• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Adam Gase keeps getting mentioned for an HC job. Did he make Manning better or vica versa?
Every year there's a Broncos coach drawing interest so I'm not surprised about this. It's hard to figure out how much of a hand he's had in making this offense work because Peyton Manning is the QB. McCoy has been doing fine down in San Diego with Felipe Rios screwing things up. I figure the same will happen wherever Gase lands because he and McCoy are practically the same.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi
· 1m 42 minutes ago
In fact, he said he was reading to orphan puppies and Gordon was picking up the dog food.

Draxal

You're calling Mario Manningham, Steve Smith and Reuben Randle hot? Were any of those guys ever consistently good?

Nicks had a year but went on vacation and never returned. Cruz explodes, then carries the team seemingly by himself then gets injured just as ODB gets on the field. Seems unfortunate is all.

Steve Smith was definitely hot during that time, but I understand what you mean, our WRs have bursts of greatness than fade away.

I will say that Smith, Nicks and Cruz were all very good players. But ODB ... just makes my jaw drop sometimes, and the others did not do that.

And to be fair couldn't you say the same thing about the Steelers with Plax/Holmes/Wallace/Brown (with Ward and Toomer being the old reliable veterans).

Lol I'd rather just resign HoHoyer.

Also it saddens me to say, but the BG Manziel fan club is closing down until further notice. Hope he can pull it all together wether its with the Browns or not. but I won't pin my hopes on him . :"|

Looks like we could be in a bad spot with the Qb situation. All options appear like they'll be on the table in the offseason

Joe Reedy ‏ @ joereedy 1m 1 minute ago
Manziel: "it's about being accountable and not being here looking like a jackass."

Syrinx

All the names being floated by Jed and the front office suck. They should be embarrassed to talk about replacing harbs with the likes of: Gase, McD, Kyle Shannahan and Jim Mora. That's pathetic.

Not a shot at Gase or McD, but it's so tough to evaluate when you're coaching the GOATs.
To be fair, we have some record of McDaniels as a HC. It...did not go well.

Bowser

Barnwell had some good stuff on the Panthers recent defensive resurgence:

It’s the culmination of an impressive post-bye return to form from this Carolina pass rush. In just about every pass rush category I can find, the Panthers have drastically improved during the final five weeks. They have almost as many sacks in the five games since the bye (17) as they did in their 11 games beforehand (23), increasing their sack rate from 5.4 percent to 8.9 percent in the process. Before the bye, they pressured quarterbacks on just 22.0 percent of dropbacks, the fifth-worst rate in the league per ESPN Stats & Information. Since they returned from their bye, the Panthers’ 32.5 percent pressure rate is the second-best in football, trailing only the Cardinals.

That’s been part of the drastic improvement in Carolina’s pass defense, which was 30th in QBR and 25th in passer rating before the bye and fifth-best in both categories afterward. It’s also only part of the solution, as the Panthers have also finally found a secondary that works. Carolina has been forced to shuffle through spare parts to piece together a secondary in each of Ron Rivera’s years with the team, and after losing three starters from last year’s surprisingly effective unit, it’s no surprise the Panthers had problems finding a workable secondary this season.

Also on Cam's elevated play:

The two stars of Carolina’s 2013 season deserve credit for leading Carolina through the morass of mediocrity to prevail as defending champs. Newton, even as he looked injured as recently as that awful Monday Night Football blowout in Philadelphia, persevered through a wildly frustrating season and a December car crash to lead his team into the playoffs. How many other quarterbacks would have been volunteering to carry the ball on read-option plays and third-down sneaks for 3-8-1 teams? Newton has had to throw only 80 passes during his three appearances in this four-game winning streak, but his 87.3 QBR over that stretch is the second-best figure in football, trailing only Romo’s 93.0 mark.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/week-17-wrap-up-the-mvp-finale/

For my boy eznark:

Football Outsiders @fboutsiders · 34m 34 minutes ago
Carolina Panthers ranked 24th in defensive DVOA in Weeks 1-9, then 5th in Weeks 10-17.

Every year there's a Broncos coach drawing interest so I'm not surprised about this. It's hard to figure out how much of a hand he's had in making this offense work because Peyton Manning is the QB. McCoy has been doing fine down in San Diego with Felipe Rios screwing things up. I figure the same will happen wherever Gase lands because he and McCoy are practically the same.

McCoy was actually a good OC who managed to win a playoff game with Tebow and manage Manning's first year back from surgery. Gase has not proven that he is anywhere near as creative or effective as McCoy. If any team is foolish enough to waste a head coaching spot on Gase then be my guest, because I want him gone along with Fox. G-O-N-E!

MechDX

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter · 60s60 seconds ago
Lions DT Ndmaukong Suh could be suspended for this week's wild-card playoff game vs Cowboys for stepping on Aaron Rodgers, per @mortreport.

Sephzilla

Lions DT Ndmaukong Suh could be suspended for this week's wild-card playoff game vs Cowboys for stepping on Aaron Rodgers, per @mortreport.

good

i still think his history warrants more than one game.

DMczaf

Restore the Roar 2014...but the playoffs are in 2015...

mtx35zy.gif

TheFatOne

I don't think we should cut Wallace, chances are we are getting rid of hartline and gibson, leaving us with Wallace and Landry a 2nd year player. We have too many other holes to add WR to the list in the offseason

How can they even take back a guy who quit on them? Best case scenario they sucker someone into given them some draft picks for Wallace.

McCoy was actually a good OC who managed to win a playoff game with Tebow and manage Manning's first year back from surgery. Gase has not proven that he is anywhere near as creative or effective as McCoy. If any team is foolish enough to waste a head coaching spot on Gase then be my guest, because I want him gone along with Fox. G-O-N-E!
Sure but it's hard to judge McCoy even then because he worked with Kyle Orton where things didn't go well at all, Tebow had the power of God on his side, and a 75% Peyton Manning is better than 90% of the QBs in this league. Good for him that he's been able to prove himself down in San Diego as someone who can turn things around.

I agree with your assessment on Gase but it's just hard when you have a hall of famer on your team. I think either the Jets or the Falcons grab Gase during the offseason and then we'll see what he's really made of.

Bread

Banned
I don't want kas to have any excuses when the lions lose though

You're calling Mario Manningham, Steve Smith and Reuben Randle hot? Were any of those guys ever consistently good?
Is that a joke? Steve Smith was an excellent slot corner. He had one big break out year but was a steady productive receiver for us while he was with the Giants. He tore his knee and that was that.

Hakeem Nicks was Eli's most targeted wideout while he was on the roster until he checked out. His issues came down to being injury prone. One "I quit" season doesn't nullify years of production.

Manningham and Randle are second/third WR's at best, sure but what's your definition of "hot"? As noted, Randle had a pretty hot game yesterday.

Would you say the Steelers are incapable of having more than one hot wide receiver at a time? Considering that they've ridden Antonio Brown all season long?

Cruz explodes, then carries the team seemingly by himself
You and I watched very different football teams in 2011 if you think Cruz "carried the team seemingly by himself". That's some revisionist history right there.

Is that a joke? Steve Smith was an excellent slot corner. He had one big break out year but was a steady productive slot receiver for us while he was with the Giants.

Hakeem Nicks was Eli's most targeted wideout until he checked out. His issues came down to being injury prone. One "I quit" season doesn't nullify years of production.

Manningham and Randle are second/third WR's at best, sure but what's your definition of "hot"? As noted, Randle had a pretty hot game yesterday.

Would you say the Steelers are incapable of having more than one hot wide receiver at a time? Considering that they've ridden Antonio Brown all season long?

Before This year? Absolutely I would say that! Steelers were a one receiver offense for years when Ward was here. Wallace was drafted, ran hot, then came down just as AB started up. It's only now that Martavis Bryant has taken off that they have two superstars at the same time (though even then i'd like to see some continuity from Bryant before calling him a superstar, tons of players have fluke great seasons.)

effzee

Stats for yesterdays game:

ODB - 12 catches, 184 yards, 1 TD.

Reuben Randle - 6 catches, 158 yards.

?

-----

Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham in 2011?

Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham in 2009?

Keel in mind they were playing the Eagles secondary. And not just the regular terrible Eagles secondary, but one missing starting CB Fletcher, and then his back Nolan Carroll also went out. We were lining up CB Watkins (Sammy Watkins's brother) on Randle and or OBJ.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Regarding the Giants WRs, it's all Eli. The Giants don't have to spend high draft picks there due to Eli making them look good. Now that they actually did pair him wih a high talent guy, the OBJ situation is what you get.

Good. Fuck him and fuck up his rep going into free agency. I forgot who said it yesterday before the games but there was talk about how Suh has been on his best behavior this year possibly due to the potential contract. Couldn't go the whole year.

MechDX

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout · 21s21 seconds ago
RT @JosinaAnderson: Source: The #49ers have requested interviews with Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Seahawks DC Dan Quinn.

Oh damn! Niners hire Quinn it would be awesome!

FTF

Good...another dirty play by a dirty player.

Respect

Actually a little surprised if it would happened, but they really have to with Riola essentially getting suspended for the same thing the week before.

Sephzilla

lol. Okay. Yeah, you guys better clean house. The 2 seed in the AFC is just not good enough.

You clearly dont watch the Packers considering you cant even put them in the right conference.

Defense has been the Achilles Heel for the Packers ever since their Super Bowl win. Guess what, it's their Achilles heel this year too. Any halfway competent running back has pretty much had their way against Green Bay. Nobody is saying they need to clean house, the defense has talent but the defensive coaching staff has overstayed their welcome.

bionic77

Actually a little surprised it happened, but they really had to with Riola essentially getting suspended for the same thing the week before.
Surprised?

You have to suspend players who intentionally try to hurt other players.

This was a no brainer seeing as how it was after the whistle.

WanderingWind

You clearly dont watch the Packers considering you cant even put them in the right conference.

Defense has been the Achilles Heel for the Packers ever since their Super Bowl win.

Man, I was talking about the Broncos fans bitching about Fox. If anybody on Green Bay is anxious to get rid of their coaches, they're equally silly. You don't fix what ain't broke and if your team in the playoffs, it isn't that broke. *

*Exceptions for the NFC South

Sephzilla

Man, I was talking about the Broncos fans bitching about Fox. If anybody on Green Bay is anxious to get rid of their coaches, they're equally silly. You don't fix what ain't broke and if your team in the playoffs, it isn't that broke. *

*Exceptions for the NFC South

Making the playoffs =/= your team isn't broken. Shit the only way I'd say your team isn't broken is if you make the Super Bowl, and even that is a bit dodgy considering the Bears managed to make it to the big game with Rex Grossman as their QB.

Sure but it's hard to judge McCoy even then because he worked with Kyle Orton where things didn't go well at all, Tebow had the power of God on his side, and a 75% Peyton Manning is better than 90% of the QBs in this league. Good for him that he's been able to prove himself down in San Diego as someone who can turn things around.

I agree with your assessment on Gase but it's just hard when you have a hall of famer on your team. I think either the Jets or the Falcons grab Gase during the offseason and then we'll see what he's really made of.
I'm just looking at how unprepared the Broncos have come out on offense for most of the year, and even into last year -- most notably the Super Bowl. Gase and Fox have had a lot of their mismanagement covered because of Manning, but even then that only works up until a certain point. Look at almost every game since the Patriots games. There is no balance on offense, and time and time again the coaching staff cannot seem to figure it out. I have no faith that they'll magically put it all together in the next few weeks, especially when Manning is clearly not healthy.

Respect

Surprised?

You have to suspend players who intentionally try to hurt other players.

This was a no brainer seeing as how it was after the whistle.

Just felt like it wouldn't happen...NFL would treat it like he was "pushed" into Rodgers. Actually misread it too though, it isn't official, just being reported as a possibility.

WanderingWind

Making the playoffs =/= your team isn't broken.

lol ok. With the exception of the losing record teams that squeak in, I don't understand this point of view. You're job as a coach is to get your team to the big game and that leads to the playoffs. If you're in the running for a championship, it's just fucking dumb to talk about firing your coaches. It's some fantasy football-esque GMing.

The worst part of making the playoffs is that it ensures that Mike Shula will probably still be employed.

Another year of 3rd and 8s on every drive, I guess

Top Bottom