• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Bowser

Wow the BS report for Sundays football games and the playoffs next week is pretty good.

They start off by questioning Rodgers injury.

Then they shit on Stafford's beyond pathetic road record against good teams.

And then Cousin Sal just did a hilarious Macho Man Tom Savage impersonation. The voice could improve but otherwise it was spot on.

Hopefully they can keep this up for the rest of the podcast.

Cousin Sal's Macho Man Tom Savage had me dying. Fucking hilarious.

It's funny cause I came across a facebook post about Sapp reaction to Suh and the first thing in the related articles that pops up is his hit on Cliffton. Lol

bostonpick_zpsuj5n0exj.gif

Legion of Whom

Looking at the All22 of this play it's crazy how veteran "elite" QB Matt Ryan stared down his first read in Douglas. He was open momentarily when got past Colin Jones (#42) playing shallow zone, but Ryan never bothered to look off Boston and it was easy enough for him to break on the pass and take it the other way.

So far but obviously with the fall of the empire young Tannehill will take over the AFCE and wreck havoc on the league.
Sacked 104 times the past two years, most in the NFL. Yet he still improved this season! Imagine what could happen with a better supporting cast.

I think Tannehill could become a top 5 QB in a few years if the Dolphins don't screw this up. Soooooo.... we're screwed!

Also, you read Ian's article on FA yet? Curious about your thoughts.

Sacked 104 times the past two years, most in the NFL. Yet he still improved this season! Imagine what could happen with a better supporting cast.

I think Tannehill could become a top 5 QB in a few years if the Dolphins don't screw this up. Soooooo.... we're screwed!

Also, you read Ian's article on FA yet? Curious about your thoughts.

We are going to cut him and he's going to the Pats isn't he? :(

Not yet I was worked late yesterday but I'll read it tonight and post my thoughts.

BigAT

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
Tom Coughlin on special teams issues: "I'm not down on the way things are coached." ... Like with the defense, he lists many positives.

tumblr_mjgfege9EK1ra44sfo1_r1_400.gif

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
John Mara summary:

- 6-10 is an embarrassment. Said he is "sick" about it.
- There is reason for optimism and that's why they've asked Coughlin back.
- Acknowledges unproductive draft classes of years past.
- Injuries need to be looked at. Two years in a row now with big numbers of IR'd players. "We will spend a lot of time this offseason on how to improve that"
- He still believes in Jerry Reese and the people at the top. Says these past two drafts have been strong and plan to have another one coming up.
- Says whether the whole staff comes back is a discussion moving forward but that's Tom Coughlin's decision.
- Acknowledges the defense did not pay well this season.
- Not under any illusions about who they are. Acknowledges "who we've beaten and who we've lost too". i.e. we've beaten up on shit teams.
- "We have talent deficiencies are certain positions. We know that."
- Said he'll discuss Coughlin's contract with him. Not concerned about the lame duck situation.
- Loss to the Jaguars was a low point. He said he stayed away from the locker room for fear he might say something that he would regret to the coaches. He said he was ready to fire everyone after that game.
-Said he hasn't had any discussions about McAdoo succeeding Coughlin.
- Said Odell is the most exciting rookie he has seen in the organization since 1981 (Lawrence Taylor).
- Asked about how he felt about the free agency class he brought in and how he feels about it in retrospect "I can't rationally speak on that - they were all hurt."
- Reiterates the head coach will make the final decision on staff changes but he'll give his opinion. Reiterates defense was not good. The amount of game winning drives given up was unacceptable.
- "Right now, Tom Coughlin gives us the best chance to win. How long that lasts? I don't know."
- "We lost some of our best defensive players. Some guys are getting older and need to be replaced"
- On JPP: "We certainly want him back but at the right price. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a Giant next year."
- Franchise tag is a possibility for JPP.
- On Rolle: 'We'd like to have him back but at the right price."
- On Eli "We'll have a conversation with his agent at some point" Said he's like to extend Eli. Believes they can still win a championship with him.

...and that's that.

You'd be silly to think that Mara won't put pressure on Couglin about moving on from Fewell.

Also, when asked if 2015 was "win or else" type of year? Mara responded that would not be an unfair statement.
Even though it's not another Wellington running the organization (me), I am glad our ownership is involved in the right ways.

Tom Penny

The NFL is fluid and is constantly changing. The great QB's: Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben have to stop playing sooner or later as their skills start to deteriorate. Who does that leave Rodgers and Luck? Who is coming down the pipeline? Already starting to see a shift back to a strong run game is needed to compliment a decent to good QB. We will never see a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" run game again but it will return and be more important than is has been recently

With the new rules. All good QB's now will play until they are 40.

AT that doesn't mean anything.

Coaches like corporate execs just fail upwards and they say nice things about you publicly while prepping your golden parachute even if they hate your guts.

Draxal

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
Tom Coughlin on special teams issues: "I'm not down on the way things are coached." ... Like with the defense, he lists many positives.

tumblr_mjgfege9EK1ra44sfo1_r1_400.gif

To be fair to Coughlin and Mara, they're not going to throw coaches under the bus.

(except for Gilbride last year, which Mara really regrets so I think he was more careful to avoid it this year).

AkuMifune

Banned
I think if PIT gets past BAL without Bell, they can get to the SB. It's what I picked actually (PIT vs. SEA)

I picked that too actually, but we haven't seen shaky Pittsburgh in a while. They're due for a stinker. At least that's what I'm preparing myself for.

Coughlin up. Summary:

- Need to start earlier than the 9 weeks allotted to us.
- We need to emphasize the program before the season starts. Where the players need to be from a conditioning stand point. Mentioned the weight program and the team needs to be stronger.
- He felt the players stayed together, fought together and demonstrated maturity and he was proud of that.
- "We've done the science and will continue to do it" Mentions having the GPS system and will continue to monitor.
- Says they made changes to the strength program before the season.
- Everything is being evaluated. That will take time.
- On the Jags game: "You want to talk defense? How about the fumble. Ball hits the ground and gets run into the end zone. You thought I was joking about kneeling down in the second half? We would have won".
- Defends the defense. Says they are fourth in the league in certain categories. Sacks, 3rd down percentage, red zone, etc. Other areas were bad. "You gotta evaluate everything"
- Will Perry Fewell be back? "I'm evaluating everything."
- "Why am I here? I'm here because I want to win"
- Coughlin fired up "We're her to win. Do you think I have my feet up on my desk or something? I'm as sick as anyone here. What else are you going to do but fight, swing, and claw."
- On the defense "I'm trying to introduce balance. If you're going to look at the bad ...."
- Mentions being able to run the football and keeping the opposing team on the bench. "No better example than Dallas this year. Everyone has nice stats - they run the football"
- Special teams - he mentions punt coverage as an issue. Mentions they improved in many categories.
- "I'm not down on the way things are coached" when discussing special teams.
- Mentions Randle as a "fair catch guy" as a punt returner. Don't plan to see him returning next year.:)
- Coughlin jokes he'd like to have a 10 year extension.
- Asked whether he had an issue with coaching on a one year deal. "Walter Alston. 21 one year deals. Maybe."
- Asked about his legacy "Does it bother me how I'm viewed as a coach year to year? Of course. I don't want to be associated with losing."
- Greatly appreciative of the support he's gotten from ownership.
- On 2015 being win or else year "Every year is. You're supposed to win. So win!"
- He doesn't seem particularly pleased with Danny Langsforf bolting to Nebraska. "I expect people to be here more than one year".

bionic77

I picked that too actually, but we haven't seen shaky Pittsburgh in a while. They're due for a stinker. At least that's what I'm preparing myself for.
We just saw shaky Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Ben was under the weather and we lost our game changing RB midway through the game.

We only won by the grace of Dalton.

Draxal

Coughlin up. Summary:

- He doesn't seem particularly pleased with Danny Langsforf bolting to Nebraska. "I expect people to be here more than one year".

He sounded really pissed about that Danny thing which is kinda stupid, you want your guys to get promotions.

Grexeno

"Shaky Pittsburgh" means "Pittsburgh playing a clearly inferior opponent", so hopefully now that it's playoff time we're done with that.

Bowser

"Shaky Pittsburgh" means "Pittsburgh playing a clearly inferior opponent", so hopefully now that it's playoff time we're done with that.

Pretty crazy 3 of their 5 losses were to TB, NO (those two AT HOME!) and NYJ. Three of the worst teams in the league.

bionic77

First of all, you disgust me.

Second of all, that was proven to be false. It doesn't save the Pats any money. Brady is just protecting himself so they don't throw him to the trash in the next 2 years and leave him with nothing. Read Bardwells article on ESPN.

Pretty crazy 3 of their 5 losses were to TB, NO (those two AT HOME!) and NYJ. Three of the worst teams in the league.
Unfortunately everyone in the AFC is trash. :(

Its going to be tough for us to win 3 games against this trash.

Luckily if we get to the SB we should breeze through a real good team like Dallas or Seattle.

FTF

That's kind of what I mean, why would Brady agree to this? He's basically gambling on himself at his age to not get cut for what's probably chump change to him. Maybe he's severely overestimating his own ability and value to the Patriots? Maybe there were under the table discussions about how long he has left? Just seems odd to me.

People have been doubting him for 15 years...he knows he's still great, if obviously declining due to age, so he continues to bet on himself. He may also be ok retiring before the contract is up if he wins another Superbowl this (or next) year.

...and finally Jerry Reese:

- Apologizes to the fans for the 6-10 season.
- Disappointed in the teams inability to close games out.
- Feels the team is going in the right direction. He takes full responsibility for the personnel issues.
- Any regrets drafting Odell Beckham? "No, I think he has a chance to be a good little player" he says deadpan.
- On Odell "He's what we call a dog here."
- Why do you think you have a chance to be a good team next year? "Its a close margin between being a winning team and a losing team. We were so close so many times."
- Reese on FA this year "We're not going to go out and spend like this year like we did this season"
- We're trying to upgrade everywhere.
- Reese said he met with all of his UFA's. Has not had discussions with their agents.
- Says JPP can be a game changer. Didn't see enough of that early in the season.
- On Eli: "He's not an old man but he's not a baby anymore."
- Says he's not heard from any teams about anyone on his staff.
- On the draft and asked about taking less risks, he says its about mitigating risks but sometimes you do it knowing it may no work out. Says "We took a risk on Mario Manningham...it's a lot easier picking at 12 and above than it is at 32."
- "All players are risks..sometimes they look like a duck, quack like a duck and then you get them on the field and nothing"
- On JPP and the franchise tag "We'll keep all of our options open"
- On the staff and his opinions "Tom and I talk every Monday. We don't sugarcoat it, we don't BS one another. I give my opinion."
- "Tom Coughlin and the caliber of coach he is should have the right to pick his coaches. I give my opinion, John and Steve give their opinions but has that right."
- "You can tell quickly if a team is not going to play for a coach - that never happened here."
- On Victor Cruz "We're hoping he comes back and be the Cruz that we like and know but you never know with his injury. Its a significant injury."
- You have to prepare as though 'What if Victor doesn't come back?"
- On Odell "It was pretty apparent he was a weapon. You have him in the SEC and you say guys back up when lined up against him."
- Every year is a win or else year. Its a "What have you done for me lately?" league.
- Guys have to learn to win. Learn to rise up and stand out. "I don't know that we had enough guys to do that"
- He says he thinks they still have issues on the offensive line but they can't ignore other positions. "You try to upgrade as many positions as you can as often as you can"

...and that's it for conferences.

squicken

The Giants brass seems to give relatively candid answers at the press conferences. I don't even bother listening to the Rams b/c it's all crap and hyperbole and non-talk

You know I think Oakland might be a better HC job than SF. I'm thinking the SF might get old real quick on offense and the Raiders have a number of interesting pieces

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Thinking back on the NFL season, am I the only one that thinks that the product has gotten diluted as far as the play on field? I think that there are two teams that are head and shoulders above the rest (Pats and Seahawks) and then there's everyone else. There was an entire division that finished below .500 and most other divisions had one strong team that beat up on garbage. Shit look at the AFC South (Sorry Texan fans). I feel like more than ever this year there was a big step downward and that the competition is way worse.

I partially blame the new CBA and the lack of contact practices and practices in general.

I also blame the college game veering off into its own style of play versus the pros (or maybe it's always been this way? Seems more pronounced) I'm sort of concerned we won't see as many great quarterbacks in the future because of this. After Brady and Manning retire we have....Rodgers and Luck? Gonna have to hope some unknowns come out of the draft the next two years.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The Giants brass seems to give relatively candid answers at the press conferences. I don't even bother listening to the Rams b/c it's all crap and hyperbole and non-talk

I think that it's a result of a very very old guard fanbase (I read somewhere years ago that the giants have the oldest fanbase in the NFL) and franchise and of course the NY media.

Syrinx

Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder showed that drafting a QB high just because you need one is not a good idea. Prudent of the Titans not to go for Mariota or Winston if they reallu don't think they're the guys for them. And like I said in the offseason thread, I think the Bucs do the same.

Draxal

I think that it's a result of a very very old guard fanbase (I read somewhere years ago that the giants have the oldest fanbase in the NFL) and franchise and of course the NY media.

The ticket fanbase is old, but I just think it's Mara being Mara (specifically Mara remembers how much of a disaster the Giants were in the 70's and he will do everything possible to avoid that).

Coughlin and Reese weren't that candid.

Top Bottom