• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzmanZ

You know who needs to be in?

A Rhythm heaven character, uses the power of dance and various wacky things from the series.

You're all secretly wanting this, especially if it's the Ringside Luchadore.

gosox333

3rd Party Characters I want to see:

Mega Man
Tails
Geno
Ryu
Sora

Mega Man seems like the obvious next choice for a third party character in Smash Bros. Tails is admittedly me just being biased, but it'd be pretty awesome to see him in there. Geno I honestly just picked because the rest of the internet says so. Ryu is another iconic third party character that would make sense. Maybe not as likely as Mega Man, but still pretty likely. And Sora... I could see maybe possibly but kinda not really happening. He isn't as household as the others, but if KH 3D does well enough, that might help his case.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright,

SSB: 12 characters and 9 stages
SSBM: 26 characters and 29 stages
SSBB: 39 characters and 41 stages
SSBU: ? characters and ? stages

If you do it by taking the average of how many additions each sequel has had:

SSBRoyaleWithCheese: 5355 characters and 57 stages

WOW
This is probably way more then the final game will have

JazzmanZ

I hope they give all the big franchises equal amount of stages in the Wii U and not like Brawls :|

Mario got a whopping 4 new stages for his franchise, while Kirby only got the Halbred stage.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I hope they give all the big franchises equal amount of stages in the Wii U and not like Brawls :|

Mario got a whopping 4 new stages for his franchise, while Kirby only got the Halbred stage.

I agreed. It would be nice if character would get their own representation stage. Also I found the link to article where the person thought sakurai would mention 50 characters.

http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

he said he could but he don't meant it as confirmation.

JazzmanZ

I agreed. It would be nice if character would get their own representation stage. Also I found the link to article where the person thought sakurai would mention 50 characters.

http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

he said he could but he don't meant it as confirmation.

Earthbound was even worse, getting only one new stage and it's a stage barely anyone plays on because it's fucking huge.

Atleast they got some awesome stuff in SSE like the porky statue and boss fight.

Snakey

3rd Party Characters I want to see:
Geno I honestly just picked because the rest of the internet says so.

More proof about my assessment that much of Geno's requests actually derive from blind bandwagonism. Fortunately, the bandwagon for Geno has mostly died out. I think even Waluigi would make more sense as a Mario newcomer than a one-shot side character. The best choices for a Mario newcomer are Toad, Paper Mario, or Bowser Jr.

Also, I sincerely hope that Sakurai will have Ridley as one of the first newcomers unveiled. He is probably the most well-known Nintendo character (outside of the Mario universe) that is not yet playable in Smash Bros.

?oe?oe

Kamek > Geno

Come on this bandwagon guys!

You know who needs to be in?

A Rhythm heaven character, uses the power of dance and various wacky things from the series.

You're all secretly wanting this, especially if it's the Ringside Luchadore.
?oe?oe Likes this post.

Bentendo

We really need some pre-video game recognition. How about the Custom Gunman:

quoting because of big image said:
beforemario_dot_com_custom_10.JPG

Tyeforce

We really need some pre-video game recognition. How about the Custom Gunman:
I think it'd be neat to see Hanafuda be represented in some way, namely in the character Rainman:

234393999_4ac87f70d2_m.jpg

But I guess Nintendo doesn't really own the character. However, I saw a moveset someone thought up for him based on the different cards in the game years ago, and it's actually very plausible. Though his chances of actually becoming a playable character is a completely different story.

tinders

Toon Link probably gets re-replaced with Young Link since OoT3D is more recent

Would like to see Young Link get the Pokemon Trainer treatment (aka Mask Link). Have the ability to transform into Deku, Goron & Zora Links - with Fierce Deity Link as the Final Smash (if they return). Would work well if Majora's Mask gets the 3DS remake.

The problem is that Krystal has a strong NEGATIVE connotation with the series since Star Fox 64. When people tend to think of GOOD Star Fox, they think of Fox, Falco, Peppy, and Slippy, and maybe Star Wolf as well.
So it's as I said ... you're basing this on the prediction that in a possible reboot of the series at some unknown time in the future you simply feel that the devs, whatever team they may be, will erase her in your PoV atleast.

I will simply say that not only do we (you and me) not know if it's getting a reboot, we don't know who would be doing the reboot nor do we have any clue as to wth they think of the characters.

If comics and movies and shows have shown us anything it's that a "reboot" can be used to change/ fix/ improve characters and plot elements that may have gotten lost in the process of the original run ... they don't have to be simple resets that moves on from a single point in the timeline deemed "safe".

As to your second question, post a poll or topic on any site. Ask them if they prefer Saki or Isa. I can guarantee you that on every site you post this question on, there would be an overwhelming preference for Saki over Isa.

Usually, when I am unsure of something, I make sure to mention in my post that I am uncertain about it. I am extremely certain that Saki has far more popularity than Isa does.

Who would I be polling? Smash fans or S&P fans? Cause I'm sure smash fans may have a favorite simply out of limited exposure to the series and I'm sure Sakurai isn't thinking in this way.

I personally don't care.
Saki and Airan Jo
Kachi and Isa Jo
I would love what I'm envisioning to be a Mario-Luigi like relationship in move-sets either way. Just don't see why they would pick the older and now " less relevant" characters to the series over the newer ones when they have this clue new thing called"Alt costumes".

qq more

Krystal is one of the worst things to happen to Star Fox. I was so fucking happy that Wolf was picked over her in Brawl. I really thought she was gonna be in for sure.

(Also, Wolf is fucking awesome.)

Kjellson

I really hope no one will be cut, I'm hoping instead for the return for characters like Mewtoo and maybe Roy (I don't know anything about Fire Emblem so I don't know if he's "important" enough for SSB). The only ones I don't care about is Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Anyway, I wonder who the inevitable Gen V Pokémon will be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people saying reboot?

Star Fox is just as "reboot" as Zelda games - they just released their most famous titles in the 3DS, that's all. That's not a reboot at all. It's as bad as people saying "every Smash iteration will remove the newcomer pokemon"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope no one will be cut, I'm hoping instead for the return for characters like Mewtoo and maybe Roy (I don't know anything about Fire Emblem so I don't know if he's "important" enough for SSB). The only ones I don't care about is Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Anyway, I wonder who the inevitable Gen V Pokémon will be.

Eh, Roy and Mewtwo data was in brawl, so they were two out of five characters that got cut out due to time restricted, I assumed.

Eh, Roy and Mewtwo data was in brawl, so they were two out of five characters that got cut out due to time restricted, I assumed.

There's Dr. Mario data as well.

EDIT: Random thought to a potential pre-video game Nintendo character--Mach Rider would be a good choice. He originated as toy back in the 70s, and could serve as a old-school game character as well. One two punch.

Ithil

Obviously Link is going to be updated to his Skyward Sword design (which will be cool to see in HD), but will they tinker with his moveset to include new things from that game or not?

In Brawl he was pretty much unchanged despite his TP update, but SS has a lot more change in items than TP did, and let's face it, Link isn't exactly a stellar fighter in SSB. Toon Link, sure, but Link never was much use.

WillyFive

Obviously Link is going to be updated to his Skyward Sword design (which will be cool to see in HD), but will they tinker with his moveset to include new things from that game or not?

In Brawl he was pretty much unchanged despite his TP update, but SS has a lot more change in items than TP did, and let's face it, Link isn't exactly a stellar fighter in SSB. Toon Link, sure, but Link never was much use.

They should, since Mario was updated for Brawl to include is Sunshine moveset.

Well one of the Link's better have a move set retooling, it always felt like such a waste that Toon Link had the same basic moves as standard Link.

In fact you wouldn't even have to change the standard move set too much for Skyward Sword influence.

Standard b= Bow
up b= Skyward Strike (able to hold after the charge, can be unleashed as a projectile or as one of the two types of spin attacks)
forward b= Whip (also able to grab items from a distance)
down b= Bombs that also have rolling capabilities
Glide= Sail cloth
Grab= Dual Clawshots

So similar to before but with more options.

Azure J

Well one of the Link's better have a move set retooling, it always felt like such a waste that Toon Link had the same basic moves as standard Link.

In fact you wouldn't even have to change the standard move set too much for Skyward Sword influence.

Standard b= Bow
up b= Skyward Strike (able to hold after the charge, can be unleashed as a projectile or as one of the two types of spin attacks)
Glide= Sail cloth
Grab= Dual Clawshots

We totally need some beetle action. It'd be so cool if it could troll and hold people in place after shooting forward, but only for a limited time. Maybe it could even act like the whip does in your concept. I'm also thinking about how gust bellows could be used in a cool manner, but nothing's coming to mind now.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Standard b= Bow
Glide= Sail cloth
Grab= Dual Clawshots

But how does he recover?

SmithnCo

Link should have a simple glide, if Toon Link makes it in they could reskin the sailcloth to be the leaf too. Might make his recovery options better especially if you can glide then hookshot to a ledge.

spanks

Nah, I reckon they'll go with whatever artstyle Zelda Wii U has. That way they can pretty much copy/paste the assets like they did with Brawl/TP, instead of building them from scratch. Probably same with Mario, it'd be smart of them to shave down dev time/costs a little bit by sharing assets, especially considering how expensive HD is gonna be for Nintendo.

Skyward Strike would probably be a property added to his smash attack.

The OoT worship seems to come from the fact that the first two Smash games came between OoT and WW. With Link, at least, he was based around items that were available in the majority of his games. Ganondorf was based on attacks from a completely different character. Zelda was the most egregious offender, but at that point OoT was the only game where she was developed enough to draw a moveset from.

As for potentially cut characters, from Melee > Brawl, we lost:

Dr. Mario
Roy
Pichu
Mewtwo

3 were clones. 2 were same character duplicates, one was sacrificed in the name of having Pokemon form beyond the first generation, and one was a Fire Emblem new lord who didn't have much staying power.

I could see Sonic and Snake being cut simply for licensing reasons. Third party guest stars could be a one time deal.

The only ones I see as potentially choppable are:

Toon Link
Shiek (in favor of Impa)
Ike (In favor of another FE Lord)
Lucario (In favor of a B/W pokemon that they can build around a similar moveset)
Sonic
Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom