• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm sorry, the guy has to have some level of football/personnel knowledge. Reese had years of scouting experience before he ended up the General Manager for the Giants. Ted Thompson was a scout. Kevin Colbert was a coach and scout.

Hiring an accountant will get you the exact results you saw with the Jets.

Apparently not enough since he's fired.;)

Cmon, let's not pretend like Reese has hit home runs here. If not for Beckham he would be on the hot seat if not fired. We got nothing out of the 2012 draft, last year we got Pugh and that's it. It's embarrassing.

I always fall back to what I am taught. The party line is that Henry Ford wasn't the smartest guy, but he surrounded himself with smart people.

How close are you to the set out of curiosity?
I want to say a ballpark of 15ft but I'll verify when I get home.
I don't really see a big difference between 4K and 1080P for most content. It is really only noticeable on a huge screen for a scene with a ton of detail. Honestly I won't give a shit until sports supports it. That seems very far away as we can't even support high fidelity 1080P via cable or satellite. Seems like a waste to me. This coming from a guy who hates watching dvds anymore after bluray.

OLED on the other hand blew me away. The blacks and the smoothness of everything in motion is something you have to see in person.

I think this is namely because there isn't much 4K content yet to observe but I've seen demos and I've up scaled from 1080p and in both instances I noticed a difference. TV and console games won't get there anytime soon but I'm doing it for movies. I can get the tv experience via netflix too if I decide to subscribe to 4K streaming but that won't be worth it until they have a decent library built up. I bought the tv now because my long time roommate just moved out and owned pretty much everything in the living room so I'm replacing everything and decided to make my TV future proof for a while. I do want OLED but I figure when I can get one that's 70" for 3 grand, I'll bite. In the meantime, this is a pretty sweet tv that didn't break the bank and I can enjoy up scaling in the interim.

Draxal

Cmon, let's not pretend like Reese has hit home runs here. If not for Beckham he would be on the hot seat if not fired. We got nothing out of the 2012 draft, last year we got Pugh and that's it. It's embarrassing.

I always fall back to what I am taught. The party line is that Henry Ford wasn't the smartest guy, but he surrounded himself with smart people.

Ross gets alot of shit more than Reese, I've been down on Reese but he's only mainly responsible for 1st and 2nd rounds, while Ross is mainly for the lower rounds, and the lower rounds have produced jack shit recently (this year looks to be an exception with Kennard). While he was in Ross's role he helped nail some of the lower picks that excelled for the Giants like Diehl.

Person the Giants miss is Gettleman.

cdyhybrid

I think if you're the GM, who presumably has final say on (and thus accountability for) personnel decisions, it would be better if you had a background in scouting. That is, assuming your goal is to build a winning team and not just make a profit.

The cap management stuff is important, obviously, but I think I'd rather have a guy with a scouting background and cap management assistants than the other way around.

At no point did I make any statement claiming Reese was a 100% home run hitter or the greatest GM ever. He was an example among a few listed. Though are you going to seriously argue a 2 time Super Bowl winning GM is unsuccessful? I say "Come on" to you sir.

I've given Reese plenty of shit for his drafts here, bro. At the end of the day it doesn't change my stance - I think its important for a GM to have some level of personnel knowledge. A cap guy has his place but it isn't running an entire football organization.

Also, with or without Beckham Reese wasn't going to be fired. 3 GM's in 35 years, Wellington. You seriously think he was going to be dumped? Coughlin? For sure. Reese wasn't going anywhere.

EDIT: One another thing - last year we got Pugh and that's it? Hankins is nothing then? Demontre Moore is garbage while Fewell trots 100 year old Kiwi on the field? Really? Last year was a pretty solid draft man. Cooper Taylor could be something at safety if he could get healthy, too.

Fantomex

I got an XBONE. Now I have all the systems. MRSA step up to the streets you poor!

tumblr_myy287pqJj1sqjmvmo1_400.gif

ShaneB

I'm just back from the cabin, and this thread is already at 20 pages?! My goodness.

Bummed the Chiefs couldn't make it, but certainly hoping that it's four good games this weekend.

JABEE

I kind of want Suh to play because it won't matter one bit in the outcome and I want Kas with fewer excuses.

"Suh was thrown off his game after the suspension. The rest of the team followed. It's hard to play the game of football when you are being suspended for making football plays. The refs and the league don't want to see Suh win."

Pro

"Suh was thrown off his game after the suspension. The rest of the team followed. It's hard to play the game of football when you are being suspended for making football plays. The refs and the league don't want to see Suh win."

Key word "fewer" excuses.

I cried. I knew there was something fishy about the whole departure. Arians would have been perfect for this team :/
Would Arians have been able to break into the void known as Cutler? I mean he has done a phenomenal job with Palmer, but Cutler... Is a different breed altogether.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No one in this thread will be able to ignore the Restoration of the Roar. First Dallas falls. Then the roar will endure.

Draxal

At no point did I make any statement claiming Reese was a 100% home run hitter or the greatest GM ever. He was an example among a few listed. Though are you going to seriously argue a 2 time Super Bowl winning GM is unsuccessful? I say "Come on" to you sir.

I've given Reese plenty of shit for his drafts here, bro. At the end of the day it doesn't change my stance - I think its important for a GM to have some level of personnel knowledge. A cap guy has his place but it isn't running an entire football organization.

Also, with or without Beckham Reese wasn't going to be fired. 3 GM's in 35 years, Wellington. You seriously think he was going to be dumped? Coughlin? For sure. Reese wasn't going anywhere.

EDIT: One another thing - last year we got Pugh and that's it? Hankins is nothing then? Demontre Moore is garbage and should be released? Really? Last year was a pretty solid draft man. Cooper Taylor could be something at safety if he could get healthy, too.

Wilson was a freak injury you can't blame him on that as well, and Randle has flashed which is more than say Jernigan or Barden ever did.

2012 draft was derailed by Robinson/Hosley doing nothing, but 2013/4 have been really solid so far.

Wilson was a freak injury you can't blame him on that as well, and Randle has flashed which is more than say Jernigan or Barden ever did.

2012 draft was derailed by Robinson/Hosley doing nothing, but 2013/4 have been really solid so far.
Agreed. 2014 could be his best draft since '07 if the players in question continue to progress.

EDIT: One another thing - last year we got Pugh and that's it? Hankins is nothing then? Demontre Moore is garbage while Fewell trots 100 year old Kiwi on the field? Really? Last year was a pretty solid draft man. Cooper Taylor could be something at safety if he could get healthy, too.

Agreed GM needs to be able to scout. JS biggest contribution to this team is scouting. Pete Caroll actually wasn't that sold on Russell, and Paul Allen gives Pete final say. So Pete could of over-rule JS, but he trusted John to do his job. John grabbed Russell and the rest was history.

zychi

Banned
Would Arians have been able to break into the void known as Cutler? I mean he has done a phenomenal job with Palmer, but Cutler... Is a different breed altogether.
Just need a guy who doesnt run a cfl based offense with no room for change and the balls to bench his rb who cant block a paper bag

Lol at xbox one fans hyping up halo 5. Still waiting for my $60 halo mcc to work properly. Why the fuck would anyone preorder or want halo 5 after the mess 343 has been with halo? Halo 4 was shit, mcc is shit, just cuz a beta runs two maps right? Fuck outta here

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
What award did he present?

No, he won that like he won high school state championships in his hometown of Dallas.

He won the "ESPY" for comeback player of the year after in 2011 he lead the Lions to the Playoffs and fucked around dropped 41 TDs and 5,000 yards on the NFL.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Laughable comment. His pieces contributed but that was Accorsi's team.

I have to disagree. The top CEOs and guys like Mara are concerned with what goes on in their organization because it affects the bottom line. They rely on their subordinates to help them make the money by getting butts in the seats.

Yeah, I tried to pass it off but you caught me.

zychi

Banned
No, he won that like he won high school state championships in his hometown of Dallas.

He won the "ESPY" for comeback player of the year after in 2011 he lead the Lions to the Playoffs and fucked around dropped 41 TDs and 5,000 yards on the NFL.
Who did they lose to in the 2011 playoffs? 1 and done right?

I heard the earthquake warning went off in California when Stafford got off the plane. Can you confirm or deny?

How about the fact that he won comeback player of the year as a starting QB for a losing franchise? That's like winning best food eater at McDonalds

Who did they lose to in the 2011 playoffs? 1 and done right?

I heard the earthquake warning went off in California when Stafford got off the plane. Can you confirm or deny?

How about the fact that he won comeback player of the year as a starting QB for a losing franchise? That's like winning best food eater at McDonalds

Who are you replying to?

brentech

As it turns out, it was just a calf strain. But Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers thought last week’s injury against the Lions was much, much worse.

“My initial thought was I popped my Achilles,” Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show with Jason Wilde, via ESPN.com. “That’s why I kind of stayed down. It was a very painful sensation.”

Laughable comment. His pieces contributed but that was Accorsi's team.

Now I know you're just kasing. We attributing 2011 to Accorsi, too? Since we're minimizing the contributions of that 2007 draft down to nub anyways. Not to mention Reese was Director of Pro Personnel during the time that Accorsi team was built.

Top Bottom