• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halycon said:
I don't think NoJ remembers Geno.
I went with Geno for a number reasons:

1) If I remember correctly, he was one of the most-requested characters in the polls. Certainly the fans remember him, and reminded Sakurai at least.
2) Although not explicitly obvious, Geno is a pseudo-rep for Square-Enix. Most every major Japanese third-party is represented (Capcom, Namco, Konami, Sega, Square-Enix). He symbolizes Nintendo third-party partnership and a Nintendo-esque twist on the RPG genre.
3) Geno has a lot of potential for a unique moveset, which is what I was trying to focus on for the newcomers. I want each new character to be as unique and different as possible. (For example, my Andy moveset involves him setting up and commanding "toy" army units that stay on the field.)
4) Geno is the lynchpin in my single-player story, unifying all of the character story threads into a single hub.
5) He serves as my WTF character without being just another "origins of Nintendo" thing like G&W or R.O.B. Kinda like the equivalent of Rocket Raccoon or something.

I also agree that the generic sword-guy from Uprising will most likely be a newcomer, and has a good chance of being broken. I think someone mentioned it before, but I kinda would also prefer Sakurai hand balancing and whatnot over to Capcom or something, as long as attempts aren't made to introduce motion commands and such into the game.

Boney

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
Considering Geno isn't owned by Nintendo, they have a good reason to.
RLH

I think Nintendo still had to get permission from Square-Enix for the cameo in Superstar Saga.

That said, I also agree that I don't see any reason why Square-Enix would refuse the character's inclusion.

I thought the reason Geno wasn't included was because Nintendo and SE couldn't agree with financial terms, so they scrapped the idea and put in Game & Watch?

Boney said:
Mario & Luigi's credits specifically note that all the characters in M&L are owned by Nintendo except Geno, so I don't know what that is meant to prove.

Door2Dawn said:
Honestly I see no reason why SE wouldn't let Geno into SSB.
I see no reason why either Nintendo or SE would even bother using him. The only people at Nintendo that seem to give to shits about him are AlphaDream (which is made up of a lot of people who made SMRPG in the first place), and they only gave him a small cameo in a game that is approaching ten years old in a year or two. And SE hasn't included Geno in any of the Mario games they've made since their reconciliation with Nintendo.

Professor Beef said:
I thought the reason Geno wasn't included was because Nintendo and SE couldn't agree with financial terms, so they scrapped the idea and put in Game & Watch?
Sakurai has never said that Geno was ever intended to be in Smash at any point. The only characters that we know were intended to be in Smash but weren't are:

SSB64: Bowser, King Dedede, Mewtwo
Melee: Lucas (intended to replace Ness but didn't once EB64 was cancelled)
Brawl: Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Plusle & Minun (maybe)

--Sakurai also mentioned on the Ice Climbers page on the original Japanese Melee website that they didn't decide on Ice Climbers as the retro NES representative in Melee immediately. He listed a few characters (Bubbles, Balloon Fighter, ExciteBiker, Urban Champion) and the reasons why they didn't go with them, but it's not clear if he's being entirely serious for all of them nor does he state that any of them were ever intended to be in the game.

Any other bits that mention characters that were intended to be in a game but weren't (like the oft mentioned "Pit was intended to be in SSB64" and "Balloon Fighter was intended to be in Melee") are unsourced rumors with no backup.

And to get back on topic, anyone who thinks Geno has a legitimate chance of appearing in the next Smash is setting their self up for disappointment.

Yeah, I doubt Sakurai talked to Square-Enix. I remember hearing a story about how Capcom was interested in Mega Man being included, but they never got the call from Sakurai...

Green Mamba said:
I see no reason why either Nintendo or SE would even bother using him. The only people at Nintendo that seem to give to shits about him are AlphaDream (which is made up of a lot of people who made SMRPG in the first place), and they only gave him a small cameo in a game that is approaching ten years old in a year or two. And SE hasn't included Geno in any of the Mario games they've made since their reconciliation with Nintendo.
I'm not going to argue that Nintendo/SE/Sakurai give a shit. But I do think there was/is reasonable fan support for the character.

And to get back on topic, anyone who thinks Geno has a legitimate chance of appearing in the next Smash is setting their self up for disappointment.
To be clear, I don't think he's likely. (But then again, I didn't expect a character like Rocket Raccoon in UMvC3...)

I'm serious when I say I expect a couple of playable Uprising characters, including generic swordsman. Or, at least, that they have a good shot at getting in.

JazzmanZ

If there were 2 alt costumes for characters heres what I think they'd be.

1.Mario - Dr.Mario and Tanooki Suit
2.Luigi - Penguin suit Luigi and Whirl Luigi
3.Peach - Daisy and Sports wear
4.Bowser - Skeleton bowser and Dark bowser (M&LBIS)
5.Link - Zora suit (from TP) and the Armour suit (From TP again) unless Skyward sword adds different design stuff.
6.Zelda/Sheik - Puppet variation from TP and classic look (assuming its the Skyward sword model)
7.Ganondrof - Robed Ganon from WW and Maybe use the armour Pig ganon wore in LTTP?
8.Kirby - Beam kirby and another power kirby of course
9.Metaknight - Maskless and His eviler counterpart from KSSU
10.King dedede - Robo Dedede and Ice climbers parka Dedede
11.Pikachu - Pichu and Raichu
12.Jigglypuff - Igglybuff and Wigglytuff
13.Pokemon trainer - It will probably be the 5th gen male trainer this time around, so maybe the 1st gen and 5th gen female alts?
14.Donkey kong - Funky kong and Donkey kong jr.
15.Diddy kong - Dixie and Kiddy kong
16.Samus - Basic suit (not the varia one) and Dark samus
17.Fox - Assault and 64 look
18.Falco - see foxes
19.Captain falcon - idk maybe Black shadow and a more modified Blood falcon?
20.Yoshi - Boshi and Yoshi with baby mario on back
21.Ness - ??? Maybe Paula and Jeff?
22.Mr.Game & Watch - ??? Perhaps Octopus helmet character and the character from Fire?
23.Wario - Overalls Wario and D.I.Y Wario
24.Lucas - again ??? Claus would sound plausible if it wasn't just a basic recolor with hair on the other side
25.Pit - idk maybe one of those faux characters from the multiplayer segments in the 3DS game
26.Marth - Roy and someone else
27.Ike - idk I Haven't played FE much
28.Olimar - Louie and the president

I think thats it for me, I know I'm missing a bunch of other characters but we don't know if they'll return or not

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fucking Square, I hope they fall down a set of stairs so Nintendo can finally start on what would be a wildly successful Geno RPG franchise.

(I can dream)

My wish for SSB4?

Buttloads of alt-costumes. Don't bother trying to give characters even numbers of alt costumes too, that won't please anyone. Link needs pretty much all his tunics ever, we need 10 alts of the Pokemon Trainer- 2 each from FRLG, RSE, HGSS, DPP and BW- we need all of Samus's suits, Claus and Kumatora's alts for Lucas, Raichu alt for Pikachu, etc etc etc.

Jill will be an assist trophy and you'll like it

KingK

They should put this guy in the next one
WiBFw.png

They don't have any Fire Emblem villains, and he's pretty iconic/awesome. He would fit pretty well in Smash.

mugwhump

Dr.Hadji said:
Ok I'm going to come out and say it. Combos are over hyped. Give me some intra-character interplay any day of the week.
You're over hyped

Also what does intra-character interplay even mean

Codeblue

Boney said:
still this is the only one that matters

198254-drill_dozer_jill_01_large.jpg

Jill would be amazing.

I want an AW rep but I hate Andy. I'd love for Sami to be included but Will and Andy probably have a much higher shot.

Boney

Banned
at the end of the day I want all assist trophies to be playable except waluigi cause he sucks

even excitebikes

Amir0x

Banned
qq more said:
Geno is overrated. :)

*hides*

*high five* All of SMRPG is overrated.

I want Poo from Earthbound, Flint from Mother 3, Mike from Star Tropics (would be a modified version of Ness, with the yo-yo and all), Locke from FFVI, White Mage and Black Mage from FF series in general.

Really, though, my main goal is as much new Mother-related stuff as possible. They're the sole reasons I buy the Smash Bros. games at all, so the more Mother stuff there is, the better value I find in this series. I don't come for the fighting that's for sure :p

fisheyes

Green Scar said:
My wish for SSB4?

Buttloads of alt-costumes. Don't bother trying to give characters even numbers of alt costumes too, that won't please anyone. Link needs pretty much all his tunics ever, we need 10 alts of the Pokemon Trainer- 2 each from FRLG, RSE, HGSS, DPP and BW- we need all of Samus's suits, Claus and Kumatora's alts for Lucas, Raichu alt for Pikachu, etc etc etc

I agree. Boxing in a character like Mario, who has so many potential costumes (I want Hawaiian shirt Mario from Sunshine) so that you can have an equal number of costumes with characters like the Ice Climbers, is stupid.

That being said, Ice Climbers alt = Hammer Bros. Swap the stream of Ice with a stream of fire, and that move where they hit the Ice with the throwing of a boomerang or something (or even just knocking a Mr Freezie, if you're lazy). Its genius. And a hell of a lot more exciting than "80's Artwork colours" or having Nana in the lead instead or whatever.

Dr.Hadji

mugwhump said:
You're over hyped

Also what does intra-character interplay even mean

Haha, I threw in intra-character to make it sound hip and meaty. Should have just stuck with interplay. You know, checks and counters and heck why not some pins, forks and skewers as well. The play you get from mutually assured destruction (everyone having a lengthy potentially 0 to death combos) is usually pretty interesting but once those combos start it really slows the dynamism game down and has the recipient of the combo with dramatically less to do.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
PounchEnvy said:
Ridley's too big!

That's what she said.

I think you could take Ridley down to Bowser size. Bowser is absolutely gigantic in many Mario titles, but reasonably sized in Brawl. Ridley could be even a bit larger and not be 'too big'.

Super Metroid Ridley was much smaller than Ridley appears in Brawl with that absurd wing span.

Proles, everybody knows that SSB4 is going to give every main character an assist partner. Mario gonna get Yoshi, Peach gets Toadsworth, Fox gets Krystal, Sonic gets Tails, etc.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Proles, everybody knows that SSB4 is going to give every main character an assist partner. Mario gonna get Yoshi, Peach gets Toadsworth, Fox gets Krystal, Sonic gets Tails, etc.

Yoshi not being playable? Nonsense! I can't enjoy myself if I'm not smashing everything with my face.

To the people going with the "Ridley is too big" argument, I'd like to remind them that Pikachu is also completely disproportioned in relation to the cast, as is Olimar.

Honestly, if you don't like Ridley, then just say so. I don't like him, but I'd never use size as some sort of iron-clad weapon against his inclusion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The solution is obvious:

We need 1/1 scale Olimar, he gets a permanent magnifying glass so players can see where he is.

WillyFive

I think Nintendo shouldn't spoil the entire game before it comes out like they did with Brawl.

Imagine how mindblowing Brawl would have been when it came out if there never was a Dojo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Willy105 said:
I think Nintendo shouldn't spoil the entire game before it comes out like they did with Brawl.

Imagine how mindblowing Brawl would have been when it came out if there never was a Dojo.

I disagree. The build up was even better than the game (and I like Brawl a lot!). It's not like a game where I'm spoiling the story. Let's have a two years build up this time!

qq more

EvilMario said:
I disagree. The build up was even better than the game (and I like Brawl a lot!). It's not like a game where I'm spoiling the story. Let's have a two years build up this time!
2 years sounds too much. While the Dojo has been awesome, it struggled to have meaningful updates for a few months during its one year build up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
qq more said:
2 years sounds too much. While the Dojo has been awesome, it struggled to have meaningful updates for a few months during its one year build up.

But with their 168 character roster, they'll have to do at least a couple of years. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Professor Beef said:
I, for one, am not looking forward to staying up just for another BANANA PEEL update.

I'll take 100 BANANA PEEL updates for Tetris-Block and MegaMan character announcements.

Acerac

Banned
Halycon said:
The solution is obvious:

We need 1/1 scale Olimar, he gets a permanent magnifying glass so players can see where he is.
Kirby isn't that tall himself. What is he, 8 inches high?

Bonsley was the best Dojo update. The metdowns in the thread were amazing.

Shanadeus

Banned
Re-post from the other thread:

Smash Bros Wii U:

So how do you think the Wii U controller will be used?

When it comes to online multiplayer I could see "customized" character (imported from the 3DS version or made from scratch) that use the touch screen for special moves and further customization.

Local multiplayer ideas:

Players 2-4 play control their characters using a Wiimote/Wiimote+nunchuck/Classic controlelr while player 1 uses the uMote in certain special modes.

For an example, he could take control of a boss (that's not normally playable and really shouldn't be due to balancing issues) and utilize the touch screen&uMote buttons/sticks to pull off special attacks that wouldn't be possible on a normal controller such as independently controlling two master hands and much more.

Another possible use for the uMode that would be a lot more causal friendly would be to allow the 1st player to control stage hazards kinda, item drops and more. Granny can now join in on the fun as she uses the simple stylus touchscreen to set off traps, shoot at players and drop items for her granddaughter.

Team versus Team in a huuuge map!
Each team has a uMote+1-4 WiiMote players and they have to settle the score big time!

The uMote player basically plays a strategy game and uses his screen (where he can scroll and see the entire map) to command the WiiMote players around, drop items and use special powers (think smashpower kinda) by using energy spheres his team members pick up.

There could be a number of game modes taking advantage of this 10-player mode such as CTF, hold the zone or some regular smash mayhem with x lives.​

There are plenty of ways to differentiate between the 3DS and Wii U smash.
Making Single-player the focus of the 3DS game while multi-player is the focus of the Wii U game is probably the best way to go about it.

3DS version
  • Extensive Single-player campaign that take the best known maps and levels from a multitude of nintendo (and 3rd party, if they have a character included) games, that better highlights and shows off the long and rich history of Nintendo games.
  • Customization to an almost extreme degree: Each character can alter their moves and abilities as they progress through the campaign, incorporating old trademark abilities (such as the mario fludd, the mario cape, the mario spin) and new ones created just for the campaign.
  • High-re-playability on the single-player modes, with each character experiencing the single-player campaign in a different way (enemies react differently, abilities allow you to take alternative passages, unique levels for all characters.) All the collected moves and abilities can be used to create a completely unique character, whether it's through a Mii or a character creator, for a re-run of the campaign.
  • 1-3 additional friends can jump into your campaign at any time to help you out, whether they're in the same room or connected to you through the Nintendo online service.
  • Gather trophies, stickers, songs and even some exclusive maps that can be transferred to the Wii U version to be shown off.

Wii U verson

• While the rooster between the two versions are the same, the Wii U version has a superior number of items, stages, alternative costumes and assist trophies.
  • Online and challenge modes that aren't restricted to pure fighting games. Jump into a level of Super mario bros and race to the flag, enter a top-down Zelda dungeon and solve the puzzle and much more.
  • Take advantage of the Upad controller in a number of exclusive game modes that are not possible on any other system such as Boss-mode (WITH RIDLEY), where a player uses the Upad controller with it's touchscreen to control a boss that cannot be controlled through standard controllers, and Crazy Stage-mode, where a player uses the Upad controller to literally control the stage 1-4 other players are playing on.
  • Great emphasis on multiplayer both locally and online, with ladders for a number of modes.
  • Import your customized character from the 3DS version and face off against your friends or against strangers online in a special mode and ladder.
  • Show off and play other imported 3DS material.

General Wii U stuff:

While you and 3 others are playing with the Wiimotes/CC, the Upad is in its dock on the table and displaying various of game-dependant information.

Perhaps a scoreboard, with K/D-ratios and session achievements.
Perhaps a tournament view, which non-playing contestants can study and perhaps change their character's costume while the current match progresses.
Perhaps a videocall, so that you and your team can directly face off online with another team.

emb

Professor Beef said:
I, for one, am not looking forward to staying up just for another BANANA PEEL update.

How to play: You must recover!

or,

*stays up until 3*
*f5s, sees picture of Samurai Goroh / Lyn / Little Mac*
*assist trophy* D: (especially for the first assist trophy...)

But all of it was worth it for the Pokemon Trainers and the Olimars of the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom