• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 11 |OT| - The Quarterback Duel of the Decade Out of the Shadows

bionic77

Either way we all win
No one wins when the Pats win.

I personally will buy 10 Suh jerseys and a fathead if he stomps on Brady.

The refs certainly let the Pats secondary play last night. They should be fair and let the Lions D body slam and choke Brady a bit too otherwise we can all see a clear NFL bias. It is just a 15 yard penalty so it shouldn't impact who wins or loses. And it is not like he can stomp on any male genitalia. If we need a reason well he can untie his shoe laces and blame the Pats for that.

Do it Suh! Do it for America!

Godslay

Banned
Godslay, we will do our part and take care of the Patriots this weekend.

Restore the Roar 2014.

YYvSIuQ.gif

Ugh I hate this, dude had Brandon Weeden throwing to him. Fucking skins robbed us out of a legit game. I would of loved to see Dez and Peterson matchup with Romo back there.
I understand how you feel and it's equally annoying to me that people act like we'd have lost if Romo played instead. No doubt it's a really different ball game but the reasons we matched up with you extremely well on paper has nothing to do with which QB you start. Your success this season has come via the run, not Romo and we don't allow running. Romo crumbled like cheap tissue against blitzing by the Skins and we blitz more often and more disguised and effectively than they do. Especially after the hits he took against the Skins, he'd have panicked and thrown Ints, I'm extremely confident of this. I have absolutely no doubts we'd have won against Romo, I thought he's who we'd play when I said we would def win that game, Weeden decision surprised me. Make the playoffs and we just may get to have that match up.
It was a good game, you guys have a solid team and at the end of the day, refs aside, you guys won and that's all that matters.

Our offensive play calling and execution was horrible. I just checked on it right now but Time of Possesion was just about even at 30 minutes apiece but you guys had a much better 3rd down conversion rate. Like I said though, good game and you guys are 1st in the NFC at 9-1, but we're still second place.

PrideofDetroit.com basically echoes my opinion on the game with 3 points:

1.) The play-calling and execution on offense simply aren't good enough

2.) Lions fans: The sky isn't falling

3.) NFL officiating needs a complete overhaul

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/11/17/7190311/lions-cardinals-2014-takeaways

PoD is usually fair and spot on with there analysis. A good article on the game.
Yeah Palmer is the best third down QB in the league this year (or rather, was) and I was glad to see Stanton execute when we really needed it there, most especially that final rifle to Fitz in clutch time. Speaking of, I saw your comment when someone quoted you, that was definitely extremely close to the line, within a step, easily. My opinion is that it wasn't a first down most likely, but 4th and inches. I have no doubt we'd have gotten those inches going for it. Your D held us to the fewest points of anyone we played this season and had two critical Ints that could really have changed the outcome of the game if our D wasn't so stifling. You certainly have a D to be proud of although I can tease you with a Suh who? with the zero sacks ;P As I said prior, I only see you losing to NE and GB for the remainder of the season which has you making the playoffs. From there, you can pretend nothing else happened and it's just win or die. That bye sure would be nice though and I'm hoping we get one. Number 1 seed would be amazing, home field ALL THE WAY (assuming we make it that far, of course). I know most feel Stanton can't get us there but having home field all through the playoffs exponentially increases our chances as we are very tough to beat here.

jbug617

Banned
No one wins when the Pats win.

I personally will buy 10 Suh jerseys and a fathead if he stomps on Brady.

The refs certainly let the Pats secondary play last night. They should be fair and let the Lions D body slam and choke Brady a bit too otherwise we can all see a clear NFL bias. It is just a 15 yard penalty so it shouldn't impact who wins or loses. And it is not like he can stomp on any male genitalia. If we need a reason well he can untie his shoe laces and blame the Pats for that.

Do it Suh! Do it for America!

03-30-06_brady-and-big-ben_original.jpg

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
49er thoughts:

Be happy Smith is back, take the win on the east coast and move on.

But also realize that it is just another in the long line of data points that Roman and their offensive system needs to go. If Harbaugh is married to him/it then he needs to go as well. Has Roman ever proved to be an NFL level quality OC? With any team? Even at Stanford his offense didn't put up big numbers with Luck and a dominating running game and if there was ever any combination that should put up big numbers that would be it.

Total broken record here but the problem is the offensive has no creativity, poor situational play-calling, is incredibly predictable and lacks any sort of tempo. Good offenses have a good tempo which don't let defenses recover and doesn't let everyone know when the ball will be snapped. Every second half this year has just been AWFUL - they can't run or pass.

People saying the 49ers ran well this weekend need to wake up. Compare how the 49ers ran to how a good running team ran on the Giants the week before. No comparison.

Fire. Roman.

JABEE

....what? They're definitely better in pass protection than run blocking, but almost any team that gives an honest effort is getting pressure on Rodgers this year. The Eagles just came out flat

That guy from the Saints/Bengals game - No remorse

http://now.nfl.com/play/9fb278fe-d3c6-4221-a9c8-5952d1f1bd70?id=9fb278fe-d3c6-4221-a9c8-5952d1f1bd70

Yep. I'm not ready to write off the Eagles. Every team has a game where they come out flat. They came out flat against the Packers and had a flawed game plan in terms of their coverage options.

The Eagles were coming off of short rest and were on the road in Lambeau against a scorching hot Green Bay team. There were plays to be made on the field. Chip's offense wasn't the reason for their failure. Execution, slips, and dropped passes is what left the Eagles with "6 points."

The Eagles have been every game that Chip has been the coach of this team except for Green Bay and Denver.

You're not going to face Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers every week. All this doom and gloom is ridiculous. We're facing the Titans on Sunday with the chance to be 8-3 going into Thanksgiving against the Cowboys. The sky isn't falling. Green Bay played a great game and executed.

Draxal

Walton is the only WTF signing of the bunch. At the time they were of the thinking that Snee would be able to make a play at RG. It just didn't happen. Brown/Jerry were there as purely depth and I would imagine the hope was that neither would ever see the field ouside of spot duty at best.

Snee retires, Geoff Schartz gone due to injury for the first 9 games of the season....yeah.

Certainly poor planning but both had starting experience and he hope would be that its better depth than Brewer/Mosely.

The reality is that the front office is still trying to patchwork together a serviceable offensive line in the midst of rebuilding it. I do think folks need to take a deep breath in so far as feeling as though Reese is blatantly ignoring the line. We have evidence to the contrary. The left tackle is a second round pick and is signed long term - oh and he's having a very good year after a disastrous 2013 campaign. The right tackle is a first round pick. The current LG is a second round pick paying out of position due to necessity right now.

That's three high picks on the offensive line in the last few years. Free agency? One of the first targets that fans wanted was Geoff Schwartz. We got him. He's injured.

Reese is guilty of riding those veterans for too long but Rome wasn't built in a day. We get a nasty Chris Snee type of guard in this next draft and I think we have a pretty damn decent line to work with and build depth on.

He blatantly gnored the line in 2010-12 drafts and was hoping that he can ride Diehl and Snee forever. What makes me completely salty is that the JERRY that we make fun of in Dallas, did it the right way and our Jerry fubared it.

Snee was walking wounded for the last three years, and Diehl was wounded even for more. I'm actually confused on how I think about Diehl now, he sucked for such a good majority of the time, but it was obvious that he was playing hurt as well.

I mean all our mock drafts in the 2010-12 had Giant Gaffers screaming for offensive lineman in the 1-3. I remember screaming for Cordy Glenn and Kevin Zeitler and I wasn't the only one.

49er thoughts:

But also realize that it is just another in the long line of data points that Roman and their offensive system needs to go. If Harbaugh is married to him/it then he needs to go as well. Has Roman ever proved to be an NFL level quality OC? With any team? Even at Stanford his offense didn't put up big numbers with Luck and a dominating running game and if there was ever any combination that should put up big numbers that would be it.

Total broken record here but the problem is the offensive has no creativity, poor situational play-calling, is incredibly predictable and lacks any sort of tempo. Good offenses have a good tempo which don't let defenses recover and doesn't let everyone know when the ball will be snapped. Every second half this year has just been AWFUL - they can't run or pass.

People saying the 49ers ran well this weekend need to wake up. Compare how the 49ers ran to how a good running team ran on the Giants the week before. No comparison.

Fire. Roman.

Roman does have some creative run designs but he just calls a bad game 90% of the time. As for the Giants run D the previous week I mean they back side contained against the niners and didn't against the seachickens. That's all there is to it. Time and time again wussle was given free yards. I knew the Giants wouldn't have that same issue. I was happy with our run game yesterday for the most part

Zeke

Deal. RG3 to the Cowboys would be an amazing watch.
I wouldn't trust Jerry. I know he would ask/tell Garrett to throw some wild cat or pistol in the play book. I can't tell if you're being a dick or not but I'll play along. It wouldn't be the worst idea ever. Bring him in now let him sit while Tony does his thing and let him tutor RGIII. Give the coaches some real time to work with him and there isn't any real rush for him to be on the field. A home coming to Texas might do him some good. Behind a line like this he doesn't need to run around and take hits. He does need work tho I think being a back up for a bit would do him some good. Guy needs a coach that actually cares about him and can build his confidence again. Besides what does Dallas have to lose Weeden and Dustin Vaughan?

j-wood

I think tonight is either going to be a blowout, or things start to click for Mettenberger and we play decent. Still don't think we win unless the steelers just don't show up.

I am pretty excited for Mett though. Like what I've seen so far. But maybe it's just me being excited that we FINALLY don't have a fucking "running QB"

I don't think the sky is falling but the Lions will be a 7-4 football team this time next Monday.

The offense is a disaster. The o-line is weak but Stafford isn't making plays even when he has time. He has been neutered by Lombardi, and apparently Caldwell too - who would rather play not to lose than play to win.

Let Stafford be Stafford and hope the defense can bail us out from bad situations. He will never be Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, etc. But I'd take 300 yard 3 TD 2 INT Stafford over this poor game manager shit.

bionic77

I think tonight is either going to be a blowout, or things start to click for Mettenberger and we play decent. Still don't think we win unless the steelers just don't show up.

I am pretty excited for Mett though. Like what I've seen so far. But maybe it's just me being excited that we FINALLY don't have a fucking "running QB"
The Steelers have something insane like a 2-10 record over the past few years under Tomlin against the bottom dregs of the league.

You have to like that stat and those odds as a Titans fan!

j-wood

The Steelers have something insane like a 2-10 record over the past few years under Tomlin against the bottom dregs of the league.

You have to like that stat and those odds as a Titans fan!

Fingers crossed! Even if they don't show up I'm not sure I like my chances. We are talking about the Titans that blew a 29 point lead against the Browns here.

He blatantly gnored the line in 2010-12 drafts and was hoping that he can ride Diehl and Snee forever. What makes me completely salty is that the JERRY that we make fun of in Dallas, did it the right way and our Jerry fubared it.

Snee was walking wounded for the last three years, and Diehl was wounded even for more. I'm actually confused on how I think about Diehl now, he sucked for such a good majority of the time, but it was obviously that he was playing hurt as well.

I mean all our mock drafts in the 2010-12 had Giant Gaffers screaming for offensive lineman in the 1-3. I remember screaming for Cordy Glenn and Kevin Zeitler and I wasn't the only one.
Sure. I don't disagree that the picks made didn't pan out. Hindsight is 20/20 on that front and its obvious the view was to try and find some late round road graders to come in and develop. You said Reese rode veterans for far too long? Agreed. I said the same. Blatantly ignored though? From 2009-2012:

Will Beatty - 2nd Round (starter)
Mitch Petrus - 5th Round
James Brewer - 4th Round
Brandon Mosely - 4th Round
Matt McCants - 6th Round

5 picks on offensive lineman. Add in Justin Pugh (1st rounder) and Weston Richburg (2nd Rounder) the past two drafts and that's 7 picks. The picks didn't pan out and he should absolutely be taken to task for that (along with the coaching staff for an inability to develop that talent) but I'll have to disagree with the view that the line was "blatantly" ignored.

Our Jerry kept the defensive line stocked and put the offensive weapons on the table (Nicks, Cruz, Manningham) that allowed us to win a Super Bowl in 2011. It's real easy to act like the grass is greener on the other side while forgetting the fact that a few years ago he was lauded as one of the best GM's in the league.

Important parts of the roster got old. It happens. We need to rebuild it. That doesn't happen in a season.

Hey at least I'm onboard with the fire Fewell campaign. We can at least agree on that.;)

Godslay

Banned
Odds increasing that Incognito becomes a Bronco. Probably won't happen until after Miami, but it would not surprise me at this point.

Line would become:
Clady-Incognito-Montgumery-Vasquez-Franklin

That's an improvement in my eyes.

Now if we can just get Ray Lewis to come out of retirement and give us a Superbowl run like Shannon Sharpe did for the Ravens I think we can turn this around.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Roman does have some creative run designs but he just calls a bad game 90% of the time. As for the Giants run D the previous week I mean they back side contained against the niners and didn't against the seachickens. That's all there is to it. Time and time again wussle was given free yards. I knew the Giants wouldn't have that same issue. I was happy with our run game yesterday for the most part

Yeah the run game was OK for me but wasn't good. And that is against a team that couldn't defend it last week even outside of giving up the Wussle runs. We can't move chains when it matters with the running game and then the play-calling gets predictable. How many times this year in the second half have we seen Gore run for like negative 1 to 1 yard on first down in the second half? Then run the next play for 2 yards leaving like 3rd and eight? That script defines most of our games.

Again, has Roman been shown to be a good OC at any level? The more I think about how little production he got from Luck and a running game that just physically demolished defenses at the college level the funnier I find it. If his offense wasn't good then what the hell is he doing at the NFL level?

I think the 'hawks and '9ers are struggling for similar reasons - they are trying to be old fashioned running teams in an era of passing and up-tempo rushing attacks. It sort of worked for a while since their defenses were incredible but it is all catching up with them now. You can't be an old-fashioned running team and hope for good offensive production - the best you can hope for is great defense and the turnovers going in your favor.

Colasante

Odds increasing that Incognito becomes a Bronco. Probably won't happen until after Miami, but it would not surprise me at this point.

Line would become:
Clady-Incognito-Montgumery-Vasquez-Franklin

That's an improvement in my eyes.

Now if we can just get Ray Lewis to come out of retirement and give us a Superbowl run like Shannon Sharpe did for the Ravens I think we can turn this around.

What happened to Chris Clark? He seemed quite solid from what I saw last season.

49er thoughts:

Fire. Roman.

Fuck Roman. I didn't think it was in me to hate a OC like I hate him.

Sanjuro

I wouldn't trust Jerry. I know he would ask/tell Garrett to throw some wild cat or pistol in the play book. I can't tell if you're being a dick or not but I'll play along. It wouldn't be the worst idea ever. Bring him in now let him sit while Tony does his thing and let him tutor RGIII. Give the coaches some real time to work with him and there isn't any real rush for him to be on the field. A home coming to Texas might do him some good. Behind a line like this he doesn't need to run around and take hits. He does need work tho I think being a back up for a bit would do him some good. Guy needs a coach that actually cares about him and can build his confidence again. Besides what does Dallas have to lose Weeden and Dustin Vaughan?

I'm also curious how long Garrett's leash is at this point.

Scott Petrak ct ‏@ScottPetrak 26m 26 minutes ago
#Browns Pettine: LB Karlos Dansby (knee) could miss upward of a month. Said OLB Jabaal Sheard (foot) could be done for year. Not definite.
0 replies4 retweets0 favorites
Knew getting back Gordon would cost the cleve! Plus Cameron still in concussion protocol. lol the run is gonna gash us even more now.

Draxal

Sure. I don't disagree that the picks made didn't pan out. Hindsight is 20/20 on that front and its obvious the view was to try and find some late round road graders to come in and develop. You said Reese rode veterans for far too long? Agreed. I said the same. Blatantly ignored though? From 2009-2012:

Will Beatty - 2nd Round (starter)
Mitch Petrus - 5th Round
James Brewer - 4th Round
Brandon Mosely - 4th Round
Matt McCants - 6th Round

5 picks on offensive lineman. Add in Justin Pugh (1st rounder) and Weston Richburg (2nd Rounder) the past two drafts and that's 7 picks. The picks didn't pan out and he should absolutely be taken to task for that (along with the coaching staff for an inability to develop that talent) but I'll have to disagree with the view that the line was ignored.

Our Jerry kept the defensive line stocked and put the offensive weapons on the table (Nicks, Cruz, Manningham) that allowed us to win a Super Bowl in 2011. It's real easy to act like the grass is greener on the other side while forgetting the fact that a few years ago he was lauded as one of the best GM's in the league.

Important parts of the roster got old. It happens. We need to rebuild it. That doesn't happen in a season.

I should have specified 1-3 in those years, getting really good lineman like a Diehl out of 4-7 is actually relativelyy rare, and I don't blame him for missing on those guys. This isn't the Steelers getting really unlucky when their high drafted lineman get hurt, he thought he could repeat the success of Seubert/Diehl being steals and that hasn't happened.

Draxal

From BBI:

Joe Staley, the 49ers’ fine left tackle, said he knew the Giants would be “all geeked up to stop the run’’ after last week’s debacle in Seattle, because “their manhood was challenged.’’ And so, the Niners knew what to do.

“It was a game plan,’’ Staley said. “Jason Pierre-Paul is a really good run stopper, so we felt really good about the matchup of [right tackle] Anthony [Davis] vs. Mathias [Kiwanuka] and Robert Ayers and he did a great job over there.”

I checked that claim: 13 of Gore's 19 rushes were to the right for 85 yards or a 6.5 avg per carry. The other 6 carries to the left with mostly Hankins and JPP went for 10 yards or a 1.6 ypc.

It's real bothersome that other teams know how easy it is to gameplan against us and we continue to do the same thing. I'm going to check how similar other games were.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=505435

With all our premium picks on the defensive line, and we're still trotting out Kiwi at that left DE.

Top Bottom