• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

bionic77

Greg is the guy who doesn't want just one girl! He goes for the gusto!

B6HHCBtIYAEPnf6.jpg:large
The one thing I learned from the trashy Netflix show Marco Polo is that having a harem seems like a lot of work.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Thinking back on the NFL season, am I the only one that thinks that the product has gotten diluted as far as the play on field? I think that there are two teams that are head and shoulders above the rest (Pats and Seahawks) and then there's everyone else. There was an entire division that finished below .500 and most other divisions had one strong team that beat up on garbage. Shit look at the AFC South (Sorry Texan fans). I feel like more than ever this year there was a big step downward and that the competition is way worse.

Any of you bros ever see Miyazaki's The Wind Rises? I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Reading more about the guy the movie is based on is making me appreciate it even more.

bionic77

Thinking back on the NFL season, am I the only one that thinks that the product has gotten diluted as far as the play on field? I think that there are two teams that are head and shoulders above the rest (Pats and Seahawks) and then there's everyone else. There was an entire division that finished below .500 and most other divisions had one strong team that beat up on garbage. Shit look at the AFC South (Sorry Texan fans). I feel like more than ever this year there was a big step downward and that the competition is way worse.
The play has not gotten diluted.

My problem is that it is getting boring watching this much offense.

Even as a guy whose team that has a great offense.

But I think I am in the minority. I think most fans want this and prefer more offense.

eznark

Banned

Nah this is basically the product since realignment.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The play has not gotten diluted.

My problem is that it is getting boring watching this much offense.

Even as a guy whose team that has a great offense.

But I think I am in the minority. I think most fans want this and prefer more offense.

I only have one friend who seems to enjoy watching the defensive side of things as much as I do in my group.

I get more pumped or excited for a great defensive play by the Browns then a solid offensive play. But then again that might also be because I gave up on the offense a while ago.

squicken

I said the same a few times this year. Way more big blowouts. Lots of teams that are just uncompetitive. All the offensive rules favor teams that have good QBs. It's really all about the offenses. It was clear that CLE and STL had no chance of the upsets on Sunday, simply b/c you could tell they would never score points

MechDX

Don't disagree. Bionic is also right that the offenses are just running wild which I hate with a passion. Its just funny that for 32 job openings at QB for an NFL team and thousands of people who play the position in the world and you can only find 10 that are competent at it?

Draxal

Mara supposedly leaving the decision on the staff (Quinn, Fewell) on Coughlin. Ugh.

Welp, MacAdoo is our head coach in 2016.

You mean like the Steelers/Raiders in the 1970's, 49ers in the 80s, Boys in the 90's?

I said the same a few times this year. Way more big blowouts. Lots of teams that are just uncompetitive. All the offensive rules favor teams that have good QBs. It's really all about the offenses. It was clear that CLE and STL had no chance of the upsets on Sunday, simply b/c you could tell they would never score points

It's qb league, and there's just noe enough qbs.

Tom Penny

Pretty strange to hear Belichick say they use their player personnel guy Nick Casserio for tons of drills in practice at QB and he goes to all the player meetings too. I'm not sure when he can do his actual job. I can't imagine that is normal.

BigAT

Mara supposedly leaving the decision on the staff (Quinn, Fewell) on Coughlin. Ugh.

Ugh indeed. When was the last time Coughlin fired someone when it wasn't extremely clear that his hand was forced by the organization?

1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Tom Quinn

LJ11

On field product was/is shit this year. I'm not sure what to think of the Pats, Gronk and Revis run their respective units. Those two guys are game changers, they just change the rules when they're on the field.

Edit: There's a lot of bad QBs in this league, that's the gist of it. 2/3rds of the league are playing with just a guy or a warm body.

bionic77

I only have one friend who seems to enjoy watching the defensive side of things as much as I do in my group.

I get more pumped or excited for a great defensive play by the Browns then a solid offensive play. But then again that might also be because I gave up on the offense a while ago.
Yeah I miss defense too.

But a big part of the old days when defense was big was killing the offensive players. Thats not allowed anymore as part of the rules and no fans (with some very weird exceptions) really get excited anymore when someone gets hurt. So it makes sense to shift to offense but I do hate it. There must be a way to defend without killing people.

That hit on AJ Green that KOed him in the 4th quarter was a highlight 15 years ago. And fans would get pumped over it. Now we know better.

see5harp

Jed York getting grilled on KNBR right now. I don't know why they trying to grill him on his Thanksgiving Tweet. The Niners fucking sucked in that game and I did feel like I deserved a response. Since Harbaugh and Kap are shit tier when it comes to interviews, it was nice to get some personal responsibility from someone from the team.

MechDX

The NFL is fluid and is constantly changing. The great QB's: Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben have to stop playing sooner or later as their skills start to deteriorate. Who does that leave Rodgers and Luck? Who is coming down the pipeline? Already starting to see a shift back to a strong run game is needed to compliment a decent to good QB. We will never see a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" run game again but it will return and be more important than is has been recently

The NFL is fluid and is constantly changing. The great QB's: Manning, Brady, Brees, Ben have to stop playing sooner or later as their skills start to deteriorate. Who does that leave Rodgers and Luck? Who is coming down the pipeline? Already starting to see a shift back to a strong run game is needed to compliment a decent to good QB. We will never see a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" run game again but it will return and be more important than is has been recently

Tannehill, duh.

John Mara summary:

- 6-10 is an embarrassment. Said he is "sick" about it.
- There is reason for optimism and that's why they've asked Coughlin back.
- Acknowledges unproductive draft classes of years past.
- Injuries need to be looked at. Two years in a row now with big numbers of IR'd players. "We will spend a lot of time this offseason on how to improve that"
- He still believes in Jerry Reese and the people at the top. Says these past two drafts have been strong and plan to have another one coming up.
- Says whether the whole staff comes back is a discussion moving forward but that's Tom Coughlin's decision.
- Acknowledges the defense did not pay well this season.
- Not under any illusions about who they are. Acknowledges "who we've beaten and who we've lost too". i.e. we've beaten up on shit teams.
- "We have talent deficiencies are certain positions. We know that."
- Said he'll discuss Coughlin's contract with him. Not concerned about the lame duck situation.
- Loss to the Jaguars was a low point. He said he stayed away from the locker room for fear he might say something that he would regret to the coaches. He said he was ready to fire everyone after that game.
-Said he hasn't had any discussions about McAdoo succeeding Coughlin.
- Said Odell is the most exciting rookie he has seen in the organization since 1981 (Lawrence Taylor).
- Asked about how he felt about the free agency class he brought in and how he feels about it in retrospect "I can't rationally speak on that - they were all hurt."
- Reiterates the head coach will make the final decision on staff changes but he'll give his opinion. Reiterates defense was not good. The amount of game winning drives given up was unacceptable.
- "Right now, Tom Coughlin gives us the best chance to win. How long that lasts? I don't know."
- "We lost some of our best defensive players. Some guys are getting older and need to be replaced"
- On JPP: "We certainly want him back but at the right price. I'd be surprised if he wasn't a Giant next year."
- Franchise tag is a possibility for JPP.
- On Rolle: 'We'd like to have him back but at the right price."
- On Eli "We'll have a conversation with his agent at some point" Said he's like to extend Eli. Believes they can still win a championship with him.

...and that's that.

You'd be silly to think that Mara won't put pressure on Couglin about moving on from Fewell.

Also, when asked if 2015 was "win or else" type of year? Mara responded that would not be an unfair statement.

Big think you missed is that he said that he didn't force out Gilbride, but other than that thanks for the summary.
Didn't seem relevant considering Coughlin said the same many times last year when the Kevin moved on and McAdoo was brought in.

Gilbride just recently said in a radio interview that he was going to move forward with another year despite talking to his wife about retirement. Then he watched the Mara press conference where he called the offense "broken". He got up, went to Tom's office and told him he was retiring.

I'm pretty disappointed in some of the gutless, defeated Lions fans here.
Although Kas can be a bit... much... you never see him going belly up & already expecting the Cowboys to win.
Shame on some of you.

As a Vikings fan, I have a love/hate relationship with all our opposing NFC North teams, but I just can't stomach some in the Lions fan base already acting like the season is over come Monday. Fuck that. You have had a great season, you're in the playoffs, & got beat by 10 points to a damn good Packers team in Lambeau. All the sudden the sky is falling?
Pathetic.

I can't stand The Packers, but the team & the fans have the voice & bravado of winners. That's important.

Bears fans I can understand acting like a bunch of beaten dogs. Their whole organization is a goddamn mess & now they have to rebuild. I actually have some pity for them.
Come on, Lions-GAF. Find your balls & beat the goddamn Jerry Jones empire!

...just please don't win a Super Bowl before the Vikes do. ;)

They said it but do you believe it? And do you believe that Fewell will be gone if it was only up to Coughlin?
I believe what Kevin Gilbride says. There's zero incentive for him to lie. He's out of the football game.

I also believe that the decision will be left up to Tom Coughlin but John Mara will make his opinion very well known. He'll give Coughlin the rope and watch to see if Coughlin will hang himself with it.

bionic77

Although Kas can be a bit... much... you never see him going belly up & already expecting the Cowboys to win.
Shame on some of you.

As a Vikings fan, I have a love/hate relationship with all our opposing NFC North teams, but I just can't stomach some in the Lions fan base already acting like the season is over come Monday. Fuck that. You have had a great season, you're in the playoffs, & got beat by 10 points to a damn good Packers team in Lambeau. All the sudden the sky is falling?
Pathetic.

I can't stand The Packers, but the team & the fans have the voice & bravado of winners. That's important.

Bears fans I can understand acting like a bunch of beaten dogs. Their whole organization is a goddamn mess & now they have to rebuild. I actually have some pity for them.

Check out Staffords record against teams with winning records on the road.

It is pretty bad. Like 0-16 bad.

eznark

Banned
Shame on some of you.

Pathetic.

Vikings will be back to being the second relevant NFCN team next year. Lions window closed. You have a great coach and a serviceable QB.

Draxal

I believe what Kevin Gilbride says. There's zero incentive for him to lie. He's out of the football game.

I also believe that the decision will be left up to Tom Coughlin but John Mara will make his opinion very well known. He'll give Coughlin the rope and watch to see if Coughlin will hang himself with it.

His son is still the tight end's coach. I'll take everything they say with a grain of salt except the Jacksonville thing. Boy that loss was bad. And we also know he regrets the offense was broken line as well (and that offense was broken but it was because of how poor that oline was).

Yep, the Vikings have the makings of a good team.

I really hope they don't get a good DL or continue to beef up that secondary.

Dem white TEs. <3

Shame on some of you.

Pathetic.

Yeah my fellow fanbase on here sucks. I think me, Kas and Beast are the only ones who think we can still win. It's pathetic really I'm not gonna try to change the opinion of the rest instead just gonna root for my team.

Top Bottom