• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjellson

Oh, I see. Thanks for the answers everyone.

But wouldn't the same thing go for Mike Jones? The latest StarTropics game was released in 1994, and the franchise isn't exactly famous. I don't get why people have started to nag about a dead video game series.

Gravijah

But wouldn't the same thing go for Mike Jones? The latest StarTropics game was released in 1994, and the franchise isn't exactly famous. I don't get why people have started to nag about a dead video game series.

exactly.

Emitan

WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP SUGGESTING CHARACTERS WHO HAVE BEEN IN LIKE TWO GAMES EVER
GuKmt.jpg

More or less, but Mike Jones has even lower chances than Geno. None of his games were ever released in Japan. He wasn't even a sticker in Brawl, and freaking Sukapon was a sticker in Brawl.

you can't pull of combos? huh I felt like I do with wolf...
There are few actual true combos in the game since hitstun is so low and you can also cancel hitstun with an airdodge or an aerial attack. Whatever combos you think you're pulling off were probably escapable.

It was? It didn't seem like it.
Have you played Melee recently? Rock solid 60fps. Only time it dips is on Fountain of Dreams with 4 players. That's why it's a neutral stage in tournament singles but banned in doubles.

OmegaZero

Zero would be an amazing choice if they're going to continue the 3rd party character inclusion thing. He'd be like a faster, weaker Link or something.
After Onimusha Blade Warriors, I want to see MMZ Zero in 3D again.

Gravijah

Zero would be an amazing choice if they're going to continue the 3rd party character inclusion thing. He'd be like a faster, weaker Link or something.
After Onimusha Blade Warriors, I want to see MMZ Zero in 3D again.

man, no. zero sucks. how about megaman goddamn x.

qq more

Fuck X. Put in CLASSIC Mega Man.

Legends' Mega Man is fine to just to make up for the loss of a certain game I won't name.

I've never even heard of Star Tropics.
Fuck X. Put in CLASSIC Mega Man.

Legends' Mega Man is fine to just to make up for the loss of a certain game I won't name.
Legends 3: The Game That Would Sell 10 Copies?

If they add more third-party characters, I hope they sort of take the Super Mario Bros. Crossover route and focus on characters who were big on the NES (like Simon Belmont and Ryu Hayabusa). I would love that.

Kjellson

I hope the Dojo thread won't be like the current Melee vs. Brawl discussions, and more like "Game of the Forever" and "the only thing this game is missing is a kitchen sink".

heynow12

Banned
The addition of Waluigi or Toad would be absolutely nothing to get excited about. At least you guys should be creative and think of characters Nintendo could conceivably pay other developers for ala Snake and Sonic.

I'd love Hawaiian-shirt Mario from Sunshine. Maybe if we're lucky they could even make the original red-overalls Mario a separate character!

Kjellson

The addition of Waluigi or Toad would be absolutely nothing to get excited about. At least you guys should be creative and think of characters Nintendo could conceivably pay other developers for ala Snake and Sonic.
Someone had an idea earlier in this thread that was about Toad, but having him on a gocart. Amazing idea if you ask me.

Edit: Here is the post.

heynow12

Banned
Here is a SSB4 poll a user has been running on Smashboards, Gamefaqs and Nsider. It has received a lot of votes, and I cannot see it hurting to extend the poll out to other demographics. One important note is you can only vote ONCE in the poll.

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/545228

Now if Banjo and Kazooie or Rayman are in this game I'll be totally re-psyched. Unfortunately pretty unlikely since Rare and Michel Ancel have pretty contentious relationship with Nintendo

KevinCow

Banned
Classic Mega Man, and all his moves should be shooting something. No punches or kicks. Every move, normals and specials, should have him stick out his gun and fire one of the many, many power-ups from the 10 classic series games.

The only exceptions are d-tilt, which has to be his slide, and n-air, which has to be Top Spin.

Azure J

Classic Mega Man, and all his moves should be shooting something. No punches or kicks. Every move, normals and specials, should have him stick out his gun and fire one of the many, many power-ups from the 10 classic series games.

The only exceptions are d-tilt, which has to be his slide, and n-air, which has to be Top Spin.

Up B needs to be him riding Rush like a hoverboard MM8 intro style.

udivision

voted...and wouldn't bowser jr be more or less the same as baby bowser?

Yea... but if you wanted to differentiate, Bowser Jr. could have Shadow Mario/Paintbrush related abilities. He's also been seen to use the clowncopter. Baby Bowser fights more like Bowers (ground pounds and the like) and relies more on Kamek.

I don't know if that has been put out there, but Girahim was such a memorable charcter and he has AMAZING Smash Brothers Potential.

Alright now think about this, I imagine he could play as a mewtwo character crossed with link.

GhirahimBrawl.png

Revven

There are few actual true combos in the game since hitstun is so low and you can also cancel hitstun with an airdodge or an aerial attack. Whatever combos you think you're pulling off were probably escapable.

This is somewhat correct. Though, in all actuality, Melee and Brawl share the same hitstun value. The key difference is what you said, you can cancel the hitstun with an attack or an air dodge, making it impossible to actually follow-up from anything above 40-50% (or a little higher, depending on the move).

The only things that ever will combo legitimately in Brawl are those that induce weak stun, or put you into the state before the tumble state. Things like Sheik's Ftilt at low %s can be linked into themselves over and over again, but the main reason that works is because you can't DI during weak stun (or weak tumble, depending on the terminology you prefer). Yes, you can still SDI those moves, but most moves that do that tend to have really low SDI multipliers making SDI ineffective for escape.

It's also why DDD's down throw is a chain grab, why Falco's down throw is a chain grab, and so on. Had you been able to DI during this state (weak stun/weak tumble) a lot of the problems Brawl has would immediately be solved. Unfortunately, Sakurai thought it was a cool idea to disable the ability to DI during weak stun as if to possibly make up for the fact that he got rid of comboing at higher %s. Which as everyone who has watched competitive SSBB can see now broke a lot of things (I say broke because DDD's Dthrow wasn't intended to CG most likely).

Anyway, this is partially off topic, I just wanted to bring that to light as a deeper explanation on it. Most people prefer to just say Brawl has low hitstun however partially incorrect that may be when there's a lot more factors involved in how combos were possible in Melee. ;)

As far as the new Smash games go, I'm keeping my eye on them and hoping for a lot more NEW characters this time around. Hoping Sakurai doesn't cut anyone at all at this point and only adds to the roster (I mean, why would you cut Ganondorf for example, in favor of Ghirahim when Ganondorf has been in the last two Smash games? Would make a lot of players upset). I'd also hope that maybe he'll actually allow for combos again but that seems highly doubtful and is only wishful thinking on my part.

I would certainly like to see Megaman in this like everybody else does, he makes a perfect fit for the game and in fact, started off on Nintendo's consoles so... it only makes sense. =\

Just gotta hope Sakurai doesn't do anything as stupid as tripping this time around. God forbid he makes characters have any more "realistic accidents" occur...

Done rambling lol.

DarkKyo

200px-Skull_Kid.png

Ghirahim is likely, but I thought he was a shitty villain. Oh well.

I guess I meant how they are likely to include a character from the most recent game. Skull Kid would be awesome! But I really liked Ghirahim so I'd love to see them use him again. I can just imagine his annoying voice yelling out during a match.

This is somewhat correct. Though, in all actuality, Melee and Brawl share the same hitstun value. The key difference is what you said, you can cancel the hitstun with an attack or an air dodge, making it impossible to actually follow-up from anything above 40-50% (or a little higher, depending on the move).

The only things that ever will combo legitimately in Brawl are those that induce weak stun, or put you into the state before the tumble state. Things like Sheik's Ftilt at low %s can be linked into themselves over and over again, but the main reason that works is because you can't DI during weak stun (or weak tumble, depending on the terminology you prefer). Yes, you can still SDI those moves, but most moves that do that tend to have really low SDI multipliers making SDI ineffective for escape.

It's also why DDD's down throw is a chain grab, why Falco's down throw is a chain grab, and so on. Had you been able to DI during this state (weak stun/weak tumble) a lot of the problems Brawl has would immediately be solved. Unfortunately, Sakurai thought it was a cool idea to disable the ability to DI during weak stun as if to possibly make up for the fact that he got rid of comboing at higher %s. Which as everyone who has watched competitive SSBB can see now broke a lot of things (I say broke because DDD's Dthrow wasn't intended to CG most likely).

Anyway, this is partially off topic, I just wanted to bring that to light as a deeper explanation on it. Most people prefer to just say Brawl has low hitstun however partially incorrect that may be when there's a lot more factors involved in how combos were possible in Melee. ;)
Truth be told, I actually knew all of this and learned a lot of it from following the Project M development thread since it's inception. Glad that you went into detail though because I certainly didn't care to when I knew it was just going to be glossed over by more character wishing/speculation anyways. Most of the time it's easier to just say that the hitstun is lower since being able to cancel it almost immediately gives the same end result anyways, even if it is technically a half truth.

Poyunch

Ghirahim was a terrible villain. All he is a bunch of wacky lines and mannerisms. That's basically every Zelda character and he's about as deep as a typical Zelda NPC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom