• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

MechDX

.@sonofbum just told us he thinks @casekeenum7 is a better QB than Mallett or Savage. Intriguing.

And that's why Wade is unemployed

AlexMogil

Jeff Fisher still getting coaching gigs while Vince Young cant land a starting job feels like a slight injustice to me.

But look where he's coaching. Who wants that job? I like Fisher and the Rams a bunch but who would want to coach for that organization?

Sephzilla

I think the Card's could have a slim chance of beating Seattle in Seattle (the old "its hard to beat a team 3 times in one season" thing). Carolina has no chance though.

I just want to see the Cards knock off Seattle so the Super Bowl goes through Lambeau.

...and there you have it.

Dan Graziano ‏@DanGrazianoESPN 3m3 minutes ago East Rutherford, NJ
Tom Coughlin has been told that he will return to Giants in 2015, but still has a meeting with John Mara today re: potential staff changes.

Later, Perry.

effzee

The far more ridiculous call (or lack thereof) was on the play where there was DPI against Beckham, then he took a helmet-to-helmet hit when he was a defenseless receiver, then Beckham took off his helmet because he was so furious about the no call. It should have been three different flags on the play but the refs threw none. It was like they completely forgot there was a game going on for a play.

That one they showed over and over at stadium and honestly it didn't seem like DPI or helmet to helmet. It was shoulder to helmet.

Beckham is the real deal and probably top 5 in the league already at the WR spot but he was being overly dramatic there.

Spinluck

Idk who I'd choose between Eli and Ben, both are clutch as fuck.

Seeing as how Eli is in my good graces forever, so I'm going with him.

Fuck Ben for that 05 year! That fat fuck has no business chasing down corners who've been stabbed by their wives. That fumble return could've been one of the best playoff plays in franchise history. ;__;

bionic77

I think the Card's could have a slim chance of beating Seattle in Seattle (the old "its hard to beat a team 3 times in one season" thing). Carolina has no chance though.

I just want to see the Cards knock off Seattle so the Super Bowl goes through Lambeau.
:lol

Its not nice to use drugs that powerful and not offer to share them with anyone else.

bionic77

Idk who I'd choose between Eli and Ben, both are clutch as fuck.

Seeing as how Eli is in my good graces forever, I'm going with him.

Fuck Ben for that 05 year! That fat fuck has no business chasing down corners who've been stabbed by their wives. That fumble return could've been one of the best playoff plays in franchise history. ;__;
That would have been the most undeserved playoff win of all time. Or at least in the discussion and in the top 3.

Fucking fat fuck Bettis and his greasy ass hands...

Thank God Ben is always the clutch one and saved the season.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
That one they showed over and over at stadium and honestly it didn't seem like DCI or helmet to helmet. It was shoulder to helmet.

Beckham is the real deal and probably top 5 in the league already at the WR spot but he was being overly dramatic there.

Cruz is the same way. I wish they would both cut that shit out.

brentech

At Sokolowski's in Cleveland.
There is a picture of Hoyer with some of the owners, at the resturuant.....in full pads and uniform. Lol

rando14

Wooo NFC West champions!! It took every ounce of strength we had but we wiped that smug smile off of Shaun Hill's face and we did it in the trenches!! The #1 D and it ain't even close.

A new banner going up, this is the greatest day in Seattle history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Restore the Soar

Hey so Dolphins-GAF, what was the deal with Mike Wallace yesterday? Did he get benched by Philbin or did he take himself out of the game? Local radio talked about it for a bit this morning.

You deserve an AP beatdown for comparing Harrison to Suh.

Everything Harrison did was while the ball was still in play. If he ever did something after a play it was usually to a crazy fan that he would body slam or do something else that was awesome.

Suh has a repeated history of trying to hurt people after the whistle has blown.

That is unacceptable in any sport.
Yes I deserve that beatdown. I was going to mention that Deebo's fines were all related to actions while the ball was in play. My point, however, is that Harrison was routinely fined as Goodell's whipping boy.

Suh is Goodell's new whipping boy.

BigAT

That one they showed over and over at stadium and honestly it didn't seem like DPI or helmet to helmet. It was shoulder to helmet.

The CB ran into him before the ball got there. It was close in real time but apparent on the replay. It's something I would have overlooked if it wasn't for the other stuff on the play. Shoulder to helmet contact is equally illegal as helmet to helmet there.

Don't disagree on OBJ overreacting, I was pretty annoyed when he ripped his helmet off.

Sephzilla

So, I know the play by the rule book was correct but I'm not the only person who thought the blow to the head penalty that Stafford got was weak as hell right?

Hey so Dolphins-GAF, what was the deal with Mike Wallace yesterday? Did he get benched by Philbin or did he take himself out of the game? Local radio talked about it for a bit this morning.

Reports say it was a little of both, Wallace was bitching about not getting the ball and Philbin was sick of his shit. Not sure who did the benching though.

Wooo NFC West champions!! It took every ounce of strength we had but we wiped that smug smile off of Shaun Hill's face and we did it in the trenches!! The #1 D and it ain't even close.

A new banner going up, this is the greatest day in Seattle history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Restore the Soar

Why do you troll the Lions like this rando?

Can't you see they've been through enough. 50 years of despair and they finally win a couple games and you begrudge them for celebrating it? Not everyone can just show up out of the blue and start winning Owls.

Plus they still have to live in Detroit. Take pity on their poor souls

bionic77

So, I know the play by the rule book was correct but I'm not the only person who thought the blow to the head penalty that Stafford got was weak as hell right?
They should actually call that more often.

I see Ben and Fraud get hit in the head all the time.

Draxal

A mistake IMO. I think Giants need a fresh set of eyes and a new voice. I know most Giants fans probably disagree but the team seems to underperformed every year.

They haven't underperformed the last couple of years, the talent just wasn't there in key spots and underperforming units will have their coaches removed.

Except Tom Quinn, he and his perfect hair will survive anything.

He quit because he's a fucking bitch playing for a timid head coach. Basically came off the field after the Clay TD and told Philbin he was done for the day.

Meanwhile Rex Ryan gets a Gatorade bath for leading his team to 4 wins.

No one gives a shit about Philbin. Fuck this franchise.

A mistake IMO. I think Giants need a fresh set of eyes and a new voice. I know most Giants fans probably disagree but the team seems to underperformed every year.
Nope.

The team has just completed its first year under a new offensive coordinator that ownership is very high on and who they view as a possible successor to Tom Coughlin. A coordinator and offensive staff that put a top 10 offense, the #7 red zone offense and an improved Eli Manning who put up some of the best numbers of his career on the field. All with a patch work offensive line, a bunch of unknowns at WR and TE and with the help of an extremely dynamic rookie wideout.

You dump Coughlin, you dump McAdoo and you introduce a second offensive system in as many years. That wasn't going to happen nor should it happen if McAdoo is the Giants future. The defense needs a new coordinator and a fresh perspective but John Mara made the right decision in retaining Coughlin. Who you bringing in to be that "fresh new voice"?

Also, under perform is sort of a hilarious adjective to use here considering the massive holes this team still has and the injuries they sustained throughout the season.

MechDX

w6cIlF.gif

soooooo good, Poor Bort

Vio-Lence

Banned
Bears should do their best to get rid of coach killer Jay Cutler. Dude is a bonafide loser. No reason to keep the bum around.

Yes the thread went, as Dragon put it, typical GAF melodramatic.
I may have been involved.

It was the right call by the rule, but it's also one that's commonly overlooked depending on the impact. Honestly Fatford went all Brady pussy asshat and overreacted to get the call. Should be fined for diving.

Sephzilla

McCarthy didn't play like shit in the NFCC game or throw an awful game-ending INT.

If McCarthy wouldn't have ignored the hottest running back in the league during that game then the Giants might have actually honored the run and not basically sent everyone back to protect the pass. I'll argue to this day that the reason the Packers lost that game was because McCarthy called his worst game as a head coach.

Jarrod Bush also trying to pick up and run a fumble instead of just falling on it like you're supposed to not too long before also would have ended the game too (because he tried to pick it up and run he didn't secure the fumble and promptly lost it). That play permanently put Bush on my shit list as well.

They should actually call that more often.

I see Ben and Fraud get hit in the head all the time.

I just wish they'd call it for real blows to the head and not love taps to the face mask.

Speaking of face masks - they need to start calling face mask penalties on ball carriers more often. Grabbing someone's face mask =/= a stiff arm.

MechDX

PDS
‏@PatDStat Vacancy? RT @ChiefsInsider: Former #Chiefs GM Scott Pioli is drawing interest from the #Texans and #Jets for their executive vacancies.

Exactly. We have a vacancy?

Nope.

The team has just completed its first year under a new offensive coordinator that ownership is very high on and who they view as a possible successor to Tom Coughlin. A coordinator and offensive staff that put a top 10 offense, the #7 red zone offense and an improved Eli Manning who put up some of the best numbers of his career on the field. All with a patch work offensive line, a bunch of unknowns at WR and TE and with the help of an extremely dynamic rookie wideout.

You dump Coughlin, you dump McAdoo and you introduce a second offensive system in as many years. That wasn't going to happen nor should it happen if McAdoo is the Giants future. The defense needs a new coordinator and a fresh perspective but John Mara made the right decision in retaining Coughlin. Who you bringing in to be that "fresh new voice"?

Also, under perform is sort of a hilarious adjective to use here considering the massive holes this team still has and the injuries they sustained throughout the season.

Agreed. I have my Giants winning it all next season. You can take that to the bank.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've been thinking about this actually, thought about it this morning. I want to concentrate on how they're used more than anything. We'll see.

I can tell you how the Steelers use Martavis Bryant. Packaged plays only. No adjusting routes to the defense, no hots. In fact, I can only recall him running three routes; post, go and quick screen. It's worked to the tune of 26 for 549 and 8 td's in 10 games.

I think most of these young wide outs are exactly who we thought they were. Most of them are so physically talented, that they were able to use their gifts immediately. In a year or two, when they get a grasp on some of the more advanced concepts, they'll be running roughshod over this league. I think Watkins, ODB and Evans, in particular, will be amazing.

Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Watkins first year? Were the Bills limited by his grasp of concepts or did they run a full range of offense with him?

FV, thoughts on Beckham?

brentech

It's weak, but it's the rule so I'm usually mad when they don't call it.

There was a much weaker hit by Woodson a few years back. Him jumped trying to block a pass and his hand grazed the side of someone's helmet and it got called. From then on, I wanted it called for everything
It often goes unnoticed though

Rules are rules.

bionic77

I can tell you how the Steelers use Martavis Bryant. Packaged plays only. No adjusting routes to the defense, no hots. In fact, I can only recall him running three routes; post, go and quick screen. It's worked to the tune of 26 for 549 and 8 td's in 10 games.

I think most of these young wide outs are exactly who we thought they were. Most of them are so physically talented, that they were able to use their gifts immediately. In a year or two, when they get a grasp on some of the more advanced concepts, they'll be running roughshod over this league. I think Watkins, ODB and Evans, in particular, will be amazing.

Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on Watkins first year? Were the Bills limited by his grasp of concepts or did they run a full range of offense with him?

FV, thoughts on Beckham?
Speaking of adjustments to the defense, I still can't get over that TD Ben and Brown had to ice the game.

I have no idea how Ben knew that was going to happen and the ball was thrown perfectly.

God it is going to suck when Ben is not here anymore and we go back to shitty quarterbacks. We have been spoiled for so long as Steeler fans. :(

Draxal

FV, thoughts on Beckham?

Not future, but I'll speak for all Giants fans. The most dynamic offensive player we ever had and it is not even close.

FV, thoughts on Beckham?
That's definitely true for Bryant. Wheaton didn't get much PT last season. He definitely appeared to have a better grasp of things this year. He served pretty well as the Manny Sanders replacement.

Did you see something different re Wheaton?

Sephzilla

It's weak, but it's the rule so I'm usually mad when they don't call it.

There was a much weaker hit by Woodson a few years back. Him jumped trying to block a pass and his hand grazed the side of someone's helmet and it got called. From then on, I wanted it called for everything
It often goes unnoticed though

Rules are rules.

Yeah, it's a rule that definitely needs to be revised though. Incidental contact when trying to get a hand in the QB's face and disrupt his vision shouldn't be a penalty in my opinion. But modern day NFL likes to pretend QBs are made of glass.

Bacon

Question for Giants fans - Would Beckham have had the same impact this season had Gilbride still been the offensive coordinator?

I'm inclined to say no. Gilbride's system of branching routes and complexity had given nearly every rookie wide receiver the Giants had in his tenure problems.

Top Bottom