• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
pondermullet.0.gif

How does Christian allow this to happen. Hide yo wife!

Bread

Banned
I'm so disappointed that I wasn't able to watch my Swans this morning, it's obvious they needed my help and I let them down. I take the blame for this loss.

Vyroxis

Banned
In order of their current standings....

Minnesota Vikings (1-0)

Last week, Minnesota came into the season with high hopes under new head coach Mike Zimmer with a revamped, more aggressive defense, and offensive coordinator Norv Turner promising a different look to the offense that last year was the only bright spot on an otherwise dismal season that saw the Vikings go 5-10-1, a QB circus that had everyone laughing, and a last place finish in the division. In their first outing of this season, fans got to see a completely different Vikings team take on the St. Louis Rams, winning 34-6 while showcasing a defense that was aggressive and fluid, and an offense that, unlike last season, was confident on the field with veteran Matt Cassel leading the charge under center. While there wasn't much of an air attack to be seen, the Vikings were more than content to pound the game out on the ground on their way to victory.

This week, Minnesota gets their home opener while hosting the 0-1 New England Patriots, a team that last week faced off against their division rivals that Miami Dolphins and suffered an almost one sided defeat at 33-20. Unlike the Rams however, who started the game with their second string QB Shaun Hill, and wound up playing 3rd stringer Austin Davis after the half, the Patriots will be bringing in Tom Brady, a starting caliber QB well on his way to the Hall of Fame with an offense that will be tougher for the hungry Vikings defense to push around. However, after last weeks game many have questioned the Patriots defense which seemed helpless against the Dolphins rushing game, allowing 191 yards on the ground, something Minnesota is sure to try and take advantage of even without star Adrian
child beater
Peterson, who is currently in a jail cell.

Result: The Vikings offense sticks to the ground and pounds out the yards with backup Asiata and Cordelle Patterson taking advantage of a weak rushing defense, while Tom Brady goes to the air and lets fly to his receivers on short passes to grind down a still weak Minnesota pass defense. In the end, the Vikings fight hard but fail to give New England a rare 2 week losing streak, losing 27-24.

Detroit Lions (1-0)

Last year, the nation got to watch as the Detroit Lions dominated their division for the first time in years, and seemed well on their way to a solid playoff berth only to collapse after their bye week, losing 6 of their last 8 games. This year, under a new coaching staff headed up by head coach Jim Caldwell, the Lions hope to not repeat the heartbreak of last season and earn their first first playoff win since 1991. In their home opener, the Lions took on the almost comatose New York Giants, cruising to a 35-14 beatdown as QB Matt Stafford lit the air on fire to the tune of 416 yards over the heads of the helpless defenders, and the defense allowed the Giants under 200 yards total offense as Eli Manning failed to find any serious footing and fell apart completely.

This week, the Lions head down to Carolina to take on the Panthers, who are fresh off a victory against the divisional rival Buccaneers. Unlike the Giants, the Panthers offense clicked out of the gate and took to both the air and the ground in their victory under backup QB Derek Anderson. This week, starting QB Cam Newton is slated to return, giving the Panthers back their star QB, who is just as likely to run with the ball as he is to pass it. Also unlike the Giants, the Panthers defense showcased their ability to keep pressure on the QB while actually covering receivers at the same time.

Result: In a battle of hungry teams eager to prove themselves, the Lions and Panthers slug it out with Stafford again racking up yardage to his receivers and Cam Newton running as much as he throws. In the end, the Panthers defense locks down Stafford's favorite target Megatron, and grinds out a 24-17 win.

Green Bay Packers (0-1)

Last season, the Green Bay Packers suffered the loss of starting QB Aaron Rodgers, leading many to believe that their season was over. However, the collapse of the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears allowed the Packers to secure the NFC North with a 8-7-1 record, however their playoff hopes ended soon after in a loss to the San Fransisco 49ers in the wildcard round. This season, the Green Bay packers are considered by many to be Super Bowl favorites but started their season on a sour note losing to the Seattle Seahawks in a 36-16 rout, with both their defense and offense being completely overpowered by a Seattle team that was out to showcase why they are the defending champions.

This week, the Packers play at home against the New York Jets, a team that last week showcased a very unconvincing win against the Oakland Raiders. Almost a direct opposite to last weeks opponents, the Jets offense sputtered against the derelict Raiders defense while their defense allowed 14 points by the Raiders offense, both of which are widely considered to be the worst in the league.

Result: Aaron Rodgers will have a field day airing it out to his receivers, and the Green Bay defense will clobber the Jets offensive line in a physically dominant performance resulting in a solid Green Bay victory, 30-10.

Chicago Bears (0-1)

Last season, the Bears started strong at 3-0, but then stumbled the rest of the way through the season to end up 8-8 under new head coach Marc Trestman, and a host of new assistants and positional coaches. This season, the Bears came out hoping to improve on last seasons record, but started out on the wrong foot losing in their home opener to the Buffalo Bills in overtime, 23-20.

This week, the Bears travel to San Fransisco to face the powerhouse 49ers team. Unlike their previous opponents the Bills, the 49ers are Superbowl favorites with a strong offense under veteren QB Colin Kaepernick, and a rather ruthless defense that humiliated the Dallas Cowboys the previous week.

Result: There really isn't much else to say here. The Bears get whipped 37-6, being completely outclassed on all sides of the ball.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I just have this feeling the Niners will shit the bed.

Niners can't get enough of screwing over Green Bay every chance they can get!

Talon

A breakdown of the Falcons-Bengals matchup tomorrow. I missed last week because of a busy workweek, but I'll have a write-up ready before and after each game this season. Here's a few brief thoughts on the Saints-Falcons game.

The parallels between the Bengals and the Falcons run deep.

Both franchises’ histories are mired in mediocrity with a recent uptick in success, at least in the regular season. Both teams feature steady, long-term head coaches who could be confused for used cars salesmen who win consistently at home, as the Bengals went undefeated at home last season. Both teams feature QBs that have led high scoring offenses to regular season success with minor postseason success. More recently, each teams drafted a WR in the first six picks of the 2011 NFL draft - A.J. Green and Julio Jones respectively - who have taken the league by storm.

Let's look at the matchups.

Giovani Bernard vs. Falcons Run Defense

The Falcons invested most of their free agency funds into stopping the run with big DT Paul Soliai and five technique Tyson Jackson. The results were mixed against the Saints. The Saints didn’t run all over the Falcons, but they managed a respectable 139 yards on 28 carries. One reason to believe that the Falcons will have more success this week is that Andy Dalton isn’t quite Drew Brees.

The Bengals have one of the better run block lines in the league and one of the most exciting young running backs in the league with Giovani Bernard out of UNC. Soliai, Jackson, Babineaux, Peters and Hageman need to win the line of scrimmage and make the Bengals one dimensional.

And more...

Hey darkest here is that step by step guide for steak, let me know if you have any questions, I'm pretty sure I included everything.
Type of Steak in order of greatness – Ribeye, Strip, Tenderloin, T-Bone
Check for good marbling

US Grade – Prime, Choice, Select
Choice is fine but Prime is what you should look for

Thickness – At least inch and a half thick, will weigh about 12oz to a pound each.

Preparing the meat:

The meat doesn’t have to be at room temperature, that’s a bunch of bull and will take hours to do anyways. Using Kosher Salt sprinkle on the meat and spread evenly so you have a nice coat of salt over your steak (both sides). You can also add pepper at this stage or you can do it once you put it on the grill. You do have to salt it about 40 min before you start grilling though, you can salt them a few days in advanced if you’d like but at least 40 mins before grilling is a must.

Preparing the skillet
Using a cast iron skillet, use vegetable or canola oil, about ¼ of a cup on a 12’ skillet and heat the oil and the skillet on medium high heat.
Once the skillet and oil is really hot you can pat dry your steak and season with more salt and pepper if you’d like.
Lower the heat to medium

Place it on the skillet to start cooking
Now this part is really up to you: when cooking steaks most people say you should only have to flip once and when cooking a steak an inch and a half thick; it’s about 3 to 4 min on each side for medium rare, add a min to cook it to the next tier, best way to check though is using a thermometer.
Rare 120 – 125
Medium rare 130-135
Medium 140-145
Anything over this and try again

If you’d like you can just flip the steak once on each side or you can do it the other method and flip once every 15 seconds, but for this method you really need the thermometer.
The first few times if you aren’t sure you can use a fork and knife to check how rare the steak is, it’s not a big deal to cut into the steak you won’t end up with some dry piece of meat, that’s just a myth.

Regardless of which method you use to cook the steak, you should baste the steak, spread the hot oil (and if you’d like to add butter to the pan you can) over the steak as its cooking.

After you reach your temp, remove the steak from the pan and let it sit for about 5 min, one final tip though is to remove it from the pan about 5 degrees before you get to your desired temp, so if you want medium rare, remove it at 125 because the juices will still cook the meat slightly once it’s off the pan and sitting.

There are a ton of other methods and recipes you can use but this is the simplest and most basic way to cook a steak, if you decided to experiment later use this as a baseline and just add or adjust whatever it is you’re trying out.
AcjUBJh.jpg

This is Medium rare but my camera and the lighting made it too dark

Bread

Banned
You forgot the most important steps chris! Always push down on the steak with your spatula to make sure it absorbs all of the juices, meat is like sponge.

And also, apply A1 liberally to your mouth before cooking. Rub a bit on your upper lip to get your appetite going!

You forgot the most important steps chris! Always push down on the steak with your spatula to make sure it absorbs all of the juices, meat is like sponge.

And also, apply A1 liberally to your mouth before cooking. Rub a bit on your upper lip to get your appetite going!

Oh that's right! Can't believe I forgot that

Beautiful! Thank you, my friend. I'll try this soon and let you know how it goes.

Good luck! Took me about 6 steaks to figure out the basics from reading a ton of different recipes, but it's really easy once you get the timing down! And this works on gas/charcoal grills to you just have to adjust the times slightly

Good stuff, Chris!

Not even Spin can fuck this one up if he leaves the ketchup in the bottle.

:jnc

zychi

Banned
Lol at that "destiny hype do you trust the media now" thread.

Everyone knew what destiny was before release, we got to play the beta. The people hyping the game up are the same people who look for every little thing in an interview. "Omg he breathed four times that means its coming in April!"

I got what i expected, a medicore sp campaign, that is way more fun with friends. A game that will tide me over until halo remake cones out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom