• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impas have been in the Zelda series for a long time (although yeah, most of them are kind of unimportant). If they really want to make the Zelda characters look like their SS incarnations, then turning Sheik into Impa would actually be pretty elegant.

Personally I'd rather just see them keep Sheik, but I can see how Impa might get in. I don't think there's any way Impa would actually be her own character, though.

I was specifically talking about Impa the character and not the handmaiden role, but yeah I agree.

The role of a nanny , aside from SS. She might as well be a one off. She's a secondary character at best. Bottom line. Sheik works because she's Zelda. Sheik also has two Smash appearances. Impa doesn't even have a trophy.

As for Demise, you can't say "one off" for Sheik and then argue for a "one off" to replace a staple.
I said that she's a staple in the series as she clearly plays the role of guardian, care taker and protector to Zelda as well as a guild to Link in many of the LoZ games and in SS we learn more about why she is in this cycle of characters being reborn over and over in the series and that's why I think she should be in smash ... not sure what your point is. I would take her over another Link Clone/ Zelda Clone that looks toony, that's for sure.

And plus, though she doesn't have a massive amount of important roles what she DOES have are some stand out roles in the series that push along the plot in these games.

As for Demise I see no problem with putting what would be "Ganon's origin" in the place of what will forever be a CF clone at this point.

No, I'm quite comfortable with saying replacing Ganondorf with Demise is a bad idea. Part of your logic requires the assumption that all of the Zelda villains were incarnations of Demise's hatred, not just Ganondorf, which is a tenuous link at best. Consider that Vaati and Ganon were alive at the same time, Malladus is an ancient demon that predates Ganondorf's death, etc.--if Demise's hatred (not Demise himself, remember!) really did reincarnate as every villain you'd have to say that it can reincarnate several times at once, which there is no evidence for. All we know, going by what Aunoma said and the ending's implications, is that Demise was the origin of Ganondorf. The rest is weak extrapolation at best.

And arguing against Sheik's inclusion because she's a one off character and then supporting Demise to replace Ganondorf (the next most recurring character after Link and Zelda)? Jesus, man, step back and reassess your arguments.

EDIT: Sorry for coming across as so inflammatory, I haven't really had the best day.
I think this can be cleared up very easily ... ya see, I never said Demise was reborn into ever LoZ villain. And at the very least Demise IS Ganon ... like the Goddess IS Zelda.

As for "bad ideas" I have always thought it a bad idea for Ganon to be a CF clone and it truthfully annoys me that he's a copy/ shell of another character instead of being his own character. It seems like in his case he might as well not be in smash seeing as it's just "Ganon" in appearances only. But hell, if we can't have a true Ganon character then why not have the bad guy that he comes from in? The one who cursed the Goddess and Link to be apart of this cycle as to carry on the fight in many different times and bodies? That's my logic ... but w/e, you can hold onto your CF clone and I'll just not care cause even if I WANT this to happen I know Sakurai's just gonna bring CF#2 into SSB4 while I wish we had an actual Ganon in there.

As for Sheik ... she has never been a staple or ego carried on from game to game. She's not reincarnated or anything, she's just a one off alter ego from one Zelda that got in because of melee's timing. Sheik would have as much reason to be in as Tetra or the suit of armor if Zelda was a new comer to SSb4 and you looked at it logically. She's not a "Character" ... just something 1 Zelda dressed up as. Replacing that alter-ego with an actual LoZ character that protects Zelda doesn't seem like some strange idea to me. it's true to the games, it makes sense seeing as that's the role of said character and it could give a new, fresh spin on Sheik's play-style.

Impas have been in the Zelda series for a long time (although yeah, most of them are kind of unimportant). If they really want to make the Zelda characters look like their SS incarnations, then turning Sheik into Impa would actually be pretty elegant.

I agree.

But hey, it depends on if they were telling the true about TP Zelda being planned to moon-light as Sheik in TP. If so then I could see them just going the Impa route, if it's some BS and Sakurai just wanted to keep Sheik then it could go either way.

Why not just give Young Link/Toon Link the rest of the items and weapons from the Zelda series adult Link hasn't incorporated into his moveset? You could have pegasus boots as a dash like move, a deku leaf that's both a fan like weapon and a way to slow down your descent for your neutral B, that cane weapon from LTTP, either the regular mallet or Skull Hammer, Bombchus and dual-wielding fire and ice rods as a final smash.

spanks

Not if it's a clone of a character who's already in the game, and can just reuse most animations.

Yeah, but if we have to have clones, wouldn't you prefer to have new clones? I'd rather have Sami (Snake clone) and Dillon (Sonic clone) than Pichu and Roy again, if they take the same effort to create.

I think ultimately I'm okay with clones because they give us characters we otherwise wouldn't get. It's not like they're taking a real character's spot, they're just adding to the roster. Although I'd trade in 2 clones for a non-clone any day.

The graphics engine would need to change heavily at least for the Wii U version, of course, but the gameplay wouldn't need to be done from scratch, unless they want to turn it into a 3d fighter or something.

I meant a gameplay change similar to the difference between Melee and Brawl; namely physics and speed. If they want to do something like add customizable stats/moves, though, that might change things up considerably.

I said that she's a staple in the series as she clearly plays the role of guardian, care taker and protector to Zelda as well as a guild to Link in many of the LoZ games and in SS we learn more about why she is in this cycle of characters being reborn over and over in the series and that's why I think she should be in smash ... not sure what your point is. I would take her over another Link Clone/ Zelda Clone that looks toony, that's for sure.

And plus, though she doesn't have a massive amount of important roles what she DOES have are some stand out roles in the series that push along the plot in these games.

As for Demise I see no problem with putting what would be "Ganon's origin" in the place of what will forever be a CF clone at this point.

Exactly. It's the first Zelda game. It makes sense to see her actually do something, but we won't see that again. So "one-off" pretty much. She is different in every game, where as Link,Zelda, and Ganondorf are always very similar in appearance. Tingle and Ghirahim wouldn't be Link/Zelda clones.

Big whoop. Ganondorf is important to Zelda/Smash. He's not going anywhere. By your logic Demise has the chance of being a Falcon clone too..

KevinCow

Banned

As for "bad ideas" I have always thought it a bad idea for Ganon to be a CF clone and it truthfully annoys me that he's a copy/ shell of another character instead of being his own character. It seems like in his case he might as well not be in smash seeing as it's just "Ganon" in appearances only. But hell, if we can't have a true Ganon character then why not have the bad guy that he comes from in? The one who cursed the Goddess and Link to be apart of this cycle as to carry on the fight in many different times and bodies? That's my logic ... but w/e, you can hold onto your CF clone and I'll just not care cause even if I WANT this to happen I know Sakurai's just gonna bring CF#2 into SSB4 while I wish we had an actual Ganon in there.

Why do you assume that Demise wouldn't still be a Captain Falcon clone?

If they decide that the Zelda villain shouldn't be a Captain Falcon clone, they'll give Ganondorf a new move set.

Snakey

I never understood the hate of clones. I mean sure I can understand ones that are almost the same as their character of origin (Dr. Mario) or characters that really should be unique (Ganondorf), but for most other clones I don't really understand why people hate them. I have been reading a lot of Japanese Smash fan opinions, and they don't seem to mind clones at all. For some reason, Westerners seem to think that clones somehow took the spot of a more worthy character, when that is not the case at all. Its really pathetic.

I'd rather have Sami (Snake clone) and Dillon (Sonic clone) than Pichu and Roy again,

Most people would rather see Roy back than Sami and Dillon. Also, if we were to ever have a Snake clone, it should be Pico of F-Zero. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU83Ta1-g7U

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just keep Ganondorf and Shiek, but since it's likely Link and Zelda will have their SS designs (unless we see another console release before Smash 4 is out), give Ganondorf and Shiek new designs inspired by Demise and Impa respectively, so like Shiek would have a black outfit on like Impa.

There. You keep the original Smashers, but pay tribute to the new Zelda characters all at once. Everyone's happy.

GamerSoul

Just keep Ganondorf and Shiek, but since it's likely Link and Zelda will have their SS designs (unless we see another console release before Smash 4 is out), give Ganondorf and Shiek new designs inspired by Demise and Impa respectively, so like Shiek would have a black outfit on like Impa.

There. You keep the original Smashers, but pay tribute to the new Zelda characters all at once. Everyone's happy.

That could actually work for for Ganondorf and Zelda IF Impa isn't included in Zelda's case. I love the idea of having redesigns but for the most part the series being included don't really have newer games featuring the characters on the roster.

Watch Da Birdie

Also, on the topic of Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone...at this point in the game, I've kind of just accepted it. It's kind of endearing how the King of Evil has the Cap's moveset. Maybe buff him up a bit, make his moves a little more different from Falcon's, and I'd be good. His lack of a sword never really bothered me, since we have plenty of sword wielders.

The idea someone posted a few pages back with Ganondorf having a new moveset that allowed him to switch between his sword and fists, however, is what I had in mind for Takamaru, since in Nazo no Murasame Jou he switched between using his katakana and shurikens depending on how close he was to the enemy. So, like, Down-B could sheath/pull out his sword. With his sword out, he'd be a bit slower, but his sword would have knock out power, while with his sword sheathed he'd be faster and able to rack up damage, but not a lot of knock out power. So you'd weaken your opponent out, draw your sword, and then finish them off.

And even though it'd mean we'd have two samurai, I also want Goroh to get in, but not as a Takamaru clone. Rather, I think he'd be neat as a heavy swordsman (his weight coming from his body as opposed to his sword like Ike), who would be a bit unorthodox compared to other swordsmen as he would have a lot of physical, wrestling-style moves like backflips and body slams, since he's a pretty big looking guy.

Finally, I'd like to note that I definitely think Square Enix has a possibility of having a 3rd party rep, what with Mario Sports Mix, 3-on-3 Hoops, and Fortune Streets international debut all serving as recent crossovers between the two companies. Originally I thought Slime would make a good candidate, since no other Square Enix character is really a "franchise", so to speak, since Final Fantasy and DQ have new leads each game. However, with Neku revealed to be in KH3Ds, and the possibility of a TWEWY sequel, I now hope Neku Sakuraba from the World Ends With You gets in as a 3rd party rep, simply because his debut game was awesome and some of his game's music being included in Smash would rock.

Revven

I never understood the hate of clones. I mean sure I can understand ones that are almost the same as their character of origin (Dr. Mario) or characters that really should be unique (Ganondorf), but for most other clones I don't really understand why people hate them. I have been reading a lot of Japanese Smash fan opinions, and they don't seem to mind clones at all. For some reason, Westerners seem to think that clones somehow took the spot of a more worthy character, when that is not the case at all. Its really pathetic.

And, generally speaking, all the clones play entirely different from the character they are a clone of. Falco plays radically different from Fox, Ganondorf plays way differently than Falcon, and let's not forget Roy who had the unfortunate bad end of the stick where the strongest part of his sword forces him to be close to his opponent rather than ... spacing the attack for a strong tip hit, again making him play differently than Marth does.

So the whole notion "clones are bad!" is really, really silly and I understand why people might dislike them but they have a place in the roster as even with their similar moves, because they act differently stat-wise makes a huge difference in how the character plays versus the original moveset the clone "took".

Snakey

One thing is I noticed reading Japanese Smash fan opinions is that they genuinely seem to like Black Shadow. Its probably due to the F-Zero anime and the fact that Norio Wakamoto voices him in it.

Roy and Mewtwo get a ton of requests usually to come back. It seems a lot of Roy fans in Japan say Roy brought them to the Fire Emblem series in general.

I just remembered something of GRAVE importance, the next game needs to give me back the ability to do the suicidal german suplex as Kirby (as in the back throw), it's removal in brawl was criminal and my use of Kirby drastically went down, it was such a wonderful trump card.
Yeah he still has other sacrificial techniques that work in brawl but the suplex was by far the best.

fisheyes

And, generally speaking, all the clones play entirely different from the character they are a clone of. Falco plays radically different from Fox, Ganondorf plays way differently than Falcon, and let's not forget Roy who had the unfortunate bad end of the stick where the strongest part of his sword forces him to be close to his opponent rather than ... spacing the attack for a strong tip hit, again making him play differently than Marth does.

So the whole notion "clones are bad!" is really, really silly and I understand why people might dislike them but they have a place in the roster as even with their similar moves, because they act differently stat-wise makes a huge difference in how the character plays versus the original moveset the clone "took".

I'll admit my opinion on clones has pretty much shifted fairly recently. Someone else in this thread said recently that they'd rather have 1 unique character than 2 clones, and yes, I still pretty much agree with that, but I used to be in favour even more of original characters (I would've said I'd take 1 original over 3, 4, maybe even 5 clones) than I am now - I reckon I would take 3 clones in the roster over just one new guy any day now. And I'd definitely take any more than that over just 1 original character.

I'm not saying I want the Roster to be Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Tanooki Mario, Hawaiian Shirt Mario, 8 Bit Mario and Super Mario Bros.: The Movie Mario, but if you gave me a choice between having, I don't know, 40 characters, all of which were completely original, or 50 characters which play different from each other (as all clones do) even if only 35 or so were 'original', I reckon I'd have to go the latter. Particularly if the clones add a greater variety to the roster - so, for example, if Sonic's clone was in fact Dillon, rather than being Metal Sonic or something - then I think using clones to bulk up the roster, even if it has a small effect on the amount of original characters, is a winner.

I just remembered something of GRAVE importance, the next game needs to give me back the ability to do the suicidal german suplex as Kirby (as in the back throw), it's removal in brawl was criminal and my use of Kirby drastically went down, it was such a wonderful trump card.
Yeah he still has other sacrificial techniques that work in brawl but the suplex was by far the best.

I prefer his powerbomb over his suplex, personally.

I prefer his powerbomb over his suplex, personally.

I always found with the powerbomb that it was too easy for people to wiggle out from, and it lacks the OUT OF NOWHERE finish that the suplex had that caused many opponents of mine to gripe and whine about me being cheap.
Though on its own merits the powerbomb is awesome for simply being a powerbomb, though it's one upped by your good friend R.O.B and his jet fuelled tombstone piledriver.

I always thought Ganondorf should have been a clone of Samus, not Falcon. His OoT projectiles could be clones of Samus's B and >B very easily.

Though Impa becoming Sheik's replacement would be cool, it would make Zelda no fun to play as. We would need her B moves revamped to make her a worthwhile character.

Anth0ny

Kirby would let go while doing that throw in Melee, sometimes.

But he would continue the animation and kill himself, opponent still standing on the stage.

Pichu>Melee Kirby

I always found with the powerbomb that it was too easy for people to wiggle out from, and it lacks the OUT OF NOWHERE finish that the suplex had that caused many opponents of mine to gripe and whine about me being cheap.
Though on its own merits the powerbomb is awesome for simply being a powerbomb, though it's one upped by your good friend R.O.B and his jet fuelled tombstone piledriver.

Ugh, ROB has been gone nearly 20 years and he STILL has to try and tombstone people. At least Kirby's up throw has that beat.

I always thought Ganondorf should have been a clone of Samus, not Falcon. His OoT projectiles could be clones of Samus's B and >B very easily.

Though Impa becoming Sheik's replacement would be cool, it would make Zelda no fun to play as. We would need her B moves revamped to make her a worthwhile character.
Morphball bomb jumping Ganondorf would be a fun sight

Kirby would let go while doing that throw in Melee, sometimes.

But he would continue the animation and kill himself, opponent still standing on the stage.

Pichu>Melee Kirby
Seemed to happen if the opponent had less than around 40-50%, so with that in mind I didn't lob Kirby off the edge by himself very often, Brawl just seemed to prevent the ability to sail gloriously off the stage with it which is saddening.

Ugh, ROB has been gone nearly 20 years and he STILL has to try and tombstone people. At least Kirby's up throw has that beat.
Seems to me like you want to go one on one match with the Robotic Operating Buddy playa

Exactly. It's the first Zelda game. It makes sense to see her actually do something, but we won't see that again. So "one-off" pretty much.
Who are you talking about?
If it's Impa then ... you haven't been paying attention to the series. And on top of that I don't see how we can infer or predict her role in any future LoZ game at this point.

She is different in every game, where as Link,Zelda, and Ganondorf are always very similar in appearance. Tingle and Ghirahim wouldn't be Link/Zelda clones.
What? Impa is reincarnated just like the others ... and all of their appearances differ pretty widely from game to game. Not sure how that matters.

Also not sure what Tingle and Ghirahim have to do with anything we're talking about but ehh ...

Big whoop. Ganondorf is important to Zelda/Smash. He's not going anywhere. By your logic Demise has the chance of being a Falcon clone too..
Let me put this clearly ...

DO I THINK THIS WILL HAPPEN? No, that Sakurai guy is gonna force Ganon to be CF2 again IMO and you will all go "Maaan, why can't he completely change Ganon for smash yet?".

WOULD I LIKE IT TO HAPPEN? Yup...

And no, the "Sakurai logic" behind making Ganon a CF clone was because they shared a similar basic body structure and he wanted to artificially beef up the roster in Melee. Demise is a giant mass of beef and I don't think Sakurai would go through the trouble of making the exact same mistake a 2nd time on a character that doesn't even have the same build as CF.

If they decide that the Zelda villain shouldn't be a Captain Falcon clone, they'll give Ganondorf a new move set.
I see it like FE ... making a new rep for the later FE games with a new move-set was more important than just de-cloning Roy and calling it a day. "But Ganon is blah blah!" w/e, that just my PoV on this.

I have nothing against clones when they make sense. Ganon is the only one I just can't accept.

But Smash fans don't like clones because these are existing characters with back-stories and sources to draw from ... or at least that's what I have seen. Logically if you're making a ground-up fighting game it's not out of the question that 2 characters may have similar fighting styles seeing as they were all made just for this game. In Smash ... it kinda sucks to have the character you liked from w/e game just appear as an alternative to another character's play-style.

Snakey

I think most people are overlooking two facts:
1. Skyward Sword bombed hard in Japan.
2. That Aonuma said he wants to get the next console Zelda out by 2014.

By the time Smash 4 is released, Zelda Wii U will either be close to release or be released the following year. There is a good chance that Zelda Wii U designs will be used for the Zelda cast, making the points about Skyward Sword characters negligible.

I think most people are overlooking two facts:
1. Skyward Sword bombed hard in Japan.
2. That Aonuma said he wants to get the next console Zelda out by 2014.

By the time Smash 4 is released, Zelda Wii U will either be close to release or be released the following year. There is a good chance that Zelda Wii U designs will be used for the Zelda cast, making the points about Skyward Sword characters negligible.

1. Who cares? It's been VERY clear to Nintendo that Console LoZ is now a "Western series".

2. If you actually think they can crank out another LoZ before Sakurai can finish a Smash game then I just have no words ... even funnier when you realize that HEY, SSB4 is likely gonna have a trailer and media released WAAAAY before the next LoZ. Brawl's trailer came out pretty fast actually. Sooo what? Are they just gonna avoid showing off Link until LoZ WU has it's first trailer?

This is a great argument for why 5th gen pokes wont be in but LoZ? Nope.

spanks

You know, if they do have clones again, it might be cool to mix up moves from different characters. Like with Ganondorf, he could keep his Falcon moveset, but add Samus' projectile. Combining moves would make it more interesting by having the advantages/disadvantages of two (or more) characters, and help make clones more different in general. I guess they never tried it because of the extra time it would take to balance, but that might not be a problem now.

Most people would rather see Roy back than Sami and Dillon. Also, if we were to ever have a Snake clone, it should be Pico of F-Zero. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU83Ta1-g7U

Most people on message boards that spend their free time talking about games years before they even exist, that is. A pretty small minority in the scale of things. Anyway, I don't care what's more 'popular', just what's more fun.

Here's another example: Would you prefer to have your Pico (Snake clone) and Takamaru (Samurai Goroh clone), or Dr Mario and Young Link?

I don't understand people who would say no to that. If you just want Sakurai to make Melee again, why don't you just play Melee?

Exactly. Plus, they can share assets to help with development costs/time, which is going to be a big issue as Nintendo transitions to HD development.

Snakey

You know, if they do have clones again, it might be cool to mix up moves from different characters. Like with Ganondorf, he could keep his Falcon moveset, but add Samus' projectile. Combining moves would make it more interesting by having the advantages/disadvantages of two (or more) characters, and help make clones more different in general. I guess they never tried it because of the extra time it would take to balance, but that might not be a problem now.

Most people on message boards that spend their free time talking about games years before they even exist, that is. A pretty small minority in the scale of things. Anyway, I don't care what's more 'popular', just what's more fun.

Here's another example: Would you prefer to have your Pico (Snake clone) and Takamaru (Samurai Goroh clone), or Dr Mario and Young Link?

I don't understand people who would say no to that. If you just want Sakurai to make Melee again, why don't you just play Melee?

I think you are misunderstanding me. First off, Roy by himself is a highly requested character, whereas Dr. Mario and Young Link are not. Secondly, I already brought up the topic about the decisions made about clones that affect how they are received. I used the examples of Dr. Mario (being deemed too similar to Mario by casual fans) and Ganondorf (an incredibly important Nintendo character being a clone of a less notable one) as examples of which when clone selection is poor. Clones such as Luigi, Falco, Roy (needs to come back balanced better though), Lucas, Wolf, and Toon Link were mostly received well. Heck, Lucas, Luigi, and Wolf are practically unique characters with the exceptions of their specials.

On the topic of clones have the moves of other characters, I know that the idea of having Roy being a mix of Marth and Ike has come up a lot.

Tyeforce

Regarding the design of Zelda characters in the next Smash Bros., I think that they'll be based off of the Wii U Zelda tech demo, which is basically just a higher detail version of the Twilight Princess design. I say this because the Link and Ganondorf from Melee took their designs from the GameCube Zelda tech demo (which was pretty much their Ocarina of Time designs but in higher detail, with a few tweaks and additions like Ganondorf's sword). I believe keeping the higher detailed Twilight Princess design would be more fitting for the non-toon Zelda characters in Smash Bros. than going with a Skyward Sword design, because it shows more contrast between them and Toon Link, and the Twilight Princess design just fits the Smash Bros. universe better. Besides, they're going to run into trouble with Sheik and Ganondorf if they use the Skyward Sword design.

They could easily get away with representing all of the big console Zelda games by having the Zelda roster look like this:

Link — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents all Links
Zelda — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents all Zeldas
Sheik — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents Ocarina of Time
Ganondorf — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design
Toon Link — Cel-shaded design, represents all the Toon Link games
Ghirahim — Skyward Sword design, represents Skyward Sword

With that, you get good overall representation of all the main console Zelda games—Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker (plus every other toon game), Twilight Princess (plus a little bit of what could be Zelda on Wii U), and Skyward Sword.

Who are you talking about?
If it's Impa then ... you haven't been paying attention to the series. And on top of that I don't see how we can infer or predict her role in any future LoZ game at this point.

What? Impa is reincarnated just like the others ... and all of their appearances differ pretty widely from game to game. Not sure how that matters.

Also not sure what Tingle and Ghirahim have to do with anything we're talking about but ehh ...

Let me put this clearly ...

DO I THINK THIS WILL HAPPEN? No, that Sakurai guy is gonna force Ganon to be CF2 again IMO and you will all go "Maaan, why can't he completely change Ganon for smash yet?".

WOULD I LIKE IT TO HAPPEN? Yup...

And no, the "Sakurai logic" behind making Ganon a CF clone was because they shared a similar basic body structure and he wanted to artificially beef up the roster in Melee. Demise is a giant mass of beef and I don't think Sakurai would go through the trouble of making the exact same mistake a 2nd time on a character that doesn't even have the same build as CF.

Don't feel like multi-quoting so bare with me here, sorry

Yes I meant Impa. She's mostly an old lady/nanny that isn't important to Zelda. Sakurai hasn't acknowledge her importance in Smash. I mentioned Tingle and Ghirahim because they're better picks that Impa. (Not to replace Sheik mind you, just in general out of the three)

I'm aware of the whole body type thing. Sakurai didn't change Ganondorf in Brawl too much to cater to the people who are used to his Melee playstyle. If you're suggesting Demise to replace Ganondorf, he'd have to play very similar, hence the possibility of being a Falcon clone.

They could easily get away with representing all of the big console Zelda games by having the Zelda roster look like this:

Link — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents all Links
Zelda — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents all Zeldas
Sheik — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design, represents Ocarina of Time
Ganondorf — Twilight Princess/Wii U demo design
Toon Link — Cel-shaded design, represents all the Toon Link games
Ghirahim — Skyward Sword design, represents Skyward Sword

With that, you get good overall representation of all the main console Zelda games—Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker (plus every other toon game), Twilight Princess (plus a little bit of what could be Zelda on Wii U), and Skyward Sword.

Yes! My thoughts exactly. I'd also like Tingle under his own series.

PokéKong

Does that make handheld Zelda "Japan Zelda"?

Butbut... wasn't toon Zelda more popular here than it was there?

And they say toon is better suited for the handheld series...

Aahhh.....AAAAAAHHH!! My brain, ittt huurtssss OOOHH ITHUURTSSS......

Don't feel like multi-quoting so bare with me here, sorry

Yes I meant Impa. She's mostly an old lady/nanny that isn't important to Zelda. Sakurai hasn't acknowledge her importance in Smash. I mentioned Tingle and Ghirahim because they're better picks that Impa. (Not to replace Sheik mind you, just in general out of the three)
So a one-off "Pre-big-boss" villain with seemingly zero connection to anything in the later games of the series (like Zant? Yup ... like Zant) and a character that's been used as a Smash joke (but is apparently no longer relevant to the LoZ series) are both better than a staple character with an on-going role that has been important and pushed the plot in the series at different points in time while having a recent stand out role and could logically play the role Sheik is currently playing in Smash?

Diddy Kong, I disagree.

I'm aware of the whole body type thing. Sakurai didn't change Ganondorf in Brawl too much to cater to the people who are used to his Melee playstyle. If you're suggesting Demise to replace Ganondorf, he'd have to play very similar, hence the possibility of being a Falcon clone.
Ike replaced Roy as the "recent FE rep" ... they don't play alike and Sakurai saw no need to make him a clone. He was willing to let go of an "alter play style" in favor of doing an unique one for what would be it's replacement.

It is? Can I get a source on that?
Just look at the sells and history of the series.
Hell, just look at TP's dev process. It was originally WW2 until Aonuma noticed how badly WW was doing in both the US and JPN. He heard from NoA that a lot of fans didn't like the Celda style and 2 months before TP's E3 reveal trailer he decided to make it realistic looking and give the West the LoZ it wanted.

PokéKong;35765836 said:
Does that make handheld Zelda "Japan Zelda"?

Butbut... wasn't toon Zelda more popular here than it was there?

And they say toon is better suited for the handheld series...

Aahhh.....AAAAAAHHH!! My brain, ittt huurtssss OOOHH ITHUURTSSS......

Aonuma is in love with that style and wants to cram it into w/e he can ... and that's why we have the DS Zeldas looking that way. But that wont fly on the console Zeldas because that's mainly for the West and they don't want to pull WW numbers on a console LoZ again it seems.
Regarding the design of Zelda characters in the next Smash Bros., I think that they'll be based off of the Wii U Zelda tech demo, which is basically just a higher detail version of the Twilight Princess design. I say this because the Link and Ganondorf from Melee took their designs from the GameCube Zelda tech demo (which was pretty much their Ocarina of Time designs but in higher detail, with a few tweaks and additions like Ganondorf's sword)

Not even halfway sure as to how you came to the resolve that Melee LoZ characters are based on the tech demo. The Tech Demo was just an example of how OoT could look on the GC ... why would Melee LoZ characters be based on that instead of OoT designs taken into a new GC game? How is it supposed to look? like a crappy N64 game character? Even SC Link looks like that ... they're all taking the latest in the series as a means to design the same character on GC tech. logically they would look alike.

Not sure what Toony Zelda style has to do with anything either. We had Y Link in Melee and for all we know the 3DS LoZ will bring about a new art style.

I don't think Melee Link is based on the GCN tech demo, but Ganondorf absolutely is.

Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time has two renditions, one for each time period. In the child time period, he has short hair and a very short beige cape. In the adult era, he has long hair and a long red cape. Melee Ganondorf is very similar to these, but not identical.

Ganondorf_SSBM.jpg

Melee Ganondorf has short hair like child era OOT Ganondorf, as well as a long cape like adult era Ganondorf, albeit it is beige like child era Ganondorf. This is identical to the GCN tech demo Ganondorf, and it is an exact look that is used nowhere else:
zdemo24_640w.jpg

The sword from his victory pose is also from the tech demo and nothing else.

Link though I think is just taken from Ocarina of Time--the Link in the tech demo had the Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask instead of the Hylian Shield, which is what he has in Melee. I seem to remember reading that Sakurai said on the official Melee website that he was originally going to base Link off of the tech demo but decided against it, but don't quote me on that.

cednym

Banned
Ike replaced Roy as the "recent FE rep" ... they don't play alike and Sakurai saw no need to make him a clone. He was willing to let go of an "alter play style" in favor of doing an unique one for what would be it's replacement.

Ike isn't a Roy replacement. Roy was planned, but he didn't make the final cut due to time constraints. There was a point where they both coexisted in the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Erm, Roy is definitely a Melee Marth clone. Ike is not a replacement, much like Lucario isn't a Mewtwo replacement...

HOLY SHIT I KNEW WE ALREADY HAD THIS TALK BEFORE

So a one-off "Pre-big-boss" villain with seemingly zero connection to anything in the later games of the series (like Zant? Yup ... like Zant) and a character that's been used as a Smash joke (but is apparently no longer relevant to the LoZ series) are both better than a staple character with an on-going role that has been important and pushed the plot in the series at different points in time while having a recent stand out role and could logically play the role Sheik is currently playing in Smash?

Diddy Kong, I disagree.

Yes, Ghirahim is the main villain of the first Zelda game in the timeline, with a moveset practically drawn out already. Tingle has his own series. Relevance isn't an issue. She couldn't logically replace Sheik because Impa isn't Zelda.

Just to combat the silly arguments made:

"They could separate the slots" - would have happened in Brawl. Not going to happen now. Sheik even has her own half on the character screen.

"They could fight alongside each other like the IC's!" - We already have a duo, and that would be broken / pointless.

"They could switch out like a tag team" - They won't give a veteran a tag team function. Leave that for a newcomer.

Watch Da Birdie

If Lucario is out, I'd kind of like to see Ghirahim adopt his mechanic of getting stronger the more damage he takes, with his body getting darker
eventually turning into his final mode at around 200%
increasing his speed and power.

Oh, and the tongue wag as a taunt is a must.

Thores

"They could switch out like a tag team" - They won't give a veteran a tag team function. Leave that for a newcomer.

This argument in particular is pretty arbitrary. Why not? Because you think they won't? Veterans have gotten moveset/mechanics changes before. I'm not saying it'll definitely happen in Zelda's case since it'd be a pretty big change, but ruling it out "just because" weakens the rest of your argument.

Also, using Impa's "one-off" status against her (which is already an exaggeration) while supporting both Ghirahim as a new addition and Shiek staying as a character, when they're both explicitly one-offs as opposed to Impa's recurring role (fluctuating importance or not) makes your stance hard to take seriously. Well okay, a lot of your comments do that. Some of your justifications are fair enough, the rest are either grasping at straws or hypocritical considering your other roster choices. It feels like really all you need to say is "I don't want Impa in because I don't like her." Then this conversation could have ended a page ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom