• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

What were you watching on before this?

I think I have had an HDTV since like 2002. Back then it was a POS projector that could only do 720p or 1080i and only had component inputs. My rich uncle bought a $10k plasma tv that was 720P. I threw mine in the trash can like 5 years ago and upgraded to a nice Samsung. My uncle still has that shitty plasma. I couldn't throw it away either even though it looks like garbage.

The lesson to be learned here? Don't be a first adapter when it comes to tvs. I wouldn't say wait until 2015 to get a 1080P tv, but you should definitely wait until the tech has stabilized 2-3 years after it has released.

:(

26" Olevia 720p tv from 2007, and that was when I think 1080p was starting to penetrate the masses. I upgraded then from an old CRT and was blown the fuck away when I started up BioShock on it. It was great when I was still living at home watching football and baseball games in my bedroom, but now that I'm gone from there and have a living room of my own I needed a size and resolution upgrade.

I'm an early adopter for most other entertainment gadgets like consoles, handhelds and blu-ray, but as far as tvs go I couldn't care less about 4k or smart tvs right now, simply because what they offer is nowhere near what I'm willing to pay for it. The floor models at best buy were impressive, but I'm willing to wait for the market to decide a better entry price.

Harbaugh-Wives.png

Well at least Jim won something John didn't

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks John's wife looks like a Katey Sagal stand in.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Whose life would you rather have?

This is kind of a tough question.

Jim was the quarterback at Michigan so if we use the bionic method of valuing an individual, he probably feasted on women far more than John ever did.

However as a player in college and the pros he was probably concussed a few dozen times (this is why he acts like a man child on the sidelines compared to John). Plus John can actually win a Super Bowl and keep a locker room together (under the threat of murder and assault but I digress).

Financially it's probably a wash.

Jim does have the much hotter wife.

It's a pretty hard call I suppose.

bionic77

26" Olevia 720p tv from 2007, and that was when I think 1080p was starting to penetrate the masses. I upgraded then from an old CRT and was blown the fuck away when I started up BioShock on it. It was great when I was still living at home watching football and baseball games in my bedroom, but now that I'm gone from there and have a living room of my own I needed a size and resolution upgrade.

I'm an early adopter for most other entertainment gadgets like consoles, handhelds and blu-ray, but as far as tvs go I couldn't care less about 4k or smart tvs right now, simply because what they offer is nowhere near what I'm willing to pay for it. The floor models at best buy were impressive, but I'm willing to wait for the market to decide a better entry price.
4K is worthless as there is no content for it.

Whose life would you rather have?
Obviously John.

The douche has a hotter wife and probably had way more chicks, but John actually looks content and happy whereas the douche looks miserable or angry 99% of the time.

I would rather have the douche for my coach though. I want my coach to be miserable and angry most of the time!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=za6QuSeiGE8&sns=em

Referees Mike Pereira and Walt Johnson both joining Bill Polian and others and saying the Suh suspension is unjustified.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/549942760480849921

I have a feeling he wins the appeals and rightfully so.
I'm starting to think the same, although personally I believe he should be suspended. We'll see.

I need to look at the stats but I'm not sure he "fell off" after Fairley's injury. I forgot who said that here.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Obviously John.

The douche has a hotter wife and probably had way more chicks, but John actually looks content and happy whereas the douche looks miserable or angry 99% of the time.

I would rather have the douche for my coach though. I want my coach to be miserable and angry most of the time!

Called it!

Also I suppose John may win this contest because he's way better at his job than Jim.

John lives a more dangerous life though, he deals with numerous thugs on a daily basis. Poor guy is probably scared to go into work every morning, definetly not a safe environment for kids.

John lives a more dangerous life though, he deals with numerous thugs on a daily basis. Poor guy is probably scared to go into work every morning, definetly not a safe environment for kids.
Imagine going to work everyday and seeing Suggs face to face... It's a miracle he's still alive. Truly some sort of insane thrill seeker.

bionic77

I searched for Bell on Google news to see if there was any updates on Bell's injury.

While doing so I also learned that Dustin Diamond is in jail for stabbing a person on Christmas during a drunken bar fight. I also learned that he lives in Wisconsin and is a Packers fan.

:lol

Packer fans are now in contention for being the worst with this one addition!

Jags fire their offensive coordinator:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/30/jaguars-fire-offensive-coordinator-jedd-fisch/

Trestman named as a possible candidate by one of the media folks in jacksonville.
I think the Trestman system has a better chance of working in the AFC. Just don't see it happening with Blake Bortles, brah fades away more than Dirk Nowitzki.

And that breakdown on Andy Dalton reminds me so much of Winston. He cannot make an anticipation throw.

Dragon

Banned

Smart TVs are pointless, agreed. Their software is so slow and bloated compared to something like Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire Stick that I wonder how any of these manufacturers think it's okay.

4K TVs are weird, because there really isn't any real content to display on them. Plus just the fact that they're called 4K is dumb. 1080p isn't called 2K even though based on how 4K is named it should. Stupid manufacturers!

bionic77

Smart TVs are pointless, agreed. Their software is so slow and bloated compared to something like Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire Stick that I wonder how any of these manufacturers think it's okay.

4K TVs are weird, because there really isn't any real content to display on them. Plus just the fact that they're called 4K is dumb. 1080p isn't called 2K even though based on how 4K is named it should. Stupid manufacturers!
The Netflix app on my new Samsung is decent actually.

So is the youtube app.

Not sure I will say that 2 years from now but it seems to have gotten much better.

My tv advice currently is for reasonable people by the best and largest 1080P tv you can afford today (most are not that bad until you get past 65").

Otherwise if you really want to be a baller get the LG 1080P OLED screen. I understand the Samsung OLED is better but I don't think you can buy it currently (and it is $10k).

4K TVs are weird, because there really isn't any real content to display on them. Plus just the fact that they're called 4K is dumb. 1080p isn't called 2K even though based on how 4K is named it should. Stupid marketing
Fixed.

Though I don't know if I'd call it stupid. 3840 X 2160 TV's doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue.

zychi

Banned
The Netflix app on my new Samsung is decent actually.

So is the youtube app.

Not sure I will say that 2 years from now but it seems to have gotten much better.

My tv advice currently is for reasonable people by the best and largest 1080P tv you can afford today (most are not that bad until you get past 65").

Otherwise if you really want to be a baller get the LG 1080P OLED screen. I understand the Samsung OLED is better but I don't think you can buy it currently (and it is $10k).

I tell everyone who asks, buy the best 1080p 3d tv you can buy. Don't buy it for the 3d, but they tend to have the best plain 1080p picture. OLED is always out of everyone's price range.

bionic77

I tell everyone who asks, buy the best 1080p 3d tv you can buy. Don't buy it for the 3d, but they tend to have the best plain 1080p picture. OLED is always out of everyone's price range.
Yeah my tv is 3D.

The glasses were never taken out of the box.

I am not even sure if my PS4 supports 3D blurays. Nor do I care.

Fixed.

Though I don't know if I'd call it stupid. 3840 X 2160 TV's doesn't exactly roll off of the tongue.
UltrabigdickHD was the alternative from the marketing department.

It didn't play well in middle america. They loved in in Cali though!

bionic77

My next big purchase is a projector. Shooting for Super Bowl time
Questions.

How much would a decent screen and projector set you back? Is it something that should be professionally installed or could me and 2 buddies set it up ourselves?

I need a new tv for the basement and I have been leaning towards a big cheap 70" LED because my kids and their friends will play down there and I don't want something too nice.

A projector was also an option but it seems like it will be a lot more expensive. And they seem so fragile.

Dragon

Banned
Personally I'm glad I got a 2012 Panny Plasma. It has a great picture and it didn't break the bank. It sucks Plasmas are done.

zychi

Banned
Questions.

How much would a decent screen and projector set you back? Is it something that should be professionally installed or could me and 2 buddies set it up ourselves?

I need a new tv for the basement and I have been leaning towards a big cheap 70" LED because my kids and their friends will play down there and I don't want something too nice.

A projector was also an option but it seems like it will be a lot more expensive. And they seem so fragile.

Based on what I've read, I want to put the projector in a basement. There's very little outside light, and we already have the walls painted a white color. I'm hoping something like this works out. We have a finished basement and a little shelf was made above where the sump pump is, which lines up with where I want it to be projected. So I'm hoping I don't need to install anything else. If I have to buy a screen, we have ugly ass tiles on the ceiling, so it should be super simple to attach to a ceiling board.

I'm not getting too fancy until 4k/8k has more content, I just want the projector to simplify the basement setup.

TLDR; if you're handy, it shouldn't be too hard.

Personally I'm glad I got a 2012 Panny Plasma. It has a great picture and it didn't break the bank. It sucks Plasmas are done.

I have one too. Has 3d, love the thing. It's only 60hz tho, but that's okay for now.

I have two. The Panny 50inch VT25 upstairs and the 55inch VT50 in my den.

LOVE plasma. Utterly despise LED/LCD. OLED will be my next TV unless there is another technology that comes down the pike or LED improves black level substantially.

That is pretty reasonable.

About a grand for a 70" screen. And I am sure it won't be much more to upgrade to 100".
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EP5EPC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nope. Not much more.

Top Bottom