• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

JABEE

That dude wasn't just cheering after a big 4th down stop. This is why Philadelphia has a shit reputation. Any other team or fans doing that wouldn't have it framed in any other way. Niners fans stab people after their games yet Philadelphia fans are thugs.

Philadelphia is the place the New York media goes to point at New York's out the flaws in their own fans. We're one in the same.

That dude wasn't just cheering after a big 4th down stop. .
It's a stupid headline but its the Daily News. Shouldn't expect anything less.

I thought Philly fans were fine after the injury. There was plenty of cheering when Cruz got up and the Eagles players showed respect. Very little to nothing to complain about in that regard.

That dude wasn't just cheering after a big 4th down stop. This is why Philadelphia has a shit reputation. Any other team or fans doing that wouldn't have it framed in any other way. Niners fans stab people after their games yet Philadelphia fans are thugs.

Philadelphia is the place the New York media goes to point at New York's out the flaws in their own fans. We're one in the same.
What about the person who stole the prosthetic leg

bionic77

It's almost amazing how terrible our team is, especially our defense. Receivers dropping balls would probably make a highlight reel for our defense's best moments.
I especially loved how horrible Wheaton was. He either dropped the ball or seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was great how we kept going to him despite having one of the best receivers in the game, who we somehow did not look his way more than 2x the first 3 quarters.

I also loved how the Browns showed out team the benefit of a strong play action play. Considering how well we were running the ball maybe we could have kept things closer if we had tried that a little more often!

Also :lol at our redzone offense. Total joke. What did we get like 10 points from 4 or 5 trips to the redone?

Fire Tomlin and start over.

I checked out of the game yesterday near the end of the third quarter. It wasn't our night and the Cruz injury just seemed to deflate an already beaten team that looked unprepared and surprised at getting punched in the mouth. The Cruz injury is significant. His loss along with Rashad Jennings being sidelined are injuries that will be very difficult to weather considering the lack of talent we have in other key areas of the offense.

Graziano had a good article this morning on the team that I thought hit the nail on the head.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/pos...ts-have-no-choice-but-to-learn-from-ugly-loss

JCizzle

Ahem that's actually during the game. dodgers fans are the ones to wait until after.

Panic button being vigorously hit in Atlanta.

Go to Baltimore next week, then "home" game in London
Falcons won't be back in the once sanctified confines of the Dome until almost Thanksgiving.

I especially loved how horrible Wheaton was. He either dropped the ball or seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was great how we kept going to him despite having one of the best receivers in the game, who we somehow did not look his way more than 2x the first 3 quarters.

I also loved how the Browns showed out team the benefit of a strong play action play. Considering how well we were running the ball maybe we could have kept things closer if we had tried that a little more often!

Also :lol at our redzone offense. Total joke. What did we get like 10 points from 4 or 5 trips to the redone?

Fire Tomlin and start over.

I've already seen a lot of Steeler fans post this, but I think Tomlin deserves one more year, assuming you guys finish .500 or below.

Fire Haley, get a new OC, and see if Tomlin can coax any improvement out of the team.

But then again, I'm a Browns fan, so by all means, fire him, blow up the franchise, and take our place as the laughingstock of the league.

Skele7on

Banned
It'll be very interesting to see how the Lions defense play against the Saints at home. The Saints struggle on the road but it'll be an inside game which might be easier for them. Our d-line is propping up the secondary but to be fair, Darius Slay is playing well at CB. We stopped Rodgers, I don't think stopping an already struggling Drew Brees will be harder but I'm still concerned.

I am deeply looking forward to the game next week, it'll be a really good test.

Hoping for some magic that then carries the team through to London.

What time does the game start for you guys anyway? It's a super early start here anyway like 1pm so must be what 9am? That's crazyyyy!

brentech

It'll be very interesting to see how the Lions defense play against the Saints at home. The Saints struggle on the road but it'll be an inside game which might be easier for them. Our d-line is propping up the secondary but to be fair, Darius Slay is playing well at CB. We stopped Rodgers, I don't think stopping an already struggling Drew Brees will be harder but I'm still concerned.

Pretty sure their line is as bad as ours. You guys usually play us really hard at Ford field, so maybe there is some drop off there in terms of the Lions hype for the game, but otherwise, I would expect you guys to be planting Brees early and often.

As I said a week or 2 before, NFC north has a pretty easy schedule, and even more so when you don't have to face other division winners. When it's only a 16 game schedule and you have a couple games that are easier (on paper), that really helps a ton. It's hard to look at the schedule and think the Lions are going to drop more than a few games.

Shit happens, and games will be usually be lost, but you know what I mean.

Mrbob

Are the saints a good test? They seem bad this year. Though they are the bad team with the biggest potential to turn it around.

Zeke

So this team reminds me of the cowboys teams of old. Jimmy should be happy watching this squad. Big nasty line and a back that is just eating up yardage. Back to their roots and it feels good. Also just saw 26 game winning drives since 06 by Romo most in the nfl that's impressive as hell.

dionysus

Yaldog
Are the saints a good test? They seem bad this year. Though they are the bad team with the biggest potential to turn it around.

The Saints defense is terrible and the offense is not as good as it was hoped. The saints aren't testing anyone right now.

eznark

Banned

I think the Saints will be a good test for the Lions moribund offense. That Saints defense is generationally awful. The Vikings defense was able to outplay the Lions offense for most of the game, but it's tough to overcome Bustwater and his turnovers for 60 minutes.

1/13 on third down? 155 net passing yards? 255 total yards? That's pathetic given the turnovers and how great the defense played.

I think the Saints will be a good test for the Lions moribund offense. That Saints defense is generationally awful. The Vikings defense was able to outplay the Lions offense for most of the game, but it's tough to overcome Bustwater and his turnovers for 60 minutes.

1/13 on third down? 155 net passing yards? 255 total yards? That's pathetic given the turnovers and how great the defense played.

Saints sacrificed their Defense to pay Jimmy Graham.

bionic77

I've already seen a lot of Steeler fans post this, but I think Tomlin deserves one more year, assuming you guys finish .500 or below.

Fire Haley, get a new OC, and see if Tomlin can coax any improvement out of the team.

But then again, I'm a Browns fan, so by all means, fire him, blow up the franchise, and take our place as the laughingstock of the league.
I am tired of Tomlin because we keeping making the same mistakes under his leadership.

Yes if we have one of the greatest defenses of all time then Tomlin can lead us to a Superbowl. That to me is not that impressive. What I want to see from him or any other coach is the ability to give us an advantage over other teams by exploiting other teams weaknesses and emphasizing our strengths and also getting the most from each of our players. I just don't see that from him and its not like this is his first year.

You can blame the OC and Haley does suck ass, but the HC has to own up to the numerous mistakes this team makes every single year.

Told ya Marvin Lewis is a better coach. He even got a tie this week.
Lewis can at least build a great team. After that he is kind of shit but at least they draft well and coach their players up.

Lions need to look at their kicking techniques.

No way that this is all on the kicker anymore.

Least he made one....

Deion said last that maybe you need to take a look at the holder. I never really liked having a punter as a holder. Maybe let Orlovsky or Moore be the holder so we at least have a better option for the fake.

Zeke

Wilson threw for 126 yards no touchdowns, lynch 10 carries for 61 yds no touchdowns, harvin no touchdowns, TOP 22:21, 38% 3rd down efficiency. Wilson had the sole offensive td

Romo threw for 250 2 touchdowns, Murray 115 and a touchdown, 58% on 3rd down, TOP 37:39

So good

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Bionic: I've always praised our defense and called our defensive line the best in the league numerous times. The coaching staff has done an amazing job especially with the blitzing but the tried and true formula of getting to the QB = turnovers is what I've always maintained.

Darius Slay has had a hell of a second season as well.

Our offense will be fine. Everyone said Stafford needed Megatron which is not true. Of course it'd be great to have Megatron but I've begin to accept the fact that we may not have him next year and I don't think he's worth $20 Million a year. Give that money to Suh instead.

eznark: Those third down stats are skewed. The reason we were so bad on 3rd down is because of Stafford getting sacked 100 times or holding penalties. Also there were numerous dropped passes that should've been caught.

As the season progresses the offense will get better. Also Stafford has not been turning the ball over another thing NFLGAF will not give him credit for.

Now that Minnesota is over we don't play another divisional game until Thanksgiving when at that point 4 of our final five games are divisional.

This Steelers team is frustrating to watch. Not because they lost, but because they're so inconsistent, especially on offense. Steelers should have been up at least 10-0 in the first.

The Steelers were running wild on the Browns in the first quarter, and had nothing but a field goal to show for it. In typical Steelers fashion, their drives stall in the redzone. Any reason why the call is simple off tackle runs? Any D in the league will be ready for that! Throw a bootleg in once in a while.

I don't buy this shrimpy receivers garbage - last year the Steelers tallest receiver was a 6 foot Jerricho Cotchery. un-creative play calling and poor execution. Markus Wheaton still doesn't have the playbook down. Justin Brown drops critical balls. Heath Miller is barely targeted, and can't get open like he used to. Haley needs to get creative to work these receivers free quickly - Ben scrambling around trying to find receivers does not work anymore.

I'm going to say this again - this defense is not good. That said, Cam Thomas is terrible. 2nd quarter on Browns ran right at him. Isaiah Crowell's first TD was due to Cam Thomas getting pushed right into the second level, disrupting the linebackers.

There's also something I don't understand. After the Browns torched the Steelers on opening day on the same play action bootleg throw repeatedly, why didn't Dad put a spy on him?

Ben...if harson is here, can he tell me who I should blame for Ben missing wide open throws all game?

The funny thing about the third down struggles was that Stafford kept ignoring his check downs, again. 3rd and 6? Throw a bomb to a well covered Ebron down field instead of hitting Bell, wide open in the middle of the field for 6 yards. He was very inaccurate and once again struggled under pressure. I will excuse some of it: once Riddick went down with a hamstring he lost his best backfield option. But for the life of me I don't understand how Eric Ebron can constantly be open yet not get thrown the fucking ball.

I really don't get it. Bridgewater got destroyed yesterday but he was hitting his safety valves when he had time to throw and no one else was open. That's simple, rhythm shit that most QBs take advantage of. Except Stafford apparently. Sigh.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was mostly too fixated on the Packer game to pay attention to the Steeler game. Judging by your posts, I guess this explains why there was this dude in a Kiesel jersey sitting at the bar with his back to the game pounding wings and beers like he was never getting them again.

eznark

Banned
eznark: Those third down stats are skewed. The reason we were so bad on 3rd down is because of Stafford getting sacked 100 times or holding penalties. Also there were numerous dropped passes that should've been caught.

So they were bad on third down because they were bad on third down and that somehow skews the stats.

OK!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I feel good.

Today is our Thanksgiving so I am relaxing a bit before I take in some of the blogs and reports on how we did.

brentech

As the season progresses the offense will get better. Also Stafford has not been turning the ball over another thing NFLGAF will not give him credit for.
The offense stops moving and the has less turnovers. Celebrate!

That's good and all, but it'd mean a lot more if he was keeping the offense going. From the parts of their games I have watched, I can't even put all the drops on the receivers. Sometimes he puts the ball right where it needs to be, and sometimes he throws it making an easy completion way harder than it should be.

Yea, it's nice to think if in reach or hits the hands they should catch it, but from what I've seen the last few game in particular, that's simply not the case.

Again, not saying it's so bad that they shouldn't be winning a strong majority of the rest of their schedule.

I couldn't tell you were frustrated Deacon

emot-colbert.gif

bionic77

This Steelers team is frustrating to watch. Not because they lost, but because they're so inconsistent, especially on offense. Steelers should have been up at least 10-0 in the first.

The Steelers were running wild on the Browns in the first quarter, and had nothing but a field goal to show for it. In typical Steelers fashion, their drives stall in the redzone. Any reason why the call is simple off tackle runs? Any D in the league will be ready for that! Throw a bootleg in once in a while.

I don't buy this shrimpy receivers garbage - last year the Steelers tallest receiver was a 6 foot Jerricho Cotchery. un-creative play calling and poor execution. Markus Wheaton still doesn't have the playbook down. Justin Brown drops critical balls. Heath Miller is barely targeted, and can't get open like he used to. Haley needs to get creative to work these receivers free quickly - Ben scrambling around trying to find receivers does not work anymore.

I'm going to say this again - this defense is not good. That said, Cam Thomas is terrible. 2nd quarter on Browns ran right at him. Isaiah Crowell's first TD was due to Cam Thomas getting pushed right into the second level, disrupting the linebackers.

There's also something I don't understand. After the Browns torched the Steelers on opening day on the same play action bootleg throw repeatedly, why didn't Dad put a spy on him?

Ben...if harson is here, can he tell me who I should blame for Ben missing wide open throws all game?
Almost all of Ben's misses came with Wheaton. It is hard to say whether that was Ben missing the throw of Wheaton being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am tempted to say it was Wheatons fault but the truth is that we don't know. He had a couple of great throws to the sideline where Bell and Brown (the shit one) could not get their feet down. Of course a smarter set of coaches would have ADAPTED and run some passes towards the other receivers that seem to know what they are doing. Like, I don't know, Antonio Brown?

The most glaring pass was the one to Wheaton and honestly I only saw it twice but the ball looked decent to me. He put air underneath and it seemed like it should have been an easy catch but Wheaton fucked it up. But that is speculation and hatred on my part.

You also nailed the problem in this game. We were within the 20 2 times and came away with 3 points.

That is a recipe for disaster against almost any team. You have to close the deal and you can't throw away points like it is taco bell value meal.

eznark

Banned
Correct me if I am wrong, but Matt Kalil was actually good at one point, right? He might be the worst linemen I've watched all year long, and I spent the afternoon watching Gabe Carimi.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 19m 19 minutes ago
Hadley Engelhard, agent for #Bills WR Mike Williams, has been given permission to gauge interest in a possible trade from Buffalo.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 59s 60 seconds ago
#Bills sat Mike Williams because they needed special teams help after DT Kyle Williams was surprisingly active. Bills still like his skill

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 28s 29 seconds ago
#Bills WR Mike Williams believes he’s a number 1. If a team offers that compensation, Bills are interested. If not, will be tough to move.

Mike Williams wants a trade out of Buffalo.

Almost all of Ben's misses came with Wheaton. It is hard to say whether that was Ben missing the throw of Wheaton being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am tempted to say it was Wheatons fault but the truth is that we don't know. He had a couple of great throws to the sideline where Bell and Brown (the shit one) could not get their feet down. Of course a smarter set of coaches would have ADAPTED and run some passes towards the other receivers that seem to know what they are doing. Like, I don't know, Antonio Brown?

The most glaring pass was the one to Wheaton and honestly I only saw it twice but the ball looked decent to me. He put air underneath and it seemed like it should have been an easy catch but Wheaton fucked it up. But that is speculation and hatred on my part.

You also nailed the problem in this game. We were within the 20 2 times and came away with 3 points.

That is a recipe for disaster against almost any team. You have to close the deal and you can't throw away points like it is taco bell value meal.

Wheaton did have a terrible game. As I said I don't think he knows the playbook all the way, or maybe his timing is just off.

That said, i'm sick and tired of excuses being made for Ben. When was the last time Ben took over a game? We've seen washed up Brady do it with JAGs at receiver. Hell, we've seen random QBs style all over the Steelers - just yesterday every duck Hoyer hoisted up was pulled down by a receiver. Is Ben Roethlisberger still a franchise QB? The Steelers are 11-11 in Roethlisberger's last 22 starts.

Top Bottom