• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Crisco

Banned
I don't think the Lions have much of a chance in Dallas. Basically Romo will have to choke harder than Stafford sucks.

MRSA

Banned
Y'all need to lay off kas, he's good people. Although he's senile and fatter than his QB, he's still good people.

I got you kas, I defend every Californian no matter how fat.

Draxal

Atlanta by a mile. It is the most talented and you will have a long leash because the rest of the division is so bad.

I disagree.

2014 draft:
Round 2 - Weston Richburg

2013 draft:
Round 1 - Justin Pugh
Round 7 - Eric Herman

2012 draft:
Round 4 - Brandon Mosley
Round 6 - Matt McCants

2011 draft:
Round 4 - James Brewer

2010 draft:
Round 5 - Mitch Petrus

2010 Draft
Round 1 - JPP
Round 2 - Linval Joseph
Round 6 - Adrian Tracy (hybrid)

2011 Draft:
Round 2 - Marvin Austin

2012 None

Round 2 Jonathan Hankins
Round 3 Damontre Moore

Round 3 Jay Bromley

Look at how many day 1/2 picks we spend on DT/DE, It's an exorbitant amount.

This keeps coming up over and over again but I don't think the Giants have any interest whatsoever in moving Justin Pugh inside. He was drafted as a tackle and he's playing as a tackle.

If Coughlin is retained its even more obvious that will remain the case. That's actually one of my fears if Coughlin stays - that they'll take the improved play by the line at the end of the year as a reason to keep JD Walton at center and Richburg at LG which I'd fucking hate.

"That's the million dollar question, so if you pay me a million dollars I'll answer for it [laughs]. As an offensive lineman I see five guys that play. What's his better position? I don't know. He's an NFL right tackle for the New York Giants and is that his best position right now? It is. I don't see anything in the future that changes unless something happens in free agency or in the draft. Can he be a good right tackle in this league? Absolutely, I think he can be one of the best. He's gifted, from the standpoint of feet and hands and those type of things that you need to play that position in the NFL. Even when he was drafted, I know everybody zeroes in on the thing about his arm length and things like that, but I don't get hung up on that like everybody else, I think if you're a player that has the feet and the balance that he does and you have the toughness that he's displayed I think you can be a good player at that position."

I don't think Flaherty is wed to that thought at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Someone is going to blow this dudes knee up one day. After all the bounty bullshit, there was never any evidence of Saints players intentionally injuring/trying to injure an opposing player, yet this fucker does the shit on a regular basis.

I've got to be quite honest--I don't see how that was intentional. I was the guy who wanted Raiola cut after the garbage stomp he pulled in the Chicago game, by the way. THAT was intent to injure. Suh was stepping backwards and he didn't even put his entire weight down.

Dallas vs Detroit

January Romo vs 0-16 Stafford

The stoppable force vs the movable object

27-17 Cowboys. Lions are one and done with that offense.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
lol @ the Matt Ryan complaints. All those guys that were hailed as better than Eli falling one by one. I wish I had saved that Post back page declaring Mark Sanchez the best QB in NY a few years back. Josh Freeman was also placed ahead of Eli on that stupid NFLN top 100 players list.

And as much as I've knocked Reese and Ross, their ability to find second round defensive tackles that play well is rather uncanny. I don't see the need to spend a premium pick top ten pick on defensive line unless for some miracle Randy Gregory or Leonard Williams falls down there (which they won't).

I agree with that. Hopefully Bromley comes around next season. The only miss they had was Marvin Austin, but I LOVED the pick at the time and thought it was immense value where they got him. He was a top ten pick the year before and slid because of the injury.

bionic77

lol @ the Matt Ryan complaints. All those guys that were hailed as better than Eli falling one by one. I wish I had saved that Post back page declaring Mark Sanchez the best QB in NY a few years back. Josh Freeman was also placed ahead of Eli on that stupid NFLN top 100 players list.
In 2014 with what you know now, who do you take between Ben and Eli?

I am sticking with Ben.

I think Eli had a better career than Rivers but on the whole that draft was ridiculously stacked at qb.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
2010 Draft
Round 1 - JPP
Round 2 - Linval Joseph
Round 6 - Adrian Tracy (hybrid)

2011 Draft:
Round 2 - Marvin Austin

2012 None

Round 2 Jonathan Hankins
Round 3 Damontre Moore

Round 3 Jay Bromley

Yeah, and where is the production? Moore needs more playing time, Hankins has been doing well, and Linval was awesome until we didn't resign him.

BTW there is a stark difference between how well DL players developed when Strahan was here versus how they have after he left.

Sephzilla

I've got to be quite honest--I don't see how that was intentional. I was the guy who wanted Raiola cut after the garbage stomp he pulled in the Chicago game, by the way. THAT was intent to injure. Suh was stepping backwards and he didn't even put his entire weight down.

Did you not see the second step he took where he lifted his first leg and put all of the weight on his foot (and Rodgers) and never even bothered to look and see what he was stepping on the entire time?

I agree with that. Hopefully Bromley comes around next season. The only miss they had was Marvin Austin, but I LOVED the pick at the time and thought it was immense value where they got him. He was a top ten pick the year before and slid because of the injury.

I am sticking with Ben.

I think Eli had a better career than Rivers but on the whole that draft was ridiculously stacked at qb.

Regular season game, I take Ben. Post season game, I take Eli.

If they could fuse the Manning brothers together into one player who had Peyton's regular season skill plus Eli's post-season abilities you'd have a godlike QB.

Round 1 Justin Pugh (OL)
Round 2 Jonathan Hankins
Round 3 Damontre Moore

Round 2 Weston Richburg (OL)
Round 3 Jay Bromley

Added in the two offensive lineman. Obviously the thinking has changed a bit as I firmly believe we will spend another first/second day pick on an offensive lineman this upcoming draft as well.

Frankly, looking past the lines - safety is a pretty substantial need for us.

I am sticking with Ben.
In NY? Eli.

Ben would have raped half the city by this third year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did you not see the second step he took where he lifted his first leg and put all of the weight on his foot (and Rodgers) and never even bothered to look and see what he was stepping on the entire time?

He is a 300+pound man moving backwards with momentum. I guess I'm not expecting him to stop on a dime. He didn't stomp, he stepped back and then moved forward. I don't think it should be a suspension.

Lifting one leg off the ground = putting your entire weight on your other leg, which in this case happens to be resting on some dudes ankle. Not to mention he had already backed into Aaron with his other leg so he knew he was there.

bionic77

Added in the two offensive lineman. Obviously the thinking has changed a bit as I firmly believe we will spend another first/second day pick on an offensive lineman this upcoming draft as well.

Frankly, looking past the line - safety is a pretty substantial need for us.

In NY? Eli.

I don't think there are many obese girls in NY so I think the city would have been safe.

Then again Ben can't fucking handle the excitement in bumfuck middle america. He would surely have killed someone or committed a horrible crime if he lived in NYC year round.

Bread

Banned
He is a 300+pound man moving backwards with momentum. I guess I'm not expecting him to stop on a dime. He didn't stomp, he stepped back and then moved forward. I don't think it should be a suspension.
but you said he didn't put all of his weight down which is just obviously untrue looking at the video

Sephzilla

If his momentum was carrying him backwards his first step might have been on Rodgers and then he probably would have stepped backwards again, behind Rodgers. His momentum just conveniently stops on Rodger's bad leg twice. For the record I honestly think his first step was accidental but the second one was pretty blatant. Suh never checking to see who he was stepping on and his lack of urgency to get off of Rodgers leg are also pretty damning too. If it was really accidental he would have gotten off of Rodgers with more haste than that and probably checked on him quickly too (aka act like a normal human being).

Yeah, and where is the production? Moore needs more playing time, Hankins has been doing well, and Linval was awesome until we didn't resign him.
Moore needs to add weight/strength, IMO. What's he playing at right now? 250-255?

Love his motor though. Loved it in college. Dude never stops coming.

Farooq

Banned
Re-reading that off-season thread was great. Those pre-draft discussions were pretty good. LJ had great insight as always.

BigAT

He lifted his other foot off the ground so that all of his force was focused on the foot that was on Rodgers. How is that not the definition of putting his entire weight down?

Lifting one leg off the ground = putting your entire weight on your other leg, which in this case happens to be resting on some dudes ankle. Not to mention he had already backed into Aaron with his other leg so he knew he was there.

If it was just the first step, it wouldn't be an issue. The fact that he took that step, realizing what he was doing, and then took took another after lifting up the leg, clearly doing it again, is the issue. The first step was an accident, the second wasn't.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

I am sticking with Ben.

I remember our battles friend.

I think it's splitting hairs at this point and I'd go with Eli but both of our choices are shaded by our team preferences. If the variables were evened out (offensive system, skill players, OL, etc) then I think you end up with the same player. Looking at Arians in Arizona right now, I'm jealous that Ben got to work with him in his formative years versus John Hufnagel for Eli. I'm jealous that right now your skill players are Brown, Bell, Bryant, Heath and Wheaton. But next year Eli will have Cruz, OBJ, and Randle in top form.

Rivers has had 3 issues holding him back from a trophy: AJ Smith, Tom Brady, and Peyton.

Draxal

Frankly, looking past the lines - safety is a pretty substantial need for us.

In NY? Eli.

Safety is a gigantic need, and I'm in the belief that a change in DC will improve the production of our defensive lineman including JPP (who I also will retain).

At 9, there's a good amount of offensive tackles that we can pick, no safeties (there's no Eric Berry's this year); and there are some defensive ends, but the ones that would make us really happy would be gone by then (Gregory/Williams).

Skip: Suh should be suspend but he's gonna be fined

Stephen A: I believe it was intentional but I don't know that, nobody knows that. I believe but I don't know that. The fact that he was being blocked into him, I don't know. So seeing as it's a playoff game I need to know definitively.

And here I though both of them was gonna just throw Suh under the bus. Stephen A makes a good point. Yeah we all here thinks it was intentional(myself included) but there's grey area in this unlike Raiola's stomp being the fact that Lang kinda blocked him into and the League is gonna take it into account. I'm not saying Suh's not going to be suspended(He should) but the grey area may save him. He's at least getting fined though.

Plinko

but you said he didn't put all of his weight down which is just obviously untrue looking at the video

If his momentum was carrying him backwards his first step might have been on Rodgers and then he probably would have stepped backwards again, behind Rodgers. His momentum just conveniently stops on Rodger's bad leg twice. For the record I honestly think his first step was accidental but the second one was pretty blatant.

Sorry--I worded it incorrectly. I meant that he didn't put all his weight down forcefully like a stomp. The previous Suh stomp, the Raiola stomp, this wasn't even close. Again, I guess I don't see how that warrants a suspension.

Is Suh stupid? Yes. Do I want the team to spend $30 million on this guy next year? No. I'd rather have him gone and upgrade other positions. But I don't think a suspension is necessary for this.

Great OP, Buckethead. As usual.

Just looked at the coaching article on nfl.com. Kinda funny how the Browns had to confirm Pettine is coming back. Dude did a great job in s1 even with the JFF distraction. It really is nice to see that team becoming competitive again. Steelers vs Browns used to be such a heated rivalry but it's been one sided for a while now.

Now for the current rivalry. Road Flacco needs to lay an egg and not emerge from his own flames like an DPhoenIx.

Go Steelers!

Crisco

Banned
These dudes are the best athletes in the world, pull off some other worldly shit going full speed on the field, and some of ya'll think they don't know where their feet are when slowly stepping backwards? Come on.

Sephzilla

Sorry--I worded it incorrectly. I meant that he didn't put all his weight down forcefully like a stomp. The previous Suh stomp, the Raiola stomp, this wasn't even close. Again, I guess I don't see how that warrants a suspension.

Is Suh stupid? Yes. Do I want the team to spend $30 million on this guy next year? No. I'd rather have him gone and upgrade other positions. But I don't think a suspension is necessary for this.

Like I said previously. Any other player who does this might get a pass or a fine at most.

Suh however gets a suspension because he lost the benefit of the doubt a long ass time ago. Everything he does that's gray area should be treated like it was deliberate.

Spinluck

Skip: Suh should be suspend but he's gonna be fined

Stephen A: I believe it was intentional but I don't know that, nobody knows that. I believe but I don't know that. The fact that he was being blocked into him, I don't know. So seeing as it's a playoff game I need to know definitively.

And here I though both of them was gonna just throw Suh under the bus. Stephen A makes a good point. Yeah we all here thinks it was intentional(myself included) but there's grey area in this unlike Raiola's stomp being the fact that Lang kinda blocked him into and the League is gonna take it into account. I'm not saying Suh's not going to be suspended(He should) but the grey area may save him. He's at least getting fined though.

Those two are terrible.

brentech

Don't lump us all in with Kas. He was beyond awful yesterday. In the biggest game of his NFL career, to this point, no less. Detroit will be handicapped by that contract for a long time
I purposely didn't lump everyone.

Just said I wouldn't be able to watch him. He has his flashes, but he's often too inconsistent and that's the last thing a franchise QB should be. He'll have a clean pocket and throw off his back foot lofting it 10 yards over or into the ground.

bionic77

I remember our battles friend.

I think it's splitting hairs at this point and I'd go with Eli but both of our choices are shaded by our team preferences. If the variables were evened out (offensive system, skill players, OL, etc) then I think you end up with the same player. Looking at Arians in Arizona right now, I'm jealous that Ben got to work with him in his formative years versus John Hufnagel for Eli. I'm jealous that right now your skill players are Brown, Bell, Bryant, Heath and Wheaton. But next year Eli will have Cruz, OBJ, and Randle in top form.

Rivers has had 3 issues holding him back from a trophy: AJ Smith, Tom Brady, and Peyton.
Ben didn't have Arians for his formative years, but he was lucky to have had some good offensive coaches around him. Whiz is great on offense when he has a good qb.

I still think Ben is a better athlete than almost any qb in the game. Eli was probably always a little better at Ben at reading a defense. I think that is what it comes down to when you choose between the two. I will take the athlete because it was always more exciting (not many qb's are as exciting as Ben, talking about in the entire history of the game).

Outside of football you have to go with Eli. I would trust him with the hottest of hotties. I wouldn't trust Ben with my lunch let alone any woman.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
AFC

E - Patriots - Once again, the probability of all the head coaches of all the other teams in the division being fired is higher than them being retained

N - Bengals, Steelers (W) - Cincinnati has the most complete team.

S - Colts - One of these teams has an established, franchise qb.

W - Broncos, Chargers (W) - Will be a tough division with all teams being improved.

NFC

E - Eagles - By default. How the mighty have gone to suck.

N - Packers, Bears (W) - The highest scoring division.

S - Buccaneers - This one is for snes!

W - Seahawks, Cardinals (W) - The 9er's dig too big of a hole early in the year with so many suspensions.

SB - Pitt 34, Phi 2

I think I did alright with my predictions.

bionic77

He tried to hurt another player after a play was over. And it was clearly intentional.

You can't have that in the game.

He should be suspended with a warning that he is out of the game forever if it ever happens again.

Suh is the new Deebo. He's the face of Goodell's discipline in the league. It will be interesting to see what Goodell does here. Harrison would have been fined at a minimum. I don't think he'll suspend him but he had shown with Harrison that it didn't matter what point of the season it was.

tmdorsey

Love you Wellie, but I think the argument can be made Ryan is at least as good Eli.

eznark

Banned
Love you Wellie, but I think the argument can be made Ryan is at least as good Eli.

Matt Ryan: elite

iJ5sYrEWVGFch.gif

ibu5sCsXWbbQSV.gif

iMWCvzG0qGjWq.gif

ibrWtIY8ZS1uqD.gif

Mrbob

The biggest mistake suh made was going after the current golden boy of the nfl. If he steps on cutler no one cares.

Top Bottom