• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Hannah Storm finally shamed the disgusting Panthers organization into action. Fucking shameful.

the whole org has adopted the Just Losez mentality.

So it looks like we're not going to get the Jordan Cameron vs Cameron Jordan matchup that would have opened up the space time continuum
Still holding out hope he plays 😳
cameronLeague_576_090114.jpg

MechDX

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora · 53s
Greg Hardy is inactive. The Panthers had said all week he would play. They finally follow a lead set by the Vikings

Wonder what the Niners will do now.

Talon

Let it not be forgotten that Goodell, Richardson, Gettleman, and Rivera let him play in Week 1.

Per Deitsch: Zero applause for the Panthers. They ceded to press/public pressure. It was disgrace it took this long with Greg Hardy.

Fox318

Let it not be forgotten that Goodell, Richardson, Gettleman, and Rivera let him play in Week 1.

Bingo.

They probably saw the Hannah Storm video and it started to scare them.

Honestly it I don't feel comfortable watching football this week.

It feels like everyone is trying to just get to the games.

Only reason NFL Network is covering it is because of betting implications.

Talon

Haha, it took until Key to call out the Panthers for being reactive than being proactive.

Carter and Ditka praising them for being swift.

Panthers fans are not happy with the decision to sit Greg Hardy:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/104544-hardy-inactive/

It was the right decision. Should have been made in July. The way they spouted all of that tone-deaf nonsense about process and the fact that they needed the pressure of the entire media to get them to make a move is disgusting.

Football-wise, I won't lie. Greg Hardy is a good player. Our defense is worse without him. But we have guys who are ready to step up and make an impact behind him. We missed Charles Johnson for a game and a half last year and the back-ups came in and did their thing. I expect the same now. Gettleman now looks like a genius for that Ealy pick.

We're still beating the fucking Lions. Don't kid yourself.

eznark

Banned
Oh good, Bob will get on his midget soapbox tonight. If he weren't such a self important douchebag he'd let someone like Hannah Storm have that time.

Talon

Werder said that Rivera "was adamant that Hardy would be playing on Sunday."

Jerry's mind:

"Man, I sure would love Cam Newton, Demarco Murray and Dez Bryant as the new 'triplets.'

I also like dem stripper titties."

Bowser

All week long, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said he expected defensive end Greg Hardy to play.

But from the moment Monday morning when video emerged of Ray Rice punching his wife in the face, the decision stopped being a football decision.

The Panthers had to swallow hard and make the inevitable choice to deactivate Hardy today, which seems like an easy call — except for the fact they let him play last week.

They were committed to due process until the public outcry became too much to bear.

But it’s also important to consider what might have happened, if owner Jerry Richardson’s loyalty to the league wasn’t so strong.

It’s easy to mock the 78-year-old Richardson for his tears Wednesday night. It would also be wrong. Richardson’s feelings about violence toward women are not an affectation, or something he found Monday morning.

Multiple sources within the organization have told PFT that the team’s preference would have been to punish Hardy in some way in May, when he was arrested. A four-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team was well within their rights, though it might have been fought by the NFLPA (at least until Monday). However, the league has always preferred strong centralized control of personal conduct matters. So Richardson stepped back, meaning that being a good solider for the league cost him plenty of political capital this week.

The Panthers’ playing Hardy wasn’t a reflection of tacit support. It was a reflection of the awkward two-step process for conviction in North Carolina that has left them with no real way to do the right thing by public perception or the football team.

The question now becomes whether they’ll continue to deactivate him until his court date in November, one that is crippling from a football and financial stance.

Per PFT.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hardy not playing?

Hope rising.

Werder said that Rivera "was adamant that Hardy would be playing on Sunday."

Jerry's mind:

"Man, I sure would love Cam Newton, Demarco Murray and Dez Bryant as the new 'triplets.'

I also like dem stripper titties."

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
The decision to deactivate #Panthers DE Greg Hardy was an organization decision. I’m told owner Jerry Richardson was heavily involved.

My guess: Goodell leaned on his BFF Richardson a bit to try and take the steam out of this story as quickly as possible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What the heck happened to Berman's eyes? He has solid diagonal lines under each one. He looks like a mannequin.

What the heck happened to Berman's eyes? He has solid diagonal lines under each one. He looks like a mannequin.

I can't blame anybody on ESPN, especially in their NFL coverage teams, for looking like they haven't gotten much sleep this week.

Only other significant thing is how disgusted Schefter appears.

MechDX

Around The NFL ‏@AroundTheNFL · 13m
Per @RapSheet on GameDay Morning: 49ers not hiding behind due process w/ Ray McDonald. They believe his version. Will cut him if he's lying.

This could really backfire. Why risk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom