• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My choice for Lyn really has nothing to do with boobs. I'm a fan of the series and I don't see her as that. The FE series has many unique characters and I think she would be a great, unique, familiar choice. It's more of the fact that she has relevance to FE fans who started and enjoyed the series from FE7 onward. I agree that Ike was a better choice. She's also a different and unique type of Lord like Ike and wields Mani Katti which has more possiblitites for a moveset. There's also the added fact she can wield a bow which can even add more to her dynamic. I would love more female characters and I'll admit that but they have to be more than just a pair of tits, imo. I think Lyn has more potential than that.

I would like to mention that I would rather to see other swordsmen to get in over Lyn for now.

Those swordsmen that I would like to see (if all characters would return from Brawl.)

Takamaru
Shulk
Isaac/Matthew/Felix
Roy (He was planned to be in Brawl so I don't think they would give up with Roy this time but who know)

Snakey

My choice for Lyn really has nothing to do with boobs. I'm a fan of the series and I don't see her as that. The FE series has many unique characters and I think she would be a great, unique, familiar choice.
And I kinda already believe Palutena and Medusa will be in. They can practically use the same model and make them slight clones. It's an easy choice.

Nope. Lyn's sword is a katana. She would have to compete with Takamaru (who is the most wanted retro character in Japan) and Samurai Goroh (2nd or 3rd most notable F-Zero character). Unlike Lyn, both of these characters have made appearances in other games outside of Smash Bros. Samurai Goroh is certainly more well known than Lyn. So once one of these two characters gets in she would not be an unique addition, unless you want her in as a clone of Takamaru and/or Samurai Goroh. In regards to familarity, Roy also has her beat due to being a playable character in Melee (which was the highest selling game on the GameCube).

Also, a bow would only be useful for one special move, and probably would not operate differently from the bow special move that Link and Toon Link have.

I bought melee at a thrift store today and still had my save from years ago still on my memory card.

Haha I don't care if it's not a staged liked by people, I want Poke Floats as a retro stage for the next smash B^)

Tyeforce

Here are the characters that I'd like to see in the next Smash Bros.:

Paper Mario
Prince Fluff
Zoroark
Animal Crosser
Little Mac
Mii
Mega Man

There are definitely other characters that I'd like to see, but these are the ones that I absolutely want the most.

GamerSoul

I would like to mention that I would rather to see other swordsmen to get in over Lyn for now.

Those swordsmen that I would like to see (if all characters would return from Brawl.)

Takamaru
Shulk
Isaac/Matthew/Felix
Roy (He was planned to be in Brawl so I don't think they would give up with Roy this time but who know)

There are alot of potential swordsmen that I'd love to get in. Isaac DEFINITELY needs to be in.

Nope. Lyn's sword is a katana. She would have to compete with Takamaru (who is the most wanted retro character in Japan) and Samurai Goroh (who is like either 2nd or 3rd most notable F-Zero character). Unlike Lyn, both of these characters have made appearances in other games outside of Smash Bros. Samurai Goroh is certainly more well known than Lyn. So once one of these two characters gets in she would not be an unique addition, unless you want her in as a clone of Takamaru and/or Samurai Goroh. In regards to familarity, Roy also has her beat due to being a playable character in Melee (which was the highest selling game on the GameCube).

Also, a bow would only be useful for one special move, and probably would not operate differently from bow-special move that Link and Toon Link have.

Yea those two katana users are the more probable choices but Lyn is from a different series and would definitely play differently from Goroh and her moveset could be a based off of Takamaru like you mentioned if they really wanted to do it. And with the added bow would be exactly like Link's. I've always thought of them adding a CRIT random factor for her bow similar to how Luigi has his sideB random combustion but hers would be a giveaway if they added her CRIT Bow spin animation. Her Sol Katti would have to be shortened though if they gave her her main Weapon lol. I know her chances are not that good but she's on my wish list.

Emitan

Who gets cut from SSBB to SSBU?

I say Toon Link, Lucas, Lucario, Ike, and Jigglypuff.

IMMA CUT YOU

TS28L.png

Berordn

Toon Link probably gets re-replaced with Young Link since OoT3D is more recent, Lucas isn't going anywhere, Lucario might be swapped for someone else since 4th gen doesn't need a mascot anymore, Ike fights for his friends and they fight back, and Jigglypuff is a series staple who's never leaving.

Seems more likely that they just keep them all though. No reason to cut anyone anymore.

Cedric

Why are people going for Lyn as a "diverse" FE rep? At the end of the day she's a sword user just like Roy, Marth and Ike. Even though they play differently within the series, I don't think the Smash universe can make 4 sword users, although from different classes, play differently. I haven't played FE7 yet, but I'd rather have Hector for diversity or Ephraim from FE8. Can't speak for the earlier FE games, since I've only played FE8, 9, 10 (I have Shadow Dragons also, but I stopped after a few chapters, gonna finish it eventually).

Why do we have to cut anyone off?

To give each game its own identity (this is why physics change as well). Also to make room for more Newcomers.

Why do we need to make room? It's not like people won't notice the new characters.

Sakurai said he was thinking 50 characters. That's only 15 Newcomers, which would be fine, normally. But new Nintendo loves them some third party support, and there's no better way of courting that than by giving them each a spot on the roster.

Snakey

I say hopefully no one. I'm actually for bringing back all of the cut characters from Melee myself.

I don't think any of Brawl's characters should be cut either. I am also in favor of bringing back Melee's cut characters (with the exception of Young Link, since Toon Link was basically a modern update to him).

Thores

Jigglypuff is a staple of the series at this point. All of the original 12 are going to be in the next Smash and every Smash after it, regardless of diminished relevance. I think that characters that made it from Melee to Brawl are pretty safe too, but not to the same extent.

Those other four feel on shaky-ish ground to me as well though. I'm not saying any of them being cut is a sure thing or even that they should be cut, but them missing wouldn't be surprises. Toon Link might stay and get redesigned again, depending on the aesthetic of the 3DS Zelda. I've got a hunch he'll be a kid in that one, but not with the Wind Waker art style.

Tyeforce

If anyone gets cut, I think it should be Jigglypuff, and only Jigglypuff, just because she isn't nearly as relevant as many other possible Pokémon characters now. Lucario is still very popular, so I think he should stay. Just add Zoroark in Jigglypuff's place. Aside from Jigglypuff, there's not really any other character who should be cut. There's not any good reason for other characters to be cut.

Octorox

Neo Member
This.

They really need to move out of the OoT era for LoZ characters. Stop acting as if that's the be all and end all for the series ... if it's that important to have Sheik in then atleast make it make sense for the latest game.

I really wonder if they will have custom attacks this time. If so then I'm sure they could use that option to "fix" Ganon and make moves that are based on SS for Zelda.

They could always add SS Impa and give her Sheik's moveset, and give both her and Zelda a new DownB

GamerSoul

Sakurai said he was thinking 50 characters. That's only 15 Newcomers, which would be fine, normally. But new Nintendo loves them some third party support, and there's no better way of courting that than by giving them each a spot on the roster.

15 seems like alot to me..i'd be happy with 15. I'm not sure about the 3rd party roster other than MegaMan and Snake if he returns.

Snakey

15 seems like alot to me..i'd be happy with 15. I'm not sure about the 3rd party roster other than MegaMan and Snake if he returns.

Most Smash Bros. fans would be satisfied with the only third-party characters in Smash 4 being Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man. If there is another third-party character it will probably be due to a third-party developer being interested in seeing a character of their's playable in Smash 4.

GamerSoul

Most Smash Bros. fans would be satisfied with the only third-party characters in Smash 4 being Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man. If there is another third-party character it will probably be due to a third-party developer being interested in seeing a character of their's playable in Smash 4.

True and it makes sense, I remember reading something that mentioned that nobody else other than maybe SEGA? really contacted Sakurai to get their character in. Kojima knows Sak so that's an easy one.

Snakey

Its important to note when Sakurai talks about how many characters are in a Smash Bros. game he always uses the total number of characters, not the number of slots (ie. he refers to Melee as having 26 characters, and Brawl as having 39).

As to how many playable characters Smash 4 will have, Melee added 14 additional characters over Smash 64, and Brawl added 13 additional characters over Melee. The total character count for Melee and Brawl was a multiple of 13 too.

I am guessing that if these trends hold true for Smash 4, the total number of playable characters for Smash 4 will be either 52 or 53.

For a 53 characters roster, it would have 50 slots on the characters selections screen. One slot would be the random icon (meaning 49 actual character portraits) plus the four transformation characters from Brawl, would get us 53 characters.

I seriously hope they don't remove anyone from Brawl. If they bring back the cut Melee characters Dr. Mario and Young Link should probably become costumes for their respective orginals (for that matter, why not make the OoT models in Melee and TP models in Brawl costumes for the inevitable Skyward Sword versions of the characters in Smash 4?)

-KRS-

The size of this thread blows my mind. There's literally NO INFO on this game but that doesn't stop this thread from having more than 3000 posts :lol

This is what I love about GAF. Keep it up guys. While I'm not much of a speculator myself, it's entertaining to read others' speculations. :)

And to top it all off since development of this game has probably only JUST started, we're likely to have another year and a bit of this before it gets a proper announcement.

But it's all in good fun.

GamerSoul

I am guessing that if these trends hold true for Smash 4, the total number of playable characters for Smash 4 will be either 52 or 53.

For a 53 characters roster, it would have 50 slots on the characters selections screen. One slot would be the random icon (meaning 49 actual character portraits) plus the four transformation characters from Brawl, would get us 53 characters.

If it gets anywhere near that 50 mark that character select screen is going to be glorious.

And to top it all off since development of this game has probably only JUST started, we're likely to have another year and a bit of this before it gets a proper announcement.

Yea there's always something that can be talked about.

Snakey

There are many, many people that are expecting an unveil for Smash 4 similar to one Brawl had (at E3 2006) at E3 2012. What most of these people don't realize is that Sakurai only finished Kid Icarus Uprising a few weeks ago, and the game will only be a few months in development by the time E3 2012 rolls around (which is the first week of June).

I would not be surprised if we end up waiting until E3 2013 before we get a reveal for Smash 4.

If Kid Icarus had released at the end of last year like Nintendo originally planned and Smash started development around October (like Brawl did in '05 before its '06 announcement) then I would've expected a big announcement next year. But KI *still* isn't out, so I think it's a stretch to expect anything more tangible than yet another tease at this years E3. Maybe a logo or a CGI-teaser at the most.

Snakey

If Kid Icarus had released at the end of last year like Nintendo originally planned and Smash started development around October (like Brawl did in '05 before its '06 announcement) then I would've expected a big announcement next year. But KI *still* isn't out, so I think it's a stretch to expect anything more tangible than yet another tease at this years E3. Maybe a logo or a CGI-teaser at the most.

That is my assessment too. Sakurai's plan originally was to being development on Smash 4 in October 2011. I think if development did start then, then we probably would get a trailer at E3 2012. However, assuming that development has JUST started, we probably won't get anything more than just another mention of it (probably a few more details about it and no actual video). However, its certainly possible that Sakurai and his team are incredibly ambitious and manage to get out a teaser trailer just in time for E3, though its probably wishful thinking.

GamerSoul

Its great that he finally finished KI Uprising, but he's not getting a break lol.

Im expecting a teaser of some type around E3 like the rest of you guys but who knows exactly what will they showcase with it. Hopefully he'll be around and will take part in some roundtable talks with the media. I remember Aonuma and Miyamoto always doing those things.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
To give each game its own identity (this is why physics change as well). Also to make room for more Newcomers.

Source on 50 characters please. I am very curious about it.

It's 35 characters for Brawl (not counting any transformation characters.)

JazzmanZ

The size of this thread blows my mind. There's literally NO INFO on this game but that doesn't stop this thread from having more than 3000 posts :lol

This is what I love about GAF. Keep it up guys. While I'm not much of a speculator myself, it's entertaining to read others' speculations. :)

Just wait until the game is announced, it'll be bigger than both ultimate marvel OT threads combined

Anyone think there is a chance that the first trailer will be at E3? Nintendo obviously loves pimpin these games and even if it was early and rough, they might not be able to resist. If not, this thread is really gonna drag.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why would Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle count as one character?

I am counting how many slots on the character selection screen.

Also I don't expect any tease or trailer at e3 but if they did. It would be very nice surprise. I wish that they actually start during Oct 2011.

Not this shit again. :|

Anyway, that being said, I'm just hoping classic megaman is in it...and that 3DS stuff doesn't factor too much. As for interesting new characters...Lyn's game was popular in the west, but not so much in Japan and it's been a while since FE7 came out. They might put in that new girl from the newest game that looks totally ridiculous. I'm a big Mother fan, so Masked Man or Kumatora would be a treat but the series already has two reps. I know Momohime/Kisuke from Oboro Muramasa are a long, long stretch, but they're interestingly designed.

Source on 50 characters please. I am very curious about it.

It's 35 characters for Brawl (not counting any transformation characters.)
Melee had 13 new characters (14 if you count transformations) and Brawl had 14 new characters, 17 if you include transformations. 15 seems like a pretty safe bet in terms of how many new characters to expect, and assuming nobody from Brawl gets the shaft that'd add up to 50.

Thores

Anyone think there is a chance that the first trailer will be at E3? Nintendo obviously loves pimpin these games and even if it was early and rough, they might not be able to resist. If not, this thread is really gonna drag.

I think a CG trailer revealing 1-3 characters isn't out of the question. But seeing as they'd have, what, 3 months after Kid Icarus to put together a trailer with Wii U quality graphics, I wouldn't count on it.

Melee had 13 new characters (14 if you count transformations) and Brawl had 14 new characters, 17 if you include transformations. 15 seems like a pretty safe bet in terms of how many new characters to expect, and assuming nobody from Brawl gets the shaft that'd add up to 50.

He asked for a source on Smash Bro's claims that Sakurai had said this, not "educated guess on 50 characters please"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom