLS ADD SAHDOW AND SILVER AND ROUGE THE BAT ^W^

DONT FORGET TO ADD CLOUD AND SEPHIROTH AND SORA AND MICKEY!@!!!!!!! ^W^
I was thinking of forcing Popeye onto the roster

It's pretty simple

Seriously though, Disney is pretty important to Nintendo as well. Disney was one of Nintendo's first license partners, pre-dating any Nintendo game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom