• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

TJ Ward has already taken up Pollards mantle...He already took out Gronk's knee last year and tried the first catch Gronk made in their matchup with DEN earlier. DEN couldn't get Pollard so they got the next best thing available.
But Denver as a collective seems to choke whenever they go into New England. Maybe the playoffs will be different, I don't know. Don't have a lot of faith that will be the case, but it is the playoffs and you never know.

brentech

Not like the Steelers have been able to run against the Ratbirds, anyways. Get Josh Harris ready to pick up blitzers.
People said that about the Packers against the Lions as well....
Eddie just didn't give a fuck. And Linsley is a man.
Speaking of the Bears, getting rid of lovie worked out great!

Capers and McCarthy will be in GB until capers retires, and thank god for that.

Problem on defense is personnel, not scheme.
Go on Twitter and you'll ruffle some feathers with that talk. I got angry tweets all night because I gave props to Capers a week ago for holding the lowly Bucs to less points than any other team including the Lions. It's the Bucs, but they have legit targets.

We really could use a true stud at MLB. It's always just some guy. No one dominant.

Mike Daniels is our only real force on the d line. Everyone else is a good rotational player that looks like a starter every now and then.

Judging by everything I read, the Packers were going to take Mosley or Shazier and then Borland but they were all off the board.

Why they went to a 4-3 only to ditch it is baffling. I mean it was really ineffective but still.

TheFatOne

Saw this posted on a Pats board so I had to post it here. So there's a possibility the Woody Johnson of the Jets fucked up in his press conference.
Woody Johnson said:
“If I thought I could have gotten Darrelle for [what New England paid] I probably would have taken him,” Johnson said. “I’d love for him to come back.”

Which seems to be a violation of the leagues tampering rules.
Public/Private Statements
Any public or private statement of interest,
qualified or unqualified, in another club’s player to that player’s agent or
representative, or to a member of the news media, is a violation of this AntiTampering
Policy. (Example of a prohibited comment: “He’s an excellent
player, and we’d very much like to have him if he were available, but another
club holds his rights.”)
All clubs should be aware that improper disclosure of
confidential trade discussions with another club may be a violation of this
section on prohibited public statements.

Jests lol

Greg

Problem on defense is personnel, not scheme. Ted needs to keep his free agency ear to the ground to find defensive impact players that other teams think are washed up. (Woodson, Peppers) Since we can't draft them worth a crap...
I think the D has been playing great recently anyways

if anything, you could look to the offense that's in a position to make teams one-dimensional and really help them where they lack, but they aren't capitalizing

I mean you have an offensive line that's playing great, a run game that people have to respect for once, and the best QB in the league... not too many excuses for the lulls they've had for quarters/halves throughout the season

Sephzilla

Problem on defense is personnel, not scheme. Ted needs to keep his free agency ear to the ground to find defensive impact players that other teams think are washed up. (Woodson, Peppers) Since we can't draft them worth a crap...

I'm torn on whether or not its a talent issue on defense. I think they have some talented players but they seem to keep making fundamental mistakes - which to me feels like a reflection more on coaching.

Definitely agree though about Ted and free agency. Woodson is probably the best defensive player not-named-Clay Ted has had during his tenure as GM and that was a free agent pickup. Peppers has turned out to be alright as well. If I have one complaint about Thompson its that I think he ignores the free agent market a little too much.

Tabris

If the Broncos don't make the SB or get embarrassed in the SB, they need to hire Rex Ryan for those last couple of Peyton years.

I'm torn on whether or not its a talent issue on defense. I think they have some talented players but they seem to keep making fundamental mistakes - which to me feels like a reflection more on coaching.

Definitely agree though about Ted and free agency. Woodson is probably the best defensive player not-named-Clay Ted has had during his tenure as GM and that was a free agent pickup. Peppers has turned out to be alright as well. If I have one complaint about Thompson its that I think he ignores the free agent market a little too much.

Free agency is for depth, not talent.

You mean you're torn whether or not MD Jennings or Charlie Peprah weren't a serious problem? Or Brad Jones and AJ Hawk?

The defense lacks, lacks, will lack playmakers. We lost Jenkins on the line, Collins in the secondary, and Woodson roaming around the field. I don't know how much slack to give him but Tramon had a separated shoulder for awhile to boot.

There's far too little talent on the D-Line and LB which explains the weak ass run defense and inability to collapse the pocket/get a good pass rush.

Capers defense is about containing the QB and forcing bad throws.

Kas is in epic form today. I'm on lunch break listening to my favorite local sports station and he has called in at least 5 times to argue:

-Rodgers deliberately placed his feet under Suh
-Rodgers faked his calf injury
-Suh didn't know he stepped on Rodgers because "sometimes I step on my kid's toys and don't know it." I didn't know Kas was a dad!
-That Packers player deliberately slapped Stafford in the head in a malicious attempt to injure him. When the host argued that the hit clearly occurred while the defender tried to swat a pass, Kas argued that was bullshit because "Stafford was throwing to his right, and the defender was coming to his left."

Too bad I have to go back to work, I can tell today is going to be an epic day of Lions spin.
Lol is it really him or just some random guy defending it.

He missed tackles but you don't bench a Pro Bowl alternate/team leader in a big game like that unless the replacement is good. Horrible coaching decision to punish the wrong guy.

Caldwell was horrible yesterday. He didn't cost us the game but still, the 4th down call at the 31yd line and the challenge...just reeks of smartest man in the room syndrome. Get out of the way and let the team play.

Circling back to something Draxal and I had talked about:

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 41m41 minutes ago
Pugh took umbrage at thoughts of him moving to guard: "I have no intentions (of moving) ... I came here to play tackle."

Tom Rock ‏@TomRock_Newsday 40m40 minutes ago
Pugh: "I talked to coach and I’m the right tackle for the New York Giants."

Lol is it really him or just some random guy defending it.

You never know, it could be him. It's 46 degrees in Michigan today, no doubt too cold for Kas to work so he has plenty of time to call in to the radio 10 times :jnc

low key Kas you're my dude tho, keep on keeping on.

Sign a mauler and put him at guard, then slide Richburg to Center.

Tell Walton to fuck off.

I was in the middle of a similar post. :jnc

Newsday writer tweeted Damontre Moore was really pissed off in the locker room but didn't comment. Wondering if it's about Perry.

Newsday writer tweeted Damontre Moore was really pissed off in the locker room but didn't comment. Wondering if it's about Perry.
Play better defense. That helps to save your coach.;)

As for Pugh, I got a laugh at the assertion to move him to guard after he explicitly just said the coaching staff has no intention of doing so. Persistent bunch.:D He's the right tackle guys.

Respect

Rex is joining the dark side and becoming the Patriots DC. Thus begins the second Patriots dynasty.

Ha, I wish, man can coach a defense no doubt...certainly going to miss the limp fish post-game handshakes between him and Belichick.

Rex's ego wouldn't allow this

I used to think the same about Revis...funny how money changes ones perspective...but I agree...there wouldn't be enough money to make those 2 co-exist on the same team.

WhyNotBoth.gif?

In a perfect world yes, but this one isn't.

No problem with plugging a hole or two through FA. The big splash moves rarely seem to work out, though.

Plugging a hole is signing for depth. It just costs too much money to build your team from FA and the dividends never last long enough. Of course there are exceptions (like the once in a career Manning FA that instantly made the Broncos contenders).

He missed tackles but you don't bench a Pro Bowl alternate/team leader in a big game like that unless the replacement is good. Horrible coaching decision to punish the wrong guy.

Caldwell was horrible yesterday. He didn't cost us the game but still, the 4th down call at the 31yd line and the challenge...just reeks of smartest man in the room syndrome. Get out of the way and let the team play.
Yeah some of it was a little too much. I hope all is well with Dig though and he comes back ballin next Sunday.

Bread

Banned
I used to think the same about Revis...funny how money changes ones perspective...but I agree...there wouldn't be enough money to make those 2 co-exist on the same team.
Revie has always been about the money, everyone knew this. Rex has a shit ton of pride and he wouldn't report to Bill no matter how much money he was offered.

Plugging a hole is signing for depth. It just costs too much money to build your team from FA and the dividends never last long enough. Of course there are exceptions (like the once in a career Manning FA that instantly made the Broncos contenders).
What about the Pats secondary? The CB group went from one of the worst to one of the because of free agency.

MechDX

Ndamukong Suh is being suspended for Sunday's game against Dallas, per @mortreport. When he appeals, hearing officer will be Ted Cottrell.

Injustice! Stafford will just have to win on his own.

Figures.

Listened to the radio during my lunch break, and all of Atlanta is in a state of shock that Smith was let go, and Dimitroff dodged a bullet.

I don't blame them.

JABEE

Dallas gets a huge break from the league. Who would have guessed?

Don't touch Aaron, or his friends upstairs will make you pay.

Doorman

Just heard the news of the Suh suspension on the radio and sprinted here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Cheap-ass motherfucker, I'm not surprised in the least. Also still not even mad because it's all moot following our loss to the Cowboys anyway. He can spend his time cleaning out his locker in preparation to walk from the team during that weekend instead, how convenient!
Just to be clear I had us pegged to lose at Dallas even with Suh in the lineup, so I'm certainly not changing that expectation now.

Salaadin

Bell can hardly walk? Ugh. I don't like the way that sounds.

I've had knee injuries before and they always feel worse the day after but almost always feel better rather quickly. Still doesn't put my mind at ease though.

Top Bottom