• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Spinluck

That would have been the most undeserved playoff win of all time. Or at least in the discussion and in the top 3.

Fucking fat fuck Bettis and his greasy ass hands...

Thank God Ben is always the clutch one and saved the season.

Fuck that! Maybe it would've been for Peyton who played like dogshit that game.

If you fumble on the 1 you deserve that being brought back!

BigAT

FV, thoughts on Beckham?

I spent yesterday watching All-22 film on every one of his snaps for the year. Analyzing his routes, examining the strengths and weaknesses of every facet of his game. I have published my thoughts below.

He pretty good.

Is 4k yards even a milestone at this point?

First time in 20 years? Second QB in franchise history? Yeah it's kinda of big deal for the Dolphins at least. Maybe not in the league.

I'm so pissed/depressed today.

#DolphinsFanLife

I kinda accepted it a few weeks ago and so yesterday I was glad they lost and kept with San Diego because now I get to go see them next year for the first time.

I said keep the INTs low.
First season Stafford hasn't thrown more than 15.

He was at 12 I think, with 27 TDs and of course not all were on him so it's at least acceptable.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Question for Giants fans - Would Beckham have had the same impact this season had Gilbride still been the offensive coordinator?

I'm inclined to say no. Gilbride's system of branching routes and complexity had given nearly every rookie wide receiver the Giants had in his tenure problems.
I don't think it would have hurt him. OBJ was drafted because of his intelligence and route running capabilities.

Not future, but I'll speak for all Giants fans. The most dynamic offensive player we ever had and it is not even close.

How old are you? I argue Tiki Barber was better. Tiki should have won the MVP the year Shaun Alexander's OL and FB won it for him. I will go to my grave saying that. OBJ is definitely the second best offensive player I have ever seen on the team though.

eznark

Banned
Congrats to the Dolphins for keeping Philbin! Stability is good for young QB's.

Too bad you can't fire the owner. Wonder if he will let them cut Wallace.

Draxal

I don't think it would have hurt him. OBJ was drafted because of his intelligence and route running capabilities.

How old are you? I argue Tiki Barber was better. Tiki should have won the MVP the year Shaun Alexander's OL and FB won it for him. I will go to my grave saying that. OBJ is definitely the second best offensive player I have ever seen on the team though.

Rodney Hampton is my favorite Giants player so that's a hint to my age. Tiki was very good and you might say a better player, but he's not nearly as dynamic as OBJ was.

Suh is the new Deebo. He's the face of Goodell's discipline in the league. It will be interesting to see what Goodell does here. Harrison would have been fined at a minimum. I don't think he'll suspend him but he had shown with Harrison that it didn't matter what point of the season it was.

Yeah except Harrison didn't deserve the shit that he got.

Sephzilla

I just have to say - when they cut to the shot of Rodgers in the tunnel waiting to walk back out onto the field I got fucking goosebumps. When he went down I thought he was done. Godgers must have injected blood of Favre into him in the locker room and inherited some of Favre's intolerance to pain.

You are a good person.

ihygUZXAByaLn.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
That's definitely true for Bryant. Wheaton didn't get much PT last season. He definitely appeared to have a better grasp of things this year. He served pretty well as the Manny Sanders replacement.

Did you see something different re Wheaton?

I really like Wheaton. He's not going to break a game open, but he's a steady possession receiver now. I feel like, not only is he understanding the offense better, but himself. Knows what he can and cannot do. To go from 6 receptions to 53 is a pretty great jump. He needs to become a slot guy, instead of a split end, because Martavis is going out there next year. So he needs to continue to work. I want to see him become effective at underneath routes and drags.

If these guys keep working hard, the skies the limit for this group.

Congrats to the Dolphins for keeping Philbin! Stability is good for young QB's.

Too bad you can't fire the owner. Wonder if he will let them cut Wallace.

I don't think we should cut Wallace, chances are we are getting rid of hartline and gibson, leaving us with Wallace and Landry a 2nd year player. We have too many other holes to add WR to the list in the offseason

eznark

Banned
I don't think we should cut Wallace, chances are we are getting rid of hartline and gibson, leaving us with Wallace and Landry a 2nd year player. We have too many other holes to add WR to the list in the offseason

Guy quit. How can you bring him back? I wouldn't let him back into the facilities.

Wallace needs to go. His mediocre production isn't worth it, the guy is a cancer and the Dolphins coaches suck ass at managing these types of personalities.

Haha Mike Wallace really put an exclamation point on my argument against him.

I really like Wheaton. He's not going to break a game open, but he's a steady possession receiver now. I feel like, not only is he understanding the offense better, but himself. Knows what he can and cannot do. To go from 6 receptions to 53 is a pretty great jump. He needs to become a slot guy, instead of a split end, because Martavis is going out there next year. So he needs to continue to work. I want to see him become effective at underneath routes and drags.

If these guys keep working hard, the skies the limit for this group.

100% agreed. I feel a little sorry for him considering Martavis came in and stole all his thunder.

Still. We need a guy to fly under the radar and Wheaton seems to be it.

bionic77

Fuck that! Maybe it would've been for Peyton who played like dogshit that game.

If you fumble on the 1 you deserve that being brought back!
Seeing that fumble in real time.

There are no words to describe how horrifying that was as a Steelers fan.

We come into Indy with a juggernaut of a Colts team that destroyed us 2 months earlier in the same place. We easily outplay the Colts and ride a hot defense and hotter qb to a big lead going into the 4th quarter. After a Peyton INT (not sure if it was an INT or they turned it over on downs but I remember PeyPey was really sad) we are lining up for Bettis to run it in and cement what I was preaching about Ben to GAF and anyone who would or wouldn't listen to me about him being a future great.

Then it all goes wrong and it seems like it is happening in slow motion. That fat fuck can't hold onto the ball or was paid by someone to throw the game. I was watching with my family and some friends and it was all Steelers fans. The room gets deathly quiet. The way it does when something really bad happens or when a really attractive person farts. We watch in horror as our season and improbable playoff run (we were 5-5 and ran off 6 straight to make the playoffs as a wildcard, Ben came back from a minor knee injury midseason and it seemed like it was going to be a lost season for a really talented team that went 15-1 in the previous year) was about to die before our very eyes. It looks like there is no way the Colts don't score a TD and steal the win but out of the corner of the screen you see Ben step up and make the shoestring tackle.

It still felt like we were going to lose that game because that was one of the worst stomach punches I have ever felt during a sporting event and it was probably even worse for the team on the field. Thank God for Vanderdrunk for shanking that kick and assuring that we took our rightful place alongside the Broncos in the Championship game (where Ben threw like 3 or 4 first half TDs and did that ridiculous gun slinger celebration).

I just have to say - when they cut to the shot of Rodgers in the tunnel waiting to walk back out onto the field I got fucking goosebumps. When he went down I thought he was done. Godgers must have injected blood of Favre into him in the locker room and inherited some of Favre's intolerance to pain.]

That's what the kids are calling Vicodin these days?

bionic77

I don't know how good OBJ will be but gotdamn at his one handed catches.

His practice videos are more impression than 98% of the receivers in the league highlights.

FV, thoughts on Beckham?

Giants used packaged plays a lot with Odell. What I mean by that the entire game was a package and he was involved in nearly every play.:)

In all seriousness, there isn't a route the guy can't run. Go, post, slant, crossing, sluggo, etc. You name it, he likely ran it. McAdoo moved him all over the field. Motioned him regularly into the slot, moved him back outside, out of the backfield, etc.

Eli targeted him an incredible 21 times yesterday. To say he was the centerpiece of our offense is an understatement.

Might grab a few gifs later today showing some of his route running abilities. To second what BigAT mentioned - he's just fucking good. The catch at the high point of the pass nearly 4 feet in the air and to come down with it one handed *banderas*.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
Rex Ryan should go to the 49ers not Chitown

Seeing that fumble in real time.

There are no words to describe how horrifying that was as a Steelers fan.

We come into Indy with a juggernaut of a Colts team that destroyed us 2 months earlier in the same place. We easily outplay the Colts and ride a hot defense and hotter qb to a big lead going into the 4th quarter. After a Peyton INT (not sure if it was an INT or they turned it over on downs but I remember PeyPey was really sad) we are lining up for Bettis to run it in and cement what I was preaching about Ben to GAF and anyone who would or wouldn't listen to me about him being a future great.

Then it all goes wrong and it seems like it is happening in slow motion. That fat fuck can't hold onto the ball or was paid by someone to throw the game. I was watching with my family and some friends and it was all Steelers fans. The room gets deathly quiet. The way it does when something really bad happens or when a really attractive person farts. We watch in horror as our season and improbable playoff run (we were 5-5 and ran off 6 straight to make the playoffs as a wildcard, Ben came back from a minor knee injury midseason and it seemed like it was going to be a lost season for a really talented team that went 15-1 in the previous year) was about to die before our very eyes. It looks like there is no way the Colts don't score a TD and steal the win but out of the corner of the screen you see Ben step up and make the shoestring tackle.

It still felt like we were going to lose that game because that was one of the worst stomach punches I have ever felt during a sporting event and it was probably even worse for the team on the field. Thank God for Vanderdrunk for shanking that kick and assuring that we took our rightful place alongside the Broncos in the Championship game (where Ben threw like 3 or 4 first half TDs and did that ridiculous gun slinger celebration).

Troy intercepted the ball, fumbled it, then recovered it and somehow the refs called it an incomplete pass.

Giants used packaged plays a lot with Odell. What I mean by that the entire game was a package and he was involved in nearly every play.:)

In all seriousness, there isn't a route the guy can't run. Go, post, slant, crossing, sluggo, etc. You name it, he likely ran it. McAdoo moved him all over the field. Motioned him regularly into the slot, moved him back outside, out of the backfield, etc.

Eli targeted him an incredible 21 times yesterday. To say he was the centerpiece of our offense is an understatement.

Might grab a few gifs later today showing some of his route running abilities. To second what BigAT mentioned - he's just fucking good. The catch at the high point of the pass nearly 4 feet in the air and to come down with it one handed *banderas*.

Seems the Giants can never have more than one hot receiver at a time.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
Rex Ryan could do work with that 49ers defense.

bionic77

Troy intercepted the ball, fumbled it, then recovered it and somehow the refs called it an incomplete pass.
:lol I remember that play.

He rolled around, did his hair and took like 2 steps and somehow it was an incomplete pass.

Refs were so bad in that game. But Hawk fans take notice. Winners don't let shitty refs hold them back. They take what is rightfully theirs!

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
victor cruz and odell together are gonna be legit.

Giants need to draft linemen

Seems the Giants can never have more than one hot receiver at a time.
Stats for yesterdays game:

ODB - 12 catches, 184 yards, 1 TD.

Reuben Randle - 6 catches, 158 yards.

?

-----

Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham in 2011?

Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham in 2009?

JCizzle

All the names being floated by Jed and the front office suck. They should be embarrassed to talk about replacing harbs with the likes of: Gase, McD, Kyle Shannahan and Jim Mora. That's pathetic.

Not a shot at Gase or McD, but it's so tough to evaluate when you're coaching the GOATs.

Stats for yesterdays game:

ODB - 12 catches, 184 yards, 1 TD.

Reuben Randle - 6 catches, 158 yards.

?

-----

Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham in 2011?

Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham in 2009?

You're calling Mario Manningham, Steve Smith and Reuben Randle hot? Were any of those guys ever consistently good?

Nicks had a year but went on vacation and never returned. Cruz explodes, then carries the team seemingly by himself then gets injured just as ODB gets on the field. Seems unfortunate is all.

MechDX

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi
· 2m 2 minutes ago
Johnny Manziel said he didn't arrange a party. Went out w friends, overslept. Josh Gordon was not with him, he said.

See? johnny is a good kid. You monsters in the media need to leave him alone.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think Fairley stays given the injury. He'll get a short term, home team discount type deal IMO. We still don't know what injury he has, but allegedly he could play next against Dallas (I doubt it).

Suh is gone.

From week 4 onward, the Lions beat writers have all been adamant that Fairley isn't being brought back. They sense something (or heard directly) from someone in the front office that they just flat out don't trust the guy to take the money and continue to play well.

Top Bottom