• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Ghirahim was a terrible villain. All he is a bunch of wacky lines and mannerism. That's basically every Zelda character and he's about as deep as a typical Zelda NPC as well.

I liked his dialog, even if he was a bad villain. He'd be amazing for Smash though.

Especially his brawler form from the third fight

DarkKyo

Ghirahim was a terrible villain. All he is a bunch of wacky lines and mannerism. That's basically every Zelda character and he's about as deep as a typical Zelda NPC as well.

I guess that's your opinion. I didn't find him as wacky as Zant, lol. Ghirahim was more about anger.

Skull kid isn't exciting, he is much too old and not a lot of people played Majora's Mask as other Zelda games.

Girahim has the most smash potential I've got to say.

Also I hope they keep final smashes, they are a fun thing for casual play and they can be turned off.

Girahim final smash:

Turns into Demise, so good.

DarkKyo

Anger? He seemed more like a sadist to me.

furious5tuh.gif

But yeah he was sadistic too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ghirahim could be an awesome Smash character. He'd have a move that would steal other characters' weapons and use them for a brief amount of time. And also teleport around the stage.

DarkKyo

Ghirahim could be an awesome Smash character. He'd have a move that would steal other characters' weapons and use them for a brief amount of time. And also teleport around the stage.

He'd also have a charge and shoot arcane knives move like he did a hundred times in the first two boss fights.

You are now aware that we are going to get an SS-style Ganondorf for SSBU.

All of my money.

And he's still going to be a Captain Falcon clone :'(

There were plans to have Sheik in Twilight Princess. Not saying you're wrong to say this but there was way more precedent for having a Twilight Princess-styled Sheik.

I know, I'm just having a bit of fun (and I would kill for a TP style Ganny).

On the topic of movesets, honestly, I hope they deviate more. Brawl tried that but the hard-clones from Melee are hard to get over. No reason Wolf should have been so similar. If he's around for the Wii U, he should be very different.

Slippy and/or Krystal will make SSBU but be Fox clones with Landmasters. Believe.

On the topic of movesets, honestly, I hope they deviate more. Brawl tried that but the hard-clones from Melee are hard to get over. No reason Wolf should have been so similar. If he's around for the Wii U, he should be very different.

Thores

Ghirahim is a shoe in. The more villains the better.

I think he's a perfect candidate from a moveset perspective. But I think it's a good idea to remember that the amount of Zelda games he's in, and the amount he's likely going to be in for the franchise's enitre lifetime, is 1. And that one game will probably have been out for at least two years by the time SSB4 comes out. He's super relevant right now, but he's kind of a flavor of the week, and I don't think he'll be nearly as notable in two years. And yeah, he definitely wouldn't be the first character made playable who only has short-term relevance, but those other characters had release windows much closer to the release of the Smash game in question.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in, but I don't think he's the "sure thing" that everyone's assuming.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Wut

His only clone move is Landmaster. The rest comes from the fact that he's a pilot like Fox, but even then they're very different. He's essentially a space werewolf.

Emitan

Wut

His only clone move is Landmaster. The rest comes from the fact that he's a pilot like Fox, but even then they're very different. He's essentially a space werewolf.

HE HAS A BLASTER AND REFLECTOR

TOTALLY THE SAME

JUST LIKE HOW EVERY CHARACTER IN STREET FIGHTER IS A CLONE BECAUSE THEY HAVE FIREBALLS

squid

Ok, so I've been thinking of how they could improve on Brawl.

- Adventure mode. I can see what they were trying to do with Subspace Emissary and it was nice that they put that effort into it (some of those cut-scenes were awesome), but it just didn't really work that well IMO. The controls just aren't suited for a platforming beat-em-up type of game. I still like the idea of a campaign mode with a story linking all the characters together and letting you unlock stuff, but it should be in a different form.

- Characters. I don't care if we don't get a big increase in characters, as long as we get good characters. Let's get Megaman, Toad, Ridley and King K. Rule. Oh and Paper Mario is a personal favourite of mine, so it'd be nice to have him!

- Online. Kinda obvious. Competitions, no lag, rankings, etc.

Also looking forward to how they use the WiiU controller and the 3DS compatibility.

Antioch

What do you guys want as the title? I mean the Wii U might make something like Universe or Ultimate obvious, but I'm not sure I like those.

heynow12

Banned
Has anyone mentioned Mickey yet? That's gotta be a no-brainer new addition right? Pefect for this series..Who doesnt wanna bash up Mickey??

Thores

What do you guys want as the title? I mean the Wii U might make something like Universe or Ultimate obvious, but I'm not sure I like those.

I've heard Super Smash Bros. Royale flying around and I like that as a name for the Wii U version.

The 3DS one should be called Super Smash Bros. Scuffle.

Edit: Alternately for consoles, Super Smash Bros. Showdown.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We need playable Braviary!

HE HAS A BLASTER AND REFLECTOR

TOTALLY THE SAME

JUST LIKE HOW EVERY CHARACTER IN STREET FIGHTER IS A CLONE BECAUSE THEY HAVE FIREBALLS

Man makes me wonder if they'd play older fighting games

OMG RUGAL AND GEESE HAVE REPPUUKENS! THEY'RE CLONES!

GamerSoul

I think he's a perfect candidate from a moveset perspective. But I think it's a good idea to remember that the amount of Zelda games he's in, and the amount he's likely going to be in for the franchise's enitre lifetime, is 1. And that one game will probably have been out for at least two years by the time SSB4 comes out. He's super relevant right now, but he's kind of a flavor of the week, and I don't think he'll be nearly as notable in two years. And yeah, he definitely wouldn't be the first character made playable who only has short-term relevance, but those other characters had release windows much closer to the release of the Smash game in question.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in, but I don't think he's the "sure thing" that everyone's assuming.

You bring up a good point, but I'm one of those who believes Smash Bros is like a snapshot of where Nintendo's is currently at character/game-wise, in a way. The icons and veterans will always be there but the current, popular characters like Roy, Pichu, Ike, and Lucario are there to give new players familiar faces and really deserve to be there because of their success and uniqeness. They're a pretty good balance of newcomers/vets so its a good thing. Also some characters like Sheik haven't been relevant for awhile either but they stay relevant to Smash.

I see this game coming out in 2014/2015. Keeping my hype down for now.

Same. The wait is too long + no info.

For the Melee vs Brawl physics debate, I'd be ok with a "turbo" option ala Street Fighter that increases the game speed to around Melee-level. As long as the core movement is snappy, I think it could satisfy everyone. Of course, it would be integrated into playlists:

Unranked playlists (default settings, all stages)
Brawl - 4 man FFA (1 or 4 man parties only)
Singles - 1v1
Doubles - 2v2

Ranked playlists (turbo mode, no items, neutral and counterpick stages only)
Singles Pro - 1v1
Doubles Pro - 2v2

And of course, unranked double XP events! Including Smash Ball Saturday and Mushroom Monday!

For the Melee vs Brawl physics debate, I'd be ok with a "turbo" option ala Street Fighter that increases the game speed to around Melee-level. As long as the core movement is snappy, I think it could satisfy everyone.
Brawl already has something like this, it's in the Special Brawl options. You have Slow/Fast options, Melee had this too. This doesn't solve the core problems in Brawl's fighting engine that heavily favor a defensive playstyle, it merely makes everything happen faster. I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with building the next Smash to be closer to Melee. Casual players loved Melee, and they love Brawl because it has a shit ton of new content but pay no mind to the intricate changes in the fighting engine. Basically, they're pretty easy to please. I guarantee you, had Brawl played like Melee but with all the new content nobody would be saying "I wish Brawl was floatier" or "this game would be great with 10 frames of buffer on all my actions!" or "I wish my shieldstun was much lower so I could shieldgrab everything" or "man it'd be hilarious if characters just randomly fell over every now and then!" etc, etc.

Because I never heard anyone say anything like that in the 6 years and few months of Melee before Brawl's release.

Codeblue

Brawl already has something like this, it's in the Special Brawl options. You have Slow/Fast options, Melee had this too. This doesn't solve the core problems in Brawl's fighting engine that heavily favor a defensive playstyle, it merely makes everything happen faster. I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with building the next Smash to be closer to Melee. Casual players loved Melee, and they love Brawl because it has a shit ton of new content but pay no mind to the intricate changes in the fighting engine. Basically, they're pretty easy to please. I guarantee you, had Brawl played like Melee but with all the new content nobody would be saying "I wish Brawl was floatier" or "this game would be great with 10 frames of buffer on all my actions!" or "I wish my shieldstun was much lower so I could shieldgrab everything" or "man it'd be hilarious if characters just randomly fell over every now and then!" etc, etc.

Because I never heard anyone say anything like that in the 6 years and few months of Melee before Brawl's release.
Agreed. I still play the game aggressively, and as a result I hate shield grabbing more than tripping. I could play defensively but that's no fun, my friends feel otherwise though.

If nothing else, I hope they shift the favorability back to offensive styles, I don't care how fast it is or if the mechanics are as deep as Melee. I just want to be able to attack without being at disadvantage for not stalling until my opponent gets impatient and rushes me.

Antioch

R.O.B? Anyway, maybe they call him "Epic Mickey" and kmake him always be holding a paitbrush. Boom. Differentiated b/w video game character and corporate mascot.

Well, R.O.B's origin is at least game related, and if I'm not mistaken Gyromite is just as old as the peripheral, so it could be argued that R.O.B did originate as a character in a game. And honestly the Mickey suggestion just reminds me of some of the worst Brawl suggestions from way back, like people wanting Harry Potter in the game. I mean, I'm hesitant even of wanting any additional 3rd party characters, let alone non-gaming ones. It would make the roster convoluted, it's supposed to be Nintendo mascots fighting.

Personally, I don't think Smash 4 needs as much newcomers as Melee and Brawl did. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Noooope.jpeg

There's so many options it's just flat out funny to think that NOW we have just the right amount of "deserving" characters.

Here's a simple list with a few reasons splashed in ...
Common list ...
Lil Mac
Ridley
Krystal
Toad
Some FE character
Bring back Mewtwo

Some characters that can actually get in that arnt ON that list?

Impa
LoZ
320px-Sheikah_Guardian.png

She's been in enough LoZ games to get in. At the very least she should replace Sheik ... GG Sakurai, let go of OoT >_>

Isa and Kachi S&P

"But it's not a successful hit series!!!" w/e, it's an unique fan favorite Game and Nintendo has taken notice of it. They would be great characters for the "not so well known" series.

Medusa and Palutena Kid Icarus
Palutena_Uprising.png

Medusa-kid-icarus-13175512-673-1103.jpg

Need I explain the nepotism?

Princess Rosalina Mario
princess_rosetta_420_1194999503.jpg

Nintendo seems to want her in the Mario Club seeing as she's in the kart series now so ... why not?

Matthew &/ Or Young/ Old Isaac Golden Sun
272px-GSDDMatthew.jpg

332px-Gs-isaac.jpg
/
DDIsaac.png

Golden Sun has 3 games and apparently it aint gonna stop there (Rumor has it that there's a 3DS game coming ...). If EB/ Mother can get 2 characters then why not?

Betty battalion wars
Betty-BWii.jpg

It's one of those series that seem to show up once a gen and I'm sure there's gonna be a game for WU. That my be reaching but hell, why not add in a character from an army Nintendo game?

There's also ...
2nd party and New Ips
shulk_fiorung.jpeg

Capture.png

Those IPs need love to.

There's a ton of fish in this barrel, just cause brawl got a lot of giv-me/ common sense picks doesn't mean they're all spoken for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom