• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

I'm just looking at how unprepared the Broncos have come out on offense for most of the year, and even into last year -- most notably the Super Bowl. Gase and Fox have had a lot of their mismanagement covered because of Manning, but even then that only works up until a certain point. Look at almost every game since the Patriots games. There is no balance on offense, and time and time again the coaching staff cannot seem to figure it out. I have no faith that they'll magically put it all together in the next few weeks, especially when Manning is clearly not healthy.
You're right. They look like a mess out there. Lots of bad play calls in certain situations like red zone offense and third down conversions.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Not like the Steelers have been able to run against the Ratbirds, anyways. Get Josh Harris ready to pick up blitzers.

Michael Irvin telling me not to support criminal enterprises (by not buying counterfeit NFL gear) is ironic when he singlehandedly kept the Dallas cocaine industry afloat in the 90s

Spinluck

Seeing that fumble in real time.

There are no words to describe how horrifying that was as a Steelers fan.

We come into Indy with a juggernaut of a Colts team that destroyed us 2 months earlier in the same place. We easily outplay the Colts and ride a hot defense and hotter qb to a big lead going into the 4th quarter. After a Peyton INT (not sure if it was an INT or they turned it over on downs but I remember PeyPey was really sad) we are lining up for Bettis to run it in and cement what I was preaching about Ben to GAF and anyone who would or wouldn't listen to me about him being a future great.

Then it all goes wrong and it seems like it is happening in slow motion. That fat fuck can't hold onto the ball or was paid by someone to throw the game. I was watching with my family and some friends and it was all Steelers fans. The room gets deathly quiet. The way it does when something really bad happens or when a really attractive person farts. We watch in horror as our season and improbable playoff run (we were 5-5 and ran off 6 straight to make the playoffs as a wildcard, Ben came back from a minor knee injury midseason and it seemed like it was going to be a lost season for a really talented team that went 15-1 in the previous year) was about to die before our very eyes. It looks like there is no way the Colts don't score a TD and steal the win but out of the corner of the screen you see Ben step up and make the shoestring tackle.

It still felt like we were going to lose that game because that was one of the worst stomach punches I have ever felt during a sporting event and it was probably even worse for the team on the field. Thank God for Vanderdrunk for shanking that kick and assuring that we took our rightful place alongside the Broncos in the Championship game (where Ben threw like 3 or 4 first half TDs and did that ridiculous gun slinger celebration).

Why do you like reopening old wounds?

Oh god, Vanderchoke. Why? All of this was slowly leaving my mind, but then you begin to reminisce on Steeler past times in these random post.

Thank god we won the SB the following year. I am not sure what would have become of me had we gone without an SB in the Manning era. Games like this one against the Steelers were far too common. The disappointment/heartbreak was real.

Sephzilla

lol ok. With the exception of the losing record teams that squeak in, I don't understand this point of view. You're job as a coach is to get your team to the big game and that leads to the playoffs. If you're in the running for a championship, it's just fucking dumb to talk about firing your coaches. It's some fantasy football-esque GMing.

The mindset you're talking about tends to lead to complacency or straight up leads to a team getting their flaws masked because some other part of their team is working overtime to compensate for it. Stuff like this is what leads to teams that get one-and-done'd or get absolutely blown out in playoff games.

Are you seriously going to tell me that the Tim Tebow Denver Broncos didn't have issues that warranted some shake-ups?

harSon

Banned
Not like the Steelers have been able to run against the Ratbirds, anyways. Get Josh Harris ready to pick up blitzers.

People keep saying that, but his impact is more than just his ground game. He's great at picking up blitzes, excellent in the pass and awesome in the open field. Alongside AB and Heath, he's been a great safety blanket for Ben - and he's made tons of positive plays out of absolutely nothing.

At least with Bell, the Ravens had to respect the run since he's a legitimate threat. They're not going to respect shit with Archer and the undrafted bum fuck who we yanked off the practice squad. Hopefully Haley comes up with some creative ways to utilize Archer's speed....

squicken

The Lewis stuff makes me wonder how Jeff Fisher always seems to skate by for being such a thoroughly below average coach. He's had 6 winning seasons in 20 as a head coach. Lewis has already had 6 in half that time.

He's only had two teams win fewer than 6 games. He's just mediocre in every way. For a team like the Rams, who averaged 3 wins a year in the 5 years before he got there, that's an upgrade

To me, STL is a lot like SF was before Harbs. That team has a lot of underachieving and immature talent. There was some grumbling after the Giants game last week about the players getting tired of all the dumb shit, like they wanted a firmer hand.

My guess is they stay the course and hope Bradford stays healthy

Before This year? Absolutely I would say that! Steelers were a one receiver offense for years when Ward was here. Wallace was drafted, ran hot, then came down just as AB started up. It's only now that Martavis Bryant has taken off that they have two superstars at the same time (though even then i'd like to see some continuity from Bryant before calling him a superstar, tons of players have fluke great seasons.)
Well that makes a bit more sense. You're idea of hot seems to be a superstar wideout. I can understand that view but I think its very difficult to find a team with a combination of two guys that truly standout as "superstars". It's why I took a bit of umbrage with the view that Cruz carried the Giants in 2011. One of the main reasons the offense was so potent then was because we had Nicks and Cruz. If you dealt with those guys, you had to contend with Manningham. That was anything but a one wide receiver offense.

rando14

He's only had two teams win fewer than 6 games. He's just mediocre in every way. For a team like the Rams, who averaged 3 wins a year in the 5 years before he got there, that's an upgrade

To me, STL is a lot like SF was before Harbs. That team has a lot of underachieving and immature talent. There was some grumbling after the Giants game last week about the players getting tired of all the dumb shit, like they wanted a firmer hand.

My guess is they stay the course and hope Bradford stays healthy

They have another top 10 pick again this year, no?

Pre-Harbaugh 49ers indeed...

squicken

The team that should hire Rex Ryan is the Colts. Fire Pagano. His defenses get shredded by good QBs. Bring in Rex to run team/defense and let Pep keep telling Luck which run play will go for 2 yards

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The mindset you're talking about tends to lead to complacency or straight up leads to a team getting their flaws masked because some other part of their team is working overtime to compensate for it. Stuff like this is what leads to teams that get one-and-done'd or get absolutely blown out in playoff games.

Are you seriously going to tell me that the Tim Tebow Denver Broncos didn't have issues that warranted some shake-ups?

Except the Broncos didn't go one and done last year, and you don't know if they will this year. This is my point. Panicking at the first sight of an actual challenge and wanting to dump the coaches that have got you to where you need to be is straight up foolish.

The point of the NFL coach is to win games. If they're winning games and you want to get rid of them, fine. But now you're assuming the next guy is going to .... win games. Like the guy you already have. The known quantity. You want to get rid of the guy you have for the fantasy you have in your head.

That's not how reality operates.

Bowser

The worst part of making the playoffs is that it ensures that Mike Shula will probably still be employed.

Another year of 3rd and 8s on every drive, I guess

I won't lie, once Shula got a consistent OL and Philly Brown over Jason Avant, his offense hasn't been half bad. Not great, but not bad at all. We've averaged nearly 200 rush ypg in December for a reason, and he had some nice play calls yesterday as well (reverse to Philly on 3rd and 1 sticks out in my mind). If KB doesn't drop the easy catches, Cam would have easily hit 200 yards passing yesterday as well.

He clearly noted with the exception of losing record teams that sneak in...(granted Broncos were 8-8 with Tebow, but close enough).

Crisco

Banned
The worst part of making the playoffs is that it ensures that Mike Shula will probably still be employed.

Another year of 3rd and 8s on every drive, I guess

Yeah , but also Cam is taking more control of the offense with every passing year. Best case scenario is he has a big year, someone else hires Shula, and we hire a real OC.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I won't lie, once Shula got a consistent OL and Philly Brown over Jason Avant, his offense hasn't been half bad. Not great, but not bad at all. We've averaged nearly 200 rush ypg in December for a reason, and he had some nice play calls yesterday as well (reverse to Philly on 3rd and 1 sticks out in my mind). If KB doesn't drop the easy catches, Cam would have easily hit 200 yards passing yesterday as well.

The Panthers should really try playing with receivers at some point. It'd really help their chances.

The team that should hire Rex Ryan is the Colts. Fire Pagano. His defenses get shredded by good QBs. Bring in Rex to run team/defense and let Pep keep telling Luck which run play will go for 2 yards

Squicken your a wierd boy, yesterday you pretty much told me you think no team should Hire Defensive coordinators as HC.

Not sure if this stuff was posted:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m22 minutes ago
49ers have requested interviews with Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, per @JosinaAnderson.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 27m27 minutes ago
#Seahawks DC Dan Quinn is expected to hear from the #Falcons, #Jets, and #49ers. All slated to put in official requests, I’m told.

rando14

He clearly noted with the exception of losing record teams that sneak in...(granted Broncos were 8-8 with Tebow, but close enough).

You had 200 rush ypg because yall played the saints, falcons, bucs and browns though...

harSon

Banned
Whoever ends up taking the head coaching job for the Niners is destined to be fired in a few years if Kaep is under center.

watershed

Banned
I don't want the Hawks to lose Quinn but if he gets a HC job good for him. Hopefully the next DC up can do as good a job Quinn did in replacing Gus.

Spinluck

What world do you live in where the greater good is Manning choking to the Patriots?

It been a while since Manning lost to the Pats in the post season. But I can understand why you're concerned. Especially with his current condition and the fact that they would be in Gillette.

Spinluck

Ya right.

This front office doesn't have the balls to make that move. Stupid soft incompetent fucks.

Well that makes a bit more sense. You're idea of hot seems to be a superstar wideout. I can understand that view but I think its very difficult to find a team with a combination of two guys that truly standout as "superstars". It's why I took a bit of umbrage with the view that Cruz carried the Giants in 2011. One of the main reasons the offense was so potent then was because we had Nicks and Cruz. If you dealt with those guys, you had to contend with Manningham. That was anything but a one wide receiver offense.

I would say Cruz and ODB qualify, were it not for Cruz' Patella injury. Those two guys on the field at the same time....well, seems you guys need the early draft pick so maybe that was for the best.

Post faster assholes.

It been a while since Manning lost to the Pats in the post season. But I can understand why you're concerned. Especially with his current condition and the fact that they would be in Gillette.

It's more than that.

Baltimore is not a Super Bowl caliber squad. Flacco doesn't have Rice to pull his ass out of the fire anymore, Defenses have removed Steve Smith and that defense is missing Patriot killer Pollard. They'd get smashed by the Pats.

Manning is just looking for someone to choke to. and if he goes into Foxborough in the cold it will be the Patriots.

Steelers are the hero we need to vanquish evil (or the lesser of two evils depending on your perspective).

Crisco

Banned
DirecTV's web player is the worst thing ever conceived by man. These people should be jailed for crimes against humanity.

Sorry, we ran into a problem. Please restart the video player.

What a great message! And if restarting doesn't work? (it doesn't)

Kas is in epic form today. I'm on lunch break listening to my favorite local sports station and he has called in at least 5 times to argue:

-Rodgers deliberately placed his feet under Suh
-Rodgers faked his calf injury
-Suh didn't know he stepped on Rodgers because "sometimes I step on my kid's toys and don't know it." I didn't know Kas was a dad!
-That Packers player deliberately slapped Stafford in the head in a malicious attempt to injure him. When the host argued that the hit clearly occurred while the defender tried to swat a pass, Kas argued that was bullshit because "Stafford was throwing to his right, and the defender was coming to his left."

Too bad I have to go back to work, I can tell today is going to be an epic day of Lions spin.

squicken

Squicken your a wierd boy, yesterday you pretty much told me you think no team should Hire Defensive coordinators as HC.

Teams with elite QBs can hire defensive coaches, but those QBs generally keep people employed. The Colts are stuck in place until Pagano is gone. He's a defensive coach who can't stop good offenses

On the wide receiver front, a few gifs of Odell's routes in yesterdays game:

Here he is in motion, bottom of the screen - short gain:

iUvjOFhXhMtoL.gif

Underthrown ball from Eli here. Odell has to slow down to try and make a play on it. Could have been a big gain otherwise:

ibj1uNWy1I4Sr7.gif

17 hard gain here:

iDROvv8t5s2a3.gif

The big 63 yard touchdown in the 4th quarter:

iXUzypnzRFqpn.gif

Making the playoffs =/= your team isn't broken. Shit the only way I'd say your team isn't broken is if you make the Super Bowl, and even that is a bit dodgy considering the Bears managed to make it to the big game with Rex Grossman as their QB.
Speaking of the Bears, getting rid of lovie worked out great!

Capers and McCarthy will be in GB until capers retires, and thank god for that.

Problem on defense is personnel, not scheme. Ted needs to keep his free agency ear to the ground to find defensive impact players that other teams think are washed up. (Woodson, Peppers) Since we can't draft them worth a crap...

xnipx

Ravens can beat every team in the AFC field. Will they? Probably not. But no one thought we would beat Denver or NE that year either.

Rex needs to come back and relegate John back to special teams coach.

Respect

Post faster assholes.

It's more than that.

Baltimore is not a Super Bowl caliber squad. Flacco doesn't have Rice to pull his ass out of the fire anymore, Defenses have removed Steve Smith and that defense is missing Patriot killer Pollard. They'd get smashed by the Pats.

Manning is just looking for someone to choke to. and if he goes into Foxborough in the cold it will be the Patriots.

Steelers are the hero we need to vanquish evil (or the lesser of two evils depending on your perspective).

TJ Ward has already taken up Pollards mantle...He already took out Gronk's knee last year and tried the first catch Gronk made in their matchup with DEN earlier. DEN couldn't get Pollard so they got the next best thing available.

MechDX

Ravens can beat every team in the AFC field. Will they? Probably not. But no one thought we would beat Denver or NE that year either.

Rex needs to come back and relegate John back to special teams coach.

Ravens returning to the Owl. It's happening again

Spinluck

Post faster assholes.

It's more than that.

Dick seems to have his stupidest gameplans against the Pats though. It seriously confuses me, and I'd love nothing more to see the Pats bite the dust (it's kind of like everyone elses team winning the SB at the same time).

But I agree, Steelers are our best bet. Bungles are the Bungles, we suck and they shit on us every time, Ravens aren't the defense the Pats used to get fucked by, Denver looks like they're collapsing, and we suck.

xnipx

It would be amazing if they didn't shelf Jimmy Smith and he used some deer antler spray to come back and carry the defense ala Ray in 2012. No coincidence the entire secondary went to shit when our only good corner went down.

It would be amazing if they didn't shelf Jimmy Smith and he used some deer antler spray to come back and carry the defense ala Ray in 2012. No coincidence the entire secondary went to shit when our only good corner went down.

What the hell happened to Lardarius Webb?

Top Bottom