• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Fantomex

I'm starting to work on the week 8 thread. You guys ain't ready.

tumblr_m18x8uopXo1r3efnio1_500.gif

Luck is not getting MVP, this season is the 2014 Phil Rivers award tour.

Would trade for him no question though. I still think he has a long way to go before he's in the best QB discussion.
Yeah, Luck still makes some poor decisions, but we've been spoiled here in Indy, having Peyton be at the top of his game for a decade. We forget that even when someone is really damn good, he's young and will make mistakes.

I think in two to three years, though, if they can keep his weapons around him and improve the O line, Luck is going to be out of this world.

Okay bros, real life advice time. I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra that I bought new. It's the Limited trim with black leather interior, moonroof, heated front and rear seats, etc. Right now it has about 60,000 miles on it and is worth around $12,000 in good condition.

So a month or so ago a big hail storm rolled in and beat the crap out of it. Some of the hail balls were about twice the size of a golf ball, by far the biggest hail I've ever seen personally. The damage is purely cosmetic but there are about 25 little dents on the car now. Anyway, the damage was bad enough that in order to be properly repaired (paintless dent removal won't cut it for some of these dents) the entire roof, hood, etc. would need to be replaced. Long story short we got $7,000 for repairs from insurance.

So, now for the question. Do I keep the money or get it fixed? I owe $5,000 on the car still so I could just pay it off which would be awesome, plus I have some credit card debt I want to get rid of ASAP. We are set on keeping the car so I'm not really worried about selling it or trading it in at any point. The car I drive to work has over 300,000 miles on it so this Elantra could be a nice replacement for me when that goes, and then we could buy something more family oriented for my wife to drive.

Am I about to do something stupid by not fixing the car?

Fantomex

Didnt grover dibs on that 2 weeks ago :me

You going to undercut him like that

Nah hes got next week. Either way, I'll go whenever the thread isn't claimed. I got Larry Ellison on a teleconference call right now. He's giving me a PC with Windows ME , Microsoft Publisher 98, and Mavis Beacon Teaches Layout. The thread is gonna be hot for pre Y2K standards.

zychi

Banned
Okay bros, real life advice time. I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra that I bought new. It's the Limited trim with black leather interior, moonroof, heated front and rear seats, etc. Right now it has about 60,000 miles on it and is worth around $12,000 in good condition.

So a month or so ago a big hail storm rolled in and beat the crap out of it. Some of the hail balls were about twice the size of a golf ball, by far the biggest hail I've ever seen personally. The damage is purely cosmetic but there are about 25 little dents on the car now. Anyway, the damage was bad enough that in order to be properly repaired (paintless dent removal won't cut it for some of these dents) the entire roof, hood, etc. would need to be replaced. Long story short we got $7,000 for repairs from insurance.

So, now for the question. Do I keep the money or get it fixed? I owe $5,000 on the car still so I could just pay it off which would be awesome, plus I have some credit card debt I want to get rid of ASAP. We are set on keeping the car so I'm not really worried about selling it or trading it in at any point. The car I drive to work has over 300,000 miles on it so this Elantra could be a nice replacement for me when that goes, and then we could buy something more family oriented for my wife to drive.

Nah, use the insurance money to pay it off.

Doesn't sound stupid to me if it is merely cosmetic. If the damage is more than cosmetic, then get it fixed. Otherwise, if you can live with it, then get rid of those monthly payments and that damn credit card debt. Hell, I'd pay off the CC debt first, depending on the interest compared to your auto loan rate (I have to assume it is higher).

I should note that I am an adherent of driving my car into the ground (while doing proper maintenance, of course). I see a car as Point A to Point B, nothing more. If it is comfortable and gets me there on good gas mileage, I don't care how it looks for the most part. If you are different in those respects, then you need to decide for yourself. Given that you've got a car with 300,000 miles on it, I'm pretty sure you're not a car enthusiast.

Cosmetic stuff that doesn't impact how the car handles? Keep the money and use it to pay off what you owe.

Fantomex

If you were planning to keep it. Pay it off, and then pay off some bills with the rest. Don't worry about the dings. This is what MRSA drives to the work everyday.

Look at that Red Steering wheel, or he might of left the CLUB on while driving. Either way, I caught him slipping when I took this.

Been in similar situation. I just fixed the trivia cosmetic damages like a year later, and took care of what I had to first.

Nah, it's just cosmetic and you'd be putting a total of 12k back into it. Just pay it off and keep driving it.

bionic77

Pay it all off and worry about the rest later.

I can't speak for you but once I own a car I stop giving a shit about how it looks after awhile. It feels really good when you don't have a car payment. Eventually you will get suckered back in and buy or lease another car, but enjoy the good times while you can!

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better about this decision now.

The CC debt has no interest until April of next year and I'm pretty sure I can pay it by then (tax return should take care of it if nothing else). I think I'll just pay the car off and be done with car payments for awhile.

The damage is completely cosmetic, shouldn't affect how it runs at all. Hail storms are the best!

ShaneB

I use nearest when selecting the color processing. do you use something else?
I then use GIMP to resize the gif, but that doesn't change anything other than the size of each frame.

I don't think I've ever messed with any Gifcam settings other than the framerate. For editing software I've been using an old version of Jasc animation since it was recommended ages ago in a "make gifs" thread.

iiRZoUruX5IH3.gif

I could probably scale back more and shave the filesizes of what I come out with, but I think it's ok.

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better about this decision now.

The CC debt has no interest until April of next year and I'm pretty sure I can pay it by then (tax return should take care of it if nothing else). I think I'll just pay the car off and be done with car payments for awhile.

The damage is completely cosmetic, shouldn't affect how it runs at all. Hail storms are the best!
Pay off the car then use the money you would have been spending on the car to pay for CC debt. Then you can use that tax return for better things, like investing for retirement!

Spinluck

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fitzmagic light our defense up.

I recall him having a good game the last time we played him.

gutshot

Thank the lord DeMeco Ryans is going to play Sunday.

Yeah, we just need to get Kendricks back. Hopefully after the bye. I actually think our defense is OK. They aren't going to shut many teams out but they seem to be able to come up with the important stops and key turnovers. We just have to get our offense going.

Fantomex

Im waiting for the extended edition before i watch it.

You and i obviously have two different expectations for middle earth movies

It's all a cash grab, and an empty one at that. I'm sure you know that these movies are just Peter Jackson's imagination running wild on you brother! But we can pretend that these movies are really good and rich like the ones from 10 years ago if it makes you feel better.

Yeah, we just need to get Kendricks back. Hopefully after the bye. I actually think our defense is OK. They aren't going to shut many teams out but they seem to be able to come up with the important stops and key turnovers. We just have to get our offense going.

It would be better if they actually utilized Boykin. If they did that there wouldn't be too much to complain about. Generally it's better than last year.

eznark

Banned
It's all a cash grab, and an empty one at that. I'm sure you know that these movies are just Peter Jackson's imagination running wild on you brother! But we can pretend that these movies are really good and rich like the ones from 10 years ago if it makes you feel better.

Oh no, they weren't written by the same guy who wrote the Silmarillion. Such a loss.

eznark

Banned
lol wtf Chicago media. Asking why the Bears aren't getting the ball to guys other than Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte as though getting fuckin' Josh Morgan and Dante Rosario the ball should be a priority.

You deserve Cutler.

BigAT

Things continuing to look good for Peterson:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Montgomery County prosecutors have filed documents to have Adrian Peterson arrested after he admitted to using drugs, FOX 26 News learned.

eznark

Banned

Montgomery County prosecutors have filed documents to have Adrian Peterson arrested after he admitted to using drugs, FOX 26 News learned.

On the field by Thanksgiving, right crazy dude from yesterday?

I wonder if at some point the Vikings will cut him and try to get out from his contract. He is still owed $45m over the next 3 years. Crazy that he has thrown it all away with all this crap.

Hunter S.

When will Peyton get busted for major tax fraud or working with the mob?

this would only happen in Deacon's ,Tom Penny's, and Jcizzzle's wet dream.

I hope Houston wins because I think if they face the Broncos in the playoffs this would be the easier team to beat.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Is he even anywhere near Conroe/The Woodlands anymore? Are they going to send Dog the bounty hunter after him?

I guess they send a summons or something to have him turn himself in willingly? I know nothing about this kind of crap.

Should I lease a car for my next car if most driving I do is commute and grocery shopping?

Absolutely yes. Cars, unlike homes or land, are depreciating assets that people will still pay way more money on than the value of the car. Lease it for a few years and then let them deal with it. I would totally lease a BMW if I could since the electronic crap goes out about the time the lease is up anyway.

Top Bottom